Song Fight! Live, Western North America Tour, 2007

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Lunkhead »

I'm most likely to be able to do the Bay Area and Seattle shows. Beyond that, other stops are less likely, but LA and Portland would be in the next tier of shows I'd want to try to at least attend, if not be a part of on stage.
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:I think he's saying, if you're in the path of destruction (aka the tour) try to add a date in your hometown. Or something.

You're in for the PDX show, yes Auntie? On the short list for venues are 1) The Bitter End (by PGE Park) and 2) The Green Room (over in NW 23d).
Ah, Gotcha!

I will perform, I suppose, if I'm not pushing a more complete BAND-BAND off the menu by performing. I'm not sure I can recruit anyone on shortish notice to augment my meager G&G.

RG, both those venues seem plausible, although I'm pretty sure they're both 21+. Isn't the Green room also pretty small? (In my 11 + years here I've never ventured in! ...Although I know Sheila pretty well.)

Let me know if you want me to research other potential spots for your consideration, 'cause I have some ideas!

Left Coast Ahoy!

--M
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

G&G is perfectly cool, actually. If you're willing, you're in :wink:

Assume 10-15 minute sets (subject to change depending on the number of bands, of course), with minimal setup time on either end (the basic array of amps, drums, &c. will be shared between bands, ideally, to cut down on setup/teardown time between acts.

As far as I know, both venues are 21+. Haven't talked to either of them yet, but they're the recommendations I've gotten from other gigging musicians up here (and where they've got good relations with the managements, too).

PM or email me, Auntie, with your thoughts, &c. on other venues and all the rest. My basic list of qualifications: decent sound; beer; dedicated sound person; stage room for up to 6 band members (including drum set); beer; a regular walk-in audience in addition to SF "family"; the house won't freak out at a bill of 4-10 bands of varying styles. Did I mention beer?

As soon as the list of bands gets vaguely finalized, I'll solicit tracks from them for the making of CDs to hand in along with...

Anyone: Press Kits? Press releases? Anybody have a clue how to make a package to use?

Fun!
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I just realized how far away Seattle is. :shock: Probably won't be there. Maybe some other time or place, or when I have my own car and life.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

If anything is happening is Seattle, I'll be there AND I'll be square. I live just a couple hours north of there now.

Hey JR, where abouts are you at?
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Rabid Garfunkel wrote:As soon as the list of bands gets vaguely finalized, I'll solicit tracks from them for the making of CDs to hand in along with...

Anyone: Press Kits? Press releases? Anybody have a clue how to make a package to use?

Fun!
I've got some of these materials from past SF Presents... shows and have enlisted Jack Shite to assist. We'll make these available soon.

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

OK, so the venue I had in mind initially (a gyro place in town that does shows) is closed on Sundays. I'll look into if they'll open for the show, but I think I should pursue the other avenue--the University of Idaho's Student Union Building--in the meantime. I think what I'll do is see if the existing Concert Board has an interest in sponsoring the concert, else I'll see if KUOI can get behind it, else I think I'll have the College Democrats sponsor it (as clubs get a discount, and this is as good a fundraiser idea as any). Before I start sending out emails, though... The date's fine for me, does anyone here think they would bother making the visit to my modest hometown? I don't need absolute 100% confirmation, but with myself I'd like there to be at least three or four bands so we can play for a few hours. If the show's at UI and not Mikey's Gyros there won't be alcohol (except beforehand and afterward). I think we'd have a great time, and Moscow's not /so/ podunk, so if you think you can keep the train rolling through Spokane and Moscow please speak up. Else, conditional that we can get a 18+/all ages venue in Seattle and/or Spokane (but preferably and, or preferably Spokane) it might be inadvisable to have a Moscow concert. I can't guarantee anything about turnout with unknown bands but I can say that turnout for other concerts with unknown bands has been decent with minimal publicity, and I'll have at least the promotional force of KUOI, plus flyers, plus an OK network of friends.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

let's be friends :)

http://myspace.com/songfightnorthamericawestcoastlive

ken, i'll send you the login info.
Hi!
LinaHandPuppet
A New Player

we're thinking about it...

Post by LinaHandPuppet »

the hand puppets just might do this song fight tour.
we can do san diego to san francisco, but probably wouldn't be going further north.
-lina hand puppet

ps: we have a great space in san francisco where we could host a song fight party some time. we could handle about 50 people here and any number of bands/people playing. it'd be fun.
Stubby Phillips
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Stubby Phillips »

Stubby Phillips and Dr. Water (AKA "Lake City") are IN! Tons of submitted -- and unsubmitted -- SF songs just waiting to be unleashed upon an unsuspecting Seattle public. YEAH, baby! Can't wait!
Enter a song? Review songs!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Hi All,

I started a sign up thread over in the Concerts and Events board. Let's leave Songfight Live alone.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang