Deals On Gear and Software

Ask questions and get answers about how to make music in any particular way. Hardware or songwriting or whatever.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Deals On Gear and Software

Post by ujnhunter »

It Might Get Loud Productions (Soon to be Ugritone?) has a free Drum VST, Anarchy Drums, for signing up to their mailing list... you can unsubscribe after getting the VST if you want to I suppose. Here: https://www.itmightgetloud.org/

STL Tones just acquired (?) Ignite Amps or something and they've just released the EMISSARY 2.0 Plugin Bundle which includes NADIR 2.0 and some impulse responses for free here: https://www.stltones.com/products/stl-i ... -in-bundle

Also a new website popped up recently that deals with Guitar Amp Sim software and they've put together some nice free VST/IR for all your Guitar/Bass recording needs here: https://honestampsimreviews.com/downloads/
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I finally fell for a Stupid deal. Folks here may be interested in this too. It's an all solid mahogany Fender Paramount series parlor shape acoustic-electric guitar with custom Fishman electronics and a deluxe hardshell case, down from $800 to $400. Insanely cheap for an all solid wood guitar (as opposed to laminate like most cheap guitars) with the reasons being that it's made in China and it's deeply discounted. I ordered one. I'm thinking I can very likely sell it for the same amount if I decide I don't like it.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... 5000001000

Assuming it's not a lemon, it seems like a really great deal for anybody on a low budget for whom their playing would fit the parlor style body (really good for finger picking they say).
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Today's stupid deal could be a good one for folks here. If you're on a budget and you're looking to step up to using a large diaphragm condenser mic (aka the kind of mic you generally should be using on your vocals if you want them to sound really good) instead of e.g. your phone or your laptop's mic, today's deal is the MXL V250 Condenser Microphone down from $200 to just $60. You'll need an audio interface or mic preamp that provides phantom power. And I highly recommend using a pop screen and keeping 6" from the mic and running your vocals through a hi-pass EQ filter and a compressor and some reverb etc. :P

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... ductDetail
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 am
It's an all solid mahogany Fender Paramount series parlor shape acoustic-electric guitar with custom Fishman electronics and a deluxe hardshell case.
Assuming it's not a lemon, it seems like a really great deal for anybody on a low budget for whom their playing would fit the parlor style body (really good for finger picking they say).
Any reviews? Too late for the stupid deal (by a day or two, it looks like :roll: ) but how is it?
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

So far I'd say it's fine. There's nothing wrong with it but on the other hand for some reason I'm not necessarily in love with it right off. Partly I've never really played parlor style acoustic before so maybe there is some adjustment there. I've pretty much only played dreadnoughts. In spite of being solid wood I have to say it still feels a little light and cheap. It plays and sounds pretty good although the action gets pretty high by the 12th fret. I may have to try to adjust the truss rod a tiny bit. I haven't tried the electronics yet. Overall the jury's still out, honestly. The case it came with is very nice though, haha. As I thought going into it, if ultimately I decide I don't love it I will probably try to sell it for what I paid for it.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop

Post by ujnhunter »

Sampleson has just "finished a spectral modeled Rhodes Piano Bass (yes! the one used by The Doors). We are releasing it for free to all of our friends and customers." Get it here: https://sampleson.com/fire-rhodes-piano-bass.html
Checkout with code: GETINSPIRED
which is available for the next 60 days or so to get it for free...
-Ujn Hunter
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

That looks awesome.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up about that.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

Very cool. I've grabbed it as well.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Optional challenge: Use a Rhodes Piano Bass in your song.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

If you don't have a large diaphragm condenser yet for recording your vocals, today's deal is an MXL mic down from $200 to $60. Make sure your audio interface has phantom power so you can use this. And get a pop screen!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... 1000000000
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Lunkhead wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:21 am
If you don't have a large diaphragm condenser yet for recording your vocals, today's deal is an MXL mic down from $200 to $60. Make sure your audio interface has phantom power so you can use this. And get a pop screen!

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... 1000000000
I forgot to mention I got tempted by this and pulled the trigger when it was on sale, so thanks for posting it (from me, not from my wallet). It has good reviews--hope it sounds nice!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Oh cool! What have you been using so far? I still have an MXL 2001 which I've had forever. 15 years maybe???? Wow, time flies. I use it for all the Merisan vocals. I think the MXL generally have a reputation for punching above their weight, in terms of sound quality for the dollar. Hopefully it works out for you!

https://mxlmicrophones.com/mxl-2001-rev ... t-forever/
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

yeah I am a big fan of MXL mics. I have a bunch of their mics, and the V63M and V88 are what I keep going back to for basically everything.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

I've been meaning to mention that Steinberg is celebrating 10 years of Cubase by offering it for 50% off. This is an incredible deal on one of the best DAWs out there. You can join folks like Lunkhead and myself and become a user as well.

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/celebrate/

fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

That looks like a pretty good deal. I'm still totally happy with Logic but I did use Cubase for a little while back in 2004 and it was pretty good too. This would be a decent upgrade for REAPER users, in any case.

(Also it's 30 years of Cubase. 1989 was 30 years ago. Even though it feels like only 10.)
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

fluffy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:07 pm
This would be a decent upgrade for REAPER users, in any case.
I went the other way! I used Cubase up until SX2 (I think?) and they kept making weird changes to it that seemed like backwards steps at the time so I jumped ship for Reaper and I think I'm on the Reaper ship for life now, it's one of very few bits of software that I have actual affection for, as if it weren't just a load of electronic pulses masquerading as a Grim Wraith. That I can use for Song Fightin'.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

@fluffy @Lunkhead: OK, well, awesome, I am excited to hear that you've both had good experiences with MXLs!

and oh... I'm embarrassed to tell you what I've been using so far, because it's a real piece of shit. (Also Vom is probably going to be mad at me that I'm still using this and didn't upgrade before Nur Ein, haha.) But it's this cheap little condenser microphone, approx $30 on Amazon, no pop filter, I just sing at it sideways, like a savage. (I'm sorry, I've been in enough actual studios to be ashamed of myself and this whole extremely unprofessional setup. But I bought a shockmount and pop filter and stand and all too, so look out, world.)

@ken: what do you like about Cubase in particular? I feel like that's one DAW I never seem to hear people I know talking about for whatever reason, so I don't really know anything about it.
ken
Hot for Teacher

Post by ken »

owl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:22 pm
@ken: what do you like about Cubase in particular? I feel like that's one DAW I never seem to hear people I know talking about for whatever reason, so I don't really know anything about it.
It is kind of hard to describe at this point, since I've been using Cubase (and Nuendo before it) since I started recording on computers. I've used Logic, Pro-tools, Garageband, and Reaper (I think, or some other freeware) along the way, but they never quite work as well for me.

In Cubase, I like the way takes just lay on top of one another and it is very easy to edit between them. Certainly, there are a ton of features I don't use, but the basic layout makes sense to me and is fairly similar to the other DAWs I've tried. The midi is pretty simple, but I like that since I use it for pretty simple things. I guess I would say the main feature is the audio editing, which I think is the best of all the DAWs I've tried. The included plugins and instruments are good as well, and it has been very easy to integrate 3rd party plugs and instruments. There are a few changes with the more recent versions that have taken a bit to get used to, and I miss some of the ways it used to work, but overall, I'm very used it Cubase's environment. It is also really nice to be able to trade entire project folders with Lunkhead. (Which is more advice to get your whole band using the same DAW.) It's pro software that works really well and is heavily discounted if you wanted to move from a lesser product. YMMV!

vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

owl wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:22 pm
Vom is probably going to be mad at me that I'm still using this and didn't upgrade before Nur Ein, haha.
I've been shaking with barely concealed rage for the last five weeks. It's nice to finally know why!
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man

Post by ujnhunter »

I'm always tempted by the MXL mic sales as well... then I realize that I already have a few MXL mics and I have no idea what the differences are between them all... right now I've been using an MXL 440 for all of my vocals... since October of last year... I had been using another MXL before that... before I moved and packed it away somewhere... but I don't remember which one... could have been another MXL 440 for all I know!
-Ujn Hunter