Happy holidays and 2020!

Complain about your schedule. Apparently people like that sort of thing.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Happy holidays and 2020!

Post by Lunkhead »

Hey folks! It's holiday time here in the US and possibly where you are too, and everywhere we're on the verge of a new year, 2020. I hope you're all doing well out there. Thanks for making this a great community! If you feel like sharing what you're up to for any holidays around now and/or the new year please do.

Erin and I saw her family and celebrated Christmas early with them, and now we're with my family. It's been really great to see everybody though it's been a lot of travel too and I've had a real bad cold the last few days. We head home Saturday and then it sounds like next week we're going to a party on New Year's Eve.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Re: Happy holidays and 2020!

Post by crumpart »

Merry Christmas!

Toshiro and I kind of cancelled Christmas this year because we’re in the final stages of buying a house, and also because all our family and friends are 17,455km away. Today we’re having our own roast lunch at home and writing our songs. I thought about trying to find an immigrant lunch somewhere, but didn’t. The good news is that after three years I can finally get through my favourite Christmas song without getting terribly homesick.

Also, my parents got us tickets to see Crowded House in Cork in July!

Edit: the other good news is that I got horrifically ill my first two Christmases in Ireland. No sign of that yet this year. Hooray!

Edit #2: ok, I lied. I got just a little bit homesick watching White Wine in the Sun. Just a little bit. Teeny tiny. Is someone cutting onions in this room?

Edit #3: fixed some spelling.

Edit #4: the two videos I posted had a baby!

Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Merry Christmas! One of my cats caught a bird for the first time this morning, and it was a Robin. He brought it into the house while we were opening presents - it's almost like he planned the whole thing...

Low-key Christmas with my partner, we have family visiting over New Year. And I'm back at work on Friday 🙄
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Happy holidays to everyone. It's 3:23 am and I've been awake for an hour or two with insomnia. And I'm not even twelve anymore.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

My parents (well, my mom/stepdad) came down a couple days ago so we've been enjoying they're company. They got me a new kick drum head and a steel tongue drum! My dad on the other hand mailed me new tom heads. This was obviously coordinated, but they *did* ask me for gift suggestions. :) It was an Evans Hydraulic Christmas. So you'll probably notice my drums sounding better in subsequent fights, cause this is the first time in 15 years I've replaced the drum heads.

And my kids are completely overwhelmed with presents and extremely giddy as a result. Yay! Now I'm stuck at work until 10 pm.
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Merry Christmas, everyone! This year is a low-key one for us--no travel. Madison is also very warm right now for this time of year (52F/11C). It's my husband's birthday today, but I didn't finish making his present in time, so he's gone to a friend's house for a few hours while I finish it up (I'm sewing him a dopp kit). I made a savory Dutch baby pancake (green onions, cheese, cumin, parsley, smoked paprika) with bacon and salad for breakfast, we went to take care of his coworker's cat we're cat-sitting (she is a VERY friendly kitty and was more interested in cuddles than food!), I called my parents and sister, and now I'm on my third? fourth? cup of coffee and I'm going to run the dishwasher and finish up this gift. And maybe make a cake. Any minute now. I swear.

Last night we went to a friend's house for a gathering with a few people, ate cheap Chinese food and drank eggnog, and watched a bootleg version of the new Cats movie, apparently produced by someone holding up their cell phone in a theater so it kept going in and out of focus, and plastered with online gambling ads. OMG the movie was
SPOILER
SPOILER_SHOW
just as horrifying as everyone's been saying--I really want to see it for real, except I also kind of don't really want to sit through it again.

I think my favorite moment of body horror was the part where the Rebel Wilson cat unzips her entire skin and takes it off to reveal that she's wearing a cocktail dress on top of another skin underneath, and then she eats a sentient cockroach?! But the fucked-up scale of everything in the surrounding world was also incredible and disorienting; they kept getting bigger and smaller compared to the objects around them, like nobody had ever seen a real cat before.

I don't know if it was just the blurriness of the version we were watching, but to me the lead cat looked just like the aliens from Alien Nation from the 90's and/or a loaf of Dutch Crunch bread?

Dame Judi Dench looked like the Cowardly Lion and she was wearing a fur coat on top of her real fur, but she had human hands.

Some cats had clothes and some were naked, and some had human breasts. There is no plot. I guess the closest thing is that the Jennifer Hudson hobo cat goes to the ionosphere in a flying chandelier at the end, because sweet death is her reward.

Oh and I have to admit I like "Memory," and the new T. Swift song they added wasn't terrible, but every other song in this musical is a candidate for the worst song I've ever heard in my life.
Tomorrow I have to go back to work for half a day, but I also get to release a rehabilitated possum back into the wild in the afternoon, so I'm looking forward to that.

@vowlvom awww, was the robin dead? I knew they were different birds, but hadn't realized how different American and European robins looked till I looked them up just now.

@crumpart if you're a Crowded House fan, have you heard this album? I found it accidentally earlier this year because I told Alexa to put on "Italian Plastic" and this cover version came up. I really enjoyed her interpretations of all the songs.

@Æpplês&vØdkã boooo about work, I hope it's not too busy.

@Pigfarmer Jr. I hope you got some sleep and @Lunkhead I hope you're feeling better!
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

We did our Christmas tradition practice take this year before the kid starts remembering stuff. Figured out traditions, protocols, in-law visits, etc. It turns out that celebrating St. Nick’s (on the 6th) as a mini-pre-Christmas is regional.

I may have jumped the gun on my excitement about him being interested in drums:
265B2C0C-5DA2-44A0-9E1F-5EF9AA2A1AAC.jpeg
265B2C0C-5DA2-44A0-9E1F-5EF9AA2A1AAC.jpeg (124.81 KiB) Viewed 1762 times
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

We've had family over all day and I'm pooped. But it's been a damn good day. Grabbing a few minutes to myself and somehow hit SF.
owl wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:02 pm
@crumpart if you're a Crowded House fan, have you heard this album?
I'm loving this so far. Seriously good a couple of songs in.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Boxing Day morning here. Too much white wine in the sun yesterday. Surprising lull in temperatures In the last 2 days. Even a tiny bit of rain. Gearing up for the next heatwave to hit in a few days. Happy Xmas.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

grumpymike wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:12 pm
We did our Christmas tradition practice take this year before the kid starts remembering stuff. Figured out traditions, protocols, in-law visits, etc. It turns out that celebrating St. Nick’s (on the 6th) as a mini-pre-Christmas is regional.

Is that the accent series? That looks JUST like my drum set but a smaller version!

And Owl -- it's not that busy right now, but that'll change in about 40 minutes! We pick up significantly around 7 pm here.
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:13 pm
We've had family over all day and I'm pooped. But it's been a damn good day. Grabbing a few minutes to myself and somehow hit SF.
owl wrote:
@crumpart if you're a Crowded House fan, have you heard this album?
I'm loving this so far. Seriously good a couple of songs in.
Sounds good, but I’m Not Entirely Sure how I feel hearing these songs sung in an American accent. I realise this is weird and dumb. I will revisit tomorrow!
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

Æpplês&vØdkã wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Is that the accent series? That looks JUST like my drum set but a smaller version!
It’s just ”Ludwig Jr” though interestingly the URL I pasted has “accent jr” in it. I got it because he likes banging on my disassembled blue Vistalite kit.

The build quality is surprisingly good (esp the hardware). The cymbals are the weakest link.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

owl wrote:
@vowlvom awww, was the robin dead? I knew they were different birds, but hadn't realized how different American and European robins looked till I looked them up just now.
It got up and flew away after Rafa dropped it outside, so hopefully no harm done! I didn't realise they were different birds, the American Robin is funny lookin'.

I spent the rest of Christmas Day drinking strong beers and rewatching both Paddington movies, then went to bed early and slept for nearly nine hours, which is perhaps the longest I've slept all year! Excited to spend Boxing Day doing very little indeed.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

vowlvom wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:04 am
owl wrote:
It got up and flew away after Rafa dropped it outside, so hopefully no harm done! I didn't realise they were different birds, the American Robin is funny lookin'.

I spent the rest of Christmas Day drinking strong beers and rewatching both Paddington movies, then went to bed early and slept for nearly nine hours, which is perhaps the longest I've slept all year! Excited to spend Boxing Day doing very little indeed.
Look at how adorable Australian robins are though.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

crumpart wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:20 am
what?!?! They're hot pink! And spherical! SO cute!
Are they poisonous? Can they kill you?
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

grumpymike wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:12 pm

<3
I thought this was the kind of gift you were supposed to get for the children of your enemies?
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

owl wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am
crumpart wrote:
Is not poisonous, will not kill you. A cassowary in the wild could kill you, and a magpie in spring may take a chunk of your skull, but in general Australian birds are not poisonous killers. They are also the best in general and one of the things I miss most.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

crumpart wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:33 am
Is not poisonous, will not kill you. A cassowary in the wild could kill you, and a magpie in spring may take a chunk of your skull, but in general Australian birds are not poisonous killers. They are also the best in general and one of the things I miss most.
I assumed everything in Australia could kill you, but I'm glad to hear robins are safe.

I've spent a total of 1 whole day in Australia (a layover in Sydney en route to New Zealand) and by far my favorite thing I saw while I was there was an ibis eating garbage. I guess the Sydney Opera House was nice or whatever too, but it couldn't compare to the ibis.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

owl wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am
crumpart wrote:
Yes. They are poisonous. They will kill you
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Oops....I forgotten how this stuff works
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

Arrrgh....robins.....
Last edited by Caravan Ray on Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

owl wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:38 pm
crumpart wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:33 am
I assumed everything in Australia could kill you, but I'm glad to hear robins are safe.

I've spent a total of 1 whole day in Australia (a layover in Sydney en route to New Zealand) and by far my favorite thing I saw while I was there was an ibis eating garbage. I guess the Sydney Opera House was nice or whatever too, but it couldn't compare to the ibis.
I work at the local dump. I went to our work Halloween morning tea dressed as an ibis.