I put a spell on you... (Love Magic reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

I put a spell on you... (Love Magic reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

'Cause you're mine

You better stop the things you do
I ain't lying
No, I ain't lying

You know I can't stand it
Your running around
You know better, daddy
I can't stand it
'Cause you put me down
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: I put a spell on you... (Love Magic reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

REVYOUSE

ADD - fuckin' great

James Owens - under the seeeeaaaaa, j/k pretty good, i like the marimba or whatever that is, fun solo, but now i need a fruity drink with an umbrella please and thankyou

J$ - I like the funhouse sounding beginning. gets a little extemporaneous at times and loses its momentum

Jeff DeSantis - good ol' rock n' roll, gimme another High Life we're gettin' tanked

Interrobang - Crockett is looking sullenly out the window, wondering if he'll ever see Tubbs again after that awkward encounter on the stakeout.

Agent Chaos - *puts Devo hat on* *bangs head* *knocks Devo hat off* *picks Devo hat off floor* *puts Devo hat back on* *bangs head* *holds Devo hat on head this time* *flashes rock sign with other hand*

fluffbenjapig - me and fluffy and Pigfarmer Jr.

Robyn Mackenzie - #1 most likely to break out of the fight award

Phlub - like a cross between Soul Coughing and Flvxvxm Florvm and i totally mean that in a good way
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Add:
This is excellent and scratches my talking heads itch.

Agent Chaos:
This is me, mo and Leah. Funny story —all three of us independently recorded our own vocals because it was unclear who was going to do it. Kudos to mo for making something somewhat coherent out of all of it! Also I think our hated song ended up pretty hard to identify.

fluffbenjapig:
this is super good and I love the production

Interrobang:
this is probably the prettiest song of the fight. is this an instant band?

James Owens:
this is nice and jaunty

Jeff DeSantis:

i like the pavement-y-ness of the chorus

Johnny Cashpoint:

you took a raunchy present and wrapped it lovingly in classic J$ trimmings. I mean I guess it's classically J$ raunch too. anyway, cool!

Phlub:

i'm a big fan of that sloppy angular groove. the monotonic vocal delivery is super fun

Robyn Mackenzie:

i like that swoopy baseline! and the way you used the song you hate is brilliant. good job!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Interrobang is an instant band of me, Ken, and Owl. My collaborators did really stellar work!
ElaineDiMasi
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: vocals, keys, drums, english horn and er, guitarists
Recording Method: pro tools/digi002, wavelab, the occasional tape recorder
Submitting as: Miss Fancy Pants, Bootlegger Girl, Show Me Your Face, Chiron Return

Post by ElaineDiMasi »

Agent Chaos - groovy and audacious. Sung with relish and produced with fun panny noises. Why was the guitar solo so quiet? Whoops I have the cheap headset on sorry! VOTE!

Interrobang - it's nice

Add - digging the bass and the chiptuney synth and all those I-IV-V-bVII noises in a row (not in the order I typed them, I know). VOTE!

Phlub - I think I like the riff / verse groove best about this and the slightly muddy slightly swirly sound of it.

James Owens - was there a ukulele side fight organized for this week? The uke matches the mallets and sunny words on this one.

Johnny Cashpoint - I am enjoying have absolutely no way to correctly guess which chord is next, first go round, and whether it's rabbits or something other going to be coming out. Loved that line! And whoooo good closer lines :-)

fluffbenjapig - appreciate this harder hitting version of synthwave. Nice collab! Good vox. Riser followed by the organ part is fun to hear.

Robin MacKenzie - the lyrics are pretty important for this one, the other parts are pretty background is how I'm feeling this. Even though the structure builds nicely.

Jeff DeSantis - these gritty guitars look good and sound good and feel good. Gets a VOTE! for the hooky chorus and the sus chords.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

I just added a late BSS entry to the fight.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, flute
Recording Method: Reaper, Reason Adapted, M-Audio 1010LT + 2496 (Windows XP)
Submitting as: James Owens, The Chebuctones

Post by AJOwens »

Add: Bright, energetic, staccato music, with some wandering chord sequences between the vocal breaks. The singing, or rather declaiming, manages to sound happy and snarky at the same time. I have no idea what the lyrics are about. Solid performance and recording. Optional challenge? Nothing detected.

Agent Chaos: The song has a fun, chaotic feel, with lots of silly things happening to great overall effect.. Nice lead guitar shredding, strong vocals. Optional challenge? I'm getting strong vibes -- in the overall sound, the rhythms, the vocal delivery, and a synth snippet -- of a 1989 bombshell hit.

Berkeley Social Scene: Smooth melodic lines over a gritty texture. The hard-panned guitars complement each other nicely. Exciting guitar solo, and the changes throughout the song are well-placed to keep things interesting. Optional challenge? Obviously not Carole King's "It's Too Late", but maybe I should be looking for clues around "Eight days a week is not enough"? :-) Oh, well. There does seem to be a brief guitar reference to another Beatles number, which involved a weather forecast, and part of the chorus sounds like a sweet sixties hit, or maybe a circular one, but I can't pin down the exact source.

fluffbenjapig: I know this has nothing to do with the Traveling Wilburys' "Handle Me With Care," but it presents the same effect of several composers gluing a song together from individual short bits, and somehow making it work. Rich and intricate textures, and a bright and catchy mood, the bulk of the chord changes being off-the-shelf modern pop. Optional challenge? Nothing detected.

Interrobang: Dreamily smooth, helped by some quality reverb. The contrast between the wistful, musically inventive verses and the optimistic, default-mode chorus is a little startling. Sweet singing, although the words sometimes feel rushed. The synth-sax solo strikes the right mood. Nice work on the background fills. Optional challenge? I've a feeling it's there and I'm missing it.

James Owens: Over-generous de-essing seems to have squashed the vocals. The mallet thing is supposedly a "kalimba" according to my Yamaha synth, but I think they meant "marimba." (I have an eight-note kalimba, aka "finger piano," but I didn't master it in time). Optional challenge? Mostly the reason I'm in the fight, but the hated song has nothing to do with calypso or mermaids (although a beach does figure).

Jeff DeSantis: A solid romantic rocker with a good backbeat. Could use some buildup during the song. The bass and the low guitar sometimes fight for the same space. The high note in the chorus is a good choice melodically, but hard to hit. Optional challenge? Nothing detected.

Johnny Cashpoint: Peculiarly plinky and detuned sounds, held together loosely as if by string, are joined by cavalier vocals and intriguingly organized drumming for a generally pleasant effect. Optional challenge? Nothing detected.

Phlub: This one moves right along, managing to sound tight and disorganized at the same time, no doubt due to its eccentric intervals and odd rhythmic choices. The slow, hammering, microtonal descent of the vocal line brings out the cynicism of the lyrics, which themselves take some nice turns. Optional challenge? Nothing detected.

Robyn Mackenzie: With its sparse arrangement and smooth lines, this develops a Latin dance groove. The sound seems to need thickening, but I don't know what I'd suggest besides bringing up the volume on the band; the vocals have enough of their own sonic space that they should still stand out front and centre, preserving the focus on the lyrics. Optional challenge? Definitely something there, but I haven't placed it. I keep thinking of a 1984 song that a European friend once thought was about an operetta, but this could be the cumulative effect of the rhythms, textures, and harmonies.
owl
Panama
Instruments: vox keys uke guitar
Recording Method: REAPER
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, miscellaneous owl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by owl »

Sorry for not adding a note about the optional challenge to the lyrics—I am too online, I guess, and thought it would be obvious :D

Thanks for the reviews so far. Nice fight! I will need to catch up on the late BSS addition and then do some reviews.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

Agent chaos has a sample from the spin doctors “two princes”. I imagine it would be obvious during the chorus if you slowed the whole thing down.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

owl wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:43 am
Sorry for not adding a note about the optional challenge to the lyrics—I am too online, I guess, and thought it would be obvious :D
Oh! -- different wavelengths. I was thinking entirely in terms of musical phrases. It never even occurred to me that the "small recognizable bit" could involve the lyrics.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

starfinger wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:21 pm
Agent chaos has a sample from the spin doctors “two princes”. I imagine it would be obvious during the chorus if you slowed the whole thing down.
And I was hearing references to "Love Shack" by the B-52s! I don't think I even know "Two Princes". [edit -- Oh, that song!]

I didn't mean for anyone to reveal their optional challenge snippets just yet. I was being careful with references in my own reviews, in case anybody else wanted to guess. But I suppose the reviews are mostly in now anyway.
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

Really great fight, haven't been back here for a while but it was quite an enjoyable group of songs to screw off at work listening to and jotting down a few impressions.

Reviews in order of listening:

James Owens: Something about the push and pull between the bass and the uke doesn’t quite feel in the pocket for me—it comes together more at the end but I feel like the bass is on the beat and the uke is a little behind the beat? Anyway whichever way it is I feel like the groove really wants to get going but is just slightly discombobulated. I also feel like this song could use a bridge type section that takes the general statements of the verse and does something specific with them, or shows an example (or a list of examples) of the love magic succeeding, otherwise I mean, it’s a nice little ditty but kind of just platitudes

Jeff DeSantis: I usually like this kind of Tom Petty-esque rock and roll tune, but also the pocket doesn’t quite feel right between the bass and the drums, it might be something in the sound of the bass that makes it a little too loose? The “be with you” is nice” The chorus could really use some harmonies, would season it nicely, but also like “change” would be more effective if it was a bit tighter to the drums—I think part of that is that you need to push to hit the note, so it feels like it’s a little late by the time your voice gets there. The guitar solos, I think you can sharpen those up a bit, there’s some good ideas in there but it’s a little unfocused.

Agent Chaos: probably could’ve used another couple passes on the mix. Really happy with Leah’s lyrics and backing vocals, and Craig’s slightly unhinged lead vocals, synth work, etc. I’m a little worried about our collective sanity but hey it’s not like the end of the world is appro—what’s that you say? Hmm. Whoever mentioned the B-52s and/or Devo nailed the things we talked about as feels for this during the writing process.

J$: This song has a charm to it, sort of a surreal cacophony of different elements, and in evoking that, it has succeeded wildly.

Robyn Mackenzie: I think the vocal reverb could be bigger and open, it sounds a little constricted to me. I also think that the vocal and the backing track sound a little too separate, they never sound like they are in the same environment. I could hear this song get a mixing glow-up and be a real dance floor hit, can’t argue with the writing.

Fluffbenjapig: kinda sounds like a Yaks song, duetting with Taytay? JB I didn’t know you had that kind of pull, do you crush beers with Jason Kelce or something? Synths are super nice sounding. Good little guitar riffs too, PFJr!

Interrobang:
Sonny and Ricardo drinking mojitos and wearing linen suits driving in the sunset before the big showdown. I find the hi hat slightly distracting. Great lush harmonies, especially when Sam comes in too. The guitar figure is perfect. The sax solo could use a little more energy, for my taste. That final chorus is gorgeous. Great lyrics too, really delivers a whole journey through this relationship. I’m rooting for Sonny and Ricardo to make it.

Phlub:
I love this riff hahaha. The whole mix sounds a little distant, is that on purpose? So far this is my favorite songwriting in this group of songs, great union of lyrics and music to deliver a total message.

Add: Fantastic groove. I think that synth figure is a little overbearing in the mix for me. Everyone else said Talking Heads so I’ll say it’s got a sort of where the Pixies should have gone if they’d stayed together back then to me. Another terrific lyric.

BSS: Owner of a BSS. At least you guys won’t be lonely, you have each other. Good pocket. The chorus melody feels a little awkward, like too many or not enough syllables in the lines? Oh the second time chorus nailed that a little better. Fiery guitar solo, super rocking! And a solid rock and roll ending, perfect last song.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

With the fight almost over, and assuming anyone actually cares, I'll identify my Optional Challenge snippet as the melody for "We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun" from Terry Jacks' "Seasons in the Sun." I didn't realize until I looked into it that the song was originally by Jacques Brel, and the English lyrics by Rod McKuen. Enough cheese to go around!
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Add: the bubbly telephoney synths are delightful! Also loved the kind of underwater sounding ones. I enjoyed the talk-singing, and the swagger, and the lyrics. Just a fun tune all round.

Agent Chaos: This one jumped out as the most interesting to me when I was listening through the first time—there’s strong competition for that title, but there were a lot of odd little left turns, production details and layers of textures that kept me interested throughout. Barely contained chaos but I feel like the bass holds it all down well. Sick solo, I kind of wish it was a little louder in the mix, actually. Good dramatic delivery on the lead vocals, nice BVs.

Berkeley Social Scene: crisp mix! Sounds really nice and clean in headphones. I think this is generally strong but I felt a little disappointed with the chorus, it started off really strong but the melody of the “potion in the air”/“can’t compare” parts felt choppy and clunky, I think I wanted the vocals to be more syncopated or flowing. I like the vivid physical details in the lyrics… but the wet hands line was a little gross. Love the way the guitars lead into the break before the solo.

fluffbenjapig: enjoyed this one a lot, nice production/arrangement. Good synth textures, they play well with the guitar. Really like that last wistful vocal tag at the end, great way to end the song.

Interrobang: Super fun getting to do this one with Lunkhead and ken! I’ve been sadly absent from Songfight for a bit and this instaband was a good way to dip back in. I only regret we couldn’t make the 80’s tom fills work out in the end.

James Owens: This is fun, kinda gives me Margaritaville vibes. The lyrics are pretty generic—wish there was a bit more of a unique or strange something to grab onto in the music or the lyrics. My husband loves Seasons in the Sun and I find it so horribly cheesy. But even with the hint I’m not quite sure which part of your song melody lines up with it? Love the marimba stuff.

Jeff DeSantis: I really love those high notes in the choruses. Good solid classic rock kind of tune. I think the vocals could be a bit tighter/sharper, it more or less works with the attitude but that felt a little distracting to me.

Johnny Cashpoint: the ramshackle, carnivalesque chaos of the instrumentation is pretty charming. The lyrics gave me a few good laughs, although I also kind of wish I could permanently unhear the line “your spermatic love magic”.

Phlub: I like the angular guitar figures, and the lyrics are pretty awesome, although I wish your vocals were a little bit louder and/or dryer because even though strictly speaking I can hear them, they feel like you’re singing through a window or something. The outro melody is very much up my alley.

Robyn Mackenzie: Nice groove. I think the vocals are too loud in the mix and the production could be generally filled out a bit more, it has demo/karaoke track vibes more than feeling totally finished. Nice rhymes! The sorcerer line took me out of it a bit though, felt a bit too on the nose with the magic stuff.
AJOwens
Ice Cream Man

Post by AJOwens »

owl wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:05 pm
James Owens: This is fun, kinda gives me Margaritaville vibes. The lyrics are pretty generic—wish there was a bit more of a unique or strange something to grab onto in the music or the lyrics. My husband loves Seasons in the Sun and I find it so horribly cheesy. But even with the hint I’m not quite sure which part of your song melody lines up with it? Love the marimba stuff.
I didn't try too hard with the lyrics or the song; I was just in it for the optional challenge. The melody for "It's the season of love magic shining in your heart" maps exactly to "We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun." I changed the chords, making it less insipid (I hope), and the rhythmic pattern plays a little differently across the word breaks, so it's obscured. Unfortunately, when I hum the damn tune (as one does after working on a song for a while) all I hear is the original.
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Instant band Agent Chaos squeaks ahead of the competition to win it!
owl
Panama

Post by owl »

Congrats Agent Chaos!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Congrats Agent Chaos!

Instant Band will return in a couple of months. I just want to remind folks who haven't tried it yet that of the 7 rounds we've held, 6 of those fights were won by Instant Bands.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
mo
Mean Street
Instruments: guitar, bass, synth
Recording Method: Reaper 4eva
Submitting as: duboce triangle, ellipsis, agony sauce, moody vermin, spite, yaks

Post by mo »

hey wow that was unexpected, such a strong fight, I thought for sure we would come in like a tight fourth.

thanks voters! we had a lot of fun making this song!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

it's a good one, agent chaos, although i've been talking to starfinger that i think the mix needs some work. the vocals are a little weirdly hollow and as some others have said the solo doesn't stand out enough. weird and cool though. sorry i didn't get to hear any of the other songs. i would have liked to take part in the random bands but i was doing fawm and couldn't take that much time. next time!
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas