Like them? I STILL love them (We All Need Love reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Like them? I STILL love them (We All Need Love reviews)

Post by jack »

thanks Ken.
Hi!
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

J$ (from the lyric thread) wrote:(we all need love, love don't need us)
Now that is a great line!!
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

We all need love

Post by jseavers05 »

so does anybody know when are our songs going to be posted? the site says that the songs will be posted like 2 hours after the deadline and theyre still not up...
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

they've already been posted.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

evil.
Hi!
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Re: We all need love

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

jseavers05 wrote:the site says that the songs will be posted like 2 hours after the deadline and theyre still not up...
:shock:
Songfight FAQ wrote:I am impatient. When will the fight be posted?
Your friendly FightMasters have lives to attend to. In most cases, they are posted the same day as the deadline. Don't get your panties in a bunch if it takes two days.
...aaaaaaand the handy dandy link:
http://www.songfight.org/faq.html#i_am_impatient

Whose turn is it next?
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

well, what if i want my panties in a bunch...
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

cmon. give us the love already. we all need love. give us the love already.

/refresh
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

hey jordan seavers, pretty nice debut!
Hi!
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

<b>Bearded Clam Duo</b>
man, this has gotta be those crazy Corun brothers. if i was walking by the elbo room and this was playing, i'd probably go in and check it out.

<b>Boltoph</b>
i pretty much like everything about this. musically, reminds me alot of beck's "sea change" stuff, but your vocals give it a different spin. excellent.

<b>Cheap Bastards</b>
pretty cool in a depeche modey kind of way. wish the vocal track was louder, and i like the effecting on the chorus vox. great big fat synths too. nice.

<b>Chuck Chuck Moose</b>
well, the all-you-need-is-love horns are a great touch. the singing sounds a bit flat, and the drums sound a bit uneven. if this had a solid funk groove behind it, it would really pick up.

<b>Johnny in the Corner</b>
this is me doing all the music and johnny cashpoint doing the lyrics and vocals. i'm really happy with what johnny came up with, and as always he was a pleasure to work with.

<b>Jordan Seavers</b>
like i said earlier, this is a pretty good debut. solid production, hooks, and pretty well sung. i think you could fill out the arrangement, maybe make the synthy stuff a little less pronounced, make the drums bigger, and throw some fat bass in there. but as it is, it's a nice little tune that definitely has commercial potential. nice job.

<b>Melvin</b>
excellent. style wise, it seems to be a popular thing (emo rock in general) and not really so much my thing but i can appreciate the fine effort you put into this despite not really liking the song that much. but i'll bet there are lots and lots of beautiful, young girls that would eat this up. really nice work.

<b>Mime Cavity</b>
dude, at times you sound just like bono! otherwise, i didn't really like this much.

<b>obscurity</b>
well, i'm an unabashed fan of any mix by obscurity. and i know he always catches a crateload of grief over his vocals, but honestly, i think they're dead on for this sort of mix and idea. this could be lifted straight from a david lynch soundtrack. i dig it.

<b>Phunt Caravan Ray</b>
ok ray, i listened to your tune and it didn't really suck. at first i thought it sucked stiill, but as i forced myself to listen to it, it got better. it took awhile to build up steam but it was a good jam. reviews edited.

<b>Posyden</b>
man, this started out with so much potential. then you started rapping.

<b>Raised By Wolves</b>
typically amazing and brilliant raised by wolves. your mix gives me chills. damn, you leave me hanging.

<b>Retardos Burritos Hermanos</b>
well, you'll get no argument from me there.

<b>Rone Rivendale</b>
are you drew tetz?

<b>Ryan Rickenbach</b>
wow, that kicked in and my first thought was how did this hostess mostess song come on. goddamn this tune has everything i'm looking for and more. like boltoph's tune, killer production and execution. but your vox are just so up front and butter, and everthing else just sounds so right and in the pocket. badass tune man.

<b>Tall El Tardo</b>
the playing is really tight on this, but the dude on the phone isn't really very interesting. it's a cool idea. and very well done. yeah, the reggae section is really nice too.

<b>The Phunt Family</b>
meh. i still think it sucks.

faves: boltoph, raised by wolves, ryan rickenbach, JitC, Jordan, Melvin, obs

tough choice but i'm leaning towards ryan right now.
Last edited by jack on Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!
ruin8r
A New Player

Damn radiohead art

Post by ruin8r »

That face in the cover art for the fight is from a Radiohead t-shirt.

grumble grumble.
ruin8r
A New Player

I'm just grumpy because mine didn't get picked

Post by ruin8r »

jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by jseavers05 »

jack wrote:hey jordan seavers, pretty nice debut!
thanks!!! it was a last minute kinda thingy... there were some little changes that i wish i would have made before i submitted the song, but i recorded the song the night before the deadline, so i couldnt stay up to mix it down and master it really well. anyways, thanks for the compliment and for the review.
Last edited by jseavers05 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
posyden
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by posyden »

jack wrote: <b>Posyden</b>
man, this started out with so much potential. then you started rapping.
wait..you mean I can't rap or you don't like rap?
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

j$ - Men at Work inspiration in the verses? :)

a few twists and some very nice tones in Ryan R's tune that I really dig...

I like Tall el Tardo's reggae part so much right now....

Melvin's tune fuckin rocks so hard! I mean the sound engineering could be worked on in some areas.....

my other fav right now is Phunt Caravan Ray. That shit is sweet!!!!!!!
easyice
A New Player

Post by easyice »

i don't know how jack feels about it, but you can't rap. work on your timbre. your voice is hard to listen to.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but the other Phunt in this is mostly my doing. Plus you're doing a disservice to the Ray, and lord knows he's sensitive.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

WeaselSlayer wrote:I don't mean to toot my own horn, but the other Phunt in this is mostly my doing. Plus you're doing a disservice to the Ray, and lord knows he's sensitive.
well, considering the song itself was done for freddie love's themefight and was written in advance of the titles, it gets the big DQ in my book.
Hi!
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Sorry, I didn't make it too clear, I was mostly responsible for the Phunt Phamily entry. By all means DQ those other assholes, I don't got shit to say to them.
chuckstas
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Nice Fight

Post by chuckstas »

Well, I'm very impressed with the entries on the whole, looks like there's going to be some steep competition. Here's my take on the fight:

Bearded Clam Duo-This is some pretty nice jazz rhythm section playing, but the vocals don't do anything for me. I think you should have done vocals that would I actually be found in this song. As it stands, it comes off sort of as a novelty. This song is <okay>.

Boltoph- As always, your song is well mixed and produced. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but you pull it off as well as anyone. Songwise, it's not really grabbing me, however, but its definately an enjoyable listen. This song is <good>.

Cheap Bastards-This song is pretty cool. The synths and drum machines are all nice and gritty, and the groove is kickin'. The vocals are pretty good, but they're way too buried in the mix. Also, I feel a song of this style should have a more thumping bottom end. It took me a couple of listens to really "get" it, but I like it now, and although it's quite short, it feels about the right length. This is <good>.

Jonny in the Corner This sound sounds really good, and the material is nice, but it just doesn't progess. Also, the guitar sounds like it has the melody at one point, and it's very hard to hear it. This is <okay>.

Chuck Chuck Moose-This is my group. I see one person at least picked on the beginning reference. Cheesy, yes, but we had fun with it. I mixed this pretty quickly, and not in the same room I usually do, so I wasn't particularly happy with the mix. The drums were also pretty lame, as usual.

Jordan SeaversOh man, this is good stuff. Your voice rocks, especially on the high stuff. I found the instrumentation to be a little too busy, but this is still an <excellent> song. I like the way you incorporated all the electronic stuff into a straight ahead song like this. I could learn a lot from it.

Melvin-This song definately took a couple listens to get my head around, but once I did, I loved it. This may be pop/punk, but it's miles beyond the typically fare. That verse riff is quite infectious and quirky with the alternating bars of 4/4 and 3/4. You kind of did the reverse thing of me with the half-time during the chorus. The drumming on this is great. I'm not a drummer, so I don't usually notice this, so me commenting on that is saying something. Especially the way you use the toms during the chorus. My only two comments are that I think the clean tone of the guitar during the one part is a little to twangy, and I could have really used some falsetto vocals during the chorus. This song is <excellent>.

Mime Cavity-Dude, tune that guitar. Doo-wop isn't really my thing, but at least that was tolerable. I started getting worried when that double bass drum thing kicked in at like 1:20, and then I 2:20 I finally gave up on this song. And there was still over three and half minutes left. This is <below average>.

Obscurity-I must say I've never quite heard anything like this. Is that a bassoon? At any rate, it's a pretty good song. Your voice is a little unusual in that you actually sound like a man, but it sounds pretty in tune and so no complaints. You have an interesting sense of harmony, as well. I like the panning of the vocals during the one section. I guess my only criticism is that it's a little too repetitive or long. If it was a little shorter or had another major idea it would be pretty steller. This is <good>.

Phunt Caravan Ray-That's a pretty sweet riff and groof you have going on there during the chorus. It's too bad that you have to entries so you're not eligable for a vote.

Phunt Family-I'm not a big fan of your sound in general, and this pretty much sounds like the rest of your stuff to me. Again, not eligable.

Untitled-I was liking this, and then the vocals came in. It's not that your rhythmic concept ("flow") is bad or anything, they just sound really dry and in a different space from the rest of the song. Also, I can't help but feel that this is a blatant copy of that Black Eyed Peas song "Where is the Love". This is <okay>.

Raised by Wolves-I don't really like your choice of instruments or the style of the song, but I can't really hold that against you. The songwriting is pretty good. On just songwriting it's <good> but I don't really like it.

Retardos-This is just weird. I can't take it serously, either. I don't know how to rate it, but it doesn't get my vote.

Rone Rivendale-This is some of the worst rapping I've ever heard. The lyrics are terrible, and you have no sense of rhythm. You could've of at least thrown some cool loops together. This song is <bad>.

Ryan Rickenbach-This is really well produced, recorded, and performed. I like the alternating solos pan to the left and right. It's just not grabbing like some of the others, however. This is <good>.

Tall-This is some pretty tight, funky playing. I like the effects drenched dub-style vocals during the chorus. The phone thing should be louder, you can't hear the conversation very well. This is <good>.

Overall, some nice listening this week. My vote goes to melvin for showing that pop/punk can be creative and enjoyable, with Cheap Bastards, Ryan Rick, Boltoph, and Jordan Seav in a close second.[/b]
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Just to clarify: saying that Phunt Phamily is Phunt is like saying that The Wu Tang Clan is Method Man. Just so you know, you're dealing with a much larger collective and really Phunt's just in the name for spiggles.
chuckstas
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Clarification

Post by chuckstas »

jack wrote:<b>Chuck Chuck Moose</b>
well, the all-you-need-is-love horns are a great touch. the singing sounds a bit flat, and the drums sound a bit uneven. if this had a solid funk groove behind it, it would really pick up.
Jack, did you mean that the vocals were actually flat in pitch, or just that sounded a little dead (like needed more energy or reverb or something). Also, when you say the drums are uneven, do you mean they are louder in some parts than others, or that the vary in the quality of part they are playing? I'm just trying to improve, thanks.