Top 5 Sitcoms of All-Time

Blab about the Boob Tube.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

jack shite wrote:i think you need to keep in mind that what's "best" for a 19 year old is probably not going to be what's best for a 40-something guy. we come from different generations. why even argue the point. it's stupid. it's all just opinions.

No DUDE. These are all facts. FACTS. And if you can't handle that, you just better move along buddy.

Freakin 40 year olds, don't know what's best for them.

The Flinstones.

I'd like to consider this as a sitcom, since we're throwing in the Simpsons and such. Don't tell me that show didn't occupy some afternoons.

While we're at it... I guess Sesame Street isn't a sitcom, but it certainly deserves some props for teaching me how to connect "b" and "us".

And now the secret's out on why my on-line spelling and grammar are so stellar....
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Generic wrote:. Could you articulate it without bringing historical importance into it, or is it simple preference at that point?

...dude you amaze me at times. Seriously... to me, you are twisted. This is the TV forum.... TV!!!

...I love it.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Leaf wrote:The Flinstones.

I'd like to consider this as a sitcom, since we're throwing in the Simpsons and such. Don't tell me that show didn't occupy some afternoons.
Oh my god do I hate the Flintstones. Hate Hate Hate.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Here's what I hate about the Flintstones: they switch Barney voices on us, and just expect us to not notice, or maybe not care. Freaked me out.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

dick york? dick sargent? wtf!?
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
j$ wrote:you're wrong...
Jim, i've often seen you expressing disquietude at the reactions some of your discussion points raise. Well, if you can't tell the huge huge difference between 'I disagree' and 'You're wrong' then perhaps you're a little too defensive to be starting up discussions such as these.

I hate being mis-quoted/ inaccurately represented.

Just a heads-up

And seeing as I am now a Respected Member of the Community, I am obviously, always right. Tsk, what's a curmudgeonly old misanthrope like me to do?

j$
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Yeah, I thought of that when I wrote it. I was in a flippant mood. Sorryboutthat.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

No problem!
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Leaf wrote:
Generic wrote:. Could you articulate it without bringing historical importance into it, or is it simple preference at that point?

...dude you amaze me at times. Seriously... to me, you are twisted. This is the TV forum.... TV!!!

...I love it.
I didn't think I'd wind up making so many posts of the TV section. But I didn't expect it to be so intellectual. Is it just me, or are we a bit tantrum-prone lately? Sheesh.

While I'm thinking about it, Jack, I'm not nineteen, dorkface. Not for another two weeks, anyway. :wink:
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
j$
Beat It

Post by j$ »

Generic wrote:Is it just me, or are we a bit tantrum-prone lately? Sheesh:
Hey Jon, do you think the number of times you end up making this post, or variations on it, might suggest something that needs considering in your own overall style? Probably not, unfortunately ...
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Voila.

[EDIT: No, in fact, rather than being a little twat about it, perhaps I should explain a little more thoroughly. I make that post, or a variation on it every time I see the variation on "Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean one of us is right." And it wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't the same people making the revalation that... Wow! We can disagree without hating each other! But first arguing for a few posts about who's wronger than whom.

I'm sure that won't satisfy you, but that's how I see it, at least.]
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i forgot all about the king of queens. great sitcom.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

fodroy wrote:i forgot all about the king of queens. great sitcom.
TOP 5 OF ALL TIME????????
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

for me (and by default my list), the top 5 really needs to be monumental, groundbreaking. taking chances. and maybe most importantly, spawning a bunch of really bad copycat shows.

more than anything, the common denominator for me is absolutely brilliant writing, which often reflects society at the time, but also transcends the period to the point where the show doesn't become "dated". the humor transcends the time. and usually, the writing and humor is full of things we see in ourselves and our lives. it's real, even if it might be a cartoon where the characters never age a day.

and i hate the king of queens.
Hi!
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

I hate King of Queens for completely wasting the brilliant Nicole Sullivan.
Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

Not <i>the greatest</i> but...

Top 5 primetime network shows that defined my childhood:

The Dukes of Hazard
Mork & Mindy
Family Ties
The Cosby Show
and....Alf?!
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Generic wrote:
Leaf wrote:

...I love it.
I didn't think I'd wind up making so many posts of the TV section. But I didn't expect it to be so intellectual. Is it just me, or are we a bit tantrum-prone lately? Sheesh.

While I'm thinking about it, Jack, I'm not nineteen, dorkface. Not for another two weeks, anyway. :wink:

uh... like I said....

"tantrum-prone" segueing into "dorkface".... yep. You're twisted.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

jack shite wrote:for me (and by default my list), the top 5 really needs to be monumental, groundbreaking. taking chances. and maybe most importantly, spawning a bunch of really bad copycat shows.
You put The Andy Griffith Show on your list. Don't you actually mean Mayberry RFD? TAGS was really a weaker spinoff of the original show. I agree MRFD should be way up there. But do you think that one was groundbreaking or historically important, or was it just good?
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
jack shite wrote:for me (and by default my list), the top 5 really needs to be monumental, groundbreaking. taking chances. and maybe most importantly, spawning a bunch of really bad copycat shows.
You put The Andy Griffith Show on your list. Don't you actually mean Mayberry RFD? TAGS was really a weaker spinoff of the original show. I agree MRFD should be way up there. But do you think that one was groundbreaking or historically important, or was it just good?
i think you have it backwards. mayberry RFD was the color versions that were not that good. the black and white andy griffith shows were the best.
Hi!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

more than anything, the common denominator for me is absolutely brilliant writing, which often reflects society at the time, but also transcends the period to the point where the show doesn't become "dated". the humor transcends the time. and usually, the writing and humor is full of things we see in ourselves and our lives. it's real, even if it might be a cartoon where the characters never age a day.

and i hate the king of queens.
General agreement - but for me the major criteria for making the top 5 list is repeated watchability.

I plan to pack a emergency pack of DVD's of my Top 5 ready for the day when I may be shipwrecked alone on a desert island with only a coconut powered television to amuse myself (and no, I wont be adding Gilligan's Island to the list)
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man

Post by Jim of Seattle »

jack shite wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:
i think you have it backwards. mayberry RFD was the color versions that were not that good. the black and white andy griffith shows were the best.
Oh, you're right. I had it backwards.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

Jim of Seattle wrote:
jack shite wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote: You put The Andy Griffith Show on your list. Don't you actually mean Mayberry RFD? TAGS was really a weaker spinoff of the original show. I agree MRFD should be way up there. But do you think that one was groundbreaking or historically important, or was it just good?
Oh, you're right. I had it backwards.
and as far as TAGS being monumental or groundbreaking, that might be a stretch, but it remains a personal favorite. growing up in the south, the show showed good common sense (dare i say it?) family values, while remaining extremely funny and original.

hell, the main character was a sheriff who didn't carry a gun but always came out on top by being resourceful and patient. something to be said for that.
Hi!