The Roof is on Fire - American Politics of 2005 in Pictures

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
mico saudad
Mean Street

The Roof is on Fire - American Politics of 2005 in Pictures

Post by mico saudad »

Pictures (and one video) of People Who Should Be Turned Into Frogs and Left in a Swamp - Part I

Is Bush drinking again? Funny link.

Tom Delay Gets His Picture Taken by the Nice Policemen

Jack Abramoff Remembers Religion

Karl Rove tells the American People What He Really Thinks

Clinton Surprises Herself With How Low She Goes To Be Seen as Moderate

Bush's Domestic Spying Program Used to Uncover Secret Democratic Research Initiatives

Tips from Scooter Libby - Kicking Hard Objects No Solution To Criminal Charges

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Public Servants Who Earned My Respect This Year (don't abuse it, bub)

John McCain (there would be no Abramoff investigation without his committee, is he the only republican who understands the concept of oversight?)

Arlen Specter (this is cheating, I've respected his role in supporting the NIH for a long time, but this year his legal and constitutional chops amazed me)

Chief Justice Roberts (surprised me)

*Barack Obama (only one democrat on this list? sad...)
* edit: thanks mkilly

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People Who Should Be Turned Into Frogs and Left in a Swamp - Part II

Bill Frist Answers two questions with one gesture:
"Who is a Sleazier Suckup Than Hillary?" and
"Is there a doctor in the house (who is guilty of breaking insider trading laws)?"

Meet the man who claims that the impulse to diminish executive authority immediately after Nixon was a bad thing. He wants to repeal the 22nd ammendment, expand executive authority, shrink congressional oversight, and make government as transparent as one of his undisclosed location bunkers. Jesus how did we get here and why are republicans of all people buying it?!?

Donald Rumsfeld Answers Sensitive Questions About the Pentagon's Torture Policy

What does a man look like when he's explaining how his gross incompetence cost lives? Former FEMA director John Brown demonstrates.

Bush and Brown Trying to Find a Freakin' Clue

Brown Asks the President Whether Rolling Up His Sleeves Might Make Him Look Like He Actually Gives a Crap.
Last edited by mico saudad on Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

I'd vote for Arlen Specter any day.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Easily one of the most articulate, reasonable, funny, and knowledgeable senators out there. And that's *while* he's winning in a tussle with Hodgkin's disease.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Re: The Roof is on Fire - American Politics of 2005 in Pictu

Post by anti-m »

abecedarian wrote: Barrack Obama (only one democrat on this list? sad...)
Hurray for Barrack Obama! I haven't read his book yet, but I hear it kicks some serious butt.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Brown Asks the President Whether Rolling Up His Sleeves Might Make Him Look Like He Actually Gives a Crap.
Hahahahaha, maybe he should clear some brush.
Let cake eat them.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

"dammit! i thought you knew the way to new orleans..."
Hi!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

jack wrote:"dammit! i thought you knew the way to new orleans..."
heh.. here's another (technically not 2005 but given his likely role in outing Plame...)

Former Press Secretary Ari Fleischer, "Texas Longhorns? No, no, no... we're supporting our 'higher authority".

I'd be curious to see people on other people's naughty/nice lists for 2005.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

One "r." Barack Obama.

One of my state's Senators, Larry Craig (R), voted to uphold a filibuster against the Patriot Act, and for that I commend him. That and about nothing else. (The two chambers passed a one-month extension, and after a month of Bush saying he wouldn't approve any extension except making its provisions permanent, he signed it. What's that word? Flip-flop?)

I don't know why there's only one Democrat on your list, abecedarian. Is it because they already have your respect? I try not to be a mindless partisan but I find Reid (D-NV, Senate Minority Leader) more deserving thereof than anybody else on your list. For all the love Obama gets he's a freshman senator. For all the upstanding things the Republican senators on your list do and think, the GOP passed more unaffordable tax cuts, cutting food stamps and college loan money on their way to do it. McCain lobbied against Rep. Young (R-AK)'s "Bridge to Nowhere," and they got the earmarked funds taken out of the bill, but they still gave them the money. So now Alaska's governor just uses the federal discretionary money for it, instead of specific money. It isn't dead, it's still going to be built. McCain got a torture amendment passed and then Bush signed it (what's that word? Flip-flop, right?) along with an explanation that he still can do as he please as the CiC, turning it into a symbolic move at best.

I won't go so far as my Republican colleagues who decry any opposition with their "if you're not with us you're against us" vitrol, but unless the Republican party in the House and Senate removes themselves from the office of the Executive they will actively impede progress. There's that huge NSA scandal that's out there, now. If you think that Bush made an appropriate move in that, ask yourself: would you trust Hillary Clinton with this unaccountable power?
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

mkilly wrote:stuff
Reid had a nice moment reducing Frist to blithering idiocy after shutting down the senate and I think his leadership potential was vastly underestimated by both parties.

That said, having heard Obama talk and having read his book and watched him in meetings I feel a respect I don't for any other Dem right now, Reid included. Plain and simple. I miss Wellstone.
(Listen to 'Ballad of Paul and Sheila' by Mason Jennings)

As for the republicans on my list - my respect does not acknowledge ideological disagreements. These people have earned it and they've earned it in ways I did not feel towards Dems in my many many hours of compulsive CSPAN watching and news absorption. (partly because the Dems didn't get invited to the game too often this year).

For example name one Democrat who has exerted more pressure and influence (in a good way) on the government about domestic spying and torture and ethical misconduct than Specter and McCain.

Add your own pictures :)
Let's see the person so worthy of respect or derision.
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

abecedarian wrote:(...)(partly because the Dems didn't get invited to the game too often this year).

For example name one Democrat who has exerted more pressure and influence (in a good way) on the government about domestic spying and torture and ethical misconduct than Specter and McCain. (...)
Well, there's the thing, I guess. Dems aren't the ones in power. But like I said, the Republicans that aren't so toolish haven't much succeeded in getting things done (besides filleting the already-DOA Miers nom). Here, I submit this guy:

Russ Feingold is a very upstanding guy. When Sen. Cornyn said "civil liberties don't matter much after you're dead," Feingold retorted "give me liberty or give me death."

Pelosi expressed her opinion on the program in Oct 2001, which is now declassified: link.

Jay Rockefeller, the junior senator from West Virginia and a Democrat, sent out a handwritten letter to Cheney about his concerns.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

mkilly wrote: I find Reid (D-NV, Senate Minority Leader) more deserving thereof than anybody else on your list.
You may eventually have to revise this sentiment severely. Not that I entirely believe this given the political incetive to make this a "them too" issue, but if it's true Reid deserves to get thrown to the wall.

http://insider.washingtontimes.com/arti ... 5655-1555r
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

abecedarian wrote:
mkilly wrote: I find Reid (D-NV, Senate Minority Leader) more deserving thereof than anybody else on your list.
You may eventually have to revise this sentiment severely. Not that I entirely believe this given the political incetive to make this a "them too" issue, but if it's true Reid deserves to get thrown to the wall.

http://insider.washingtontimes.com/arti ... 5655-1555r
No Democrat was given money by Abramoff. No Democrat was given money by Abramoff. No Democrat was given money by Abramoff.

It's alleged that Reid was given money and exerted influence for Indian gaming tribes. Reid, a Democrat from NEVADA, is alleged to have exerted influence FOR Indian gaming tribes. Think about that reaaaaaaaal carefully.

There is no "them too" issue, yet. If there's an indictment handed down I'll be eating crow, but a half of one paragraph in a Washington Times article does not a scandal make. (Unless you're Bob Novak.)
DELETED

cool roofing

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
john m
Panama
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, keyboard
Recording Method: tin cans, string
Submitting as: Doctor Worm

Post by john m »

Man, we are getting raped by spambots. It was novel at first, now it's just tedious.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Re: cool roofing

Post by Caravan Ray »

blogGreen88 wrote:This is a good talking about the cool roofing!!I learn a lot more about cool roofing here,I like it.
I search Yahoo for long time and find here.By the way I found some content on another website about it.Also,you can find some other on it,such as gardasee ferienhaus or heidelberg immobilien or academic programs.
LOL!Good job and go on talking plz,boys :)

Yes, I am also for the Cool Roofing very excited being!!! It is Number 1 Super Site! OK!!!!!. I talk Cool Roofing Good Time!!