Blab about the Boob Tube.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

I haven't noticed that.

The Supernova songs have been weak up until this week. I don't think that Lukas did that great a job with it but I see a wealth of potential in "It's On". Though I must say I have been listening to "Be Yourself and 5 Other Cliques" alot- the song they did with Toby Rand, and it's growing on me. Again, probably needs a different singer.

With only 5 contestants left- I don't think I'd listen to Supernova fronted by Magni because he bores me. Toby Rand lacks that certain something. Dilana gets on my nerves. Lukas' voice lacks range. So basically if Storm Large doesn't win this...I'll probably never listen to Supernova.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

King Arthur wrote:I'm actually starting to think that I need to plunge into Nirvana, and that I'd actually like some of it if I gave it a fair listen!
You might enjoy the Unplugged In New York album as it's a bit toned down, yet displays how strong the songs are minus all the distortion and what-not. "All Apologies", while having been played 8 gazillion times, is a great song.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I am obsessed by this show. So that makes more than Niv and the King watching...

I was rather suprised by Ryan's departure. I think he could give their songwriting the kick in the ass it needs... Sueprnova may not be a long-lived great band, but the show is fantastic.

My favourite two lines of the season so far, paraphrased cause I dont' have it memorized...

1) When Ryan said something like "we aren't strageists, we're musicians". Damn, I laughed at that one. Musicians are the biggest politicians and strategists going!!! (opinion...not neccessarily fact.)

2). "She's turning into Jill." - Toby Rand, referring to Dilana's collapse...

Fun.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur
Pronouns: he/him

Post by king_arthur »

I'm thinking that Dilana is the one contestant I would actually pay money to go see with this band, although I am, admittedly, not in their target demographic...

I also think it's interesting that Lukas got caught bad mouthing some of the other contestants back about week two or three, and while he has continued to deliver the performances, I think he kinda crumbled in terms of "attitude" as well. This week, I kinda felt like Dilana should have really just left it all behind, and not tried to take one last kick at herself with her song selection on "bottom three" night.. although her performance on elimination night was definitely a killer. Maybe she just felt like she needed to assure her "fans" that she really felt bad (but she really can rock).

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

I actually think her elimination night performance was the worst of all her performances. If I'm trying to save myself from elimination, I'm not going to way myself down with the Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer". David Byrne is not a dynamic performer and it shows it a lot of the music (except "Lifetime Piling Up"). Dilana came out just as stagnant performing their song.

If I was in Supernova, I'd be peeshy about having Dilana in my band. She's already insulted people in the press and then had a glass throwing breakdown. And she's not even in the band yet. That's a bad omen.

As for the elimination of "the Dark Horse", the voting public put Supernova in that situation. Dilana up until recently has been on top of her game. Storm has been pretty good, doling out some strong performances and showing gutsiness that the other performers don't show (Plus her personality is killer). Ryan's been in the bottom 3 before. Storm & Dilana hadn't. Ryan has been growing and has a lot of potential but it came down to what do you do- hitch your ride to the one with the potential or the one who is already living up to their potential. Ryan had to go.

It should've been Toby who is as enjoyable as vegemite.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
anti-m
Ice Cream Man
Submitting as: Anti-m, Jeplexe

Post by anti-m »

Niveous Devilchild wrote:David Byrne is not a dynamic performer
Whaaaaaat??

Because I live under a rock, I only JUST NOW realized that this show was featuring our very own Stumptown diva Storm. Now I'm sad that I missed the whole thing!

--Em
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Niveous Devilchild wrote:David Byrne is not a dynamic performer and it shows it a lot of the music (except "Lifetime Piling Up").
I strenuously disagree. Perhaps the song is suited to David Byrne's performance style, and not that of a typical "rock singer." If you don't find him incredibly engaging and dynamic in "Stop Making Sense," then I feel sorry for you-- you're missing out.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

After a quick viewing of some "Stop making Sense", I repeal my statement. Though I must say that many of the Talking Heads performances I've seen have not been of that calibre. They have been more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zep0IC_v4yU
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

No! Sit down and watch the whole thing! Tonight! David Byrne is sooooooooo my boyfriend!

--Em
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

anti-m wrote: Because I live under a rock, I only JUST NOW realized that this show was featuring our very own Stumptown diva Storm. Now I'm sad that I missed the whole thing!

--Em
Here ya go. Enjoy the wonders of Storm Large on Rockstar (in reverse chronological order):
"Helter Skelter"
"Bring Me To Life
"Cryin'"
"I Will Survive"
"We Are The Champions"
"Changes"
"Anything, Anything (Encore)"
"Anything, Anything"
"Just What I Needed"
"Surrender"
"Pinball Wizard"
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Maybe I've seen the wrong performances of the Talking Heads. Or maybe he just shines more on songs that aren't the hits. I don't think I'll ever become a big fan of him as a performer but I'll never call him static again.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
anti-m
Ice Cream Man

Post by anti-m »

Niv! Thanks for posting these... I'll watch the rest when I'm not at work.

I DID just check out her cover of "Just What I Needed" which is one of my own favorites to hit on the karaoke circuit. She was fantastic, but she seems so reigned in compared to her live performances about town!

I do love that she told Tommy Lee "Tommy -- Six letters: G-O-O-G-L-E" in response to his "Duh! I wanna see you nekkid!" Classic.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

anti-m wrote:she seems so reigned in
Check out "Helter Skelter" or "Anything Anything" (the first version, not the encore)
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I don't get the whole "it's not memorable" line they give Storm. She is SUPER memorable...and not on looks... I think she's the best kind of musician; capable of complete domination with her skills and performance yet still cares about what everyone else is bringing.

Watching her clips of her old band on youtube really shows that excellent performance vibe she has.

I liked Ryan... but I think he'll do just fine.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

This week:

5 covers & 5 originals!
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Big "wow" to Storm and Toby for last night's show. Toby has become the Caravan Ray of the real world (Oi Oi Oi), and Storm's original song fits perfectly in with all the Supernova songs we've heard so far. Suprised to see Storm in the bottom three in the early voting.

Dilana seems to have self-destructed over those reality show clips - last Wednesday, and especially last night, that should have all been put behind her (King Arthur taking note). Between that and her injury, if she's in the bottom three tonight, I suspect she'll be going home. I thought Lukas' two songs were immediately forgettable, and I was surprised to see him in second place in the votes...

Hoping that for tonight's encore they'll have Magni do his original song in Icelandic. That would be the coolest.

Charles (KA)
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

I hadn't seen this show before (except a couple snippets from the first season) but I just had the distinct misfortune and displeasure of seeing one of the guys mangle one of the better songs ever written...Karma Police. It was surreal watching a bunch of 17 year old girls half-heartedly throwing up horns to this song and him pitifully trying to make the song "rock".

Is nothing sacred?
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Is nothing sacred?
I felt the same way hearing Thom Yorke butcher Nobody Does It Better :P

But no, nothing is sacred in pop culture.

Rockstar is about characters as much as performances. Fans get attached to the singers, and by this stage in the show's run it matters little how well someone sings a particular song. Toby gave Karma Police the Toby treatment, which is all the fans wanted.
Kill Me Sarah
Panama
Instruments: Guitar, GarageBand
Recording Method: GarageBand, TonePort UXII, Reaper, MXL 990 & 991 Mics
Submitting as: Kill Me Sarah, Bonfire of the Manatees, Hurrikitten

Post by Kill Me Sarah »

deshead wrote:
Is nothing sacred?
I felt the same way hearing Thom Yorke butcher Nobody Does It Better :P
Really? That's one of my all time favorite covers.
"[...] so plodding it actually hurts a little bit" - Smalltown Mike