ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion

Post by ken »

I got this book for the holidays and am really enjoying it. If you were into Poison, GnR, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, etc in the 80s, this book is made up of interviews with the people who were there put together to tell the story of how these bands formed, built themselves up, got signed to record labels, and achieved success. It is super interesting to me to see how different musicians played in different bands until the magic combination happened, how those bands worked their way to record deals, and what happened after. Also interesting is how they address the sex and drugs, especially the retrospective misogyny.

It would be great if someone was as into this as I am and wanted to talk about it. Read up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250195756
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Re: Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion

Post by jb »

All the motherfuckers who destroyed my precious New Wave scene.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: Nöthin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Team hair band here. But I just purchased Rick Rubin's book and Mary Gauthier's book so I doubt I get around to this 560 page monstrosity in the near future.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Interesting tidbit from last night:

Michael Jackson's jacket on the cover of the Bad album is a direct rip off (made by the same designer) of Warrant's clothes. MJ summoned the designer in to show him a Warrant flyer and ask for clothes like them!

There was a whole section of the book about the people who designed the crazy costumes and why everyone wore spandex.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang