Explicit

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Explicit

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Just tossing this idea out there. Wondering how people feel about it.

I was playing the IDWTBYF fight today, and Madi was in the room, and I figured, 'oh, she can handle a few bad words'. But then Max the Cat's song came on and I quickly had to run to the stereo and switch to the next song. Eek.

So how do people feel about a purely optional indication of explicit lyrics when an artist's song is submitted? The songs could be marked as explicit on the main page, so this kind of thing doesn't happen, and I can more comfortably play fights while doing stuff around the house.

As mentioned above, this would be voluntary. When someone submitted a song, they would just indicate it had explicit lyrics, and the FMs would duly note it on the page, end of story.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
slowRodeo
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by slowRodeo »

i'd be for this. i'm not into swearin and all that stuff. i'd comply.
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous." - Smalltown Mike
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Well, whether or not I think it's worth it, I doubt it would be very effective. There are certainly bands I don't bother listening to based on their consistent sophomoric bs that fuels their "creativity". But even with Max, whom I love, I listen to everything before I'd blast it for the kids.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

To be completely clear I'm certainly not dissing Max in any way at all. I like the song, (though to me it's too much a rehash of his Here Comes My Dragon, a favorite of mine).
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Tex Beaumont
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Tex Beaumont »

As a general rule - all songs by Tex Beaumont will be generally family friendly.

I can't make the same claim for Caravan Ray though. He can occaisionally be a tad explicit - and no, he isn't going to warn you. You'll have to work it out for yourself I'm afraid. He's a bastard like that.
The artist formerly known as Caravan Ray
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

It's a good idea in thoery. But since we listen to all the songs in a stream how would you know what is family friendly and what is not. Especially if you play it randomized like I do.

I guess people could tag it when they create the song. Like ronerivendale_uan_e

the e at the end would signify that the song contains swearing or adult themes. What do you think?
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

All Octothorpe is family friendly when it comes to explicit lyrics. However, a few years ago, Spudnut went through all our songs to see which ones she could burn onto a CD to share with her preschool classmates. Seems there are a fair number of people solving their problems with violence in our lyrics. People even die from time to time. So, you know, while they are safe for work, they may not be safe for preschool.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

I have two guys DRIVING OVER THE SPEED LIMIT in one. Oh, that was a cover of Jack and Glenn's. Still, there are hidden traps. BEWARE!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Perhaps offending artists could have Parental Advisory logos tatooed on their forearms?

Actually, the one time I have written what I considered to be an 'explicit' lyric (Johnny Grippo's 'Shower Scene') I added 'warning: rude words ahead' and a 5 second gap at the start of the track. Confused the hell out of people! Actually got several 'don't get the start / don't like the opening' style reviews :)

j$
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: Explicit

Post by erik »

Jim of Seattle wrote:So how do people feel about a purely optional indication of explicit lyrics when an artist's song is submitted?
I feel it's unnecessary clutter. It's like one more thing that will have to be explained, and discussed, and misunderstood.
bz£
Panama

Post by bz£ »

It would be nice if there was some sort of ID3 flag for this, but I looked and couldn't find one.

On the other hand, any given fight is likely to have at least two or three entries that don't even have tags. I certainly wouldn't rely on other people to give some indication that their song is potentially offensive when I can't even rely on them to identify their band's name.

An "explicit lyrics" warning might seem helpful, but the lack of any such indication would be meaningless. You might feel better about listening with your kids around if you don't see any warning tags, but you still can't feel safe, so warnings wouldn't really accomplish anything.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Song Fight is not for children or the easily offended.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

jb wrote:Song Fight is not for children...
thank you.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Of course it wouldn't "solve" any perceived problems. Just an idea.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Re: Explicit

Post by Hoblit »

erik wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:So how do people feel about a purely optional indication of explicit lyrics when an artist's song is submitted?
I feel it's unnecessary clutter. It's like one more thing that will have to be explained, and discussed, and misunderstood.
heh, I still can't get a grasp on the three fight thing...

perhaps I exagerrate..but try to explain it to someone you just met and to get them to make sure they listen to the fight YOU'RE in.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I know. For all the many times I've had to try to explain SF to people, I still don't have the patter down right.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

"Songfight is a weeklyish songwriting competition. There are three titles given out, you have one week to choose a title and write and record a song for it. Then every song entered for that title goes into the 'fight' and they get reviews and votes, and then the song with the most votes for that title, wins."
Songfighter since back in the day.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

more fucking cussin', less pussies.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Bjam wrote:"Songfight is a weeklyish songwriting competition. There are three titles given out, you have one week to choose a title and write and record a song for it. Then every song entered for that title goes into the 'fight' and they get reviews and votes, and then the song with the most votes for that title, wins."
Smarty. Sounds easy, but you get the inevitable "So... how does it work, then? I don't get it." and round and round you go, explaining it for the zillionth time.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
Bjam wrote:"Songfight is a weeklyish songwriting competition. There are three titles given out, you have one week to choose a title and write and record a song for it. Then every song entered for that title goes into the 'fight' and they get reviews and votes, and then the song with the most votes for that title, wins."
Smarty. Sounds easy, but you get the inevitable "So... how does it work, then? I don't get it." and round and round you go, explaining it for the zillionth time.
Y'know, I've never gotten that. People just go "Oh cool, I'll check it out then."
Songfighter since back in the day.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

You're better at it than me, then. I suck at explaining SF to people.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Bjam wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:
Y'know, I've never gotten that. People just go "Oh cool, I'll check it out then."
right, which means they were'nt paying any attention to what you were actually saying ;-)