Gritty Kitty Litter (Bad Cat reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

one thing I meant to add to my 'chin music' review is that it sounds a hell of a lot like Existential Deliberations' "Flood Victim"

also max the cat's sounds a lot like "tell everybody I know" by Keb Mo'

also I'd recorded a lot more abut my own song but that made my review longer than the song itself so I cut it out
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

[quote="Leaf"]
KLOWNHOLE: You’re like Black Sabbath meets Pantera. I think it’s the mix and vocal style. You know what? This reminds me of going to the Cambridge Fall Fair when I was 15…with The Hip Cola actually… and there was this band there called “Earthâ€
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

they weren't "the" earth...they were a local band with that name.

Still heavy as fuck though. (and we all know, when something is as heavy as "curseword"...it's heavy. )
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

Leaf wrote:they weren't "the" earth...they were a local band with that name.

Still heavy as fuck though. (and we all know, when something is as heavy as "curseword"...it's heavy. )
Fuckin A
Smalltown Mike
Mean Street
Submitting as: shrts, Sewer Ppl, Flaming Tiger, shrts, shot pounder, Gert, Slither, Gaping Maw
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Smalltown Mike »

Melvin

MC Milk Plus
Great flow, cool voice, but I always find it hard to pick out what you’re saying. But a pretty damn good track. Short, but good. Samples?

Melvin
Hey—how come you’re not rapping? I’d love to hear one of your tunes with real drums. That’s what I’d like. Great back-up vocals as always, and I really like that breakdown at about 1:06. Great, great tune. My kids are trying to watch Beetlejuice, though, and they didn’t like it when I cranked it through the speakers. Man, don’t say the name of that movie three times in a row fast.

Max the Cat
Your stuff is really growing on me. I think I’ll go back and collect everything of yours I don’t have and listen to it all one morning. You’ve got a laid back groove that I dig. Nice—great lyrics.

Luke Henley
I just realized that recorder that kept playing in the background at odd times was actually my three-year-old and not part of the song. So start again. I always wish there was less hiss and noise on your tracks. I really liked your Leaf blower, but I think this might be my new favourite of yours. Nice—though it does seem to lose some focus at the end. And, yes, I realize that crazy drum beat is my son on the couch, and not part of your tune.

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints
At the start, this sounds so much like “Pop Musicâ€
Punk rock is for children. Grab a six-pack at Half-a-Dozen Records.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Smalltown Mike wrote:Sockpuppet
See Ned Plimpton. These lyrics are kind of—kind of—funny at first, but the joke gets old really quick. The delay on the drums was cool, too. But the forced vocals singing forced jokes doesn’t really work.
those were jokes?
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Yeah, Leaf, the DB&tI is J$ and me, although this time J$ had to finish it for us as I left on vacation. J$ suggested a lyric idea, I suggested a different one, he made some music, I recorded some other bits, he threw out the original music, we wrote lyrics together, then I went on vacation and didn't hear our song until this evening. J$ - I like it!
Listened to everything while reading the boards. Will post some reviews another day. Nice to be back.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Look! It's reviews from a fluffy!

--------

Hi Everyone this is fluffy. Um. My wrists are really bad this week, so I thought I'd, uh, do an audio review. Type of thing. Just to uh... blurghle flurghe. I hope you enjoy it.

Chin music starts up as a pretty standard blues guitar slide guitar type thing. Um. The lyrics come across as salad words, I'm not really that into the actual lyrics. The uh song is at least fairly short. And uh it does have that interesting instrumental break toward the end, or at least halfway through. SO y'know i guess its an okay effort. Just not anything i would really find—I doubt that I'd remember it in a year.

So DJ Big Dick or Big Richard or whatever. Comes across as y'know just another kid who really wants to be something special. Being blurghle flurghleand all that. So y'know, I uh, you kinda put me on edge to start with here. Y'know, SF is more than just the fight. There's the community and everything. It's one thing to have a persona where you're this big blurghle flurghle sort. But yknow I think you'd do a lot better in this community if you were a bit more friendly. Y'know. It's. Basically you're an asshole. I like the beat boxing though.

Dollar bill and the ink points. Mhmm! J$ and uh I'm guessing H.Inc, y'know just from the dollar bill thing. I really like the prod in this one and the lyrics are pretty good and actually Johnny's singing has actually improved a lot. Um. I like how uh it sounds a lot more natural a lot less forced. Sounds less like you're chomping at a carrot. Uh. If that makes any sense... I'm not sure if I like or hate the punning. I think it's just on this side of being annoying. Which is good I mean. The puns are nicely reserved. Um. And y'know they're cute and blurghle flurghle they're not so—this song had a lot more potential of being obnoxious. Let's put it that way. But I uh think it's really good. It's pretty well produced. Pretty interesting instrumentation. I'm always up for the minimal abstraction kinda things. That Heuristics inc is so good at. And uh it sounds like pretty clever wordplay, maybe not so much clever as much as y'know very playful. And that's uh, I always appreciate that.

Gert. You rage against that machine, brother. Eh, it sounds very garagebandy standard riffs, nothing really that uh nothing really captivating really. Something that would sound very at home on the Best Of American Idol compilation or something. That you play at 3pm on 94 Rock. Kinda a Klownhole imitation. Which is interesting as Klownhole is in this fight.

Gagnsta from the hood starts off pretty well. I'm always a sucker for those flangey LFO synth lines. It turns into hip hop. Eh. I feel like there's too much hip hop on Songfght so I'm usually biased against it. Especially as it's usually not very good. So uh. It's just uh it seems like it came out of the mad lib 'insert rhyme here' school of rapping.

J$'s evil twin. Doesn't sound like $'s twin or very evil. This is a cute little song. This is who is this? 40 Second Song or Jonathan Mann? Sounds like it could be someone messing around—Carol Cleveland? I guess those are like—are those all the same band? Anyway. I like the extremely minimal production on this. Sounds like its just the voice, but a lot of voice. But it's very cute. Y'know, it really sums up the existence of being a cat at least my impression of it blurghle flurghle. Very short though.

Right after that, we actually have Johnathan Mann. The song, uh, it has some interesting parts, but for the most part it just sounds y'know I like the shoopedy doopey stuff, especially as i used to have a cat called Shoobie named after Shoobie Taylor. Eh. This one's cute. It's y'know. Sounds like many Jonathan Mann songs.

Keeeen! Fellow inner blood circle member. This sounds so much like one of your other songs, I just can't quite place which one. It's a g&g song, which it, uh, it can be done well. But. It needs something more. It needs at least drums and bass. But I tend to more I tend to like more exotic instrumentation. Actually. I think. What would be perfect would be a hurdy gurdy.

And now it's King Arthur with the band in the box song. I really like your words, I really like the chord progression. I like the arrangement of the song, except your songs always sound band in the box. And it's uh pretty frustrating, because I know you're a good musician. You just. But. Band in box is such laziness. It would be. I mean. There's a lot of uh lazy music production that doesn't have to sound like band in the box. Um. And I hate wanting to recommend loop sequence, but I think you could do some really interesting stuff. If you were to expand your horizons. Beyond like you're trying to emulate 50s rockabilly without actually having real performers do.

Klownhole! You're gonna punch us in the neck all the way from Belleveu Alabalma! Wow. This is uh a very Klownhole song. That's all I can say about it.

Luke Henley. Tune that piano. Please. Please. Tune that piano. Or get a digital piano. You don't have to tune those. Also try to blend in the noise when you try to turn on those vocals. Maybe fade that in a little. Extend that noise to the beginning of the track so it wouldn't be so apparent. What would be even better is getting rid of the noise entirely. But I know that can be really difficult. Uh. Production issues aside this is actually a pretty nice song. Um. It doesn't quite grab me. But it is a nice arrangement. We don't hear many piano and guitar song. And they can be pretty hard to pull off pretty well. The words are a bit muddled. I had a hard time figuring out what you're saying. It needs to be a bit more variation in the song I think. It just doesn't really hold my interest.

Max the cat! Entering into the bad cat fight. That seems a bit obvious even by songfight standards. I really like the musical arrangements on this, it seems I can't rally place hearing a song that has accordion guitar and harp in one song. So that's pretty cool. As far as anti-Bush ranting goes, it's I dunno, it's cute but I dunno I'm pretty burned out on anti-bush. Aside from that it's a pretty cute song. I really like the rhymes and lyrical structure. So uh. It's a cute little song.

MC Milk +. Your forum posts amuse me. I really like your avatar also. This song's pretty cool. I like the funkyness. It's uh it's somewhere between funk and hip hop. Eh. I think you pull it off pretty well. And I uh I like the chorus, that lyrical hook. That's pretty cool. This is a really infection song. Uh. It really needs to get down too. It's got a really good rhythm, really good beat. Really good vocal performance all round. I can totally imagine Felix the cat performing this. Or having a song dubbed over Felix the cat doing various tings. Not why stealing milk would cause a spoon handle placed in a cats posterior, um...

Melvin! Another song that is just uh kinda like template rock song. Yeah. I just. I don't really know what to say about it. Just uh, it's a song. It would do really well on the radio.

Ned Plimpton. I really like this. this is a really awesome song. I really like the whole y'know big band y'know multiple performer thing going on. It's uh pretty cute. Reminds me a lot by blurghle flurghle. This is a pretty funny songsong I have to really consider voting for this one, just because I just can't help laugh at it or with it rather. I actually like the instrumentation and uh, other reviewers have said they don't like many notes or too many things cramped together but I think it works really well for the song.

Le chic sonic. Cute. Well produced short.

And finally we have sockpuppet. Which you may have figured out is my entry. I've decided Sockpuppet is my new band name, which I named a whole ago. Y'know I was going for sort of a blurghle flurghle meets Bjork. Thing here. I've been in a very experimental mood lately. Thought I'd just try something different. Do the minimal instrumentation and just going for weird complex polyrhythms and stuff. Y'know, I certainly don't expec tit to win. But I certainly had a lot of fun doing this. So. Uh. I just thought the lyrics would be a cute little stab at. I figured there'd be a lot of entries which were all “I have a big cat he is fatâ€
Songfighter since back in the day.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

I did not mumble! You just don't know a lot of musicians it seems. Thom Yorke! Al Lowe! etc.

I retract my request for transcriptions.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Sorry, what was that? All I could see was "BLURGHLE FLURGHLE BLURGHLE!" :P
Songfighter since back in the day.
DJ Big Dick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DJ Big Dick »

Alright, I didn't listen to all the songs, but here are the one's I did listen to.

Luke Henley - Starts off cool, but lost me about half way through, never really got going, I didn't listen to the entire song so maybe it got better.
6/10

MC Milk Plus - Funk guitar rules, your white as bread rapping, however, does not. I hate nerd rap.
3/10

Dollar Bill and the Inkpoints - Remarkably boring.
2/10

Max the Cat - I honestly don't know what to say.
?/10

Ned Plimpton Orchestra - The music at the beginning rules, rest of it doesn't.
5/10

Sockpuppet - Music is awesome, don't really like the singing or the lyrics, but the music kicks ass.
8/10

Klownhole - I was expecting this to be bad because your name is terrible, but it wasn't, not amazing, but at least it's different from the rest of the songs so far.
6/10

Gangsta from the Hood - Nice beat, but can't really hear you, you don't flow to well with the beat, and your rapping sounds void of emotion. But you earn points seeing as how I was expecting more ironically named nerd rap, but it wasn't.
6/10
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

DJ Big Dick wrote: Klownhole - I was expecting this to be bad because your name is terrible, but it wasn't, not amazing, but at least it's different from the rest of the songs so far.
6/10
This coming from someone named 'DJ Big Dick'.
DJ Big Dick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DJ Big Dick »

Meatwad wrote:
DJ Big Dick wrote: Klownhole - I was expecting this to be bad because your name is terrible, but it wasn't, not amazing, but at least it's different from the rest of the songs so far.
6/10
I've never heard that before.
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

DJ Big Dick wrote: Ned Plimpton Orchestra - The music at the beginning rules, rest of it doesn't.
5/10
so some of it rules some of it doesnt. thanks, i'll use that in next week's fight. very helpful.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DJ Big Dick
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by DJ Big Dick »

TheNedPlimptonOrchestra wrote:
DJ Big Dick wrote: Ned Plimpton Orchestra - The music at the beginning rules,
rest of it doesn't.
5/10
so some of it rules some of it doesnt. thanks, i'll use that in next week's fight. very helpful.
Or we can use our deductive reasoning skills, let's start at the beginning:
The music at the beginning rules,
Judging by that, it's safe to say that the music at the beginnning is good, since it's good you should probably make more like it, but let's move on.
rest of it doesn't.
Alright, that's telling me "music after the beginning isn't good."

Granted I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I think I can deduce from that that you should make more stuff that sounds like the beginning of that song, and less that sounds like the rest of it.
TheNedPlimptonOrchestra
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by TheNedPlimptonOrchestra »

please exuse my flip response, it was a little rude i admit.

the structure is basically ABABABAB. so is what your saying that the instrumental section is good and the lyrics/vocals are garbage? because musically, the beginning is the same as the rest of it.
Meatwad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Meatwad »

DJ Big Dick wrote:
Meatwad wrote:
6/10
I've never heard that before.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

His parents must have really hated him to give him that name.
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Or they were really really impressed.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

I'm sorry I don't have time to review this whole fight

but I love Luke's song. Dude, never take anybody's advice on how to write (or record) songs
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Chin Music - Nice voice. A rather dark recording and a bit loose for my taste. Nice horn break. The slide guitar work is good, but needs some high end. Drums get lost in the mix. It might help if you used some low cuts on the other instruments.

DJ Big Dick - This gets repetitive quick.

Dollar Bill and the Ink Points - Interesting sounds. I'm not hooked in though. Nice third verse lyrics.

Gangsta from the Hood - Good flow. This ends pretty quick. I was gonna say something about how solid and simple your track was and I enjoyed that.

Gert - Damn Gert, you rock! Please continue to RTFO!

Johnny Cashpoint's Evil Twin - Short, odd, whatever.

Jonathan Mann - Clever wordplay. Interesting accapella part. I'd like this to lead back to a fully instrumentated section.

Ken's SDBnS - I wrote this the night before the deadline and was just enjoying the wordplay. I decided to record it G&G style for kicks. Thanks to everyone who said nice things about it. I think a full band version will appear soon.

King Arthur - Are you the Songfight king of boogie? Yes, you are. This song is very good.

Klownhole - Damn that is some rock! Possibly more rock than Gert. I would like to see you two in a hard rock battle of the bands, like Ralph Macchio vs. Steve Vai in Crossroads.

le chic sonique - I know from experience that Songfight loves songs with accordion and female vocals. Also, French is the second most common Songfight language after English.

Luke Henley - Nice piano. Good layering of vocals. Using EQ to add low cuts to your tracks would eliminate a lot of the background noise. You should try it. I can't tell if I like the wordplay or think it is too random. Did you record this on a 4track? It sounds good for that.

Max the Cat - Nice acoustic guitar sound. The bass is farty though. I don't like it. Vocals sounds really good. I am impressed that this is a dense mix, but everything fits together really well. How did you do it? Is this all midi?

MC Milk Plus - Hey, this sounds like G. Love meets Cypress Hill. Done very well.

Melvin - This sounds familiar, but I don't know why. It sounds pretty good. Are you copying another song with this? Maybe it just reminds me of something else. Good job.

Ned Plimpton Orchestra - Well played, recorded and a great arrangement. Lyrics just aren't my cup of tea.

Sockpuppet - I like when the beat finally comes together. I don't appreciate the rhyming dictionary lyrics. Why put your vocals in such a high register that you can't sing them? I don't know, I just don't get it.

Interesting mix of hard rock and rap in this fight. I don't know who I would vote for. There is also a lot of well recorded and excellent songs that didn't engage me. Maybe I'll have to listen to this fight again sometime.
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang