Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Nur Ein XVIII, Round Four: "Partly Fiction"

Post by Lunkhead »

Those are very unexpected results. Sorry to see folks cut, particularly my pals in BSS. Ouch, that's a tough way to go.

Niv, it seems like the results haven't been put into the nure.in site yet, are you planning to do that when you have time?

Good luck for those still in the game. I hope folks manage to make listenable music, in spite of the challenge. :P
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Lunkhead wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:02 pm
Niv, it seems like the results haven't been put into the nure.in site yet, are you planning to do that when you have time?
Absolutely. I've just been out and about a lot this week. Tomorrow should be quieter and I'll get a chance.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
DutchWidows
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: Dutch Widows
Pronouns: he/him

Post by DutchWidows »

And so it goes. Thanks to all those running, judging and competing this Nur Ein - I enjoyed my first crack at it - and good luck to those left.

My quest will no doubt continue for a happy intersection between the sounds my mouth and hands can make, that my brain likes, and that anyone judging a competition might consider worthy!

I’m disappointed to miss out on this round as I play in a ska/new wave/punk covers band and would have enjoyed this one… Not sure I can justify the time to finish what I started and submit a shadow, plus I think I have a backlog of jobs to catch up on…!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Looks like Fall Out Boy decided to play along with the list song challenge.

"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
noma
Mean Street
Instruments: Guitar, programming, various other stuff
Recording Method: Audacity
Submitting as: Nick Soma

Post by noma »

I very much expected to be eliminated in this round, not because I thought my song was weak, but just because it's Round 4. I call it the Curse of the New Ugly.

You see, back in 2014 I won round 4 with a perfect score, for a song that I thought was nothing special; in 2015, I barely made it past round 4 and 5, but unexpectedly became champion; in 2016 I was a judge; and then from 2017 onward, I got eliminated each year in round 4. This year, I thought I'd get eliminated in round 3, but of course, I barely made it and then got the kick in round 4.

I sometimes wonder if it truly is some kind of curse. I can see no pattern in the songs I got eliminated for in round 4. Back in 2017, I sent in atrocious heaps of audio dung starting with round 2 or 3, and still I made it to round 4. On the other hand, I thought some of my round 4 songs (No Memory, Waiting for the Sun to Fall, or this year's Partly Fiction) were quite strong tunes, but still I got eliminated in round 4. Sigh...

Every year after I got eliminated in round 4, I swear to myself I won't participate again next year, but a year later, things look different again. Maybe I'll break the curse in the 8th year. I just hope next year's round 4 challenge will be super restrictive, something like "vocals and household objects only" because you guys seem to like my songs better the more restrictive the challenge is (The New Ugly, Chupacabra.) Also, I will try to write less melancholy songs next year, because the humorous ones (this year: The Numbers Don't Lie) fare better for the most part.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Re: Nur Ein XVIII Round Four "Partly Fiction"

Post by ujnhunter »

I don't think it's a curse... just the way things fall sometimes. Speaking of R4 (re: No Memory), I need to finish that track up so I can finally release it... doh!
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.