I popped some pills so (I Could Do This All Day reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

I popped some pills so (I Could Do This All Day reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

And chased them with Stag beer.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: I popped some pills so (I Could Do This All Day reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Place the lyrics of your submission here: viewtopic.php?t=12544

Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

I'm just popping in here real quick with some first impressions before I write my reviews. The "Great Mimes" track is like really, good. I love me some power-pop, and the chorus of that track delivers in spades. Nice job Glenn Case and friends!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Yeah, wow, great stuff. Glad to see the Mimes try out Song Fight! Hope y'all keep coming back.
PulpoJamonJoe
A New Player
Submitting as: Pulpo Jamon

Post by PulpoJamonJoe »

Berkeley Social Scene - this is such effective psychedelic tune in and drop out rock. You should be proud of how well you nail and represent that genre with this one. The simple almost Suessical lyrics complement the steady and heady stone groove. The mix is great. Thanks for letting those keys stretch out. I'll listen to this again.

Space Pub: I love the drums and the kazoo. the words are playful and fun. The guitar kind of wanders a bit the steady groove from the drum machine (Boss DR3 maybe ?) kind of creates the space for it to wander in. I feel like Danube is a good word that should be in more songs.

The Craic Pipers - if this is cumulative, like in the 12 days of Christmas, I believe by the end they have had 34 drinks? Yeah that sounds about like how that would go! Really fun. The pipes are a nice touch

Great Mimes - Great performances all around. I don't know as much power pop as I should but what I do know is power pop is best when the band can really play - and you can play. This feels so familiar but so fresh. I could have heard this song on the radio my entire life. It's great

The Rogue Fedora's - You were shooting for brooding and you nailed it. It's dark and even when it gets major chord it doesn't feel much lighter. That's not my thing, but I do know it is some people's. I think if you had actually gone a little further and played for 30 more seconds you could have revisited some of the melodies from earlier in the song to give the song a hook. The mix sounds nice.

The Freezing Hands - At first I was like ok I get this. It feels 80s because that's the only time I think really minor chord "dark" music was super dancey. And this song makes you want to dance. But the line "All hands but mine will break away." Caught me so I went to the lyrics thread. That's when I got the narrative. It is so dark and... funny? I gave it a second listen reading along. Great use of panning vocals too.
Also way to just try and sneak a saxophone past us. .

Chumpy - this is a fun tune and I can really hear it was a lot of fun making it. Thats an infectious vibe that gives your song steady wind to sail on. The mix feels good and I like your guitar tone. I think I get a little "hey" 'd out. I know song fight is song fight and it takes whatever time you have to get the thing out but I'd take some of that energy in the performance to punch up the lyrics a bit. You rhyme day with day, hey and hooray a lot and it kind of weighs down the bounciness of the song. Great performances.

Pulpo Jamon - One time me and this person I was dating got into an argument while in a paddle boat. This is about that I think. This is our song but I think the drums are really good on it. I had a 15 minute window to try and nail the vocals where I could be that loud and got the takes I got. I don't quite hit the high note in that one part and you can hear me kind of giggle at my attempt. Songfight is fun.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

BSS and Great Mimes tie!
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Congratz for the win to the both of ya. And another congratz to BSS for their 302 song which is a new high score, I believe.

Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Pigfarmer Jr wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:32 pm
Congratz for the win to the both of ya. And another congratz to BSS for their 302 song which is a new high score, I believe.
Don't tell Paco but we're actually at 307 now! Something is wonky with one of the song counts on the Jukebox but the song count under the band name on the artist page is correct, as is the count at the bottom of the official archive artist page.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

It looks like the jukebox is undercounting Paco by 1. I'd just noticed the new leaderboard. Congratz to the whole group.