Song Fight Forum Update, opinions wanted

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Song Fight Forum Update, opinions wanted

Post by JonPorobil »

jb wrote:1 - I actually think PHPBB has done ok for us in this regard. A few outbreaks that we are able to snuff? Seems "reasonable" in this day and age.
2 - That's probably my fault for coding the BBCode weirdly. I'm probably not going to change it.
3 - FYI any change to another system will mean FEWER themes. PHPBB is the theme-obsessed forum software, not the rest of them.
4 - Yeah we've said these would be nice already
5 - This was just to have a number 5, right ;)
Nah, I just wanted to include some kind of "x factor" to incorporate the things that I don't even realize I haven't thought about.

Thanks for the transparency on those, though.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jast
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Vocals, guitar
Recording Method: Cubase, Steinberg UR44
Submitting as: Jan Krueger
Pronouns: .

Post by jast »

PHP...

One commercial solution I've seen in use that is quite nice is xenforo.
One open source solution that looked decent at first and second glance is MyBB, though I don't know how active those guys are.
Manhattan Glutton
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Angst
Recording Method: REAPER

Post by Manhattan Glutton »

fluffy wrote:Sorry, it must have fallen out of the ticket queue that is totally a thing that exists.
Not your fault. I'm just sayin', the bar of difficulty of volunteering is at "project management" which isn't really my thing. Maybe someone can volunteer to harass us all so that we can actually cause things to happen.
fluffy
Eruption
Instruments: sometimes
Recording Method: Logic Pro X
Submitting as: Sockpuppet
Pronouns: she/they

Post by fluffy »

jast wrote:PHP...

One commercial solution I've seen in use that is quite nice is xenforo.
One open source solution that looked decent at first and second glance is MyBB, though I don't know how active those guys are.
I can take or leave PHP (and would rather leave it), but the main requirement is that it must be hostable either as PHP or a CGI/FastCGI to keep it DreamHost-compatible. Or if it's Ruby on Rails it can be fine as long as it doesn't do anything crazy with its backing store.

Like, Ruby on Rails using sqlite or mysql (likely via a relational ORM) is perfectly fine. Ruby on Rails using Redis is a no-go.

Incidentally, the Passenger website now indicates that the current version (Phusion) supports Python ([s]Twisted? Flask? the built-in HTTPServer class? all of the above?[/s] wsgi, which should in theory work with any reasonable servelet framework) and Node.JS as well, so that's interesting if DreamHost ever updates to Phusion. I wonder how it compares to a reverse-proxied servelet... probably easier to configure but I'd expect it to take more system resources.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

All of this stuff is like trying to record music on Linux.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Yeah it's kind of annoying. I do miss the classic CGI model for ease of development and deployment, but it doesn't scale particularly well and exposes a fuckton of security issues, and it limits you to stateless HTTP (which doesn't matter for forums but that means no support for XMPP, WebSockets, etc.).

Reading more, I'm not sure what Passenger gives you that mod_proxy doesn't. Maybe better cross-worker connection pooling or something.
fluffy
Eruption

Post by fluffy »

Hm, at a glance, MyBB looks pretty promising. It supports phpBB import, has an actual plugin system, and a few other things that make me think I'll try playing with it at some point.