complaints

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
c hack
Panama

complaints

Post by c hack »

I'm not crazy about how the system emailed my password to me in plain text.

Luckily, I used the password that I use for stuff that I don't care if people break into, but still, it makes me nervous.

Everything else seems wonderful so far though -- thanks for all your work, guys who did all the work.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
administrator
A New Player

Post by administrator »

welcome to the internet
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

This is a great improvement over the old boards.

Seems that the option to not display avatars is gone from the new board. This makes it a lot harder to view the board at work, and a LOT harder to view it on a PDA. (So much precious PDA bandwidth is wasted downloading 8 identical images of a cute kitten, for example.) Any chance we could have that feature back?

I LOVE being able to list newest posts at the top. Did the old board have that and I just didn't notice? Is there a way to make that a global, profile preference?
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

There's no default option to hide avatars. I have to install something special for that. I tried yesterday, but the script messed up the board so I took it out. I'm going to set up a test board and experiment with modifications on that, before implementing them here. But that feature will be the first one that I add.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Seems that the option to not display avatars is gone from the new board. This makes it a lot harder to view the board at work,
What, your boss doesn't like Leaf's boob?
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

jb wrote:There's no default option to hide avatars....But that feature will be the first one that I add.
Thank you.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Everything here is great... 'cept, I'ma wussy... I'm not big on all the clicking around. I see that the system does say who posted last by category...but there are several threads in categories now... it'd be nice to have like a 5 link 'latest posts' at the top or something. So the user doesn't have to go digging around all over the place to keep up with his different conversations. Just a suggestion...not really a complaint. :)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Hoblit wrote:Everything here is great... 'cept, I'ma wussy... I'm not big on all the clicking around. I see that the system does say who posted last by category...but there are several threads in categories now... it'd be nice to have like a 5 link 'latest posts' at the top or something. So the user doesn't have to go digging around all over the place to keep up with his different conversations. Just a suggestion...not really a complaint. :)
Err, it does - top right of the main screen - view posts since last visit.

Very handy because I've already noticed people (well, me ...) who are used to use the little box by user name to view posts, posting in the wrong place or missing posts elsewhere in the sub-threads ... and I;ve been using a similiar board for about a year so I've got no excuse!
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Hoblit wrote:Everything here is great... 'cept, I'ma wussy... I'm not big on all the clicking around. I see that the system does say who posted last by category...but there are several threads in categories now... it'd be nice to have like a 5 link 'latest posts' at the top or something. So the user doesn't have to go digging around all over the place to keep up with his different conversations. Just a suggestion...not really a complaint. :)
Feel free to use your browser's Bookmark function to enable quick leaps to any particular forum.

You could even use Firefox's "Open in Tabs" function in your Bookmarks-- it'll open all the pages in a folder into new tabs, so you can read them one at a time and then close them when you're done.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

The "high level" categories don't seem to work in the "Jump to:" menu at the lower right of the page. For example, neither "Select a forum" nor "Songfight!" takes me to the top level menu where I can see all the forums listed. "General Music" doesn't take me to the top of the "General Music" category. The individual forum options ("Concerts and Events") do seem to work, though I haven't tried every one individually.

Not a big deal, since the forums are all listed in the pulldown, but sometimes I want to be able to see the descriptions of the individual forums when I'm deciding where best to post something, and the pulldown menu just lists the forum names...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Gazelles
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Gazelles »

How come everytime I come back, I have to log in all over again DESPITE the fact that I check the little 'Log me in automatically' box every time?
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

it didn't work for me the first time on each machine, but the second time it did.
no idea why.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

c hack wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:Seems that the option to not display avatars is gone from the new board. This makes it a lot harder to view the board at work,
What, your boss doesn't like Leaf's boob?

...your boss obviously has issues.

Post by Guest »

j$ wrote:
Err, it does - top right of the main screen - view posts since last visit.

Very handy because I've already noticed people (well, me ...) who are used to use the little box by user name to view posts, posting in the wrong place or missing posts elsewhere in the sub-threads ... and I;ve been using a similiar board for about a year so I've got no excuse!
I'm not seeing this...and yeah thats why I mentioned it... clicking on the link in the 'last post' collumn takes you the last post...which could be in a sub topic that you have nothing to do with...

Maybe I'm blind..but I'll keep looking

Post by Guest »

OOOHHHH

view unanswered posts.

Note that only shows up on initial contact with the page... after you click around it dissapears.

all these new buttons and knobs...
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

well it says :

"view posts since last visit"
"view your posts"
"view unanswered posts"

so my assumption would be, you have to be logged in for these links to appear.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

tviyh wrote:well it says :

"view posts since last visit"
"view your posts"
"view unanswered posts"

so my assumption would be, you have to be logged in for these links to appear.
whats odd was that even as my post showed up as 'guest' I had just logged in. Which means while clicking around the forums I lost my 'logged in' status somewhere... and like mentioned earlier in this thread..I have the little 'automatically log me in' box checked

grrr... gotta get used to the forums..I'm sure it's just a matter of learning and getting a grip on 'the little things'
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

Anyone know why I always have to log in twice before it logs me in?
Let cake eat them.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

the Jazz wrote:Anyone know why I always have to log in twice before it logs me in?
No, that seems to be the problem :?
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

i made a change to the cookie settings. tell me if it helps or not.
bortwein
Push Comes to Shove

Image Signatures

Post by bortwein »

Ok, here's my Complaint/Suggestion.

Image Signatures...
Complaint:
I'm ok with if they are used, but I hate it when they are bigger than the person's text post above it.

Suggestion:
Set a size limit for these items to something simple like 50px height by 300px width.

Demo:
b o r t w e i n...it rhymes with Design. / bortwein Music SongFight! Archive
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

anyone tried to nevada yet?

ha..