I need to develop something

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

I started to type that the push model is the better way, but truth is that's just how I've been envisioning it, and I hadn't thought about another way. A 5-10 second ping of the server could work too. I think the metric that's highest priority is the time between a user submitting a change (be it audio or metadata) and the time it is recevied by the other player. Otherwise, with too big a lag, people are going to be stepping on each other all the time. I'm envisioning these loops to be between 2-6 seconds in length, average, so a compressed stereo file at that size would only be about 50Kb, which transfers fast. A client initiates any change by submitting it, but the info about those changes (besides the new audio, I mean the event name, new users entering and exiting, that sort of thing), has to be sent to all users as soon as it happens. When a user enters or exits, for example, all the cleints have to be notified even though the audio didn't change. So that would have to be a separate operation. With conceivably 5 people playing together, changes could come pretty quickly. So which do you think would be better?

Hey what about this? Maybe the client pings the server every time the loop starts again. So for a 3 second loop, the server is pinged every 3 seconds. With a 1-second download at 50kbs, they'd theoretically get a change one rep after it was submitted. The metadata would be even smaller and faster.

I don't know. Am I rambling?

tviyh: Are their automations really dependent on us formatting our emails properly? I didn't know that. I thought the instructions in the FAQ were just for completeness sake. If that's true, I humbly apologize, Fightmasters. You should make it more clear in the FAQ why you are asking us to send the song with a given format. I'll do it that way from now on.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

well i don't really want to say too much because i don't honestly know about all the magical workings of the songfight! update event. but i believe fightmaster jr. has to receive all the songs via e-mail, and manually title each filename based on the band name and song title, and also manually type the list of band names for each fight based on the songs received, and then sends the whole shebang over to fightmaster sr. for the updating-the-website part of it. or at least something along those lines.

but that bit, in addition to the blurb about the fights' winners, as far as i know are the only non-automated processes. and i'm just saying that part can't be automated probably because you would end up with a bunch of bands called "Dear fightmasters here is my song" or "zero to phantom" or whatever.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

Jim of Seattle wrote: Hey what about this? Maybe the client pings the server every time the loop starts again. So for a 3 second loop, the server is pinged every 3 seconds. With a 1-second download at 50kbs, they'd theoretically get a change one rep after it was submitted. The metadata would be even smaller and faster.
at first i though, yeah it'll keep it in sync, but then i though of 10,50,100+ users pinging the server every 3 seconds... be allmost like the ping of death. but yeah, i'll give this some though, while you can come up with some diagrams/documentation of what is it that you have in mind.
what about GUI do you have a rought idea of what it'll look like ?
cuz i love making GUI's.

edit:
Another thing is.. you may want to check and see if this program that were talking about, hasn’t been done yet... I wouldn't be surprise if something along this line has been done already.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

dre wrote:another project could be adding a danm spell checker to the message board.. god knows i could use one.

ahhhh...there is a God, and he is Dre.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Otherwise, with too big a lag, people are going to be stepping on each other all the time.
You should allow groups some control over who participates. Let them vote people out or something. Gotta be a way to keep out the riffraff from your room.
Hey what about this? Maybe the client pings the server every time the loop starts again. So for a 3 second loop, the server is pinged every 3 seconds.
How do RSS readers do this?
tviyh: Are their automations really dependent on us formatting our emails properly?
No. The email is processed by hand. Formatting it correctly just saves me time and helps avoid a headache from jerking my eyes around looking for where the person put their band name and then retyping it in lowercasealloneword format.

It's a hassle and I do want to build a PHP-based entry system that makes it all slick and automatic. But Jim is building a .NET application. And anyway, I can build us an entry system myself. I just need to get around to it.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Post by Jim of Seattle »

jb wrote:You should allow groups some control over who participates. Let them vote people out or something. Gotta be a way to keep out the riffraff from your room.
Oh yeah, good call.

Still, JB, I think a post somewhere on the boards reiterating the easiest way for emails to be formatted would be a good idea, even if you DO do it by hand. I'm sure everyone wants to make things easy on you.
Here's my record label page thingie with stuff about me if you are so interested: https://greenmonkeyrecords.com/jim-of-seattle/
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

i think dre's "codfusion" sounds like an awesome product.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

HeuristicsInc wrote:i think dre's "codfusion" sounds like an awesome product.
-bill
what can i say, my left hand is faster than my right hand....
coldfusion.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

dre wrote:what can i say, my left hand is faster than my right hand....
WHOAH! too much information, pal.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

sometimes typos yield interesting results... just wanted to point this one out because it sounded cool. i mean... codfusion! think about it.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas