phpBB stuffs, and things

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

a quick question: i know in PHPBB it is possible for there to be a setting for threads to be automatically weeded out after having no posts in a specified amount of time. is there such a setting here? i noticed some of the "other crap" in the "politics and other crap" section have disappeared. i'd hate to see important stuff like reviews and lyrics go away just because nobody is posting to the threads for those fights anymore.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

tviyh wrote:a quick question: i know in PHPBB it is possible for there to be a setting for threads to be automatically weeded out after having no posts in a specified amount of time. is there such a setting here? i noticed some of the "other crap" in the "politics and other crap" section have disappeared. i'd hate to see important stuff like reviews and lyrics go away just because nobody is posting to the threads for those fights anymore.
this function is enabled for the politics and monkey business forums only. politics is 30 days, monkey business is 60.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

jb wrote:this function is enabled for the politics and monkey business forums only. politics is 30 days, monkey business is 60.
so they're gone for forever? why's this enabled for politics? or monkey business, for that matter? is disk space that big a concern?
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

mkilly wrote:
jb wrote:this function is enabled for the politics and monkey business forums only. politics is 30 days, monkey business is 60.
so they're gone for forever? why's this enabled for politics? or monkey business, for that matter? is disk space that big a concern?
Yes it is.

Board started: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:04 pm
Database size: 4.48 MB

Keep in mind that the auto-pruning only deletes stuff after they haven't been replied to for a certain amount of time. So after a period of time, it's assumed that the topic is dead.

I'd much rather fill the server with reviews and "How To" posts. I'm thinking of turning the pruning on for the collaboration thread also, with like a 60-day limit. That stuff tends to be of-the-moment as well.

If you want to have in depth political discussions with each post preserved for posterity to study when you're dead, perhaps the SFBB isn't the place to do so. Here our opinions are of the present moment, as are our arguments. Stale arguments being brought back to life are lame.

And monkey business is full of links and stuff that is usually dead the week after, so two frikkin' months should be plenty. Unless you care what type of CareBear I was two years ago.
bz£
Panama

In 1998 I was feeling like Goth Bear

Post by bz£ »

jb wrote:Unless you care what type of CareBear I was two years ago.
Gosh, you make it sound like we don't care about your historical CareBear tendencies.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

jb wrote:Board started: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:04 pm
Database size: 4.48 MB
Well, if 5 MB per three weeks is a problem... I dunno, I'm neither the server nor the board administrator. Collaboration threads being pruned after every time new fights are up--like the prefight thread--now that I can understand and even embrace. But the political board, having dead threads could be nice. I mean, in the Marcus Kellis thread there were some nice things said about me, now lost to the ether. Come January 23, 2005, it might be nice to see what we had to say about the debates. Maybe somebody had a great argument or comment that the exact wording or eloquence of which would otherwise be lost. Monkey Business I don't give a crap about, but with the politics thread, I don't see why keeping old threads around is a problem. Having topics expire after 120 days or 180 days would be something I could get behind.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

also, seems that the avatar rule isn't working.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

mkilly wrote:also, seems that the avatar rule isn't working.
well then perhaps people should work on convincing their msg board compatriots to comply to a simple rule.

'cause the next step is turning off avatars completely. and we all know that's no fun.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

JB rules

Post by Mostess »

jb wrote:
mkilly wrote:also, seems that the avatar rule isn't working.
well then perhaps people should work on convincing their msg board compatriots to comply to a simple rule.

'cause the next step is turning off avatars completely. and we all know that's no fun.
JB is wonderful. We are lucky to have him. Avatar restraint is the least we can give back.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

i completely agree... if my avatar is ever too big... just let me know... and i'd have no problem findin' another

i don't wanna be on too many peoples shit list...
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

It says 80x80 max if you don't feel like clicking

Post by erik »

Poor June wrote:i completely agree... if my avatar is ever too big... just let me know... and i'd have no problem findin' another

i don't wanna be on too many peoples shit list...
Your avatar is too big.

http://www.songfight.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Oh. I thought at first that there was some programming physically preventing me from using my too-big avatar, and then when I saw people using much larger ones, I figured you'd changed your mind.

[STUPID WHINING CUT]

I'm changing mine now.

[EDIT: better? :) ]
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

So, just to clarify, it looks like we've got a mailbox limit of 50 private messages?
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Lunkhead wrote:So, just to clarify, it looks like we've got a mailbox limit of 50 private messages?
see the forum announcements for details, but yes.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Ah, thanks. I hadn't noticed that thread, since I hadn't looked in that category. The category's description, "Announcements of changes to the forums", didn't really make it clear to me that there was also a thread in it with a post about the basic initial features/parameters/limits of the forums.