Get Out Your Telescope For The (Gamma-Ray Burst Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Get Out Your Telescope For The (Gamma-Ray Burst Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

... maybe you'll see something you like.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: Get Out Your Telescope For The (Gamma-Ray Burst Reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Well, someone out there is a real sweetheart. Or perhaps sweatheart is more accurate.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Well, someone ...
It amuses me that you posted that at exactly 4:20. Edit: and now the time says 6:20. I swear it said 4:20 before.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

ST Mike. It said 4:20 for me before I logged in. 6:20 now. Are you in CST?

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Starfinger's song is everything I hope for in a Starfinger song. Loved it.
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Post by BoffoYux »

I thought it was screwy timing on the board as well. When I woke up the computer, it gave post times 3 weeks out for what I did the previous night and had logged me out. I logged back in, and the dates were correct.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Maybe the board is trying to tell you something, Tommy. I'm not saying it is... just mentioning the possibility.

starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Lunkhead wrote:Starfinger's song is everything I hope for in a Starfinger song. Loved it.
Thanks!!
Galaxy5
A New Player

Post by Galaxy5 »

Aight let's do this!

dark side of the son: I like the cigarette pack guitar amp tone off the top. Off we go into Grateful Dead land... not a bad comparison either. Some tuning issues in there...not sure where. For my money, the lowest voice is unnecessary, feels like it weakens the melody, and all the voices together, being not exactly together in cadence makes for a tough intelligibility score. I like the vibe overall though and I like the guitar hook/lead - don't hear that much these days. I wish for a clearer, tighter recording of everything but I can dig the song writing.

wreckdom: is this the most structured wreckdom song ever? nice. I can totally get behind sub 2 minutes songs of any kind. Leave 'em wanting more. Or something. I love the warbly-ass chaos beam that slides around the backing tracks from start to finish. Nice touch.

lookout joe: the spacey synth run down at the end of the intro was a nice touch. Sorry the first intro..we're 40s in and you're losing me with the second intro/beat variation... I like what you're trying to do with the vox/melody but it's not hitting. Adding more voices that aren't on pitch doesn't make it better ...just sayin'. Dig when the ripping guitar busts in though! the mumbled vox is a wet blanket. Some mic technique, judicious eq, compression might help the clarity some. Unless you did all of that. ;) Shout out for the gamma ray sound fx, I feel you.

it damn near killed em gonna go ahead and assume this wreckdom's alter ego (which is funny). i'll admit the opening salvo "my man's excited for 12" grabbed me. But it was the spinal tap schtik so, no. aaaand this track is like having a sleepover in wreckdom's toy room. 2 minutes of freeform... meh. not sure this needed to be in this fight. just saying.

vom vorton those are some sizzlin' mf'n cymbals! I like that guitarpeggio. not a fan of the pitchy vox, no disprespect intended.. it seems unconvincing to me - like mean it! maybe it's exactly what you were going for? i long for music tracks that aren't tentative feeling. I don't dislike this song at all... the haunting pad-synth floating around the stereo field is cool... it all fits nicely. moody track - best so far in the listens.

starfinger I remember this name from some time ago so I'm expecting big things! Vox a little shakey off the top... flute comes in and I'm all what the... and then Starfinger nails it. That double tracked, echoy "heeeeeeaaad" with the glidey synth behind it - GOLD. I'm not a huge fan of the verse section, but that is more than compensated for by the great change to the chorus, the effing flutes and cool glide synth. oh oh ... we're into the talking scifi bridge jam out.... 2 points for cool gamma ray sounds. -2 points for dialogue - not a fan. although +1 point because it made laugh... "it's okay FULL POWER". Not buying the return to "shoot at his head" but that's execution more than anything - great idea. This one is now best so far in the listens. Cool.

Berkely Social Scene I dig the full bandness of BSS. Not buying the change from chorus to verse though. The harmonies aren't tight like I want 'em. playing is all tight though, as you'd expect. Bridge feels tacked on, but second guitar saves it... solo works. Enjoyable listen. Ok - I dig the chorus to the verse pattern transition better now that I've heard it a few times. Hmm... Is this better than Starfinger? I think so. Starfinger had more candy (and I like candy), but this is a better song. Tough one.

Galaxy5Unexpected results from a weekend jam with a bunch of musicians who'd never played together before. Banjo. Mf'n BANJO. Kind of seals it, right? ;) Good times recording all day, glad we were able to enter SF! Wasn't really the plan but the timing worked out. Will we be back? Hope so - but some of the guys have a hard time with communication so who knows. ;) (kidding fellas)
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Berkeley Social Scene - I like the live energy to the recording and the chorus is punchy (although the backing vocals sound a little shaky). Good lead guitar work too.

Dark Side of the Son - some nice guitar work right from the start, and the lyric is an interesting take on the theme (way better than my “consult Wikipedia for 5 minutes” attempt).

Galaxy 5 - I really enjoyed this one, but it feels like it ends before it really gets started. The mix and arrangement are great - banjo is surprisingly effective in this kind of track! I guess “I wanted more” is a pretty good kind of complaint to have.

It Damn Near Killed ‘Em - this is pretty fun, the guitar is filthy. The lyrics do feel a bit stream-of-consciousness but there’s some witty lines in there.

Lookout Joe - I really like the start of this song, you nail that kind of dreamy melancholy. It kinda loses me when it rocks out though, it feels like there’s a lot going on but everything needs a little tightening up to really work.

Starfinger - this is utterly insane, and possibly the best imaginable take on this title. I absolutely love the flutes and synth, and the sci-fi spoken word section is hilarious.

WreckdoM - I really like the rhythm of the bass and drums here, and that recurring “Gamma Ray burst onto the scene” line makes a good hook, and a smart take on the title. One of the best WreckdoM songs I’ve heard, I think.

Vom Vorton - this is me. I’m pleased with the overall sound of this song, but I think it just feels a bit… sluggish? I wrote the bassline first, lyrics last, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t, I guess.

Galaxy 5 and Starfinger my favourites, seems fitting that I like the ones with the spaciest names.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Space force!

BSS – love that opening groove. Really like this. Great driving groove. Everything is sparse, but sounds great. Great vocals. This should win. I do like a guitar solo. This is very danceable. These sentences are short.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Congrats to Galaxy5!