Pet Peeves

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

obscurity wrote:People
Kapitano
Push Comes to Shove
Recording Method: Reason, Reaper and Reused Reality.
Submitting as: Kapitano

Post by Kapitano »

People who say 'Methodology' when they mean 'Method'.
People who say 'Deconstruct' when they mean 'Analyse'.
People who say 'Recontextualise' when they mean 'Attack'.
People who say 'Metaphysical' when they mean 'Mystical'.
People who say 'Cynical' when they mean 'Skeptical'.
People who say 'Infer' when they mean 'Imply'.
People who say 'Theorize' when they mean 'Hypothesize'.

I'm not sure which is worse. People who don't know what these words mean but pretend they do, or people who think not knowing what they mean makes them 'down to earth'.
<a href="http://kapitano.me.uk/">Kapitano's Site of Musical Stuff (Under Construction)</a>
Rabid Garfunkel
Jump
Instruments: Absurdity
Recording Method: iPhone, GarageBand & rando apps/toys
Submitting as: OZYMANDIPUS, Rabid Garfunkel, Primitive Screwheads
Pronouns: that guy

Post by Rabid Garfunkel »

c hack wrote:Cooking yourself is more expensive than buying crappy pre-made meals at the grocery store. Sucks that it's like that, but it is.
Meant more the cottage industry of Low-Carb stores that sell branded consumables (Atkins and otherwise) to people for an outrageous mark-up, and actively work to convince the diet-hopping public that they can't do it for themselves, the cooking and preparing and such.

Oh, and good one, leafy, you beat me to it.
c hack wrote:I love Neuman products. They're good for you, they taste great, and he's all up with the charities and environmental stuff.
Agreed. But, heh, I'm just paranoid. One of my first nearly complete songs (written to cheer up a pal in the hospital) is about this. And if you're masochistic, it's titled Paul Newman #2 here.
"Urban cartoon music." -- Paco Del Stinko
Be my friend? --- Song of the Day
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

when people type "teh" instead of "the" on purpose.

when people type words like "roxxorz" and other internet only words.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

fodroy wrote:when people type "teh" instead of "the" on purpose.

"I am teh roxxorz" must really piss you off then...
Songfighter since back in the day.
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Yeah, it's somewhat unfortunate for you that I am in fact teh r0x0rz, teh funny, and I 0wn j0rz sh1zn1tch wiht my m4d 1337 sk1llz. Holla.
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
fodroy
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: none
Recording Method: ears
Submitting as: praise muzak

Post by fodroy »

Bjam wrote:
fodroy wrote:when people type "teh" instead of "the" on purpose.

"I am teh roxxorz" must really piss you off then...
more than words can describe.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

People who use the phrase "What happens in X, stays in X". It's barely tolerable if you are a mobster in a crappy detective novel set in the 40s and you're talking about Las Vegas. If you don't kill people and dispose of the bodies, you really don't need to be using the phrase.
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
the Jazz wrote:According to Jewish law I'm supposed to have my head covered all the time. But I've never seen a Hasidic Jew get worked up over a non-Jew who doesn't have a hat.
I think that's because Jewish law is for Jewish people.
Well DUH. My point was that some people believe some things are rude, and some people believe other things are rude. What's rude about someone else wearing a hat indoors, when you have no idea whether they're trying to be rude or just wearing a hat they like?
Let cake eat them.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

15-16 puzzle wrote:People who use the phrase "What happens in X, stays in X". It's barely tolerable if you are a mobster in a crappy detective novel set in the 40s and you're talking about Las Vegas. If you don't kill people and dispose of the bodies, you really don't need to be using the phrase.
You've never been on an end-of-season trip away with a rugby team, have you?
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

the Jazz wrote:My point was that some people believe some things are rude, and some people believe other things are rude. What's rude about someone else wearing a hat indoors, when you have no idea whether they're trying to be rude or just wearing a hat they like?
Did someone in this thread say that indoor-hat-wearing was rude. I think someone just said that other people doing it was a pet peeve of theirs.
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Caravan Ray wrote:You've never been on an end-of-season trip away with a rugby team, have you?
Dude, what happens on end-of-season trips with rugby teams STAYS on end-of-season trips with rugby teams.
Bell Green
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Bell Green »

More . . .

Parents who won't keep their children under control.

The expression "It's good for you".

Nicole Kidman. She was good in "The Others" but other than that she grips my shit. My wife really likes her, so I have to grin and bear it while we watch Nicole Kidman.

"Are we keeping you up". Is yawning a crime or a social faux pas?

Two mobile phones. WTF?

Hoarders.

PC's with overfull desktops.

My vet, Mr. Rogers, never looks in the eye when he talks to you, but he seems to have improved over the past year.

People like my friend Alan(amongst others), who amassed huge amounts of audio gear and then just waits till the next upgrade comes out. I have to go and wire it all up of course, and drool. But is he going to use it? Oh no no no.

People like my uncle who leaves the plastic covers on things, like loudspeakers and sofas.

Tool abusers. That really rubs me up the wrong way. A screwdriver is a screwdriver and not a chisel.

People like my friend David who will use the nearest bit of paper to write a phone message. Usually it's an original copy of an important document. Either that or a piece of junkmail, which I throw out. I ask for the number, (a potential client) and where is it? Nowhere to be found. So annoying.

People who won't put the lids (screwtops) on jars back properly. David does this and so does my wife. Would that be worth going to jail for?

Laced up shoes that get used like a slipper. What was the point of the laces?

People waiting in queues for a nightclub in the dead of winter with just a t-shirt. Cloakroom tickets are fairly cheap. Look, tell you what, I'll give you the money. Looking at you just makes me cold.

People who say "Pardon me" after they fart or burp, when I hadn't even heard them or the noise hadn't caused any offence.

Back seat mixers. They stand behind you and give you "great" advice. So look, here's the chair, here's the play button and rewind, here are the faders. YOU FUCKING DO IT!

MIF. Milk in first. I know how much milk I want, not you.

"You'll have someone's eye out with that".

Pedestrians that look you up and down as you pass. Yes, I do look like someone who might split your head with an axe or inject you with hydrochloric acid.

Tiny products that come in huge packaging. Like software CD's.

I'm peeved with being peeved. That's enough.
so . . . when was the last time you backed up?
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Bell Green wrote:Tool abusers. That really rubs me up the wrong way.

Not much more to say then that....
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Bell Green wrote: People who say "Pardon me" after they fart or burp, when I hadn't even heard them or the noise hadn't caused any offence.
Is it better if they fart, hoping you don't notice, but you do?
:)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

Bell Green wrote: Rant..rant...rant

...Nurse, I think it's time for Mr Green's medication...

I think I fit everything on the list - I must be your arch-nemisis - the Lex Luther to your Superman, or maybe the Shane Warne to your Mike Gatting.
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

Here's a pet peeve: When ever people win something, they assume they were "right". Winning and being "right" are not the same thing.

For example, that Malcolm in the Middle episode (yeah yeah cross posting ...another pet peeve I'm sure) anyway, Lois gets pulled over for "cutting" off a volvo, and after the entire family convinces her she was wrong, and that she actually did cut the guy off, the find out that he did a u-turn behind her, and that the cop was wrong, not Lois. They don't tell her, cause they are tired of her always being right... however, the moral is, winning the fight doesn't make you right. It just makes you the winner.

...election results anyone?
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

obscurity wrote:people who laugh at their own jokes before they've got to the punch-line, and are too busy cracking up to finish the joke.
and invariably, when they finally DO reach the end, it's totally not funny at all to you.
15-16 puzzle wrote:People who use the phrase "What happens in X, stays in X".
funny, we were discussing this in IRC recently, and you should hear some of the things they were saying about you in there!
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote:Here's a pet peeve: When ever people win something, they assume they were "right". Winning and being "right" are not the same thing.

For example, that Malcolm in the Middle episode (yeah yeah cross posting ...another pet peeve I'm sure) anyway, Lois gets pulled over for "cutting" off a volvo, and after the entire family convinces her she was wrong, and that she actually did cut the guy off, the find out that he did a u-turn behind her, and that the cop was wrong, not Lois. They don't tell her, cause they are tired of her always being right... however, the moral is, winning the fight doesn't make you right. It just makes you the winner.
Yeah, but she was right ....
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

Exactly. But she didn't win. So I guess it begs the question... what's more important, winning an argument, or being right?

I guess BOTH would be ideal...but that's not an option damnit!!

....hmmm another pet peeve, rather new:

debunking great internet hoaxes that made my day....
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Deal!
:lol:
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Leaf wrote: winning an argument, or being right?..
This is tautology, imo. If you are able to convince yourself logically that you are right, you have won the argument, even if the people with whom you are having the argument don't agree.

The Lois Dilemma (as I hope it will know become known :) is that she never finds out she was right, so there is no chance for her to learn why her family don't want her to know. No-one wins.