Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was:

Good
50%
Indifferent
50%
Bad
No votes

Total votes: 4
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro
Submitting as: Kamakura

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Post by Kamakura »

Much like comics of the 50's and 60's, and the saturday morning kids shows. If you suspend belief, if you dig Dan Dare or Biggles this is a terrific film.
It is not a remake of 'The Piano'.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

lazy poll maker! those three options are insufficient! my opinion is much too complex to just say "it was good" and i certainly don't feel "indifferent" about it, but i'm not prepared to call it "bad". hmph.
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

jb wrote:lazy poll maker! those three options are insufficient! my opinion is much too complex to just say "it was good" and i certainly don't feel "indifferent" about it, but i'm not prepared to call it "bad". hmph.
Well... Apologies. I was just trying to make it simple for those of us (me)who are lamentably indecisive when faced with more than 3 options.
It won't let me change it now, and anyway what was your opinion?
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

well, i wanted to like it a lot more than i did.

for me, movies like this need to be either airtight, or have a story that keeps me from noticing when they leave an expedient hole in the plot.

in sky captain the holes and implausibilities were just too much in my face. for example, early on sky captain says "I need to get back to the base"-- as if it's a ten-minute drive instead of being on an island somewhere off the coast of New York City. which is fine, i don't mind them creating an island, but they really should have been more... i dunno.... i guess "mature" is the word I'm looking for, at least when they're talking about traveling. Like in Raiders, they made sure to show us how far Indy was traveling, by having the map thing as a transitioning device. In this movie, all of a sudden they're in Nepal!

And then there's that somebody is trying to take over the world, or is destroying large pieces of major cities around the world-- and Angelina's battlegroup or whatever it is KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT IT and is apparently not involved in solving the problem. And Sky Captain never says "hey, you need to help us because the world is in danger", he convinces her to get some of her men killed TO SAVE DEX. Now, I like Giovanni Ribisi as much as the next guy, but the screenwriter here really needed to get his priorities straight.

So as you can tell, i'm certainly not indifferent to the movie, but I wouldn't say it's good. I'd give it a C.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i haven't seen it, but the horrible movie title makes me not want to.
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

fodroy wrote:i haven't seen it, but the horrible movie title makes me not want to.
I disagree. I think it looks so bad that it'd be fun to see. (I haven't seen it yet either.)
Last edited by Gazelles on Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

It was originally called "The World of Tomorrow", and it was originally to be released on the same day as "The Day After Tomorrow", so the title change makes sense. Actually I think the title they chose is perfect for the style of this movie.

I saw it, I liked it, but I also had some problems with it. One is that they made a really big deal about how the movie was completely CGI with the characters blue-screen'd in. I've seen Return of the King, so I know what good blue-screening/CGI looks like and this is not it. This movie will look fantastic on DVD (where resolution is much less of an issue than in a theater), but I felt the CGI was inconsistent and the blue-screening looked obvious. Wait for Robert Rodriguez's Sin City, which is filmed in the same fashion but is in the hands of a man who knows how to get the most out of his budget.

My biggest problem (well, all my problems wrapped into one) with Sky Captain is How is it different than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I mean, I enjoyed Sky Captain , but I can't shake about 15 similarities to LXG.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

What I want to know is, how is it different from "Starboy and the Captain of Outer Space?"
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Kamakura
Panama

Post by Kamakura »

c hack wrote:What I want to know is, how is it different from "Starboy and the Captain of Outer Space?"
Different title
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne

Post by c.layne »

i wasn't hugely impressed, but i didn't hate it. it was really pretty, but overall pretty forgettable.