Judas, please come to my office (Jesus on the Intercom)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Clats
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Clats »

Smalltown Mike wrote: This track reveals how little I know about Christianity. Let's keep it that way.
Imagine the possibilities if you accept Jesus as your saviour...I have some literature that I would gladly drop off on your doorstep tomorrow.
"Right now, you're just a rude wee noob" - blue
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Clats wrote:
Smalltown Mike wrote: This track reveals how little I know about Christianity. Let's keep it that way.
Imagine the possibilities if you accept Jesus as your saviour...I have some literature that I would gladly drop off on your doorstep tomorrow.
Jesus.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

Smalltown Mike wrote:
Klownhole
I can't ever fault you, even when I don't necessarily dig the tune, cuz you always accomplish the slaughter you want to accomplish. I admit—as I've said many times before—that I like KH when the vocals are wailing a bit more to match the music, and this hits the mark like that. Nice work. Uh, I mean, fucking right. This is a fucking great track, I'm pretty sure you get the vote. I hope you like it when I swear, cuz, uh, fuck.
Absolutely. Your gratuitous cursing is appreciated.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Smalltown Mike wrote:
Clats wrote:
Jesus.
Imagine the possibilities if you accepted Thor as your saviour.

Can you imagine? moo moo moo moo....
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

As I listen.

klownhole:
+ Jesus, that guy can scream a song.
= no noodling or riffs, but each part is its own riff -- and good ones
+ very surprised to find I had been listening to a piano
- piano/guitars get a little loose here and there
+ either the bass and guitar are incredibly tight, or there's no bass
+ cool song!

Phunt Your Friends:
= would have liked to hear the voice saying something about Jesus

MMMC:
+ damn, how do you come up with all this lyric? Not bad at all
+ good sounds
+ your articulation is REALLY FUCKIN GOOD
- a little too long

Wreckdom:
+ like the weird stereo noises
= rant / sermon is disturbingly engaging
- save me

Slampig:
+ awesome solo
+ energy
+ tight
+ good changes
+ God, how did you get that lead sound? I gotta know

Papercut Brigade:
+ good 60's groove
+ cool 'backwards' guitar, but too low
+ tight
+ lyrics and melody
+ long, but almost right length
+ good playing and vox

Smalltown Mike:
+ crunch
+ vox
+ breaks
+ sung lyrics
+ sound / mix
+ cool

@eclectic spOOns:
+ pretty good lyrics
= not enough going on in middle part, but interesting idea
= timing of vox in refrain makes my spleen twitch

Drum Lake Experiment:
- Hey, that's what I should do... submit a song that I did whenever, with no lyrics, and just call it "ThisWeek'sTitle.mp3". Nobody will care, and I'll get some feedback. Cool!

Del Sesto:
+ cool screech
- pretty empty
= seems a little more work would have gone a long way -- some more melodies / instruments?

Sober Irishman:
+ good guitar
+ good vox...
- ...but the medody / key changes in the verses don't work for me
+ good sound

Andy Balham:
+ sounds like Charley and the Chocolate Factory meets Tommy
= the delay on the keys is distracting
+ fairly good sounds, but mix is lacking
+ not bad, not really great either

Boltoph:
+ cool guitar
+ changes / parts
+ playing is excellent, as is production
+ pretty damn good

Eight Legged Oedipus:
+ good sound, but kinda crunchy cymbals. Intentional? Or maybe it's my laptop soundcard
+ bass riff
+ interesting vox melody and integration of instruments

Future Polka:
I agree with some comments posted so far. Should have sung instead of talked, rocked it more, etc. There is some bass in there -- it's just too low freq for some speakers. The 'eating our curds and whey' line refers to Jesus being pissed off, and 'down came a spider...'
I'm always so late with anything Song Fight ( this review, for example) that I always compromise the song.

Lots of good stuff here. Klownhole, Slampig, ELO, Boltoph, SM, and PB are all in the running.

And if you don't like my review style, or what I focus on when listening, then fuck you.
Last edited by Stubby Phillips on Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enter a song? Review songs!
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

Stubby Phillips wrote:As I listen.

klownhole:
+ Jesus, that guy can scream a song.
= no noodling or riffs, but each part is its own riff -- and good ones
+ very surprised to find I had been listening to a piano
- piano/guitars get a little loose here and there
+ either the bass and guitar are incredibly tight, or there's no bass
+ cool song!

And if you don't like my review style, or what I focus on when listening, then fuck you.
Your review style kicks ass. Who gives a fuck about focus?

I do have a concern with your comment regarding whether there is any bass. Klownhole doesn't stand for very much, but it does stand for bass. There is bass. It is distorted and is hopefully 'tight'. But I believe it tracks along with the piano more than the guitar. I'm listening to it right now on my computer speakers and I can hear it, but I can see why you might not be able to recognize it as a bass. This mix job was a rush deal though, I don't like it much.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Meatwad wrote:I do have a concern with your comment regarding whether there is any bass. Klownhole doesn't stand for very much, but it does stand for bass. There is bass. It is distorted and is hopefully 'tight'. But I believe it tracks along with the piano more than the guitar. I'm listening to it right now on my computer speakers and I can hear it, but I can see why you might not be able to recognize it as a bass. This mix job was a rush deal though, I don't like it much.
I heard, or felt, the bass. I just never really heard the bass guitar separate from the rest. I almost could believe it was a sub-octave generator on the guitar, or a (way) detuned 7 string. It was that tight. Good job.
Enter a song? Review songs!
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Sober Irishman

Too bad I somehow missed this one when the songs came out, because I think I would have voted for it. This is great, though the Jesus on the Intercom line seems to be a real afterthought, both in where it is, and also how you sing it. But great tune.
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
Treachjuris
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: piano, guitar (acoustic/lectrc), violin (acoustic/lectrc) clarinet; whatever generates sound
Recording Method: ibanez, rhodes, tascam, m-audio, darla, cubase, magix, noteworthy, mixcraft
Submitting as: Fish Sausage, Scrotean Hydra, Yummy Bug

Post by Treachjuris »

MCCC - A
Very nice. That's a fast rap. This may well get my vote.

Papercut Brigade A+
Woah. From the get-go; this is tight as fuck. Noice.

Phunt Your Friends
No patience for this.

Slampig A
Oh yeah. There is is. Tight mix. Clear vocals. Nice transitions.

Smalltown Mike
Heh. "Hey, it's JC!" Cute idea; a little bit of a noisy mix. Guitars overpower the vox. :(

Sober Irishman A+
As always, you, yourself and your guitar work miracles.

WreckdoM B+
Good for what it is. Masturbating Horses. Yeah. Bruce Lee.
"Electro-Mindscaping Nightmare music, gets me up and leaves me begging for more" ---sp00n
"If I were a rift in time right now, I would totally have a crush on this song" --- EightLeggedOedipus's friend INTOXICATED
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Andy Balham: This is a mess. Rhythm is all over the place, tuning on the doubled vocals is painful, and the tone of most of the instruments is awful. The guitar solo is pretty bad. Needs a lot of work.

Boltoph: Slick. Cool melodic ideas, refreshingly different. Very nice transition to the clean section. When the heavy riff part comes back in, I think more crazy cymbal action on the drums would have made the transition more effective. Definitely a slick track.

Del Sesto: Bass intros are usually kinda lame, and you really took off with the lameness. Awful.

Drum Lake Experiment: Awesome line, wish the quality was a hair cleaner. Don't know that I like the irregular drumbeat, I think something a little more steady, but with groove, would have kept the feel together more. Awesome guitar line does not a song make.

Sp00n: I can't offer anything helpful on this

Eight Legged Oedipus: Starfinger meets Brother Machine. My ear wants to hear the bass hit the dominant notes during the chorus. Hooray distorted vocals. During that part, maybe less grain and more crunch on the guitar, it just sounds fake. Maybe it is. Decent stuff.

Future Polka: 4/4.. late 90's wannabe industrial... how is this the future of polka? The panned lead vocal and the whole mix make for a separated feel.

Klownhole: A complete mess. As it should be. Very neo-Misfits. I think you could have milked the goofy Danzig voice even more. Even so, it's awesome as it is. Keys are pretty out of place in this, maybe if it was a creepy organ or something. Kudos for the dissonant lines everywhere. This is epic. Definitely too long for the style.

MMMC: Cool preacher sample. The singing is bad. Your mic is awful and/or you're bad at setting recording levels. Compressors are neat, you should check them out. I'm not gonna knock your rapping, because it's probably exactly what you were shooting for. The flow is decent, but the tone of your voice is certainly nerdcore. On par with the average Frontalittle track I suppose.

Papercut Brigade: The bass tone is weird. Did you mic a tiny amp? This is goofy. Monkees? What is it I'm looking for? Best use of title so far.

Phunt: Ass.

Slampig: Guitar tone is god awful. Drum samples are lame, especially for the style. The style attempt is appreciated this comes across as silly more than anything. Kudos for knowing how to play a guitar solo.

Smalltown Mike: Tomroll intro sounds like the intro to the Clarissa Explains it all theme. There's no meat to the guitar tone, and it sticks out because of how high it is in the mix. Not really for me I guess.

Me: New guitar (Martin 000-16 Custom shop), I had to show it off. Finally owning a decent acoustic is a pretty big deal for me, so I plan to open up a lot more. I'm reasonably satisfied with the vocal take, considering how naked it is. A full band realization of this might be cool someday. A little longer than it ought to be.

Wreckdom: I love you.

Not a lot to oogle at, from a production standpoint. Boltoph is definitely the slickest of the bunch, Klownhole is definitely the funnest of the bunch. I'll probably vote for Klownhole for effort. Mic farters: fuck off. Except Wreckdom. They're cool.
🤠
beatlebrent
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by beatlebrent »

Thanks everybody for the votes. It's nice to know 7 people like me. Well, liked me this fight. Good fight everyone.
boltoph
Panama
Submitting as: Gert

Post by boltoph »

That was some low voter turnout, eh? I didn't expect a win, after all, I had dental surgery that morning which is why my voice sounds sort of "odd"...i wasn't moving my lower jaw at all.

The TIE! With a super close 2nd and 3rd...

...equals...

ROCK!

- Boltoph (Dr. Bolty, the fifth wheel)