instruments for SF2K7

All about the next annual live event. Are you coming?. Discuss travel & lodging. Recruit band members, discuss equipment, setlists, etc.
jeff robertson
Panama
Instruments: guitar, bass, programming
Recording Method: Reaper, Audacity
Submitting as: FLVXXVM FLORVM, Jeff Robertson and the Neo-Candylanders
Pronouns: he/him

instruments for SF2K7

Post by jeff robertson »

The flyer says "instruments will be provided". I assume JB is taking care of this. Wow, what an awesome thing to do to save people from having to bring their axes on planes and shit.

As a local, however, I plan to bring my own equipment, so as to leave the loaners available for the out of town set.

I will also let people use my stuff, as long as you promise to help my drunk ass remember to haul it back to suburbia at the end of the night. Beware, most of it is old, busted, and wasn't that good to begin with.

I can bring one electric guitar, one acoustic guitar, two small practice amps, a beat up casiotone, and an assortment of stompboxes (most of which work).
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

This is actually KINDA the norm. Locals usually provide some help instrument and transportation-wise. I think that JB has a pretty good arsenal of instruments and I'm bringing the PA and etc...

Not to say that we're EXPECTING your help...as much as I'm trying to say THANKS! The help is always extremely ...well..helpful! I'm sure JB could use a hand. A lot of this is a bit more 'last minute' than usual and any extension of ones hand is grateful.

I'm gonna bring all I can to the limitations of the vehicle Dre apprehends. However, you don't necessarily want to complicate things. I won't have time to TAG everything I own but I'll HELP you keep track of what is yours and what is ...wait for it...wait for it...and in my best gilbert godfrey "MINE!"

:-)

Looking forward to meeting you. As a former Atlantan, I must ask you what part of 'Suburbia' that you are from. I lived in Smyrna (home of Julia Roberts), Marietta (Home of the Black Crows), and Powder Springs before I had ever moved to the city. (I lived in Midtown and the Virginia Highlands for a total of six years before moving to Florida)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

Oh, and what I plan on bringing:

PA head and two speakers.
8 channel mixing board
2 decent vocal mics, and a couple of other cheapies.
(various other mics)
stands and cables and connectors
12 string acoustic (with pickup)
possibly a cabinet or two. (depending on space available for travel)
frankie big face
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, Bass, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Keyboard, Violin, Other Stuff
Recording Method: Logic, UAD Apollo Twin, aging iMac
Submitting as: frankie big face

Post by frankie big face »

I'm not exactly local, but JB asked me to bring a bunch of SM58s, cables and some condenser mics to record the show. I'll probably throw in a few SM57s as well. So, we should be covered mic-wise, but NOT mic stand-wise.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Instruments are covered. If you bring your instruments, I'll probably ask you to leave them at my house (where you'll be rehearsing) for the gigs, so as not to clutter the venue and overcomplicate the setup.

I have a decent electric, a decent electric bass, a decent acoustic, a guitar amp, a good synth, an acoustic amp to run vox through, and I'll have a bass amp and a drum set. The venues are small, there will be no monitors and it will be plenty loud. We'll use Frankie's SM57s to mic the guitar amp, bass amp, and vocal amp, and run the synth into the PA direct. I'll arrange for an amp to monitor the keys/laptops.

The mics and cables will be useful. I'll have mic stands.

It might seem last minute, as I'm not the most communicative guy around, but I've been working on this for weeks, Hoblit. Just get your ass here in time with the PA so I don't have to rent one at the last minute. :)

And eat lots of tacos and drink lots of Margueritas.

JB
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
jeff robertson
Panama

Post by jeff robertson »

In that case, if things are "covered" to the point where additional instruments will make things complicated, then I'll probably just bring one acoustic for rehearsals and that's it.

EDIT: I'll still have the junk in my trunk just in case. Like if there needs to be more than one person playing electric guitar at the same time.
Last edited by jeff robertson on Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Brainpipe has to bring its own synths and laptops for the show... :)
If it helps we might be able to wire our stuff up separately and only have a couple of outs... not sure what Craig's plan is for that.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

yeah this is a good question.. every sound I'm making is coming off a laptop. I was hoping to provide a stereo pair of 1/4" for the instruments and another for vocals (processed by the computer), so somebody elsewhere could mix the vocals -- i had a problem getting that right from the stage in boston..

I don't know what bill's soundcard is capable of output-wise, but are you able to handle a few inputs like this?

Otherwise I'm going to have to rethink some things...

-craig
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

We'll work it out Starf. Bring the noise. I have some budget for sundries and there's a music store in the village, so we'll figure it out.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

thanks!

-craig
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

My soundcard's outs are XLR, but I have adapter cords to make them 1/4" (I think, or even those phono jacks) if needed. My synth, which is my only other need, is a single 1/4" out. I'm bringing a lot less stuff than for PA. Oh, also, would be good to have a table or somethin' for putting these things on.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
jeff robertson
Panama

Post by jeff robertson »

Hoblit wrote:Looking forward to meeting you. As a former Atlantan, I must ask you what part of 'Suburbia' that you are from. I lived in Smyrna (home of Julia Roberts), Marietta (Home of the Black Crows), and Powder Springs before I had ever moved to the city. (I lived in Midtown and the Virginia Highlands for a total of six years before moving to Florida)
Chamblee, more or less.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

Do xlr -> 1/4" -> DI box -> xlr -> mixer -> rca -> PA. That'll totally make it sound phat.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

fluffy wrote:Do xlr -> 1/4" -> DI box -> xlr -> mixer -> rca -> PA. That'll totally make it sound phat.
The PA does have a couple of channels with RCA inputs. (therefore eliminating the mixer in that equation)
starfinger
Panama

Post by starfinger »

is the PA stereo?
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Are the margaritas on the rocks?