hey listen to my new song (thread)

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
Damien Verrett (Jonas)
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Re: hey listen to my new song (thread)

Post by Damien Verrett (Jonas) »

So my band recorded five new songs fairly recently at a local studio. I'd be very grateful to hear what Song Fight has to say about them.

www.myspace.com/thespeedofsoundinseawater

I played guitar, bass, and sang on the recordings, plus I play trombone for a brief moment in one of the songs.

Thanks for your time!
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Jon Eric's One Would Hope is a very pleasant experience. Sweet, with a bit of salt, honestly delivered and bringing out the sunshine. Send him a couple of clams and also enjoy the wonderful Teplin cover art. Nice little record there, Jon Eric!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Paco Del Stinko wrote:Jon Eric's One Would Hope is a very pleasant experience. Sweet, with a bit of salt, honestly delivered and bringing out the sunshine. Send him a couple of clams and also enjoy the wonderful Teplin cover art. Nice little record there, Jon Eric!
Well, gosh, Paco, yer makin' me blush!

If our paths ever happen to cross in person, remind me to number your copy, because I forgot to do so when I signed it. You got one of the limited-edition error printings. :wink:
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Well, there's certainly something right about me and flaws being linked together. Like milk and cereal, or something. :roll: Great disc, I was familiar with three of the four songs. It always sounds like you enjoy signing. Again, nice work!
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
deetak
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Submitting as: deetak

Post by deetak »

Thanks for the comments 2dogs and Whitehat - here's a new small song I did called "on the on the way out"

mp3: http://tinyurl.com/deetakonthewayout

lyrics: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfxjzmsv_37dhcc9ddb
Last edited by deetak on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Great stuff as always deetak! You need to release an album, so I can buy my very own deetak album.
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Teplin
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Bowed guitar and an excess of reverb
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: Howl Down the Chimney, Humboat, Make Spoons Not Knives

Post by Teplin »

I think you've really outdone yourself this time, deetak. All the layered vocals sound better than ever, great sounding guitar, interesting chords, that subtle keyboard flute coming in. Two nitpicks. The end cuts off too abruptly, before the last chords finishes ringing out. And, I wish you could track down and eliminate the buzz from your studio... It's loud enough to be annoying and keep the track from sounding professional at the beginning and at the end. Very minor issues, though. This is the best thing I've heard recently, and it's going in my permanent collection.
deetak
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by deetak »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll let you know Ujn if there is ever an album.

Teplin: I edited my post with a new link that has a "fixed ending" that doesn't cut off like the previous version. re: buzz - I will try to take care of it (get a new mic/interface maybe)
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Teplin wrote:I think you've really outdone yourself this time, deetak. All the layered vocals sound better than ever, great sounding guitar, interesting chords, that subtle keyboard flute coming in.
In concur; this is far and away my favorite deetak song yet. Keep it up, man, and let me know when an album comes out!

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
signboy
Mean Street
Instruments: things that make noise
Recording Method: lots of stuff plugged into lots of other stuff

Post by signboy »

dayam, Deetak, that kicks ass!
Irwin: I'd sell my soul to jesus to program drums like signboy.
2dogs
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: vocals, sax, guitar, keys, harmonica
Recording Method: Logic Pro 8, iMac, motu 828, Art Pro VL2, Studio Project C3
Submitting as: 2dogs, The Incredible Unknown

Post by 2dogs »

Deetak, this was phenomenal guitar. I still think you could use your signature vocals and let that voice of yours loose. It might scare you brother. I think there's some powerful vocals in there.

Great job and thanks for sharing it with us.

I slapped a new one together this weekend called "Gonna Mend My Heart". (This is a draft but I'm hoping that recording in proper studio will sound better) One song at a time I'm getting closer to my album :)

Cheers

www.myspace.com/incredibleunknown
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale
Pronouns: he/him

Post by rone rivendale »

Hey guys! I don't usually post about songs I make outside of SF until I have a full album to shill (cha ching) but I did a song today that I am really proud of and I would love to hear some comments.

You can find it at http://www.myspace.com/mikebushmusic It's the 1st song on the list entitled "Step On Me".
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
Mike Lamb
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Bass, Guitar, Tin Whistle
Recording Method: Reason
Submitting as: Mike Lamb|The Nutwalls|Kasper|The Narcaloungers|Die Toten Schlaghosen|IRCUSM

Post by Mike Lamb »

Rone, it's cool to hear something new and improved from you! The chorus is great! This is definitely your best song ever. I would suggest panning the vocal into the middle of the mix and maybe adding a little reverb; it's way over in the left channel and it's a little distracting. You really really need a pop filter. It sounds like you're holding the mic in your hand? Invest in a mic stand and a cheap pop filter, you can make one out of a coathanger and pantyhose if you need to, it really helps with reducing the "static" you get from the "P" when you sing "support".

Great job!
"Admittedly, I did not know what to expect with Kasper, but they, I think, just rocked our collective socks off." - GlennCase
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

[some redundancy with Mike Lamb's comments, but whatever]

Okay, so. First of all, you picked a key for once. That's a huge bonus right there, but then there's that chorus hook, and the synth plays the main melody line, and your voice follows it. That's a pretty simple trick, but it gives the song grounding, it helps you sing on-key, and gives it a quality I'm not sure I've ever heard in a Rone track before: catchiness. I think I'm going to have that chorus melody stuck in my head for a little while!

So yes. More of that, please.

It's not all good, though. Are you still using that Rock Band mic? Your vocals still pop like crazy on certain consonants. A pop filter might help, but barring that, trying wrapping your mic in a sock or two. Also, in the bass-heavy verses, you're still off-key. Try recording a synth line like you did in the chorus, and sing along to that - you can cut it out of the final track, but it often helps to have something to follow when you record vocals.

rone rivendale
Odie

Post by rone rivendale »

Thanks Mike and Jon. I thought this one was pretty special too. Appreciate the comments. Little confused thought about one thing you said Mike.
I would suggest panning the vocal into the middle of the mix and maybe adding a little reverb; it's way over in the left channel and it's a little distracting.
I panned the vox because I was told a few times in the past that having all the tracks in the middle made it sound muddled. This is the 1st time I've ever messed with the panning of my song. I thought it made the lyrics alot easier to hear.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

right idea, rone, just wrong execution. leave the vox in the middle. pan the other stuff out of the way.
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

deetak wrote:Thanks for the comments 2dogs and Whitehat - here's a new small song I did called "on the on the way out"

mp3: http://tinyurl.com/deetakonthewayout
Sweet. What everyone else said. Great layered textures and appropriate setting for your cool detached lyrics. I like it!
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

I've put up three new tracks on my website today, perhaps the most pertinent being a cover of The Nutwalls' "Crossroads."

Irwin and Mike Lamb seemed to enjoy it, so I hope you all do to!

Also, are fightmasters still accepting and hosting Hxaro songs, and if so, does this count?

rone rivendale
Odie

Post by rone rivendale »

Hey, I said I liked it too in IRC. *goes all emo and stuff*
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

Rone Rivendale wrote:Hey, I said I liked it too in IRC. *goes all emo and stuff*
Fair enough, but you're not the original artist. :P

deetak
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by deetak »

Thanks Generic, Signboy, 2dogs (I'll give you a suggestion a try one day), Roymond.

2dogs: Your singing sounds much improved on that song, from what I remember of your first entry to Songfight that I heard.

Rone: That song has the most melodic section of any song I've heard by you.

Generic: "We Keep Them Alive" I still remember the catchy melody to from when it was first released here. I like "St. Expedite" because I haven't heard that sort of mood in the song in your others.
JonPorobil
Beat It

Post by JonPorobil »

deetak wrote: Generic: "We Keep Them Alive" I still remember the catchy melody to from when it was first released here. I like "St. Expedite" because I haven't heard that sort of mood in the song in your others.
Hey thanks! I remember being very proud of "We Keep Them Alive" when I first finished it, and less so as the week went on. In the end, it only got one vote - I think it was Steve's. The rerecording addresses most of the flaws, I believe, and I'm happy with it again. Looking forward to hearing Steve's reaction to it.

Also thanks for listening to the ones I didn't advertise! If you don't mind, could you elaborate a little more on what you mean about the "mood" of "St. Expedite?" It's a re-recording of an older song, but I didn't think the mood was particularly different from other stuff I've been doing lately.