The Gift of Music (SF's Holiday Cover Challenge)

Discuss the many little competitions/projects that spring up amongst the Song Fight community.
drë
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

jack shite wrote:
dre wrote:Heather you list now looks like this...
Heather. Redmon. wrote:now its like this
The Screwed
Dre ?? :(
this one is for Dre.

Toad the Wet Sprocket's "Somethings Always Wrong"
sir, you have made my day. its also fair to say you have shite the song, with the bongos and the "woooo" sounds good.
thanks.
did you have to capo up to like the 7th fret?
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Post by jack »

he. capo on the fifth. i actually based it on a solo glen phillips version i found online. in the online version, which is live, he fucks up after the first 8 bars and has to start over. so it didn't make a very good guide track. and my version is slowed down. but i've always liked the tune so this was a good excuse.
Hi!
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin
Pronouns: he/him

Post by roymond »

Heather. Redmon. wrote:
Phil. Redmon. wrote:HB- The names of your songs look funny all run together without any punctuation ha ha etcetera
ok .... hahaha... poor june... hahahaha \m/ :roll:

Love! :idea:
Hey! You two...
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Hey, I'm assuming we've been PMing and/or e-mailing the screwers, right? They're all people who haven't been hanging out on the boards much or at all in the last couple of months.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Generic wrote:Hey, I'm assuming we've been PMing and/or e-mailing the screwers, right?
Do you want an email or a PM?
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

jon eric, you know if you just did your damned coverfight song you owe instead of continuing to blow it off, we'd all shut up about it. otherwise, we're never gonna let you live it down.
Hi!
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

We'll try contacting the screwers again but in the meantime I declare right now- the GoM 2.5- the Free For All.

While we wait for the 5 screwers to get their act together, I say we just jump at the chance to pick a song we like from someone else's list and just do it. No PMs. No assignments. Just a bunch more covers to enjoy. So find a tune and get to recording.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

While I'm not involved in this little event, I am jealous of the fact that I neither get screwed or get to be the screwer. This is categorically unfair.

Also, JE... you will earn more respect and regain honour if you do the coverfight, rather than pretending it'll go away.

although, I do enjoy some of the creative burns that get sent your way on this topic... so I am torn on this issue too... does Jon Eric do the coverfight, regain his honour and commitment; or do we get to rag on him for 35 years?

hmmm. Tough choices.
king_arthur
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, vocals, bass, BIAB, keyboards (synth anything)
Recording Method: Tascam DP-24SD
Submitting as: King Arthur

Post by king_arthur »

Here's a belated holiday greeting for our very own Sober Irishman, from King Arthur:

http://www.charleswolff.com/GOM/gom_ka_tsi.mp3

...a version of "Sam Hall" based loosely on the Irish Descendants' a capella version. Also somewhat affected by the fact that I'm struggling with some new equipment here.

TSI and I have been in e-touch about our relative lateness on these... I do not need to be added to the list of the screwed, we're cool...

Charles
"...one does not write in dactylic hexameter purely by accident..." - poetic designs
roymond
Beat It
Instruments: Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Logic
Recording Method: Logic X, MacBookPro, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Submitting as: roymond, Dangerous Croutons, Intentionally Left Bank, Moody Vermin

Post by roymond »

Leaf wrote:or do we get to rag on him for 35 years?
35 YEARS 35 YEARS 35 YEARS
roymond.com | songfights | covers
"Any more chromaticism and you'll have to change your last name to Wagner!" - Frankie Big Face
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

king_arthur wrote:Here's a belated holiday greeting for our very own Sober Irishman, from King Arthur:
i wonder if he'll ever get a really really belated holiday greeting from josh woodward?
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

Thanks to all of you who have volunteered to do a song for one of the screwed!! :!: To make it easier on you, as promised, here are the links to my four songs:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Papa Won't Leave You Henry

Bauhaus Honeymoon Croon

The Smiths Rubber Ring

The Replacements Someone Take the Wheel

I can't wait to hear what you come up with. I'm so excited! :o
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
prayformojo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Vocals, Melodica, Misc. Noisemakers, Etc.
Recording Method: 2 old bean cans and a piece of string
Submitting as: prayformojo, prayformojo and his Good Times Fun Band, The Mojos, etc...

Post by prayformojo »

HeuristicsInc wrote:Public Service Announcement

Calfborg:
"Pass the Dutchie" by Musical Youth
"Crystal" by New Order
"Nothing Better" by The Postal Service
"On Fire" by Lightning Bolt
Ok, so I figure at this point in my tardyness, secrecy is not really a concern. My unfortunate screwed party was the one and only Calfborg. My song is in progress, as I mentioned, but due to a tremendiously busy production schedule for both me and my partner in the cover (6 to 7 day weeks, 12 + hours a day for both of us) it's been slow going. I am working hard to complete it and promise to make things good for the Borg. I do have one little concern now however. The list that I was PMed to me several months ago is almost COMPLETELY different than the list that is posted above. Only one song on the list is the same, and it's not the one I am covering. I'm seriously hoping that the song in progress was a requested song from an updated list, otherwise this'll take even longer. Any guidance?
White people, is you funky?
Calfborg
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Calfborg »

prayformojo wrote:

Calfborg:
"Crystal" by New Order
The list that I was PMed to me several months ago is almost COMPLETELY different than the list that is posted above. Only one song on the list is the same, and it's not the one I am covering. I'm seriously hoping that the song in progress was a requested song from an updated list, otherwise this'll take even longer. Any guidance?
The list above is the first one I made. I revised it later, so you probably received the right one.
"Technology is like living with the eyes of a shark. A shark's eyes have no life in them." - Gary Busey
Calfborg | Jeshimoth
mkilly
Ice Cream Man

Post by mkilly »

Calfborg wrote:
prayformojo wrote:

Calfborg:
"Crystal" by New Order
The list that I was PMed to me several months ago is almost COMPLETELY different than the list that is posted above. Only one song on the list is the same, and it's not the one I am covering. I'm seriously hoping that the song in progress was a requested song from an updated list, otherwise this'll take even longer. Any guidance?
The list above is the first one I made. I revised it later, so you probably received the right one.
Yeah, that was pretty not awesome of you, to have revised your list so many times, and not even having had edited your original post, you just kept making new posts. I mean you did it even after the deadline passed, if I recall.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

so what was the purpose of that last post other than to piss someone off?

STFU :evil:
Hi!
Bolio
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Saxophone, Triangle
Recording Method: "The Golden Age of Cakewalk"
Submitting as: Bolio

Post by Bolio »

HEY HEATHER. REDMON.

It sure was nasty of Santa Claus to forget you this year. Hope this is better than a Lump of Coal !!!

ps. got that winter cold but I think it made my vocals better :!:
I may not know karate, but I know KA-RAZY! -James Brown |Bolio on SoundCloud
c hack
Panama

Post by c hack »

Crap. Well I guess she gets two.

Now I need to own everything Nick Cave has ever recorded.

http://www.c-hack.com/mp3/c-hack_papa.mp3
<a href="http://www.c-hack.com">c-hack.com</a> | <a href="http://www.rootrecords.org">rootrecords.org</a>
Heather. Redmon.
Mean Street
Instruments: Vox
Submitting as: The Hell Yeahs
Pronouns: She/her

Post by Heather. Redmon. »

Wow!!! I got 2 gifts!! :lol:

Bolio- you seem like the perfect guy to cover a Replacements song, being a local and all. It's very fitting that we just had a ton of snow (finally) and you got to sing "back home I guess it's still snowing". I think you did a great job with this guitar based tune on the keyboard, and the winter cold gave your a nice Westerburgian feel. Thank you soooo much! It's wonderful to finally be one of the gifted! :!:

c hack- I'm glad I made a Nick Cave fan out of you! He and the Bad Seeds are one of my absolute favaorite bands of all time. I'm very impressed that you got each and every lyric right, especially since Papa Won't Leave You Henry is so heavy on the lyrics. If you don't own any Nick, I recommend that you start with Henry's Dream and Let Love in and then explore some of the oler stuff. I know they really achieved public awareness with Murder Balads, but I still like the older stuff better. Anyway, back to your cover.... you did a great job! Thanks for the double gift. :o
jack wrote:heather is the hardest working mom on songfight (in addition to being arguably the rockinist chick....).
Listen to our music!
GlennCase
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Yes
Recording Method: Incorrect methods
Submitting as: Glenn Case

Post by GlennCase »

Bolio beat Jack and I to the punch. We were going to record the Replacements track tomorrow. Oh well. I am just glad to see one more screwee get unscrewed, so to speak.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
drë
Ice Cream Man
Recording Method: protools
Submitting as: Andre was here at Midnight

Post by drë »

GlennCase wrote:Bolio beat Jack and I to the punch. We were going to record the Replacements track tomorrow. Oh well. I am just glad to see one more screwee get unscrewed, so to speak.

ROCK!

Glenn (DR FUNK)
Yeah, bolio beat me to the punch as well, I’ve been a long time replacements fan and was looking to into doing the cover. Bolio, is pretty cool how close your cover sounds to the original , even though your songs doesn’t have 1 single guitar track. Well done.

chack, your cover sounds good too, really like the finger picking approach and monotone vocals, compare to the original version. Nick Cave has also done a lot of work with Australian base experiential trio call Dirty three doing vocals for them, which you may wan to check out.
(Remember that one fight were you reviewed cellar door by Dirty One, that was me trying to pull a dirty three sound alike.)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

c hack wrote:Crap. Well I guess she gets two.

Now I need to own everything Nick Cave has ever recorded.

http://www.c-hack.com/mp3/c-hack_papa.mp3
Damn C-Hack - you beat me to it! I was just about to start recording a version of that. (I haven't had a chance to listen to yours yet - bloody dial-up)

Oh well - I'm still feeling in a Nick Cave mood - maybe I'll do a Mercy Seat, or Shivers, or Nick the Stripper