Happy Christmistlolidays

Go ahead, get it off your chest.
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Henrietta wrote:I guess I should just keep a low profile, say "Have a nice day", and hope for the best.....
When I was at the mall on Sunday, not a single one of the store clerks said anything holiday-ish to me; it was all "have a nice day" and nothing else. I think these assholes have made an impact - they've convinced people to not mention the holiday season at all. Good work, jerks.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

I would totally buy the book that goes through history and shows exactly the moments when people load the cartridge that ends up eventually shooting their own foot.
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Like the frickin' NYC transit workers' union who have shut much of NYC down today and will have hefty fines to pay and perhaps loose their jobs because they want to retire at 55 and pay nothing for insurance. I have either a 3 hour walk ahead of me or another $40 cab ride...my three hours are worth a lot more than $40. So I'll take another $40 Holiday cab ride.

Have a nice day indeed.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

That's why I like after Christmas, you can just say "Happy New Years".

(But then, I <3 the holidays as I don't have work again until January 9th. Woo!)
Songfighter since back in the day.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Well, you know, unless the person is Chinese...
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

You just can't win!!! Damn all the holidays!!! We should start out own holiday like Songfightmazaakuh, or something.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Spud wrote:Well, you know, unless the person is Chinese...
Or Jewish.
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

roymond wrote:
Spud wrote:Well, you know, unless the person is Chinese...
Or Jewish.
Or Muslim. (unless I'm just missing something here)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

roymond wrote:Like the frickin' NYC transit workers' union who have shut much of NYC down today and will have hefty fines to pay and perhaps loose their jobs because they want to retire at 55 and pay nothing for insurance. I have either a 3 hour walk ahead of me or another $40 cab ride...my three hours are worth a lot more than $40. So I'll take another $40 Holiday cab ride.

Have a nice day indeed.
I was just reading about this. Doesn't this really...if you boil it down...amount to out right embezzlement? Give us what we want and we'll keep your city running. 'wouldn't want anything to happen now would we?' type dealeo. Borderline mafioso tactics. Hmmm, never would have thought the two similar...unions, mafiaso. *shrugs

They are asking for more than anyone is entitled to just because others are getting it. It may not be fair...other city workers may be getting a better deal...but to just shut down key points of the city...well, there is something very wrong with that. Thats muscle, not barter.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

I shouldn't be able to type right now 'cause my head just exploded.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

That poll classifies me as So-So Ho-Ho. But it consoles me by saying "at least you are trying".

CNN is usually pretty dependable if you're looking for unscientific polls, but this one is the crown jewel of 2005, I think.

Also: Happy everything. Thursday the 22nd I start vacation from my day job, and I don't go back until January 3.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

Niveous wrote:You just can't win!!! Damn all the holidays!!! We should start out own holiday like Songfightmazaakuh, or something.
I'll get the boss to give me the day off for my Songfightmazzaakuh holiday.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Hoblit wrote:Give us what we want and we'll keep your _______ running. 'wouldn't want anything to happen now would we?' type dealeo.
Ummm, that describes every single strike ever. It's not embezzlement (or blackmail even), it's just the nature of a strike. Airline workers strike, we can't travel. Teachers strike, kids can't go to school. Writers strike, no new TV shows. The whole point of every strike is to shut things down and fuck shit up, so that people will see how important your job is and give you what you want.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

erikb wrote:
Hoblit wrote:Give us what we want and we'll keep your _______ running. 'wouldn't want anything to happen now would we?' type dealeo.
Ummm, that describes every single strike ever. It's not embezzlement (or blackmail even), it's just the nature of a strike. Airline workers strike, we can't travel. Teachers strike, kids can't go to school. Writers strike, no new TV shows. The whole point of every strike is to shut things down and fuck shit up, so that people will see how important your job is and give you what you want.
no, this is different. Read.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

well, i think like erik said, the intention is the same, just in this case illegal, and really bad karma for the transit workers.
Last edited by jack on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi!
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

hoblit wrote:Doesn't this really...if you boil it down...amount to out right embezzlement?
Sometimes the only way for a group to have their legitimate gripes acted on is through 'civil disobedience'. Call it that, but anything else is a stretch.

In the not too distant past unions were the only things that gave workers any power whatsoever over companies that offered poor working conditions (especially when government did nothing to regulate such things). I think we'd all agree that such civil disobedience is warranted.

In this case, it is illegal for these workers to strike, and because their civil disobedience involves breaking the law they are being fined $1 million a day.

How any act of disobedience finds root and acheives some objective or just fails is game theory. I've learned from our role models in the administration that it's not what you're entitled to, it's what you *claim* you're entitled to and whether or not you have enough pretext to get it.

(BTW Hoblit have I mentioned that I like the fact that you have complex opinions that aren't the songfight norm and that you aren't afraid to stand up for them? Just thought I'd mention that.)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

I'm not arguing whether or not Unions should have ever been formed. They were formed for legitimate causes. The government would, shall we say, 'let thigs go'. It's GOOD to have something policing government policy. No doubt.

But can we not see that in doing so, that another power for that cause could become corrupt?

I mean, teachers protesting...sure... some kids miss some school. Do they not DESERVE better treatment. Whether or not they are in NYC or Tampa, or freakin' El Paso? FIGHT. If it's a worthy cause, all isn 't lost if some kids miss a week of school. I mean, garbage disposer by way of city funds...sure...the garbage doesn't get taken out for a few weeks. Yes, it's gross...god darned... we have to deal with them. The garbage needs to go out. Ok, we'll compromise....the garbage piles up, but it gets taken out.

These people are MUSCLING for better benifits than you and I are/will ever get. There is a huge difference in protesting injustice, and bartering for more than deserved. A HUGE difference. I mean, for Christ sakes, how many of you are INSISTING on government finance to RETIRE...RETIRE 10 effing years before most other standardized benifits ALLOW. Lets not forget that they CHOOSE to live in NYC. And now we are to expect that we, under their conditions, virtually holding a city of 7+ million hostage, give IN to their DEMANDS? (as a union).

I don't know what ya'll do for a living out there. You could all be rich EM EF's or poor college students for all I know. However, even at my best I could not have ever expected what they are DEMANDING (NOT ASKING) for at any time. Even in my hayday I paid for insurance and co-pay and just over 30,000 was doing JUS FRICKIN' fine. I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for their 40 + and what not. EVEN with the difference in cost of living.

Anybody who holds a city hostage for more than *I* (and others will agree) think that they deserve is pure embezzlement. (BLACKMAIL if you wanna call it that)

Just because others have it better does not mean you are owed. If that were the case then people who sit on their ass in A/C for a living and make 50+ should just be shot while others who scrape by with manual labor should just be awarded thousands of dollars because that would be considered 'fair'. We all know better than this.

Supply and demand works until somebody gets too much power. Then demand becomes embezzlement. Of course, as liberals??? does this only occur when OIL is the subject? No, apparently not. Transportaion in NYC has nothing to do with THAT. Wait...all of a sudden it does.

*TAXI!
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Hoblit wrote:no, this is different. Read.
I can read, but I can't read minds. If you want me to believe this strike is different from others, you'll have to type the reason on your keyboard. I've already said how they're the same: all strikes involve inconveniencing people as a means to force the opposition to comply. You haven't said how this strike is different.

Yes, this strike is against the law. That really means nothing to me and doesn't affect the fundamental way in which all strikes are the same.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Hoblit wrote:I mean, teachers protesting...sure... some kids miss some school. Do they not DESERVE better treatment. Whether or not they are in NYC or Tampa, or freakin' El Paso? FIGHT. If it's a worthy cause, all isn 't lost if some kids miss a week of school. I mean, garbage disposer by way of city funds...sure...the garbage doesn't get taken out for a few weeks. Yes, it's gross...god darned... we have to deal with them. The garbage needs to go out. Ok, we'll compromise....the garbage piles up, but it gets taken out.

These people are MUSCLING for better benifits than you and I are/will ever get. There is a huge difference in protesting injustice, and bartering for more than deserved. A HUGE difference.
I would bet that the NYC teachers union has propositioned sweeter deals for its members than you will ever get. They muscle for shit that is undeserved just as much as any other union. They rewrote their contracts about 10 years ago to "eat their young", that is to shift all of the sweet benefits to teachers who have been teaching for forever, and giving nothing at all to new teachers fresh out the gate. I know a dude who retired (before 65) from teaching in NYC, and he's pulling in over 75,000 a year, just from his retirement. The teachers' union used their muscle to get that sweet deal for him.
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Hoblit wrote:Supply and demand works until somebody gets too much power. Then demand becomes embezzlement. Of course, as liberals??? does this only occur when OIL is the subject?
Well first a semantic point: of embezzlement, blackmail, and extortion, the most accurate claim you could've made would be extortion. Embezzlement and blackmail are completely unrelated (embezzlement being a misappropriation of money already entrusted to a person or entity, and blackmail being a specific case of extortion using the threat of negative information).

Second, labor strikes do not follow the law of supply and demand for the main reason that labor unions have a virtual monopoly on labor and can choose to strike at any point. Therefore the supply of skilled labor carries artificial restrictions that those in demand must accept or reject. In a vacuum this dynamic would give unions almost unlimited power. Call it extortion or civil disobedience or call it the basic human drive to get the most we can get, it doesn't change the fact that this is the way the game is played. All I'm trying to do is get people to look at this from a basic game theory view of things.

If you disagree with striking on the basis of the fact that it can disable a city you have to find ways to change the rules of the game. One can legislate methods of altering this playing field, as was already on the books in NY - these guys are getting fined $1,000,000 a day for striking because they're breaking the law. My understanding is that it is illegal for government employees to go on strike. I think that in itself will hasten the demise of any unworthy gripe (and perhaps some worthy ones in the course of history), and this fine alone tells me that they're not nearly powerful enough to hold the city hostage, merely cause it some hiccups in the grand scheme.

Thirdly, the bit about liberals and oil is a complete straw-man. The problem people have with oil isn't the law of supply and demand. It's the fact that those in control of the resource have a relative monopoly over it and can exact higher prices than they 'deserve' (according to S&D). Supply and demand breaks down under the influence of monopolies. However, I think you're right that it is similar in analogy to say that unions have a relative monopoly on labor and that allows them to excise greater benefits than they otherwise would.

But while 'liberals' (although I think all Americans have a problem with who controls gas prices) grumble about energy monopolies, and you grumble about labor extortion, our government has refused to act in the former case while levying stiff fines on strikers in the latter. If the government believes it should restrian itself from interfering in market forces, then why has it in this particular case? I suggest that it has done so because regulating markets (including the labor market) is not necessarily a bad thing. Insomuch as regulations preserve the liberty of the market by preventing internal structures from gathering too much influence (whether they be monopolies or overly powerful unions), regulation is necessary to the health of an economy.

Maybe it's time 'conservatives' got on board with us 'liberals' and did something about intelligently regulating other markets as well. (How's that for a counter straw man!)
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher

Post by Hoblit »

yes, I'm sorry..I meant extortion not embezzlement.

And you're right, I was only comparing the power not the product in my analogy.

It would be a fine day to see the conservitaves and liberals on the same page on just about anything. Those days seem to be fading fast.
posyden
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by posyden »

I think that christians need to realize that they arent the only religion in the world.....

Sure seeing "Merry Christmas" in stores may make them feel good
but I don't think the Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, ect. population would like that very much

so too avoid this they say "Happy Holidays"

so that every religion knows that the store wants you to be happy....

Take Wal-Mart for example...they don't have a "Merry Christmas" sign...but they have a bunch of christmas decorations in their "Holiday" section...and yes the signs do say "Christmas Trees" or "Christmas Lights"

besides, Holidays could mean Christmas and New Years too...

with that in mind

Christians...grow the fuck up and learn to deal with the fact that you're religion isn't the only one in exsistence

(btw...before people start accusing me of being anti-christian or Jewish or something else.....I refuse to commit fully towards any belief and I respect everyones right to their own beliefs and opinions so please respect mine the same way)