Come join in (The Dregs Reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Come join in (The Dregs Reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Cuz you know they're gonna be tasty... or at least fun to read.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Come join in (The Dregs Reviews)

Post by owl »

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Damn....missed it by "that" much!!

Was hoping to get in this week after a long absence. Just finished a song - Sam must have just got songs up before I posted.

Nevermind - I actually wrote the song for the current Spintunes "song based on literature" challenge thing - and thought I could do a double up here.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Vom, your chorus is beautiful.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

Thank you!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Another pre-review review: something about the “awwrrrr” sound in WreckdoM’s song made me want to go and listen to Horse Outside about five times in a row.

Toshiro
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, vocals. Extremely bad keyboard.
Recording Method: Logic Pro, Focusrite ISA One, MOTU Traveler and assorted gubbins
Submitting as: Toshiro

Post by Toshiro »

Jesus Christ that’s amazing Owl.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Toshiro wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:25 pm
Jesus Christ that’s amazing Owl.
What he said.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Thank you! I was pretty happy with it.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

owl wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm
I am also happy with it. And not just because you breathed life into my silly sitcom musings. It's gorgeous.
.sig
pegor
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: stratocaster
Recording Method: blaming the equipment

Post by pegor »

Berkeley Social Scene:
This sounds like a straight ahead rocker until the chorus vocals come in with a punk sensibility.
I wasn't expecting that. The solo wandered away for a second but came back in the end. I like it.
Brown Word and the Big Whine:
There are some cool turns of phrase in here. I like the fuzzy guitar chunking along.
To me the keyboard sound suggests a different attitude from the rest of the song.
Glenn Case:
This is really good. Clean and listenable throughout. and an actually colorful piano chord, and a mellow melody line.
...just looking for something to complain about .... I guess I got tired of the hooky repeating arpeggio in the right ear.
Hot Pink Halo:
The center voice is nice. In a spot or two it felt like the backing vocal line clashed.
The drum machine fills aren't for me. good lyrics.
miscellaneous owl:
Nice singing. The airy voice and sparse arrangement really give it an atmosphere that works with the lyric.
I wonder if an occasional refrain (or even a full chorus) would give it structure, or hurt it? I dunno ...
Paco del Stinko:
Top notch guitar and songwriting. The singing is growing on me.
Phlebia:
Hmmmm. I think this is well done, but I still just don't like the song. Maybe some more dynamic variation in the vocals.
I think I wanted it to turn into a Tool song.
Pigfarmer Jr:
This is good. The time sig was distracting to me. Was it in a style i didn't recognize ?
... The gtr solo sounded like Irish traditional stuff?
Slither:
This is good too. intense but layed back trip.
The cry tone at the end of each sung line works but I wish it would resolve sometimes.
Vom Vorton:
This took a couple listens to like. the guitar part is nice. The voices in the chorus with the organ work great.
WreckdoM:
A stealthy assault on my sense of well being.
Æpplês&vØdkã
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Drums, bass, synths, guitar, whatever else is around.
Recording Method: Tascam dp006, Shure SM-58, FL studio
Submitting as: Phlebia

Post by Æpplês&vØdkã »

Not the first time I've gotten the Tool comparison! The back half I was going for a more OM vibe with the chugging bass, drum fills, and monotonous vocals. But Tool is fine, I do like Lateralus and Danny Carey is a beast of a drummer who I totally admire!
I'm afraid this one fails on pretty much every level for me. - Jim of Seattle

My bandcamp! https://phlebia.bandcamp.com
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

gizo wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:17 pm
owl wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm
I am also happy with it. And not just because you breathed life into my silly sitcom musings. It's gorgeous.
I'm sorry the sitcom didn't turn out very funny :)
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

5 votes from me! Wish I was in... I'll post my track later. @WreckdoM have you been listening to OhGr lately? I think your track reminded me a lot of "Feelin' chicken" for some reason. Heh.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
shoehornTC
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Uke
Recording Method: GarageBand
Submitting as: shoehornTC

Post by shoehornTC »

I wrote and started to record a song for this fight. Then I got super busy and did not get time to add the things I wanted to fulfill my vision (including the spoon solo). I listened to my rough mix last night and I really wish I would have submitted the freaking thing as is... oh well, lesson learned.

Anyway, I got so busy that I did not review, vote or even listen to the last fight, which is really bad etiquette, so a probation from the Dregs fight is in order anyway and I am glad I did not submit, and I apologize. Just documenting my internal struggles here for you lovely people. ha!!

and no, I'm not going to share my Dregs song, if anyone even cares. I'm changing the words a bit and making it into a hit song with my band. ha.

point being, "I'm the dregs", which is a exact quote from my song. ha!!
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

shoehornTC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:42 am
Anyway, I got so busy that I did not review, vote or even listen to the last fight, which is really bad etiquette, so a probation from the Dregs fight is in order anyway and I am glad I did not submit, and I apologize. Just documenting my internal struggles here for you lovely people. ha!!
Eh, we wouldn't have known whether or not you listened or voted, and there's enough regulars here who neglect to review that I doubt anyone would think too badly of you. I've reviewed and forgotten to vote before...oops.

I mean. No, shame! You should feel SHAME
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

Berkeley Social Scene:
A bit of a palate cleanser, I listened to WreckdoM’s before this in the review chronology. All in all, I kind of like this one, both in the context of this fight and in the context of other Berkeley Social Scene. That screamy higher pitched line in the chorus is working for me really well. As for the lyrics, for the most part none of them are really sticking out to me? Anyway, yeah I’m not sure that I’d be super excited if I was wanting a full keg and all of a sudden I had to be stuck with all the dregs at the bottom boo. By the time that the third verse comes around, my attention is kind of starting to wander, so maybe there’s something structurally I would have preferred to make this one sort of maintain interest. Like that guitar solo that finally comes in after the following chorus, I would have liked to hear it earlier. The main riff is nice and tasty and crunchy through. I don’t think it was needed to be repeated more after the solo...either that or the solo should have just extended through the end though.

Brown Word and the Big Whine:
Chugga chuggy! Synth! The chord progression and general flow of this track in the verses kind of reminds me of Zeppelin’s immigrant song but way more languid and without Robert Plant going WAHHAAAHAAAAAHHAAA on top. I like when everything else drops out a bit and then you do that funky bass riff, though it seems like it’s way too low in the mix. Like if the only thing happening is a funktacular riff, make that funky riff LOUD! And that it starts to incorporate an almost disco-ey flavor when you get to the “bottom of the barrel is a tangy brew” bit. I still can’t tell if you’re doing any pitch shifting on your vocals on this one or if your voice is just naturally high pitched like that. I think it’s that aspect of your music, mixed with “Brown” being in your artist name that makes most of your songs remind me of Ween. One time I spray painted a boognish on an abandoned dam in rural Kentucky. There was a ton of graffiti all over the whole structure, but there wasn’t a single boognish. So I added one.

Glenn Case:
Ahh, back in soft rock mode. I think your whispers may have been a bit better executed than mine were this go round, but they worked great. I find myself wondering exactly what type of job these dregs would end up doing. As for whether or not the dregs are better than absolutely nothing, I guess it probably depends on exactly the nature of the dregs that we’re dealing with! That solo sounds really good. I think I’ve figured out one of your tricks that gives your music the character that is has: you put 7ths and 9ths everywhere, and you tend to emphasize the “and” of the 4 a lot. Which usually sounds great. Those lower backing vocals that are panned way over to the right aren’t sitting with me super well, even though they’re on pitch. Wow, I actually criticized you!

Hot Pink Halo:
Your production is getting better and more clear over time, and this is no exception. This tune doesn’t QUIT hit me the same as your tune last week, but mostly because I think I’m a sucker for ¾ time. Anyway, I do like the chorus - there’s a certain degree of punchiness that comes with prominent swearing, and in your case it happens to work well, I think. As for the lyrics, I can understand the general sentiment of them. There’s a few bits that sort of fly past me, like the “Sang "toorali-oorali-addity" part -- I must not be Australian enough cause I have no idea what that means. But it can’t be good! Anywho, how many fights have you entered in a row now? I feel like we started entering regularly around the same time and I’m not sure either of us have missed a fight in months...

miscellaneous owl:
Well, the intro got a grin out of me, even though I wish that you’d been able to find a higher fidelity explosion sample, but the one you have works! Good lord this song is sad. But entirely relatable in a way that you really seem to have a knack for. I have to ask: how many hours do you usually put into each entry? Cause it seems like yours are almost always extremely high quality. In fact, this one actually achieves something that nobody has been able to achieve in awhile: make me like a ukelele song. And I think it’s because you do more that just strum simple chords; the arpeggiation and actual intricacy to the parts are something that’s missing from nearly every other “gal and uke” type track I hear. I’d tell you to stop being so good at this but the website would be worse off for it, so...keep being great?

Paco del Stinko:
“What’s Paco going to come up with with a title like this?” Turns out a relatively conventional ditty with relatively conventional structure and harmony? Though that upward chromatic modulation around “they are around you” is tremendous fun and classic Paco. The bit about the red cap is probably the biggest tell as to exactly the sort of people this song is about. Seems like the past couple fights have been filled with quite a bit of noticeable political sentiment. Must be something in the air. Or news cycle. Hmmmmm. Regardless, yet another well-composed song. The line about cream and scum is clever!

Phlebia:

I wish my schedule this week had allowed me a bit more time to work on the mix of this one a bit, cause there’s some weird vocal mixing issues that cropped up. Like I didn’t mean for the vocals in the second half to be entirely panned to the left, and they’re way too damn loud! I may fix that up and post it in either the prefight or the review thread, not sure which one would be better. Or just...don’t listen in headphones and it’ll sound better? Anyway, I was aiming for a vaguely middle eastern sounds, since this song is about tasseography -- the use of Turkish coffee grounds for fortune telling. Originally I wanted more arabesque influence in the track, but that didn’t happen much. As for the vibe of the track, the back half was basically me doing my best Al Cisneros (of Sleep and OM) impression.

Pigfarmer Jr:
Immediate points for 5/4, since it doesn’t come up much on this site. Something about the panning on the drums is a little wider than I’d prefer. I like your slight vibrato on the “But you did”. I also like how easy it is to find your songs in the lyrics thread since you tend to post them before anyone else haha. After the guitar solo, I’d like to hear another verse, there’s something about the way this flows where I think that straight from solo to chorus is a little bit abrupt. And the backing vocals near the end are a bit loud in the mix? I tend to complain about ultra-dry mixing a lot I’ve noticed. This is one of the more memorable Pigfarmer Jr tracks to me, and all in all I find it a pretty solid effort!

seventeen62:
Well, there are parts of this I like. I like the dark synths after “an evil stain on your heart”. I kind of like some of the lines. I think you repeat the “assholes on the internet” line wayyyy too many times. The guitars are too low in the mix, the drums are too low in the mix, the vocals are too high in the mix. And your timing issues are EXTREMLY noticable, like I want to go in and post-edit all of this to try and get it to line up better. Like that acoustic that’s panned hard to whatever headphone speaker would up being on my left is off time a lot. And the noodly guitar that comes in sounds kind of good, but it’s competing with that endless “assholes on the internet” line. And I’m trying to be helpfully critical of this because I don’t want to come across as an asshole on the internet, but I really didn’t like this song.

Slither:
I was wondering when you’d come back. This is good and as usual, your tracks sound so smooth in the speakers. I don’t know if it’s your voice or your mixing prowess. This slow, spacious vibe works for you. How are you getting that reverb on your vocals? It fills the mix so well. It’s not a VST is it? Or is it a pedal or something? Whatever it is, it sounds good. Whoa, is that an e-bow on that echoey guitar line with that tasty sustain? That sounds incredible to me! Weirdly like the only gripe I have about the mix, it’s that the higher toms are too dry in the mix, since everything else is so smooth, they’re just kind of...flat? I guess? And that change up where the synth arpeggio comes in, where you insist that you aren’t the dregs? And the backing vocals? This is my favorite slither song, and just barely edges out Owl’s for favorite of the fight.

Vom Vorton:
Rich low end, though that bass synth sort of clashes with that super thick kick drum and makes it sound a little bit muddy. Personal taste, but I’d prefer a “reedier” tone on your bass synth? Like a pulse wave with a really small pulse width? I’m loving the harpsichords, and your chorus is just delightful, well composed with the harmonies! Like last week, I like the kind of doomer-referencing lyrics, as well, I’ve worried about this stuff all the time. Have you ever watched Joe Pera Talks With You? You may appreciate the character Sarah. Anyway, the verses in this track kind of...float past me for the most part, which is odd because I like a lot of the individual elements of them but they just don’t quite come together for me. But chorus, very strong! Though maybe I’d like it better if it was just “the dregs” rather than “the rotten, stinking dregs”.

WreckdoM:
Like I just said to Vom, the bass in this is also way too muddy in my opinion. But...well, in this case it’s mostly just an overpowering synth kick drum, and I’m sure it sounds absolutely fantastic on a big sound system with a big subwoofer or whatever. And then there’s just kind of the random, sharply panned spoon solo that shows up out of nowhere. And that “awwwww” sample reminds me of the Gorons in Ocarina of Time. This chorus is completely gross. I don’t know if I’ve heard the term “bloody cum” used outside of a grindcore track before. It’s...catchy. The meter of this reminds me of Dr. Suess. But gross. I feel like I need to brush my teeth. I don’t know if this is my favorite WreckdoM song. It’s certainly memorable though!
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton

Post by vowlvom »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:26 pm
Vom Vorton:
Rich low end, though that bass synth sort of clashes with that super thick kick drum and makes it sound a little bit muddy. Personal taste, but I’d prefer a “reedier” tone on your bass synth? Like a pulse wave with a really small pulse width? I’m loving the harpsichords, and your chorus is just delightful, well composed with the harmonies! Like last week, I like the kind of doomer-referencing lyrics, as well, I’ve worried about this stuff all the time. Have you ever watched Joe Pera Talks With You? You may appreciate the character Sarah. Anyway, the verses in this track kind of...float past me for the most part, which is odd because I like a lot of the individual elements of them but they just don’t quite come together for me. But chorus, very strong! Though maybe I’d like it better if it was just “the dregs” rather than “the rotten, stinking dregs”.
All of the keyboard sounds on this are the humble Casiotone MT-65 so I didn't have that level of control over the sounds - the bass is Cello, I think, and there's Organ and Trumpet in there. The dregs need to be rotten and stinking to get across the depths of my discontent, I'm afraid. Not much I can do about that, either.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

sleepysilverdoor wrote:
miscellaneous owl:
Well, the intro got a grin out of me, even though I wish that you’d been able to find a higher fidelity explosion sample, but the one you have works! Good lord this song is sad. But entirely relatable in a way that you really seem to have a knack for. I have to ask: how many hours do you usually put into each entry? Cause it seems like yours are almost always extremely high quality. In fact, this one actually achieves something that nobody has been able to achieve in awhile: make me like a ukelele song. And I think it’s because you do more that just strum simple chords; the arpeggiation and actual intricacy to the parts are something that’s missing from nearly every other “gal and uke” type track I hear. I’d tell you to stop being so good at this but the website would be worse off for it, so...keep being great?
Thanks, that's really kind of you. Being a mediocre musician, I appreciate the encouragement! It means the practice and gradual shoring up of my weak spots is probably slowly kinda working. I'm pleased that I managed to get you to begrudgingly enjoy a ukulele song. Everyone is always talking shit about ukuleles and I've written dozens of that type of G&U song... anyway, despite any right-hand action that might sound fancy, this one is still only like 4 open chords, the same basic ones every beginner plays. Plus I guess there's a single, solitary G7 in the intro.

I would have gotten closer to the nuclear blast for my field recording, but, y'know.

It varies wildly how much time I put into each entry (and obviously the ones with more production take more time). For this one, I spent basically one evening writing it (the main part of the song) and one evening recording and mixing it/putting together the intro. So that's what, like 6-8 hours or something? I was all set to say "this was pretty fast!" but I guess not? At least not compared to a certain Glenn Case, who can bang out a song from nothing to full production in 2 hours ;)

The recording of the actual song part was very fast, maybe 20 mins or something, because it was all acoustic, single condenser mic in the room, and I didn't multitrack or play to a click or anything. I did maybe 4-5 takes, I think, until I was happy enough with both uke and vox the whole way through. I don't think I comped anything or I could have maybe been done faster, but the song is like 2 minutes long so it's not like it took a long time to go through the whole thing again to just get a good single take. Then I added reverb and piled a few layers on the end of it (piano, cello, vocal) where I thought it could use it, but they're all very simple, for texture.

The recording of the silly intro was way more trouble and took a much longer time, mostly due to me not knowing how to play the spoons and making up the little jingle thing as I went along. Plus the Reaper subproject thought my track was still half an hour long even after I removed the unnecessary parts of the spoon jam, so it took several minutes to render every time I saved the file. The spoon part was also all one continuous bit and not to a click either, so once I figured out how the melodic part of the jingle would fit in, I had to chop up the spoon part and nudge those pieces around until they were reasonably in time with the gaps. It took much, much longer than it should, but hey, I got to play a new instrument, so that's cool.
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

ujnhunter wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:48 am
5 votes from me! Wish I was in... I'll post my track later. @WreckdoM have you been listening to OhGr lately? I think your track reminded me a lot of "Feelin' chicken" for some reason. Heh.
Hmm... I see lyrics but not the song link?
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

vowlvom wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:09 pm
sleepysilverdoor wrote:
Vom Vorton:
All of the keyboard sounds on this are the humble Casiotone MT-65 so I didn't have that level of control over the sounds - the bass is Cello, I think, and there's Organ and Trumpet in there. The dregs need to be rotten and stinking to get across the depths of my discontent, I'm afraid. Not much I can do about that, either.
My first love (along with a corgi named Smurf) was a Casiotone SA-1. It wasn’t my first instrument; that was a church organ, and the church organ didn’t demo Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, so what the fuck good was that?

My parents are convinced it’s long gone, but I’m gonna tear their house apart in four weeks looking for it anyway.