Children of Men

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Children of Men

Post by Adam! »

Holyfuck see this.

A+. And I never give A+'s
[size=0]No, I am not pluralizing with an apostrophe: that is an admittedly abusive contraction of "A+ scores". I also didn't end that sentence with a period; why didn't you point that out, too?[/size]
stylonpilson
A New Player

Post by stylonpilson »

It is a great film. I liked the long, single-take sequences. And the ambush incident had me on the edge of my seat like nothing else I've ever known.

I agree that it is a must-see.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Adam! »

stylonpilson wrote:long, single-take sequences
This can't be emphasized enough. The movie's elaborate action sequences are done in long (5 - 10 minute!) unbroken takes with sometimes hundreds of people on screen, and often filmed with a handheld camera. I actually have no idea how the did some of this stuff.
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

I loved this movie. It's got a fantastic atmosphere and the visuals are so genuinely grimy and bleak. The single-take action scenes are really a joy to watch and although there's so much going on, they still feel understated. Definitely recommended.
"Technology is like living with the eyes of a shark. A shark's eyes have no life in them." - Gary Busey
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

WOW, I can't believe people liked this movie. The biggest problem was the hand held camera work. I got motion sickness, made me physically ill to watch. 2ndly, the whole thing was very predicatble, did you ever really think the child wasn't going to survive until the end? This had a great premise and I was hoping they would explore the politics and philosophy of the premise a lot more. Instead it was a big chase scene with a lot of violence. I have a rule that I violated in going to see this movie, I should've known better. Anytime a movie advertises itself by comparing itself to another movie it's usually crap. This was "this generation's Blade Runner". Blade Runner is a fantastic film, I wish I never saw Children of Men.

gets a big F from me.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

You're a fucking idiot and I have no qualms in saying that.
WesDavis
Push Comes to Shove

Post by WesDavis »

I might have to agree. Children of Men was fantastic. Who cares if it was predictable? Not every movie has to make you think. I prefer a movie that makes me feel, and that movie did just that.

I am not ashamed to say, there was one particular scene in the movie where the action stopped, near the end, that was breathtaking.
Am I rockin' hard, or hardly rockin'?
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Not every movie has to make you think. I prefer a movie that makes me feel....
I agree, this did neither for me. I thought all lthe characters were pretty thin. There was no memorable dialog for me either. I suppose the hand held stuff really colored my expirience. I did think the cinematography was pretty great, if only I could see a smooth motion version I might like it for that reason alone. I realize this is my problem, I have no artistic problem with it, just a physical reaction to it.

This isn't the 1st time I've had unpopular opinions about films, I genrally don't like action films, or plot driven films. I like character development and dialog. This felt a lot like watching someone play a 1st person shooter game for a couple hours.

How did this film make you feel? Which characters did you really care about? Was any of the dialog memorable to you?

To each his own.
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

I'm with you Glenny!

Well, actually, I loved the cinematography/handheld camera work. I also really enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so.

I enjoyed the movie as a whole much less once we got to the "first -person-shooter" section...which was, unfortunately, the bulk of the picture.

I give the pyrotechnic camerawork an A+ but the movie itself a B.

I'm also a notorious "hater of movies that other people love." I have astronomical/unrealistic expectations, I guess.
a bebop a rebop
Push Comes to Shove

Post by a bebop a rebop »

I went into this expecting to hate it (the trailers and the potentially-ridiculous plot) and it kicked me in the gut not a few times. I loved the camera-work, I'm not particularly knowedgeable of cinematography in general and even I couldn't help but notice how impossible so many of the long-takes were (MAYBE SPOILER: the one-take birth scene? amazing).

And then we got a lot of Half-Life 2, I'm a big fan of the game and couldn't help but notice a ton of similarities.

Plus I was honestly emotionally involved with at least a couple of the characters MAYBE SPOILER so the director's habit of killing them off abruptly was totally jarring.

A-
THIS IS NO JOKE
raisedbywolves
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by raisedbywolves »

This is my second favorite movie of last year, after Pan. If it doesn't win an Oscar for cinematography, something is very wrong. <b>A</b>
Aren't you the guy that hit me in the eye?
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

I saw this with Korean subtitles on the plane. I had a hard time breathing in that one scene toward the end. I don't think a scene in any movie has ever hit that hard for me. A+