Get 'em while they're hot (Fresh Dog reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Get 'em while they're hot (Fresh Dog reviews)

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Hotdog, I think we have a weiner.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Didya hear me groan? 'Cause I groaned.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

now if you had used it in the context of chinese food, i would have groaned too.
Hi!
beatlebrent
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by beatlebrent »

I wondered when i read the title how many songs would be about chinese food. I wanted to write one about trying out for American Idol and how Simon and Paula didn't like me, but all Randy said was "Fresh, Dawg". But I ran outa time. Oh well.
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

I did start researching US miltary bases and operations in South Korea and even some Korean recipes, but in the end my heart went back to my roots resulting in the "Wee Fresh Dug" :-) Enjoy
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

Here's my review:

Ross Durand: Good story and song. Just when I was about to be bored with it, the beat kicks in.

Paper Cut Brigade: Wow! Can I join you guys? That’s fantastic. Three part harmonies, fuzz guitar. â€
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Bjam
I can honestly say that I have no recollection of recording this. At all. I also don't know where I put my lyrics/tabs for this. Are those oohs I put in there? Wow. Also, sorry for not properly tagging.

DJ Ralphus
I have no idea what's going on here. Kinda like a heartbeat and ramblings? I don't know.

Jordan Seavers
Oh wow, this is pretty rock-pop-happy. Very Fountains of Wayney. This is pretty good really. I'd rather have those 'bah bah's at the beginning come in in the little solo. The intro needs to build me up to happy rock pop, not put me straight in there. This is awesome. The only problem I have with this is that the non-singing sections go on for quite a while(specifically the outro), so it ends up sounding rather samey. Definitely a good job.

Kurt
Nice guitar. The vocals get a little crazy in there in comparison to the guitar at the beginning. This has a nice groove though. I'm not loving the kinda-rap, but it kinda works I guess. I dunno. You all seem like too nice guys to be doing grungey music. Nice song though, just not grabbing me like it could.

Luke Henley
Not grabbing me. I like the lyrics though, a kinda clever take on the hard title. The guitar playing is nice, but the sound is very... roomy or something. I don't know. The little riff you've got is nice, but then the strumming just sounds very...something. I don't dig the breakdown. But that's your thing, so... go for it. :)

I had to take a break here, because I got into The Music Man! Woo! So, if any of you are in the area March 8-12th ;) Woo! Now back to reviews...

MC Frontalot
It's... Front, y'know. I like the chorusy "Who's a good boy" bit. The song is good, but it's not grabbing me.

On Cassette
Oh my god, ow. The music is adorable, the vocals are unbearable. Skipped after 30 seconds.

Paper Cut Brigade
Vocals are waaaay quiet. This really just floated under me. The tambourine is too consistent, gotta bring in the goodness every once in a while.

Ross Durand
This is kinda fun. But, um, I don't think you're too good at rap/hardcore/whatever the heck that breakdown thing was. Rossy D? Hee! Cute in its sillyness.

Rosemary and the Flatbreads
This is good. Good vocals. Very coffeeshop performance. Well, no, not really. Very acoustic. And your delivery is very good. "Fresh Poodle Doodle". I dig this. Fun, but a little repetitive.

sonofsupercar
Nice drums. This isn't grabbing me though, not my thing.

Steve Gamble
A little too... g&g for me. Which is rich, coming from me. But, I dunno, nothing here is grabbing me. It's like you're trying to do the humourous g&g thing, but it isn't working quite as you're trying to make it. Also, it's 5 minutes long.

stueym
Ah, yay Scottishness. High five.

VISITATIONS
Mmm, fun with panning. This is... yeah. It's not grabbing me. It's kinda cute, but I don't think I could listen to it more than once. The lyrics are silly, and the music is repetitive, but y'know, it's not that bad. It's just not grabbing me. And that solo thing is... strange.
Songfighter since back in the day.
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

gramparsons wrote: Jordan Seavers: This is amazing. Best song so far. You really did this by yourself in one week? I’m sending a focus group to your house immediately.
im glad you like it. haha, i guess i did have a week to do it, but it seems like my songs always turn out as a 'night before the song is due' project. super ultra procrastination but anyways, awesomenessful!! glad you like it!!!
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

visitations this is very nice and it just chugs along real good the vocals keep the tone intact in fact the whole thing just really builds on itself well and i particularly like the sonic youth noise guitar stueym lumbering guitars like storm clouds verily are you meowing this is very heady like a fine ale paper cut brigade oh man brian jonestown massacre heroin jam vibe is always something i'm into i can't help it i dig your tambourine and wish i could be in a nice jam such as this but everybody's so uptight these days you know steve gamble opening with a solo always makes me kind of drum my fingers but the tension of this is kind of strange and funny i don't know this is ok i guess but long mc frontalot i know you're famous and everything but this seems a little shallow to me like there could be more oomph in it jordan seavers god damn you can do this lush pop thing so well it's kind of unsettling i bet womens will cream for you that was inappropriate but honestly i want a jordan seavers poster sonofsupercar i think the dissonance and urgency of this could have been played up a bit more perhaps with a sharper mix or a little more punch in the playing alright the sort of pixies squeal over the "keep this dog alive" is kind of more what i want out of this but then again it's what you want out of it not i but hey man just sayin' it like it is ah here we go it's going nuts at the end but it still doesn't attack me enough don't be afraid to fucking stab for the throat kurt well this is well-done and completely uninteresting to me the chorus is better than the rap but still bjam your work is sounding sadder these days i think which is an interesting new direction but it also seems a little over-dramatic in spots but i think you're getting closer to a much more honest-sounding persona ross durand i like the tone of this and the continuous flow of the lyrics but it's also a little awkwardly goofy it makes a good point though oh my god ross durand rapping holy shit rosemary and the flatbreads there's a desparation to these vocals that is very welcome on this horizon this is a fun ditty-doo dj ralphus this is creepy and i like it it's fucking with me but very subtely luke henley (me) i dunno, i was thinking about animals fucking and birth and all that on cassette yeah test those limits i won't even turn the sound down not even a little this is affecting me it actually gave me a little shiver and it reminds me a little of daniel johnston but with less sincerity but i still like it a lot
mc_frontalot
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by mc_frontalot »

I liked SoS, Jordan Seavers, Rosemary/Flatbreads, and visitations. The Visitations song is great!
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

This week has a bunch of great tunes in each fight. Very cool.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

stueym wrote:"...I’m a wee bit jealous when he licks his ain baws".

:lol:
beatlebrent
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by beatlebrent »

Jordan. your song rocked. Rocked to the Max. Old School. Word. It's like someone pushed Apples in Stereo, Beulah, and the Minders into a blender and out came your song. Well, more like out came your song... and a very bloody drink... cuz that would just be sickin' messy. Bleh.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

Ross- you've won my vote, folk lore rap, good job.
Denyer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Dunlop KT-26
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Post by Denyer »

voted for kurt as easily the best song w/rap in this fight.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I like these songs. A couple of really good ones.

EM SEE to the EF-alot...

ha ha...good stuff. I like the 'fresh' dog..a.nd the chorus is great. Pardon me if If I'm not supposed to make notice of similarities to Will Smith type of rapping here. It does have a FRESH Prince type humor hip style going on.

/prepares for whipping.

Son of Supercar's entry is awesome as well

Rosemary/flatbeds.... voice sounds REAL familiar. Another awesome tune.

Want to shout out to Kurt as well..nice, very nice.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Hoblit wrote:Rosemary/flatbeds.... voice sounds REAL familiar. Another awesome tune.
aaah, so that's who it is! i saw him review and wondered WTH his song was.

good to have you back, dude. :)
genecawley
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Piano, Drums
Recording Method: TASCAM DP-24SD
Submitting as: Balls To Monte, The Go-Kups, & and the Angle Brackets, The Buttermilk Compleat

Post by genecawley »

Damn! I've been found out!

Ahem! I mean...nice to be back.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

it's the voice man. i've said it before. you're the jagger of songfight. :)
Hi!
Ross
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Vox, Bass, Tuned glasses, etc...
Recording Method: Logic on a Macbook.
Submitting as: Ross Durand

Thanks

Post by Ross »

hillbilly wrote:Ross- you've won my vote, folk lore rap, good job.
cool, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
"I don't like this song, but at least it's good." - veGetar Ianra Ge
http://www.rossdurandmusic.com
jseavers05
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Recording Method: Sonar X3, FL Studio, Tascam US-1641, Art Pro MPA ii & VLA, M-Audio 88 Key, Monoprice 8" mntr

Post by jseavers05 »

awesome songfight. lots of the songs that were posted were really rad. its super cool to hear cool stuff from other people

Bjam - awesome song. it sounds a little bit like your talking through a tube, but really, the quality doesnt change how well the song is written, and i think you wrote it really well. cool stuff champ.

DJ Ralphus - umm.. its hard for me to understand the talking. i dont think ill listen to this song ever again.

Jordan Seavers - 436y3ghbdfb

kurt awesome work on this song. i think the chorus part is a lot cooler. im not a huge fan of the part where your kinda rapping. but i still think you did cool job on your song.

Luke Henley - why do i think this song is cool?!?!? anyways, its cool for some reason. fun stuff.

MC Frontalot - not a big fan of rap, but i think this it has a cool drumbeat and the organ stew in the background is pretty fresh.

On Cassette - i didnt listen to the whole song, so unless i skipped a cool part somewhere in your song, i didnt like it.

Paper Cut Brigade - dude this is awesome!!! totally late sixties and sounds really rad. nice work dr funk. the backwards guitar solo is mega ultra boss, and im saving this one to my computer!!!!

Ross Durand - hecka funny. pretty heinous Rossy D.

Rosemary and the Flatbreads - you remind me of the guy that sings the wanderer. fun stuff. awesome for a sock hop.

sonofsupercar - cool stuff sounds like it was mixed really well. its really indie and sounds like something from college radio. i like it.

Steve Gamble - fun lyrics. kinda reminds me of a themesong to a low budget hunting show. fun.

stueym - haha... i dont know.

VISITATIONS - dude, this is cool. pure fun.