Niveous' "Broken Monster"

Organize yourselfs.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

Totally cool, take your time. I'm sure you had something in mind and it's weird to hear what somebody else does with your words, especially for something so personal. And I'm aware that everything I touch comes out "Arthurian," despite my best efforts otherwise :-)

When you're ready, whatever comments you have will help me and everyone else who is working on the songs, so be honest. If you decide you don't like it, say so and say why. Even with a dozen other people doing music and performances, you're the person who has to make the stuff work as a whole.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Niv -

Hey, it's been about three weeks, just wondering if you have any feedback to share on the song yet.

A lot of people have offered to help out on the project, but it's kinda in your court to keep the project moving... if people get the impression that you're not excited about it, nobody else is gonna be either.

Anyway, umm, still waiting to hear what you think...

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

You're absolutely right, KA.

Part of it has been my own nervous insecurity. After putting out the lyrics, I didn't really hear from many people who wanted to tackle them. I began to worry that it was too dark a subject matter. I still don't know how to feel in that respect.

Another thing is that I've been on a holding pattern for the last week or so. I haven't been able to get much done musically. I flaked out on Obscurity for the ABBA fight. I've been meaning to work on some new music as well as reopen my music webiste and I haven't been able to get any of that. I've also wanted to songfight and do the skirmish and again, I haven't gotten myself in gear. Lately there are days in which I need a swift kick in the ass. I'm working on regaining both my confidence and motivation.

KA, I have thoroughly enjoyed your version of "Exist 2 Hurt". When I first wrote it, I was inspired by the sound of Hole. I figured Exist 2 Hurt would be the singalong punkish song of the album. Then I heard your version and initially, I was taken aback. I didn't exactly know what I thought of it. But with more listens, I've come to enjoy the song more. It's become a regular part of my daily listening rotation. You captured the dark feel that I wanted for the album. It's almost like when Lunkhead did "Spalding Gray is Missing" which I penned. It's a dark bluesy sound aand I really enjoy that. The guitars are crisp and the chorus ended up still being catchy. I like the addition of the second "deathwish for me". It's absolutely stellar and I currently have nothing negative to say as I have grown to love this tune.

I'll review the two Wages tunes as soon as I can.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Niveous wrote:You're absolutely right, KA.

Part of it has been my own nervous insecurity. After putting out the lyrics, I didn't really hear from many people who wanted to tackle them. I began to worry that it was too dark a subject matter. I still don't know how to feel in that respect.
Hey Niv,

I was under the impression you had had a good response. I am going to take a look at your lyrics again and see if they can help me with inspiration for the FAWM dry-spell I have been having. The Backpacker and stuff is coming with me to San Diego this week where I am at a convention on business so let's see what I can get out of it.

Will try to come back to you ASAP with some rough demos.
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
stueym
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Cubase/Stenberg CI2+/Roland VG-99/RolandGR-55
Submitting as: stueym

Post by stueym »

Okay Niv ......Update

I had the benefit of a very lazy day here in San Diego with no distractions (apart form beautiful sunny weather while my family is suffering under 18 inches of snow :-))

I have roughed out melody and chord structure for the following three songs.

"(My own) Snuff (film)" ....calling it Snuff for my purposes
"Depth"
"Exists to Hurt" Worked on this before I had even heard KA's version so hopefully it will continue to exist as its own interpretation :-)

Once I get back to Philly, I will try to develop these out more as I have particular tone and style that I am shooting for on each and need access to more tools than my voice and the backpacker.

To get the lyrics to scan into the metre of the melodies I am pursuing I will have to do some pruning, but believe me the structure and intent of your lyrics will remain.

If the muse strikes me I will try see if I can work out a few more.

Cheers
"You know, I rather like this God fellow. Very theatrical, you know. Pestilence here, a plague there. Omnipotence ... gotta get me some of that."
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

I don't seem to be getting much love over in the review thread this week, but maybe somebody will like my take on Justified (A Death in the World)...

Charles (KA)
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Niveous wrote: 4. Another Night in the Hollow
I don't think I posted this before, but J$, myself, and Niv are planning to do this one.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Crates
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard, alto saxophone, synth kits, vocals and beatbox
Recording Method: Ableton, Launchpad, Korg KP3, AT 2020, Yeti Blue, FL, Reason, Logic, Audacity, various instruments
Submitting as: MMMC / Guitarotica / SmaBoi

Post by Crates »

Are you having people do entire songs based only on your lyrics, or are you providing background tracks?

I wouldn't mind doing some rock singing for you, even though you've already gotten about 400 offers. I could probably convince Deacon to sing, too, and he's got like... a marketably good voice. Not just better than mine, but like... up there with the pop/rock stars on Billboard.

What I'd really like to do, though, is one collab track with both your stuff and mine on it for this CD. Since basically everything on the CD is rockish-oriented, and this is turning into a Niv+allofsongfight album, it seems important that you capture the nerdcore rap flava of a couple of jaded white boys from the suburbs to complete this work-of-art-to-be.

PM if you're interested. Just ignore me if you aren't. :)
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

If anyone wants to do vocals for one (or more) of these songs, I can do the music.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Hey all,

I think I have to do this differently. I think I'm gonna work on some demos of some of the songs and then maybe the community at large can help. Maybe that can get the wheels going.

PS- Crates....rap track??? I'll consider.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Tacocoatlus
A New Player

Post by Tacocoatlus »

You have no idea who I am, but I've heard a little of your stuff on here and it's intruiging, so I'll give adding a thing or two to songs a shot. Things I'd probably be able to contribute at the moment: synthesizer, toy accordion, kazoo, vocals, general weird atrmospheric noises.
Treachjuris
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: piano, guitar (acoustic/lectrc), violin (acoustic/lectrc) clarinet; whatever generates sound
Recording Method: ibanez, rhodes, tascam, m-audio, darla, cubase, magix, noteworthy, mixcraft
Submitting as: Fish Sausage, Scrotean Hydra, Yummy Bug

Post by Treachjuris »

'nother Night in the Hollow speaks to me.
Allow me to bleed for you.
"Electro-Mindscaping Nightmare music, gets me up and leaves me begging for more" ---sp00n
"If I were a rift in time right now, I would totally have a crush on this song" --- EightLeggedOedipus's friend INTOXICATED
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
Niveous wrote: 4. Another Night in the Hollow
I don't think I posted this before, but J$, myself, and Niv are planning to do this one.
-bill
Treachjuris wrote:'nother Night in the Hollow speaks to me.
Allow me to bleed for you.
Niv, do you want multiple copies of the same song?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Treachjuris
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: piano, guitar (acoustic/lectrc), violin (acoustic/lectrc) clarinet; whatever generates sound
Recording Method: ibanez, rhodes, tascam, m-audio, darla, cubase, magix, noteworthy, mixcraft
Submitting as: Fish Sausage, Scrotean Hydra, Yummy Bug

Post by Treachjuris »

Dammit. Dint know it was already a project. No biggee. :P
"Electro-Mindscaping Nightmare music, gets me up and leaves me begging for more" ---sp00n
"If I were a rift in time right now, I would totally have a crush on this song" --- EightLeggedOedipus's friend INTOXICATED
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

This has been a very hard project for me. I have very struggled with putting it together because everything is still very raw. Just looking at the lyrics brings up feelings that are sometimes hard to deal with. A song like "Justified" is about how I would talk about killing myself and truthfully believed that the world would be better off without me. And reading those lyrics, and the others, still put a bit of a chill in me.

But I still want to make this album. And I need to be more pro-active with it. Anyone who wants to be a part, pick a song that you'd be interesting in working on and PM me. Then we can toss around ideas on how to do the song and progress from there.

Do not PM me about "Exist To Hurt" as King Arthur's version is incredible and I really think it fits my (updated) vision for this album.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
HeuristicsInc
Beat It

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Yeah, sorry about the delay, Niv, but Nur Ein + SF@PA tapped my musical energy for a while. However meeting you in PA has inspired me to work on it.
-bill
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Hey, all -

Niv has given me permission to pull up this old project and see what I can do with it.

A number of people had expressed interest in working on it, and some had even done rough demos of some songs, or had ideas in their heads.

To anybody who had done any work on a song for Broken Monster and can point me to an .mp3 version of what you did, please PM me or post here.

I am not (necessarily) putting out a call for everybody to start working on this project again - at this point, I'm treating it as a KA/Niv collaboration. But I know that a bunch of people had done some work on it, and if any of that work can be recovered at this point, I'll give it a listen. Songwriter credit will be given where appropriate, but I'm not promising to use anything, just to listen.

At this point, the only songs I have in hand are the two that I did myself ("Exist to Hurt" and "Justified"), and Niveous was satisfied with those two. Anybody who did anything else with any of the songs and can get an .mp3 to me, please let me know.

Thanks,
Charles
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

I thought this project was dead, but IT'S ALIVE!!! I'm still interested in participating. KA/Niv, I could write some rough music for some tunes or just provide vocals. Can we get a summary of what you guys have so we know what you still need?
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
wages
Panama
Instruments: Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
Recording Method: Zoom h4n, Audacity
Submitting as: Wages

Post by wages »

jute gyte wrote:If anyone wants to do vocals for one (or more) of these songs, I can do the music.
I'm here!
Wages - Hoglen & Wages - The Affirmative Mention - Gawking Urethras - The EAF - and more
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man

Post by king_arthur »

Well... if anybody wants to work on a song for this, the three that nobody has expressed any interest in at all yet are "the day that shouldn't be," "diamonds of lucifer," and "360." j$ had expressed interest in "they get scared," but didn't get anything written.. hipcola had expressed interest in "sins of the father," but never followed up.

So... if anybody wants to try their hand at anything, those are the songs most in need of attention. Again, I don't know where the project is headed, exactly, so I make no promises about what will or won't get used.

Charles (KA)
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

Yo, I know I've shown 0 interest in this up til now but I did this guitar line and was singing Diamond of Lucifer over it. I'll let you know how I get on, it's sounding Slint-ish so far but with a small ray of light.