these reviews are 'not exactly normal'

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

these reviews are 'not exactly normal'

Post by Eric Y. »

i'm lazy, sue me.
i didn't see YOU start a new thread for it.
Clats
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Clats »

Exactly.
"Right now, you're just a rude wee noob" - blue
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

I'm so antsy for this fight to get started...both because I submitted, and because my old writing buddy is making his debut w/ this song.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I'm antsy because I'm not sure if my song is going to make up ... it didn't last time. If it doesn't, I'll just post it like last time, but I'll still be dissapointed. I really like this new song though.
Geoff WreckdoM
Mean Street
Instruments: Theremin
Recording Method: Pabst Blue Ribbon

D'oh!

Post by Geoff WreckdoM »

Sorry fightmasters for getting the title wrong on my email & MP3 name.

I'm an idiot, I thought the title was "Not Quite Normal" and then decided not to use the word "normal" because I guess I don't like it or what have you. So "Not" is actually the only word that links our song lyrics to this title. Well, the song was still inspired by the title, anyway. And I'm quite proud of it. I'm excited for ya'll to hear it.
"perhaps the most offensive and disturbing image I've ever heard in a song" - Hans Gruber
Clats
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Clats »

Funny...I'm wearing the exact same David Hasselhoff banana hammock this morning..small world.
"Right now, you're just a rude wee noob" - blue
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Re: D'oh!

Post by nyjm »

Geoff WreckdoM wrote:Well, the song was still inspired by the title, anyway. And I'm quite proud of it. I'm excited for ya'll to hear it.
i think any wreckdom song just automatically qualifies for "not exactly normal." they should make that a genre of music for you.

- njm
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Does anyone else get horribly antsy when it takes a while for the new fight to get posted. I can't get any work done. I have to hit F5 every ten seconds.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

I love you fightmaster! Thanks for putting my song up! My reviews are coming soon. By the way, the creepy picture I made for this fight is based on a bathroom in Madagascar that my brother used ... that bathroom was not exactly normal.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

jolly roger wrote:I love you fightmaster! Thanks for putting my song up! My reviews are coming soon.
Which are you?
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

Reviews:

Andrew Reist: So this is me. I'm pretty proud of this one as far as guitar goes. Take what you like from it. I used some better drum hookups this week ... still sounds a bit electronic though. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Chocolate Flavored Penguin: Wicked intro. I like the scraping guitar sound ... I really like the bass too. Reminds of something Steve Vai would do at the start of a concert. The intro's dragged out pretty long though. Oh wait. That is the whole song. I could see that turning into some sort of a heavy type deal, but overall too long and uninteresting. I did like the sound of the start of it though. It had good ideas. I give it a 4 out of 10.

Deshead: Nice feel at the start. I like the voice too. Wow. I'm a sucker for dynamic changes, as I've said before ... you've got them perfectly placed too. Great vocal harmonies. This song feels really emotional. I like the way you use the first lyrics again once the song is built up a bit. Wow ... somebody can actually play guitar and harmonica and make them sound good! This is a very very possible vote. Loved it. I give it a 10 out of 10.

Dust Pipe: I'm not sure I like how high the drums are mixed, especially as they seem to get off quite often ... I can't tell what's going on in this song with the mix ... maybe it's just my speakers ... sounds like you had something cool going on, but I just can't tell what it is ... I give it a 5 out of 10.

Eddie Lance: Cool wind effect. Definitely adds to the mood of things but this really reminds me of a Rone Rivendale song. Cool ideas and good songwriting, but ... you know ... Roneish. I give it a 4 out of 10.

Fourth Grade Gladiators: Heavy start. I like it. Vocals probably should be so distorted and quiet. Raise the vocals up and I'd like it more. Almost too much going on at once, but overall not bad. I really like the way you end it. I give it a 8 out of 10.

Hoosenbergler: AHHHH ... this creeps me out ... kind of funny. That voice is really getting on my nerves though ... cool written song. I like the background vocals. Well rhymed out too. I like where the vocals drop out. Not a bad song. I give it a 7 out of 10.

Jim Fallope and his Fallopian Dudes: Your song link didn't work. I give it a 0 out of 10.

Kill Me Sarah: Interesting. Laid back. I like it. Problem - it was dragged out way too long. Oh ... it would have been great if you had broken into a higher range some point in. That aside, I give it an 8 out of 10.

Kweep: Really cool. I like the line - I really hope that I can write a song that everybody thinks is clever. This is a clever song. Pretty original too, and a good length for what it is. Vote contender. I give it a 10 out of 10.

Middlemarch: I like the guitar a lot. I like the voice too. A bit too scraping, and some pitch problems, but overall really good. Well written song. Even without dynamically building up, it still felt like time well spent when it finished. I give it an 8 out of 10.

Thanks for the Frisbee: Cool start. I'm not a huge fan of that voice, but that's mostly personal preference. I like the feel of the song though. Definitely not a vote contender, but a good one nonetheless. Keep it up. Oh and by the way ... when you're screaming, turn it down. That kind of ruined the feel of the song. I give it a 7 out of 10.

The Ill Cricket Crew: I like the bass riff thing at the start. Adding the kid's voice was awesome. Good sounds ... well produced. Professional sounding. I like it. YOU NEED MORE COWBELL HAHAHAHA!! That's awesome. That's one of the best things I've ever heard!! Great song. Be proud of yourself. That's a good end too. Huge vote contender. I give it a 10 out of 10.

Wages: A bit too much sliding for notes. I do like the format of the song. Good job reaching for the falsetto. You didn't quite hit it, but trying falsetto is comendable. Pretty good song. I give it a 8 out of 10.

WreckdoM: Creepy. It's a cool idea, but doesn't really get my attention. Really cool effects though. I give it a 6 out of 10.

This was a pretty memorable fight. I really liked most of them. Ones that really stood out were The Ill Cricket Crew and Kweep, but my vote ultimately goes to Deshead. That song was awesome. I want more!
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

This is my first songfight and also my first reviews... Everyone kicked big ass, I must say. I'm proud to be a part of this fight.

Reviews:

Andrew Reist - Spooky... seriously... The double bass stuff killed me and I couldn't help but chuckle despite my spookedness.

CFP - Some groovily creepy noises... a smidge long, though.

Deshead - Great tune. Sweet tones and lyrics... especially doin' unto others as i'd have them do to you...

Dust Pipe - Diggable. A bit 'jam band' for me though.

Eddie Lance - Lou Reedy... not my cup o' tea-dy.

Fourth Grade Gladiators - Dig it! No I dea what the hell yer sayin'... but dig it.

Hoosenbergler - Kick ass. Kraftwerk and beer anyone? I laughed my ass off.

Cricket Crew - Holy CRAP! I sure picked the wrong songfight... I'ma get my ass kicked. somethin' bout "piano but my name's not Tesh..." classic.

Jim F & his F Dudes - Didn't dig it as much as last weeks (which I loved as I used to have me a T-yota C-rolla)...

Kill Me Sarah - Great for those insomniatic nights which are a way too frequent.

Kweep - Me. The best part is at the very end... if you turn it up, you can hear me run from the drums to stop the recording. heh.

Middlemarch - What? You've got butterflies behind your eyes too? I dig the extraneous noises (seriously)... especially the chair squeeks.

Thanks for the Frisbee - I really wanted some kinda groove... even a home made shaker and smackin on a table... The screamin' is funny as hell though.

Wages - Put down the frog and step away, sir...

WreckdoM - I love these lyrics... Creepy as hell... and what an awesome bass line! *wink*
thegreathal
A New Player

heya

Post by thegreathal »

I've been around for years, really, & I'd like to post my thoughts. Humbly speaking, that was a very good week. The ones that merited extra looks from me ultimately came down to;
Thanks For the Frisbee
deshead
and Kweep.

I'd say Frisbee, sound notwithstanding, almost had it. But the screaming at the end butchered the song, man! Oh...deshead was excellent as always. Between him and..Kweep?..also. But I've heard better from deshead, and I'll say it first that if this is a first entry Kweep has the mad skillz. I also liked the intro, although the lyrics could have been more polished. My vote goes to Kweep. deshead's song was a bit sparse comparatively.

I had to skip through the Chocolate Flavored Penguins song. I like random music, but that was the musical equivalent of seeing Bicentennial Man. I mean, keep trying I suppose. Middlemarch gets some mention, and WreckdoM as well. Excellent all.

edit:03/02/06, deshead and all these songs in particular are definitely gowing on me/awesome and up to par, although I'll stand by my vote.
Last edited by thegreathal on Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--thegreathal
thegreathal@yahoo.com
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

Kweep wrote:Andrew Reist - Spooky... seriously... The double bass stuff killed me and I couldn't help but chuckle despite my spookedness.
Killed as in it ruined the song, or killed you as in it was so ridiculous that it killed the mood?
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

Neither... killed me as in made me laugh out loud... in a good way. I was a teenager in the 80's and have a big soft spot for over the top metal double bass stuff.
Reist
Hot for Teacher

Post by Reist »

Kweep wrote:Neither... killed me as in made me laugh out loud... in a good way. I was a teenager in the 80's and have a big soft spot for over the top metal double bass stuff.
Okay. That makes me feel better.
Thanks For The Frisbee
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: mine
Recording Method: wishful thinking
Submitting as: Thanks for the Frisbee

great

Post by Thanks For The Frisbee »

its an honor just to be mentioned :?
i was warned by many that the screaming wasnt that great but
i thought i would just let it fly. and as for my vioce, i cant really do much about that, but i appreciate the critisizzle i'll try to do you proud next time.
Thanks for the frisbee is on Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music ect.
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

Kweep wrote:Wages - Put down the frog and step away, sir...
You didn't like it? I was trying something new both because I think the song needed something else, and because I wanted to try that voice (ALL: does it sound different from my previous entries? Does to me, just checking).
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Wages wrote:You didn't like it? I was trying something new both because I think the song needed something else, and because I wanted to try that voice (ALL: does it sound different from my previous entries? Does to me, just checking).
I dug it...kinda Tom Waits-y.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama

Re: great

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

Thanks For The Frisbee wrote:its an honor just to be mentioned :?
i was warned by many that the screaming wasnt that great but
i thought i would just let it fly. and as for my vioce, i cant really do much about that, but i appreciate the critisizzle i'll try to do you proud next time.
I liked the screaming. It was evocative of Modest Mouse. A great first effort.
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

Thanks for the comments, JR and Kweep. I found this website Sunday night, then wrote the song. I recorded it Monday morning (all the tracks are 2nd or 3rd takes -- could you tell? :D )

I was home watching our 3 month old son, who coos as I sing "pirouetting" (he likes that word) and who cries at the end (thanks, kiddo, for letting me finish that take).

This is a very cool site. These songs and those in the archives make for compelling listening. The wide range of styles and musicianship is great. Plus, it's given me the spark I needed to get back into the swing of things. A song a week? I can do that. It's better than watching TV.

I'd like to post some reviews, but the baby's crying again. I'll try to post later. Thanks all, just for listening.

MM
halen99
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Piano, Hammond, Guitar, String Cheese
Recording Method: DIGI 001 / Protools Fostex 8 Track
Submitting as: Eddie Lance

hi

Post by halen99 »

I found this site last week as well and quickly put together a song for the deadline. I'm gonna try again this week. Thanks for listening all.

Eddie