Jerkatorium
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, bass, keyboards
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Matchy Matchy, Hanky Code, All the Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XII - Round Two

Post by Jerkatorium »

This is the first Nur Ein ever where nobody has dropped out/forfeited by Round 2.
"Yes, I am a Muppet with B.O.; this song speaks to me." - Manhattan Glutton
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Damn, what a ripoff! :P
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

HA! I fooled you! I paid attention to the lyrics this time... kind of. I didn't really consider it one sentence if you delivered your lines broken at natural places that any song would have done before, which is basically almost all of you. For example, a lot of you started musical phrases with "and" - I would have considered ending on "and" to be more in the spirit of the challenge.

73 Keep It Beautiful - Fantastic take on the challenge - I love how the change in the melody and music actually does convey an emotional story. I would not have minded if the end stop turned into some crazy loud electronica from here and you added another 5 minutes.

Balance Lost - Very creative! I had to look up parataxis. The drums could have used more changes in the bridge to make up for the lack of other changes, but then what happens after is very welcome! It's a nice whimsical song that has a different take on the title than I expected. Because of the whimsical nature, the coherence as a work goes down... so I must ponder that before ranking.

Berkeley Social Scene - Nice groove. I like unexpected ahhh melody, and the chorus is catchy that I want to sing along. Can't find the lyrics, but it sounds like a pretty good run-on sentence.

Cavedwellers - Very cool guitar duet. Nice transitions all around - it's a very epic song! The repeated lines work well with all the changes backing them. I'm very appreciative of the first lead guitar coming in, in particular. I'm not entirely sold on what the words mean or what I should feel - kind of wish this song were about a Hobbit.

Glenn Case - Another song where you sound very Guster. And I don't mind. It's a bit of a plod, but the plod pays off with allowing room for some cool transitions. Nice drumming, among all the other things - it could probably come up when it gets drowned out, or ... even throw some distortion on it, if you're into that. I'm generally good with the guitar tones but I feel like they could be more Mesa and less Marshall during the hardest parts. The lyrics are a little clunky. I couldn't understand "finished" at first... I think you could have saved that line for the climax and the end, and even built up your sentence through the song like you do the arrangement.

Inflatable Vegetables - Much nicer drum tone than last time! Pretty good transitions. I like the lead guitar part. IMO, the lyrics aren't all that challenge-worthy.

Jerkatorium - Copy round 0 review, paste here. This is probably the only one that delivered the lyrics in a way that makes it feel like a single sentence.

Merisan - This is fantastic!! Do this more!!! Maybe Skub inspired you last round? ;) When the chorus comes, it feels very much like Garbage. There is too much to like about this to list, so let's just skip to the nitpicks!!! The "take me home..." repeating at the end is the weakest non-technical part, in that I don't feel the energy they should be conveying. After all that build up, Erin, sing raunchier! Challenge-wise, adding ", so" doesn't make it legit one sentence, but a lot of people did that so you're not alone, and the lyrics are an effective attempt. The mix is good, but the mastering/EQ could use some love - I feel like you're missing a lot of sparkle overall - possibly just a treble boost on the whole thing; the bass is a little muddy; the drums are a little dull - they're nested like a song where they aren't supposed to be the most prominent feature. To mansplain, I would probably start with cleaning up the bass EQ to give it enough jazz without muddying the song - roll off the bass more, then maybe bump in the upper mids; then, maybe the drums could just come up a smidge, or just have some mids to highs poked - the cymbals probably don't need to come up, just the snare and kick, but maybe this all could be accomplished by adjusting the master bus because the mix itself is fine. See this song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8jL2DPylmhE

Micah Sommersmith - Ah, the ol' Micah Classic. Challenge-wise, I think you probably made one of the better efforts with this particular structure - I might have been more convinced with musical phrases that end on "and" instead of begin on "and". Overall, pretty good, but pretty same, and the layering doesn't change much - could have harmonies at the chorus, etc. Kind of could do without the van part. I like how you're sold on the conviction of it all, sounds like a great relationship.

Nick Soma - I like the arrangement. Nice use of instrumentation and build-ups/bring-downs. I don't feel like the music itself conveys much emotion, and telling me so in the lyrics doesn't really make it so.

Paco del Stinko - This reminds me of playing Guitar Hero - very fun song! The changes all happen at the right times and make this speak volumes without singing. Nice work!

Pigfarmer Jr - Nice riff. I don't feel like you necessarily would have done much different without the challenge. The outro is cool - I like the backing instrumentation.

ROTR - Ah I like the mixed-up time sig! It's something to grab me, and goes well with the lyrical content. Nice take on the challenge and it all really works well together! The "talk talk talk" is great.

Strangelove - Hahaha. Excellent. The beginning is a bit of a weak run-on sentence and could have been tighter, but the interspersing of it is perfect. The track could have used some more mastering polish - songs like this are typically very loud and you can feel the bass kick in your teeth.

Wendy Wiseman Fisher - Very nice vocal work! You talk a lot for someone who is tired of talking!!! You handled the challenge well, but the title indicates an exasperation that isn't there!

Zed Dead Baby
- Yes. Some people might hear this as dinking around on the piano, but it is elaborate and has a build-up and feel that conveys the title. I do question where the sentence is, but maybe it's just "!"

Skub (immune) - I'm glad you made a song despite being immune! It's a good song. I almost wonder if you accidentally jumped to the guest round! The one sentence challenge doesn't feel very fulfilled here, but you're allowed that!

Most coherent challenge: 73, Paco, ROTR, Zed Dead Baby, Glenn Case
Most creative challenge: Balance Love, strangelove
Best song: Mersian

Have not decided how the challenge will affect my rankings. Now accepting bribes.
Last edited by Manhattan Glutton on Mon May 01, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WendyWisemanFisher
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: piano, voice
Recording Method: Mixcraft 7
Submitting as: Wendy Wiseman Fisher

Post by WendyWisemanFisher »

Um. You are all insanely good at making music.

Skub - I like the crowd-casual, homey style of this
Zed - Impressive. Did you play that or was that notation/midi? And fugue or invention?
WWF- My initials are magnificent if I do say so myself.
Strangelove - Yaaaaas. Love the spoken vocal performance and splices. Really clever way to use the lyrics. And wow the music. Love. Love. Love. Wow. The one I'm most likely to play for my friends.
ROTR - This song might be stronger if you began it right at the riff right before the vocals start and if the vocals were louder in the mix. Really solid playing and singing, and I love the "talk, talk, talk" hook. ORGAN SOLO YAAAAS.
Pigfarmer - I think you've nailed cohesive crowd-pleasers. I dig the "doo dn doo" hook.
Paco - This is something that Sonic the Hedgehog would run to; and the production is doing it right. Impressive.
Nick - Spooky-glorious. Love the heartbeat drum. I'm reminded of Orbital's "The Box."
Micah - The lyrics are clever and relatable, and the delivery is likable. The song changes up wonderfully at just the right time. The accordion solo makes it. Solid.
Merisan - Bow-chicka sultry. Love those staccato harmonies on "white hot electricity" - they sparkle and zing. Love the na na countermelody. Holy production style Batman. Great example of prosody + interest + cohesiveness. Great in concept and in execution. Super polished.
Jerkatorium - Fred Schneider of the B-52s meets R.E.M.'s "It's the End of the World as we Know It" meets rocking chiptunes. I love the "um.... RESUME" section; that's the kind of musical surprise I really like.
Inflatable Vegetables - I love the literary quality of the lyrics. This song knows its genre and plays to it well. I feel like it would have benefited from a few more vocal takes and a more defined melody.
Glenn Case - Your voice. *swoon* Love the harmonies and the electric guitar duets. Glamorous and poignant with awesome contrast between sections.
Cavedwellers - I love the lyrics and the delivery. The intro instrumental was constantly interesting and well done, but it got a little chaotic for my personal enjoyment. Having said that, it took a lot of skill to make this.
Berkeley Social Scene - Immediately, I dance. Great "uh uh" vocal hook. I love the spare section right before the guitar solo. I dig the looseness of the vocal doubling and it’s emotional tie-in to the lyric.
Balance Lost - Great WTF intro. Love the articulation and delivery of the vocals. This song has a strong groove. I love the creativity of the vocal splicing and the stereo effects. Legitimately intriguing to listen to and also *pleasant* to listen to. This song is my jam.
73 Keep it Beautiful - Awesome after-midnight noir goth. The vocs are insanely menacing in the sweetest way. Crikey. Actually scary, yet so beautifully and tightly harmonized. Someone send this to the BDSM club scene. (It ends right when I want it to bust out into a huge drop or drum solo - I want to hear a remix so bad.)

*Edited for spelling
Because Zombie Requiem, that's why.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

WendyWisemanFisher wrote: Zed - Impressive. Did you play that or was that notation/midi?
I just wrote it out on notation software and the converted it to MP3. I would've liked to record it as a TTB track, but also realized that the high tenor part probably needs to be rearranged a bit to suit my voice. Too bad, because when the third voice (basso) kicks in, the lyrics are "meta meta meta meta meta meta meta," which would have been fun!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Spintown
Push Comes to Shove
Submitting as: Spintown & Company

Post by Spintown »

I’m pretty sure we just gave a perfect challenge for Dub Step remixes....

Strangelove - This is exactly what I was hoping to see people do. You crafted a sentence that could be broken down to use bits & pieces of. The dance track is a good choice with the lyrical limitations. I probably would have liked a shorter sentence that wasn’t such a run on, but it worked. Next step would be to have various versions of the lines. The rather bland reading of the sentence could later become singing, screaming, whispering or performed any number of ways...but well done.

ROTR - I like the sound, but the sentence is again rather uninteresting. Great idea using “talk talk talk” as a chorus though.

Merisan - Amazed at your ability to craft a song thus far in the contest. Not thrilled with the run on sentence as it doesn’t even read well for a run on. Can’t knock you much for that considering a lot of people ended up in the same boat. But it’s the only negative thing I can think of. Was a pleasure to listen to.

Paco del Stinko - I think it would have been better to have the sentence come early in the track verse at the end. I liked how between the 34-43 second marks your instrumentations gave me a mental image of 2 people having a back & forth.

Glenn Case - Nice little haiku. Honestly I’d have finished singing after the first time you sang your sentence. Let the rest of the song be an instrumental.

Berkeley Social Scene - Enjoyed the music a lot, the run on sentence was pretty good. After the first use of it I would have found it interesting if you had broken it up again instead of repeating it all again. Make it seem more gibberish like as the more tired you get. Nice effort overall.

Micah Sommersmith - Of the people who went the run on direction yours sounds like the most traditional song in the bunch. That and managing to tell a story better than the others is an accomplishment.

Jerkatorium - I was expecting a lot of run on sentences, and you’re the first I’ve listened to that really ran with that idea. It rocked, and I laughed a bit when you said, “um” and decided to rock a little more. Was hoping people that went this direction would craft their run on sentences so that fragments could be used again later on & it wouldn’t just be repeated completely a 2nd time, but it was fun for what it was.

Balance Lost - This is about what I thought I’d get from you based on what I’ve heard thus far. It’s not a bad thing, it’s rather pleasant to listen to. At the same time I wasn’t really moved in any way, and there’s not much of a story. Given the challenge though, I can’t really fault you there. Cool sound. You’re the first song I listened too this round, and I’m doing the reviews as I listen...so I have no idea where you’ll fall in my rankings yet.

Wendy Wiseman Fisher - This is a tough challenge for you. I mean it’s a challenge that lends itself to leaning on instrumentals, yet you just got vocals. However I think this was the catchiest of your entries so far, and it’s not a horrible choice for a sentence. Something people can relate to, while still being pretty open in terms of what they’re talking about. I suggest leaving a second or 2 of silence at the end.

73 Keep It Beautiful - I’m not sure how you got the 6 Million Dollar Man to run in slow motion throughout this recording process, but it might just be the best collab of the contest so far.

Nick Soma - While the music was interesting, the sentence you wrote basically says, “Yo I can’t talk now so listen to this..” lol Except you say it in a way to make it seem deep, when it’s just meta. Pretty music, but I wouldn't dive into it.

Pigfarmer Jr - Another run on attempt. The music sounded fine, but I didn’t really care for the lyrics. I wish more people embraced the limitations this round instead of trying to find ways add lyrics. That isn’t directed at just you, but most people this round.

Skub - I would say embrace the restrictions, but as you had immunity you should always use that to have fun & do what you want. If you’re going to bend the challenge you’re doing it at the right time.

Inflatable Vegetables - Ok, I’m very quickly figuring out that this round is going to have to be about a feeling for me. I knew 1 sentence wasn’t going to lend itself to a great story, but so far the sentences that have been chosen are rather blah… They should be something that’s going to evoke some sort of emotion since you have so little to say this round.

Cavedwellers - I was beginning to wonder if you had lyrics for a minute. The music was interesting, but a couple transitions felt odd to me, like around the 16-17 second mark & the 57-56 second mark. When it comes to your sentence I don’t really make a connection between the musical style & your lyrics. They just felt tacked on, and that’s a lot of tacks considering the run on you used.

Zed Dead Baby - At the time of me reviewing this, I’m not sure if songs are usually required to have lyrics, but in a round where you’re told to have the lyrics be 1 sentence I’d have to vote to DQ this. Will have to ask the other judges with more experience in Nur Ein though.
Last edited by Spintown on Tue May 02, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Just for future reference, my "vocalist" this week was Harry, the British English voice from this website:

http://www.fromtexttospeech.com

quite a useful resource.
BenKrieger
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: A lot of instruments passably.
Recording Method: Sonar, UA preamp, Apogee Rosetta converter; Garage Band; Zoom recorder; iPhone
Submitting as: Boop Boop, Chokehold Princess, Rattlebox, Oystercatcher, Solo Frijoles

Post by BenKrieger »

WendyWisemanFisher wrote:And fugue or invention?
Fugue.
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

A few notes on my song:
I first wanted to do something completely different, with a lot of lyrics like many of you have done. Didn't work out though. The combination of the title and challenge, to me, seemed to scream for a quasi-instrumental like PF's "One of These Days". The lyric came to me spontaneously. I immediately knew it might sound pretentious, but I decided to go for it anyway. Usually no one does instrumentals for SF/Ein; it's probably not the best idea. (Sorry Spin, for not having much of a lyric to analyze this time ;))
Anyway. I hope the music sounds nice. This track started out with just the intro and then evolved from that point on.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

One sentence reviews for one sentence songs.

73 Keep It Beautiful – What is here is utterly gorgeous but I felt the minimal arrangement let it down a little, by the end.

Balance Lost – Despite some spectacularly pretentious twaddle masquerading as words, the song itself is great and I admire the clever ways you worked around the challenge to keep interest from waning.

BSS – This is fine work but for some reason I don’t engage with it at all; perhaps because I wanted more of the energy suggested by that synth sound that you offer up at the beginning then take away again almost immediately.

Cavedwellers – Some great guitaring (unsurprisingly), though not too keen on your sentence as the phrasing doesn’t really sound comfortable (though great singing)!

Glenn Case – not my favourite of yours, unfortunately: though it is well put together and performed as usual, I just don’t think in this case the hook is strong enough (either musically or lyrically) to carry the song forward.

I Veg – While I admire the experiment, the klutzy poetry of the lyric makes this a harder listen that perhaps it could have been and the arrangement isn’t interesting enough to carry me beyond that.

Jerkatorium – a bit ‘meh’ for me – I like punky pop and a good way of addressing the challenge, just the chorus isn’t big enough to offer the impact I think it needs to make.

Merisan – Very lovely (though I did deduct a couple of points on my mental scorecard because I never liked Garbage).

Micah Sommersmith – despite the slightly rushed feeling to the mix and arrangement and the fact your sentence is so long it feels like more, I like this one for its energy and catchiness.

Nick Soma – I really liked the instrumental part just the words, when they come, undo the mood you’ve created faster than it took to set it up; or, in other words, a pretty, interesting but ultimately failed experiment.

Paco – I thought more people would take this approach to the challenge – I’m glad you did as this my favourite of the fight.

Pigfarmer Jr – I liked this the most of your entries so far as it sounds good and it has enough individuality to avoid being just a pastiche of other genres / bands as sometimes your songs can seem.

ROTR – Yeah, this will do – pretty fine and lots of fun.

Strangelove – I wish you had sung / spoken it yourself but can’t really complain as this is funky and fun, especially when the guitars kick in.

Wendy Wiseman Fisher – lovely singing but the sentence isn’t interesting enough to carry the song, in my opinion.

Zed’s Dead Baby – well, I’m not pushing for DQ here as you did publish a lyric that only consisted of one sentence (just didn’t put it on your song); however I don’t like either the music or the lyric all that much and can’t imagine how putting them together would make it any better.

Skub – Lucky you have immunity as this scrappy bit of fun fails to meet the challenge on multiple occasions (arf).
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

j$ wrote:
Strangelove – I wish you had sung / spoken it yourself
I would have liked to - but there are legal issues involved. This is a direct transcript from several of my first dates.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

sorry my reviews kind of suck this week. but here they are anyway.

73 keep - i do dig that moving filter on the bassline. I don’t mind the repetition of the sentence since it’s varying over time. The music is great. It reminds me more of “one of these days” than nick’s.
Balance - i learned a new word. The repeated sentence sounds are pretty great. The instrumental section is good. I also learned how to pronounce a word.
Bss - hmm, that opening guitar line sounds like something else. Can’t bring it up right now. This one is interesting, but i do feel like the repetition is too much here.
Cave - long intro! That’s not bad. Vocal part seems a little samey.
Glenn - not much of an intro. Heh. i really like the little section that starts around 1:38. Very nice guitars.
Iveg - should this not be called “never tired of talking”? I feel like it could have more twist to fit better. This instrumental section is excellent.
Jerk - grabs me right away. I dig that synthy sound there. Does “um” count as a new sentence? I like it.
Merisan - oh nice music there, the bassline and the synths and the…. yeah the vocals! So good. Love it.
Micah - one of the better challenge meetings, meetings of the challenge, er, that. I like how the sentence splits over multiple sections of the song without a lot of repetition. Mum mum! Good ending.
Nick - oh that’s a nice intro. Love the synth at 1:17. Not sure if i hear pink floyd in it, but thanks for the inspiration explanation (see 73). I really do like how the vocals come in and then the music picks up again afterwards.
Paco - nice guitar sound. I dig this instrumental intro. Quiet part is great.
Pigf - hey, nice vocals! Also a good challenge, extra points for splitting it up. Great bgvox. I really enjoyed this one.
Rotr - nice bass sound! Also, great vocal sound. The cadence of the talk talk talk parts is a little awkward. Probably a bit too repetitive in the vocals.
Skub - definitely doesn’t meet the challenge b/c of the intro discussion. I do like the split up of the sentence into sections and the group feel of the song. Also, the ending is great.
Strange - good music. I especially like the bit after the first vocal part. This feels like it cheats a little on the challenge but others have done the same. However maybe it’s the robot voice but it feels more like new sentences than other sung parts. Nice addition of guitar there. It’s fun! Hmm… silennnnnnnnce...
Wendy - beautiful vocals. Hard to say much about the music ‘cause it’s all vocals, yeah? I feel like as a challenge it meets fully, but as a song it repeats too much.
Zed - where’s the sentence? I can’t give you any points for vocals, lyrics, or challenge. Music is nice, kind of classical. But i don’t see what this has to do with the fight. A little meta, maybe, given the title, but...
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
WendyWisemanFisher
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: piano, voice
Recording Method: Mixcraft 7
Submitting as: Wendy Wiseman Fisher

Post by WendyWisemanFisher »

Congrats, Merisan! That was one heck of a song.

Now that I've been eliminated, I'll plan to shadow along via BYD and follow the fight. *grabs popcorn* GG.
Because Zombie Requiem, that's why.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Thanks Wendy! I'm bummed to see you're out, I really liked your choral piece this round. Sorry to see Ben and IV go as well.

Good luck in the next round all!

Not that it makes much of a difference, but, fyi to the judges it looks like for Judge 4 both Zed and IV got ranked as "2", instead of one being "2" and the other "1".
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

I just updated the site with my copy of the numbers. Zed came in #2 for that judge. http://nurein.songlander.com/titles/7C8 ... B9F9195BD6
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

My bad, sorry MG -

To get the results up as fast as I could, I had to retype the original score image shared to the judges (it had judges' names on it and a typo) - of course in doing that, I must have managed to make a typo in the process. The final scores were correct. Road to Hell and all that! Fixed now.

Congrats to Merisan, in another strong field.

j$
iVeg
Mean Street
Submitting as: inflatable vegetables

Post by iVeg »

Some amazing songs. Congrats Merisan!
I plan to post in Ohne Ruhm this week.
facebook.com/ivegband
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Sorry for my absence over the last few days when it comes to doing updates. It's mostly because of a new job (at the old job).
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I'm not inclined to sound sycophantic but genuinely sad to see the eliminations this week. Wendy's vocals have been unique and stellar, IV's leftfield inventiveness will be missed and Ben is one of the most talented fighters among us.

On the other hand, i'm glad to have been well outside the danger zone. The field is getting stronger. Nur on!