Stop saying (I Am Very Busy reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
neutronflow
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass, kazooka
Recording Method: Audacity, UMC404HD
Submitting as: Tim Hinkle

Re: Stop saying (I Am Very Busy reviews)

Post by neutronflow »

Berkeley Social Scene: I love this take on the title. Great tune too.

BOOGERS LOL!: This is a lot of fun, though it grated on me after repeated listens. (I think this does have replay potential, just the plays should be farther apart. If it popped up again in a month it'd probably make me smile.)

Brown Word and the Big Whine: I love the sound of the vocals on this. I think the "I'm So Busy"s sound better than the "I'm Very Busy"s.

Cthonic Black: I think something about the sound of the cymbals is bothering me in this track; whenever one hits it feels like the whole song has gone sort-of wavy (not sure that will make any sense). I like the drumming, generally, though. It's a strong vocal. I like the two voices around 1:25. I like the chord progression/underlying melody.

DeepOrb Steel: This was interesting once. Trying to go through all the songs a second time before I wrote up my thoughts, I only got halfway through this one before switching off. Your project in general is intriguing.

Gizo featuring Lollypops: I really like repeated "round and round and round" sections in things. Not sure why. But I like it here as well. This has a really atmospheric presence, all the sounds fit really nicely together.

Hostess Mostess: I really like this musically. The lyrics aren't grabbing me, though.

Paco del Stinko: This is great, just really fun, bouncy, and catchy.

The Panna Cotta Army: This is lovely. Favorite of my first listen.

Phlebia: This is a nice tune and I really like the overall sound of it. It's wonderful how it builds up and up. It's reminding me just now of some of the poppier things by Wire.

Pigfarmer, Jr: Various ringing phone sounds are well integrated. I like the guitar tone. This is very nicely performed. And it gets me on its side immediately. I hate it when the phone rings.

Sweeney Toad: This has an engaging sound and I enjoyed the story. I thought the vocal delivery was quite good.

Third Cat: The drums seem off to me in the section after the guitar has come in and it's guitar voice and drums. Are the people in this song just making excuses or are they really busy? I can't decide.

Tim Hinkle: I hoped writing on a guitar in a non-standard tuning would push me toward some different chord changes, but this still sounds fairly like the kind of thing I write generally. I think the production came out sounding very nice. The section with a maraca on my "Mythical Creature" was well received, so I was keen to use it again.

Toby Roktot: This is very pleasant. Very much the kind of thing I like. I kind of feel like if it wasn't the kind of thing I liked, though, there wouldn't be much there that would transcend anyone's genre bias.

Toothdreams: Very abrupt ending. It's all reasonably nice, but also kind of ramshackle and slight.

WreckdoM: The chorus is catchy. I like the mispronunciation of "concussed," but I question whether it would have made sense if I hadn't been reading along with the lyrics. The weather man voice saying "Saturday" is somehow particularly satisfying.

My favorites are Paco, Panna Cotta, Phlebia, BSS, Brown Word, and Pigfarmer.
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

neutronflow wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:07 pm
Cthonic Black: I think something about the sound of the cymbals is bothering me in this track; whenever one hits it feels like the whole song has gone sort-of wavy (not sure that will make any sense).
Kids, let Neutron Flow's words be a lesson to you: don't over-compress your master bus.

Granted, it's hard to win the loudness wars if you don't.
-- reve mosquito.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

The Panna Cotta Army and Tim Hinkle tie for the win.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Congratulations, Panna Cotta, and Tim Hinkle!
.sig
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratzies!
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Geech
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Drums, Keys, Bass, Handclaps
Submitting as: Geech Sorensen

Post by Geech »

With one more vote, we would've created a three-way tie.

Congrats, PC and TH.
/// --- geech.com --- ///
neutronflow
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass, kazooka
Recording Method: Audacity, UMC404HD
Submitting as: Tim Hinkle

Post by neutronflow »

Wow! :D

Congratulations Panna Cotta Army!
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

neutronflow wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 am

Congratulations Panna Cotta Army!
...and congrats to Mr Hinkle

this time, 8 votes = win
last time, 27 votes = runner up
:shock: :)