Berhinger cheap knockoffs off classic analog gear

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Berhinger cheap knockoffs off classic analog gear

Post by Lunkhead »

$329 for an SH-101 clone! I have a vintage one but dang, it'd be nice to have built-in MIDI support and presets and etc. etc.:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ger-ms-101

They're also cloning the 808 drum machine, $299:

https://djmag.com/news/behringers-808-c ... aled-watch

Vocoder only $600:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ynthesizer

And ARP Odyssey clone for $500:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/ ... y-for-499/
irwin
Mean Street
Instruments: insecurity
Recording Method: scotch
Submitting as: suckweasel, kasper, nutwalls

Re: Berhinger cheap knockoffs off classic analog gear

Post by irwin »

I was watching the demo of the Pro-1 knockoff the other day. The Odyssey is also drool-worthy.

I do have to say I am a little uneasy with the idea of trading on the name of fabled vintage gear and producing cheap replicas using offshore labor and cheap parts. Would I rather put my money where my mouth is and hand Dave and Tom my money for a real OB-6? Of course. But how many people can afford to do that?

So it is at least nice that the gear is out there at levels mere mortals can afford. Hopefully that means more tunes for all of us.
"Ouch. I wonder if this guy sounds like this when he speaks." -- Puce
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, I have those same mixed feelings. Even for folks who have or can afford to get some of the vintage versions of these, though, you have to forego things like MIDI and presets, plus even some of these old classics had build quality and reliability issues. It's interesting that Roland has done something similar with their Boutique line but they decided to go compact and digital instead of basically bringing back the original designs.
josh
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Kazoo, Vocals, Keys
Recording Method: Reaper, 4-Track Cassette
Submitting as: Zack Facco

Post by josh »

I'm surprised more of this hasn't already happened with the absurd prices used analog gear gets on the used market. Hopefully this does something to help bring that market back to sanity. I personally would be reluctant to buy one of these, even though sound and function (and even aesthetics to some degree) seem right on point. That reluctance comes from my experience buying used Berhinger gear in the past and having it be total junk as far as long term build quality. And I also have similar moral qualms supporting the "cheap parts and exploitative labor practices" business model. That said, I couldn't really slag a person for wanting to buy a brand new warrantied TR-808 clone that costs roughly 10% as much as one built 30 years ago with very little if any buyer protection. Of course it would be wise to factor in the likelyhood of the Berhinger clone failing just outside the warranty period and being next to impossible to fix (assuming they're using mostly cheap SMD parts, which they certainly are...)
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I feel like there have been a lot TB303 clones over the years, but less so on the drum machine front. I hope they do the 909 and 707 as well. I had a 707 for a while and the individual outputs were really nice.

I'm pretty interested in the 808 clone myself.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

While I'm unsure if it's a clone or an original model synth... I'm pretty sure we've used a Behringer synth on one of our more recent songs... maybe Reve will chime in with more info. That being said... I think maybe Behringer has a bad name due to older products or some of their more "cheaper" offerings like their plastic guitar pedals, which yes... they are $25 and they are shit. However I use a Behringer Xenyx 802 Mixer to record all of my bass tracks and any other mics that don't go through the main instrument/mic input on my interface directly and it's been solid. Also don't fool yourself into thinking Brand X isn't using cheap parts/labor in China, because they are. Also not sure why anyone is upset with "clones" in the music industry... every guitar/guitar fx/amp is a clone of something else... why should anyone be surprised at this point? It's music and music equipment and it's always been built upon the music or equipment that has come before it.

Edit: Completely forgot because it's not in my current setup... but prior to getting my Avid Eleven Rack and using it as my main AI, I was using a Behringer UMC202HD as my main AI and it's never had an issue, apart from not supplying phantom power properly when attached to my laptop, but that's my laptop's fault in that it doesn't supply my USB only powered Behringer UMC202HD with enough power for both the device and the extra phantom power, works fine on my desktop or USB hub with dedicated power supply.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.