Grammar/Style Nazi Thread

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

+h3r35 n0+h1nG vvR0|\|g vv1+h b31ng cR34+1v3
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
c hack wrote:
tviyh wrote:definitely two spaces after a period.
Damn, you guys are arguing this like it's a matter of opinion. Pick up a fucking book, look how many spaces there are after the period.

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... ter+period
Ironically enough, in the first link that Google found, Bill Hill wrote:Bill Hill gives his opinion on why you only put one space after a period.
Seriously though, next time I typeset a book, I'll be sure to follow the "one space after end punctuation" rule, as I am gleening that it is industry standard. But most people of a certain age learned the "two spaces after end punctuation rule" in junior high school at a time when computers where still a bit of a novelty, from typing teachers who themselves had learned to type on typewriters. For people on typewriters, the two-space rule was the norm, and it will take a while longer still for the one-space rule to be followed implicitly everywhere at all times by all people regardless of typesetting knowhow.
Yeah, exactly. I was TAUGHT two spaces after a period. It wasn't until recently that I was helping somebody in College (God help him) with some memo formatting test did I learn that the new norm was only one space. THAT is going to be a hard habit to break.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

Yeah, Mrs. Lovelidge taught us two spaces after a period too. But I had to unlearn that habit for work.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

Hoblit wrote:
15-16 puzzle wrote:
c hack wrote: Damn, you guys are arguing this like it's a matter of opinion. Pick up a fucking book, look how many spaces there are after the period.

http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... ter+period
Ironically enough, in the first link that Google found, Bill Hill wrote:Bill Hill gives his opinion on why you only put one space after a period.
Seriously though, next time I typeset a book, I'll be sure to follow the "one space after end punctuation" rule, as I am gleening that it is industry standard. But most people of a certain age learned the "two spaces after end punctuation rule" in junior high school at a time when computers where still a bit of a novelty, from typing teachers who themselves had learned to type on typewriters. For people on typewriters, the two-space rule was the norm, and it will take a while longer still for the one-space rule to be followed implicitly everywhere at all times by all people regardless of typesetting knowhow.
Yeah, exactly. I was TAUGHT two spaces after a period. It wasn't until recently that I was helping somebody in College (God help him) with some memo formatting test did I learn that the new norm was only one space. THAT is going to be a hard habit to break.
I'm guilty. Also always put two spaces after a period, but this is what they taught me in high school typing class. When did this change?
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

According to a quick google search, it's an on-going debate. Who knew we touched upon such a hotbed?
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

15-16 puzzle wrote:Are you seeing the three spaces show up in your posts?

Well damn it all to hell.
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Well isn't that interesting? The board seems to fix extra spaces. It's spacial censorship!!!
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Yeah, I was taught two spaces too. Then in college someone was like, "One space. Just look at any book. Two spaces is for high school." And I was like "Sonfoabitch, you're right."
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

" " " " muhahahahaha." " " " Three spaces !!!" " " " Three spaces" " " "....

Ok. I'm working on an incredibly difficult submission right now, and I need the occasional diversion before my brain melts. I find it humourous that I am responisible for submitting written arguments to government agencies as a component of my job (and, ironically, I'm usually successful) yet my grammar and spelling sucks mint candies.

And this is the world we live in, where wars are started over how many spaces one is allowed to place after a period." " " ".

I wish I could stream all four fights at once...

Now I wonder if the people who have to read my arguments at the Board mock my grammar.... oh well, .... so they can mock it, but at least the content still brings VICTORY!!!!

...although, to be fair, this particular battle has been going on since May 2003, so I can't claim this particular victory just yet....as no decision can be made until this June.... .
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

I<font color=white>....</font> think<font color=white>....</font> Leaf<font color=white>....</font>is<font color=white>....</font>losing<font color=white>....</font>it<font color=white>....</font>.
Fried
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Fried »

I love the internet. Take one person stating a fact about grammar and one internet message board and a new episode of Seinfeld is born. Next topic, “Crust is on the outside of bread.”
I'm Fried BIOTCH!
http://www.friedband.com
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

c hack wrote:Yeah, I was taught two spaces too. Then in college someone was like, "One space. Just look at any book. Two spaces is for high school." And I was like "Sonfoabitch, you're right."
I can't help it though C. Hack, I can't stop punching two spaces after a period or a colon. I just can't. I'm just thankful that the forum allows me to be periodically *groan* correct in my posts. Thanks SF forum. Thanks.
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Niveous wrote:I<font color=white>....</font> think<font color=white>....</font> Leaf<font color=white>....</font>is<font color=white>....</font>losing<font color=white>....</font>it<font color=white>....</font>.
You are damn clever.

And correct in your assumption. How often does one start a busy and trying day with a phone call complaining about Leaf not taking the garbage out to the curb? Good God, how much more suburban can one get?

Granted, our "curb" is a half a kilometer from out house, but in my defense, I NEVER take out the garbage. Not once in our 11 years together. I do , however return the cans to the house at the end of the day. This is what we call "the trade off", however, there seems to be this phenomenon where the... ok, now I'm getting off topic, even for me. SPACE SPACE SPACE. muahahaheheh...... BBBUUUZZZZZ...!!> >! ...

Damn you Johnny!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I read some stuff yesterday about two vs one spaces being related to monospace vs. proportional fonts. but i've also realized i just don't care that much. i still put two, yeah, whatever.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

On a related note...

Is it four dots or three for the ellipses thingies?

I... don't.... know.

:/

I keep seeing people type it with four, and then I get all confused.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

Bjam wrote:On a related note...

Is it four dots or three for the ellipses thingies?

I... don't.... know.
Three dots is elipsis. Four is elipsis followed by a full stop.

Three means you're missing something out, or at the end of a sentence leaving something hanging and unsaid, leaving it to someone else to fill in the last bit if they want. Four means you're leaving it unsaid and want it to stay unsaid.

Five is just stupid.
Last edited by Kapitano on Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

Kapitano wrote: Five is just stupid.
No, five is right out.

/monty python geeking