Long fights

Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

J$, don't be silly.
j$ wrote:The number of fighters in a single fight is only ever going to be the number of fighters divided by 2 or 3. Your argument seems to hinge on the idea that somehow having three fights put people off coming to/returning to Songfight. I don't see that. I could be wrong.
I'm not making an argument, I'm stating a fact. Songfight adopted a 3 fight system because the fights were too large when we only had 2 of them. Now we have returned to a 2 fight system because these days dividing the total number of entries split among 3 fights results in fights that are too small. My definition of 'too large' in the context of SongFight is when the fightmasters think the fight is too large; my definition of 'too small' is similar.
j$ wrote: Have JB or Spud said as much somewhere that I missed? Or to you directly?
Yes. I couldn't find the post on the forum, so it must have been in IRC.
j$ wrote:Anyway, you miss my point. I said 'I don't think...'. My opinion, expressed. Unless you're saying my opinion doesn't count, in which case it may well be this attitude which is losing us fighters.
Again J$, don't be silly. I assumed it was you who posted under your name, so I know those are your opinions. And these are my opinions. And this is an intelligent discourse. If two people civilly expressing their contrasting opinions has prompted some fighters to leave then I'm glad they are gone. Obviously I think your opinions are worth discussing; otherwise I wouldn't be posting this.
Last edited by Adam! on Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

These signs, they do nothing!

*resumes playing Stairway*
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

15-16 puzzle wrote:These signs, they do nothing!

*resumes playing Stairway*
That must be incredibly difficult without the e string. You are a guitar GOD.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

...this thread should be renamed...."long thread about...."
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

frankie big face wrote:That must be incredibly difficult without the e string.
which one? or is it BOTH of them? wow he really IS a god.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

And to think... The only instrument my brother can play is a Walkman.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Tony Asbestos
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: gtr, bs, drms, kbds
Recording Method: microphones and instruments
Submitting as: Squirrel Damage

Post by Tony Asbestos »

I am just now reading this thread. Personally, I liked the 3 song format. I reviewed more fights, and I especially liked that with more choices, there always seemed to be a title that jumped out at me each week. I am just wondering what people perfer- 2 or 3 fights.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

it certainly was easier to pick a title to do when there were 3, but i don't know if that is enough to make up for the lower number of entries generally at the moment.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

I realized a while back that having titles to choose from sort of defeated the original purpose of Songfight (at least, what I construed as the original purpose). In the old one-title days, if you didn't like a title, you either wrote a song for it anyway or waited till the next week. I still like my "Happy Machine Ankle."

I determined a while back to participate in only red fights (My "I'm with Steve Now" was an exception because it was written by J$), in order to keep contraining myself. Yeah, I've written way more than I've recorded. I kinda liked my "Hands Up," for example, but didn't have any time to record it. (Now I don't remember most of it. I wrote the lyrics down, but the bulk of the music is lost in the ether.)

Anyhoo, all that just to say that more titles are not necessarily better. :oops:
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

it's called Songfight. the plural part came out of necessity, not desire.
Hi!
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Generic wrote:I determined a while back to participate in only red fights
I think you can relax that constriction juuust a bit so that you participate in red fights AND coverfights.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

HAHA!

I get it.
Gemini6Ice
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Photoshop and Illustrator

Post by Gemini6Ice »

Jim of Seattle wrote:J$, the point of the long fight, at least as I see it, is more to allow people who otherwise find it hard to participate the time they need, rather than to induce people the people who can whip them out anyway to spend more time on their songs.
I like the idea of a green fight running parallel to the weekly fights but just having a longer period. In fact, the longfight could be limited to those who do not enter any weeklyfights for the same period. So you can either do four or five weeklyfights or do one longfight. More chances to win versus more time to prepare...
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

You know this thread is starting to remind me of 'The Three Bears'. 'This soup's too hot', 'This soup's too cold', 'this one's juuustttt right ...'

The fights are too big, the fights are too small. Mopey mopey mope mope. I know this is the right plae for it 'n'all, but sheesh, guys, does the grass always have to be greener?

j$
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

j$ wrote:Griping about Griping
I've got a solution everyone (even J$ :P) will love: Every time you post a gripe-y "I want my flying car to have two racing stripes instead of one" post (which are necessary in a community like this, but also self defeating. Look at this thread, for instance: it's a hundred posts of people* claiming the fightmasters aren't doing a good enough job, each offering a different solution. Thanks to the segregation of the new forums it's easy to ignore this squeaky wheel) you also post to the 'Praise for the Masters' thread. Seriously, for every complaint or suggestion you have there's got to be a hundred things you like about SF. I notice that the praise thread (which I also have never posted to) has only had two posts since September (!). Posting something positive will give gripers a little perspective. Also, if you're really lazy and you're just complaining for the sake of complaining (Love the sig, j$), maybe having to make two posts will act as a deterrent. All I know is I'm going to start doing this.

* myself included
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

I've posted to the praise the masters thread.

I'm a good boy.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Puce wrote:
j$ wrote:Griping about Griping
I've got a solution everyone (even J$ :P)
Hahhahahahhaha - and there was I thinking my previous post would be universally accepted as a 'hey these fightmasters are doing a great job actually' comment! I am too obtuse. This needs to be rectified.

j$
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

J$ and Leaf are, of course, off the hook. I was defiantly agreeing with your post, J$. The crux of the problem with a complaint-only thread is just what you said, "The grass is always greener", and I think if more people (like myself) posted a little praise (like you) maybe it'll balance out.

Re-reading my post I realize that it looks like I was directing it at you, mostly because I use the word 'you' a lot when referring to everyone in general. Why the hell is 2nd person singular the same word as 2nd person plural? Stupid language.
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

Puce wrote:post to the 'Praise for the Masters' thread. Or you are a jerk.
While I agree with you in sentiment, you have to remember that this forum is called "Complaints and Suggestions" and bears the following description: "Use this forum for title suggestions, bitching at moderators, whining about phpBB, and grand ideas that will solve all of Song Fight's problems." And it was created by the fightmasters! So, why the guilt trip, Puce? People shouldn't feel bad for posting complaints or suggestions in a forum specifically designed for them. I don't think it's realistic for a forum of this nature to be a balance of praise and criticism and it's worth noting that these suggestions and complaints are not about the fightmasters themselves, but specific aspects of songfight. Yet most of the praise is like "good job, guys" and doesn't say anything real or specific about the site. Which isn't to say that it's unwelcome, just that it's not the same. I'm not grumpy--just expressing my opinion.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man

Post by Adam! »

Frankie: J$ asked flip side of your question when he said "I know this is the right place for it 'n'all, but sheesh, guys, does the grass always have to be greener?". You both acknowledge that this is the right thread for griping, but I read J$'s question as "Does it always have to be so negative all the time?" My post was a suggested solution. I agree that SF needs suggestions, and I certainly agree that this section of the forum is the best place for them. But I also know that when you've got something you feel like complaining about it's easy to lose perspective and just focus on the things you don't like about SF. My challenge to myself (and anyone else) is that before I post a complaint (meant as a synonym of suggestion) I will think of at least one thing I really love about SF. I didn’t mean to say "You MUST post Happy Thoughts in a specific thread that I dictate. Puce has Spoken!" (although reading my post again it sure sounds like that. I wrote it quickly at work and didn't have time to review it), but rather "Think about something you like about SF just before you talk about something you hate about SF.” It's a good way to make sure your posts are levelheaded. And if you happen to think of something you really like, it couldn't hurt to share it.

I do concede that it sounds pretty lovey-dovey. Alas, the english language is not my friend today, so I can’t think of a better way to put it.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Puce wrote:Why the hell is 2nd person singular the same word as 2nd person plural? Stupid language.
I firmly believe that the 2nd person plural pronoun 'youse' should be in common use. This was popularised in Australia in the 1980's by world boxing champion Jeff Fenech as he proudly raised his title belt in the air and told the nation "I love youse all"
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

"Y'all." It's easy. Try it. It can even be used possessively ("y'all's"). Sounds better than "youse's," if you ask me.