Don't be so mean... (Digital Pet reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

Don't be so mean... (Digital Pet reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

... anthropomorphism is alive and well.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Don't be so mean... (Digital Pet reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Hopefully y'all put all y'all's lyrics in the lyric jar: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12450
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

W.A.I.L. trying superhard not to piss anyone off this time out; Except maybe me!

Berkeley Social Scene:
Very nicely performed. It's just a bit plodding. Minus points (from some imaginary scorecard, obviously) for using the word "simulation".

Folk Murder of the Violet Crow:
Great stupid band name! I play the "Not to my taste" card here, unfortunately 'cos acoustic folk makes my skin crawl. Not your fault though. I think your voice works well with this sound. I mean, it's not very "digital" sounding, is? could you not have slipped one "Bleep" or "Booster" (Niche 70s UK reference) in, to placate the electroheads in the virtual room? Ah I guess it just existing is "digital" in itself. Not bad.

The John Benjamin Band:
Great. VOTE.

(NB the BVs should be thicker; and possibly some mild use of power chords using the (dare I say) "guitar" wouldn't go amiss if you're after that early 80s Devo sound . I'm not sure you are, though ... also minus points for using the word "simulation").

Johnny Cashpoint:
Ah, this was another of my GREAT ideas that didn't live up to the execution. I am back in France without my microphone or mastering software, so if you want, just run this through Ozone 5 electro preset with 110% reverb and it will sound how it should. Which even then isn't very good but hey.

Max Bombast:
I like the tune but everything sounds maximized to me, like EVERY instrument, which is kind of distracting. To the point where I can't even follow the words. So no vote for what I think is a very pretty tune. Shame.

Yaks of the Industry:
I do like this, not enough to vote immediately for it, but there are enough "digital" sounds and Future Boy's vocal (I've got this line up correct right?) is great and charming as always, and I kind of like it. it's a bit "sound and fury" maybe and could do with being 10-20 bpm slower ... that said, I totally adore the ending and I need a second person to vote for ... so I guess I'll VOTE for it as well.

So JBB is the winner for the Devo-esque song that I wanted to do, and maybe then Yaks and Max Bombast? Why can't I vote for JBB twice? (note: I know why).

j$
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Short Reviews:

BSS: Pretty dang epic. Maybe too long. Kinda wish it ended with a world shattering mass chorus.

The JBB: Happy with it. Recorded it 4 steps up then tuned it down to get the baritone vocal sound. Slowed it down and recorded the MIDI solo then sped it all up again for that section.

Johnny Cashpoint: The mix was preventing me from getting into this at all. Way too boomy. I remixed it and was able to hear all of the bits and pieces that are in this production, and I like it. Lots to hear, and it is raucous, kind of in the best way of a Wreckdom song. Here is the remaster in case you're interested-- not saying it is better, just that it was more to my ears's liking.
jcashpoint_digitalpet_remaster.mp3
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 18 times

Yaks: This is Ken on lyrics, me on vox and initial structuring and lyrics, Future Boy on lots of instruments and keys and mixing, and Mo on guitar.

Max Bombast: Something weird about the end of the "hurts" line-- like it doesn't feel as satisfying as I think it should. All the usual good things about your productions. Maybe a little samey samey throughout, could have used something to maintain interest. Wish the guitar line that doubles the vocal melody sounded more facile.

Folk Murder: It's not even 4 minutes long but feels like so much more.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

jb wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:27 pm
Johnny Cashpoint: The mix was preventing me from getting into this at all. Way too boomy. I remixed it and was able to hear all of the bits and pieces that are in this production, and I like it. Lots to hear, and it is raucous, kind of in the best way of a Wreckdom song. Here is the remaster in case you're interested-- not saying it is better, just that it was more to my ears's liking. jcashpoint_digitalpet_remaster.mp3
That's great! Much better. Thank you very much. Maybe I should employ you to do that mastering stuff EVERY week! As I am in france for six months, I need to a) do something similiar to that, b) stop being so cheap and buy some duplicate mastering software or c) do nothing and just complain about it every week.

j$
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

j$ wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:33 am
jb wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:27 pm
Johnny Cashpoint: The mix was preventing me from getting into this at all. Way too boomy. I remixed it and was able to hear all of the bits and pieces that are in this production, and I like it. Lots to hear, and it is raucous, kind of in the best way of a Wreckdom song. Here is the remaster in case you're interested-- not saying it is better, just that it was more to my ears's liking. jcashpoint_digitalpet_remaster.mp3
That's great! Much better. Thank you very much. Maybe I should employ you to do that mastering stuff EVERY week! As I am in france for six months, I need to a) do something similiar to that, b) stop being so cheap and buy some duplicate mastering software or c) do nothing and just complain about it every week.

j$
If you just want a "load it and choose a preset" option (which is basically all I did here), then grab Izotope Ozone Elements for $129 US: https://www.izotope.com/en/shop/ozone-elements.html

(There are probably deals on that in various places, they often have pricing offers connected with hardware or other things.)
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

if you want it cheaper but less AI, bx masterdesk goes for like $30 and I think it sounds pretty decent
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

er I guess it goes for more normally, but right now it's on sale: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... rdesk.html
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I have used BX Masterdesk, it works pretty well.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

The Yaks win!