Song Fight! Live 2019: Gear Info

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Song Fight! Live 2019: Gear Info

Post by Lunkhead »

A thread for folks to talk about the gear that will be available at the show, the gear people will be bringing, etc.

I probably will be a bum and not bring anything. Sorry!

As per the hosting FAQ, ideally we'd have at least:

- a PA
- drum kit (kick with pedal, snare, hi-hat with pedal) with a stool and sticks
- 4-string fretted standard tuning bass with amp with cable
- 6-string standard tuning electric guitar with amp and cable and ability to be clean or distorted
- 6-string standard tuning acoustic guitar with pickup
- keyboard with a piano sound, stand, cables, bench/stool/whatever to sit on
- one vocal mic on a stand

Nice to have:
- more drum kit (ride cymbal, one tom, maybe even a crash cymbal and another tom)
- a second 6-string standard tuning electric guitar with amp and cable and ability to be clean or distorted
- 1-3 more vocal mics, and with boom stands rather than straight stands
- some capos
- music stands

Any or all could be provided by the venue or the local hosts or whatever, or if neither the venue nor the hosts have something critical we have in the past crowd funded the purchase or rental of needed items.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Song Fight! Live 2019: Gear Info

Post by owl »

What I've rounded up so far is in bold below:

- a PA--covered, the Rigby has an 8000 watt Mackie DLM system, 2 tops and 2 subs, 10 channel mixing w/EQ & FX plus 2 sends/monitors. They stated they have a rack mount quad DI they can bring in if needed, but if 2 direct ins are all we need, the mixer actually has 2 built in.
- drum kit (kick with pedal, snare, hi-hat with pedal) with a stool and sticks--covered, Grumpy Mike will bring this but I don't have further details about the kit.
- 4-string fretted standard tuning bass with amp with cable--covered, Micah will provide bass and rig. I don't have the exact gear details for this either.
- 6-string standard tuning electric guitar with amp and cable and ability to be clean or distorted--covered, I'll bring my Telecaster and Fender Mustang modeling amp
- 6-string standard tuning acoustic guitar with pickup--not covered yet, but if worse comes to worse I'll borrow one or buy one before the show as I wouldn't mind having one. My husband has a nylon string acoustic with pickup and a steel string acoustic without. I think they are currently both not in the greatest shape.
- keyboard with a piano sound, stand, cables, bench/stool/whatever to sit on--covered, I'll bring my Roland Juno-DI
- one vocal mic on a stand--covered, the Rigby has 4 vocal mics and stands (mostly booms but one straight stand too), 2 instrument mics and stands, and kick mic.

Nice to have:
- more drum kit (ride cymbal, one tom, maybe even a crash cymbal and another tom)--Mike will have to speak to this
- a second 6-string standard tuning electric guitar with amp and cable and ability to be clean or distorted--I can probably provide this, but it might just be a small practice amp and a crappy Danelectro, so if anyone else has gear to volunteer that would be great
- 1-3 more vocal mics, and with boom stands rather than straight stands--covered, see above
- some capos--covered, I should be able to bring at least 2
- music stands--covered, I should be able to bring at least 2
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

That all sounds great, thank you!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Oh, I forgot something, sorry! Some folks may want to use a device with a headphone jack to provide themselves with backing tracks. So another nice-to-have would be a cable to plug a headphone jack into the PA. Although tbh this hasn't actually been needed the past two years so probably not a big deal if something like that isn't available.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

1/8" to 1/4" adapter added to my list of things to bring!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

owl wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:25 pm
What I've rounded up so far is in bold below:

- a PA--covered, the Rigby has an 8000 watt Mackie DLM system, 2 tops and 2 subs, 10 channel mixing w/EQ & FX plus 2 sends/monitors. They stated they have a rack mount quad DI they can bring in if needed, but if 2 direct ins are all we need, the mixer actually has 2 built in.
Curious if they will provide a sound person to run the board or if that will be up to us.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

My contact said: "I’ll most likely be bartending so I’ll be around to help as needed thru out the night. An actual soundperson isn’t really necessary as usually just run vox, kick, and any aux instrument needs. Super ez,system pretty much runs itself once checked." So I'd say we'll probably want to have a volunteer or two helping run the board once all the initial stuff is set up.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

I will probably bring my laptop with Logic and a bunch of Native Instruments stuff, and a small MIDI keyboard.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

owl wrote:
- drum kit (kick with pedal, snare, hi-hat with pedal) with a stool and sticks--covered, Grumpy Mike will bring this but I don't have further details about the kit.
Nice to have:
- more drum kit (ride cymbal, one tom, maybe even a crash cymbal and another tom)--Mike will have to speak to this
I have a VistaLite kit with the standard rock components (3 toms, snare, kick, ride, hi-hat, crash). I also have an extra ride, crash, hi-hat, and floor-tom. I doubt anyone needs those, but I'm flexible.
owl wrote:
a second 6-string standard tuning electric guitar with amp and cable and ability to be clean or distorted--I can probably provide this, but it might just be a small practice amp and a crappy Danelectro, so if anyone else has gear to volunteer that would be great
If you have a cab, I have an amp. My cab is larger than a 10 year old child, so I'd rather not. Alternatively, I have an FX board we can just run an amp simulator out of to the PA - that's what I did in DC. In fact, I'll probably do that, now that I think about it.

I have a ton of stuff, but there are certain things I prefer not lugging about, and I also prefer not lugging a ton total since a kit is already huge. But if anyone needs something in particular, ask and I'll see what I can do. I'll likely be bringing a personal guitar or two that I don't particularly want to pass around, but if a group needs it in a pinch, it should do.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Basic kit components are plenty, no need for the extra stuff IMO. And the FX board is probably fine too IMO as long as it's fairly intuitive for folks to turn distortion on and off. Folks don't often have more complicated guitar effects needs than that and if they do they should bring their own stuff. With an electric guitar going direct we'd just need to make sure there was some monitoring for that.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

grumpymike wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 am
owl wrote:
Nice to have:
I have a VistaLite kit with the standard rock components (3 toms, snare, kick, ride, hi-hat, crash). I also have an extra ride, crash, hi-hat, and floor-tom. I doubt anyone needs those, but I'm flexible.
owl wrote:
a second 6-string standard tuning electric guitar with amp and cable and ability to be clean or distorted--I can probably provide this, but it might just be a small practice amp and a crappy Danelectro, so if anyone else has gear to volunteer that would be great
If you have a cab, I have an amp. My cab is larger than a 10 year old child, so I'd rather not. Alternatively, I have an FX board we can just run an amp simulator out of to the PA - that's what I did in DC. In fact, I'll probably do that, now that I think about it.

I have a ton of stuff, but there are certain things I prefer not lugging about, and I also prefer not lugging a ton total since a kit is already huge. But if anyone needs something in particular, ask and I'll see what I can do. I'll likely be bringing a personal guitar or two that I don't particularly want to pass around, but if a group needs it in a pinch, it should do.
Thanks for the details! Sadly, I don't have a cab to lend.
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

Scott might have a nice combo he can bring.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I don't suppose anybody local has a glockenspiel they'd be willing to bring for Merisan to use on a song or two for the show? It'd just be a nice to have, so no big deal if nobody has one or if it's too much hassle to bring it and set it up etc.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

My keyboard has various glockenspiel-like sounds but I don't have a real one.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

owl wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:41 pm
My keyboard has various glockenspiel-like sounds but I don't have a real one.
Oh cool! That's probably plenty good enough for us and easier overall. Thanks!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

I'm debating on bringing an electric guitar and a 2x12 cab and also a little MV50 amp along now that it looks like I may need to play an electric. The guitar is still up in the air but I'm leaning towards my modern player tele as it's the most versatile (s/s/h)
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Lunkhead wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:50 pm
How many music stands will there be again? Sorry if that was spelled out already. I could pack one in my carry-on. We might want to have four total if possible.

Also, I have some clip-on battery-powered LED lights, would something like that be helpful for folks being able to actually see their charts...? If so I could pack 1-3 of those.
owl mentioned bringing two above. If you bring yours and I bring mine that'd bring the total to four.

The clip-on lights are a great idea too.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Oops, I posted to the wrong thread. Oy. So ok, I'll plan to bring that stuff then.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

The clip-on lights and as many music stands as people want to bring sound like a good idea :) Thanks!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

So ... I just nearly tore off the nail of my left hand index finger. :( Will there be tape I can use on my finger so I can still play instruments? Jk, I can bring my own.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

I'll bring some spare fingers.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Damn. I've got a big bag of Songfight guitar picks to bring courtesy of Paco del Stinko .
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang