Boondocks

Blab about the Boob Tube.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Boondocks

Post by blue »

if you're gonna say nigger three hundred times in a show, you have to at least be funny. Boondocks is not funny, except for the "Don't Trust the New Niggers Over There" song, which was kinda funy, but mostly just capitalizing on the discomfort of hearing people use racial/ist slang for 22 minutes.

the art and animation, tho, are freakin' great. maybe i'll like the episodes where i don't see every single joke four times in the commercials first more than the first one.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Re: Boondocks

Post by erik »

blue wrote:if you're gonna say nigger three hundred times in a show, you have to at least be funny. Boondocks is not funny, except for the "Don't Trust the New Niggers Over There" song, which was kinda funy, but mostly just capitalizing on the discomfort of hearing people use racial/ist slang for 22 minutes.

the art and animation, tho, are freakin' great. maybe i'll like the episodes where i don't see every single joke four times in the commercials first more than the first one.
I am very excited to see the show. Are you a fan of the comic strip? Do you think the comic strip is funny, or not?
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

i haven't read many, but the strips are funny. the show was like watching "crash" all over again. just one racial tension moment after another, with none of the snappy character interaction. that, and an excuse to say nigger every 83 seconds. the pacing also seemed super-frantic.

it was just the first episode tho.
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

Yeah, I really got a sense that they hadn't settled into the idea of actually making a TV show. Some of the jokes were incredibly forced, like the icy-hot bit, while other bits were hilarious, like the White People Riot at the beginning.

If they can get more of the latter and less of the former, then it'll be a success. If not, then it'll stay in mediocrity.

But hey, it's leagues ahead of the rest of their new shows.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

The intro bit with the white people riot was hysterical. Some of it was predictable, but I'm optimistic enough to chalk it up to an overabundance of hype and expectations.
Let cake eat them.
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

i thought this show didn't premiere until the 11th.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

I finally saw it, and I thought it was really funny. But then, I really like the comic strip. I thought the only real excessive use of the "n-word" was the part of the crazy valet with the glass eye. The rest of it, meh. I mean, if I was McGruder that would be on my short list of things that I would be gunning for, to get to use the word, unbleeped.

I thought there were lots of funny parts, but the references were a bit dated. I mean, Passion of the Christ, and R Kelly peeing on people? That's old news. I hope the humor stays fresh, or rather, <i>gets</i> fresh.

I think the 1/2 hour format is a good one to really get to showcase all the different characters in the strip, which can sometimes be a bit too much focused on Huey. It's good to see Grandpa and Riley balance it all out in a longer narrative.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

huzzah!

what a weird first post.

anyways, the show is definitely funny. i don't understand who (that watches adult swim) is going to be made uncomfortable by the word "nigger." it's not like we haven't heard it a million times before in music, cinema and television. the parody/satire aspect of the show is usually quite well executed, but i think the best thing about the show is the anime parody.

YOU ARE THE MINORITY!!! THEREFORE WE MAKE FUN OF YOU AND COME UP WITH NAMES!!! BLUE IS SUCH A NOOB!!! ONLY A NOOB WOULDN'T THINK BOONDOCKS IS FUNNY!!!

did anyone else have to look up the word "dago?"
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

Quit acting like a damn mick, fodroy.

Seen it once. The artist episode. Thought it was really funny, and good for society too.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I just remembered my second favorite line in the Godfather:

Woltz: I don't care how many of you dago wop guinea greasy goombas come out of the woodwork!
Tom: I'm German-Irish.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

ha, I didn't realize the show had been on this long

I've only seen a few episodes..but I like it.

Charlie Murphey and Samuel Jackson doin' voice work for white characters. CLASSIC.
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

They're saying "nigga" most of the time. Yeah, it's different.

<i>My</i> gripe with the show is, in the few episodes I've seen, it doesn't seem like McGruder can hold a narrative that long. It feels thrown together and even ridiculous at times. There are some real good moments, though.

Though, it <i>is</i> his first season and first show. Maybe by Season 2 it'll find its footing?
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

catch wrote:it doesn't seem like McGruder can hold a narrative that long.
sometimes, yeah. the show is very hit-and-miss. but more hits than misses, usually. i find it to be frequently both very amusing and insightful. as comic-strip-turned-half-hour-long-tv-shows go, this concept has worked much better than "dilbert" did.
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

And I had just forgotten about Dilbert.

Therapy, here I come...
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I'm watching Boondocks right now, and I don't know what show the naysayers are watching. It's one of the funniest and weirdly moving and all-around classy shows I've had the pleasure of watching regularly. And god damn is that theme song good.
NyC_RapperZ
A New Player

Post by NyC_RapperZ »

seven wrote:
blue wrote:if you're gonna say nigger three hundred times in a show, you have to at least be funny. Boondocks is not funny, except for the "Don't Trust the New Niggers Over There" song, which was kinda funy, but mostly just capitalizing on the discomfort of hearing people use racial/ist slang for 22 minutes.

You said and I quote "...but mostly just capitalizing on the discomfort of hearing people use racial/ist slang for 22 minutes..." What is so wrong of the creater of Boondocks capitalizing on what is so common, no rampantly used all over America to put down people of pigmentation? From "wet back" to "Nigger" I say if the person of that race can capitalize off of it then so be it. When the oppressors see that we of pigmentation are actually making some money off of it then maybe, just maybe they will find a way to push that term out of the english language. For example the word "Dago" do we even hear that word being used anymore? Its all perception! Thank God we live in America and not the middle east, and here our market economy is based on capitalism and we possess th right of "freedom of speech"

Your views are strictly in the miority and as a result your vote although cast your views matter not. Majority says that Boondocks is funny and so do I!!!

I say, who the hell cares, it's not raciest if ur own race says it for ex. I'm a nigga from newyork. When i say it, u know i mean i'm a black dude from newyork, it also depends on how it's meant