No worries, it's all... (Good Trouble reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Re: No worries, it's all... (Good Trouble reviews)

Post by the panna cotta army »

No good at this but some brief impressions….

My Social Uniform - Straight out the blocks this is very impressive. Everything sounds really tight and sharp. Excellent mix/production. The vocals are probably the star, especially the backing and harmonies but everything - horns, guitars, percussion – it’s all uber slick. There’s a lot of inventive elements in the arrangement and perhaps some that are a bit derivative of stuff like Chic, EWAF, etc. Nevertheless, this is classy and will certainly be getting my vote.

Paco del Stinko - This has a tidy drum beat though it seems a little algorithmic. The mix is good but for me the dynamism is somewhat missing. Everything sounds a bit polite and there’s a one dimensional feel to the song in general. It could of done with some sort of stronger melodic aspect.

Jon Eric – The production is generally pretty good, though there’s a lot of reverb which has a tendency to make things sound a bit muddy here and there. Vocals are nice and I quite like the song – you belt the chorus out. There’s something hesitant or not tight enough about the timing of the vocals or drums in some places though. With the reverby sound and the big chorus this reminds me somewhat of the Mighty Wah/Story of The Blues.

Blonde & Bald – This is great and made me smile a lot. There’s something about the vocal performance that’s on the money – it’s endearingly cute but there’s some bite in there too. Another definite vote, if for nothing else than just for cheering me up.

Sweeney Toad – The lyrics are clever, entertaining and thoughtful. The nasal, snarly delivery of the vocals is too much of a relentless diatribe, like someone poking you in the ribs with a sharp object. I’d have like some more light and shade in the music rather than being all at one level throughout.

Seemanski – The gimmick bookends are cool. The synth beat is great too - big and sparse. The production is tight. I like the sort of Bowie-ness to the double tracked vocals. This is a well put together track and the extended instrumental section with the cleanish guitar solo works well. This’ll be a vote too.

Brown Word & The Big Whine – There’s a kind of Deep Purple vibe to the music that I like though the vocals are more punk especially the chorus which is catchy. Mix is a little muddy (except the vocals) and is perhaps too bass heavy (could be my cheap earbuds) and could do with some clarity. Ending could’ve been sharper.

Sober – I think you complained about someone else’s intro being too long last time out? ;) But other than that small snipe not too much to criticise. The arrangement, production and performances are up to your usual high standard. You handled the big boomy kick drum well in the mix. Vocals have the perfect throaty grit for this track. Odd time signature is nicely unsettling. Has a chunky repetitive plod without ever getting boring. Good song, with excellent story telling lyrics. No brainer vote.

Phew, not even half way through yet…….

Hardmonica – The Jethro Tull-ish flute is a nice though debateable whether a slightly less-is-more approach to it might have been better. Very retro rock sounding harking back to the 70s. Well produced. Once upon a long time ago I might have loved this – I still quite like it now for its nostalgic vibe.

Balance Lost – Short and energetic. I like the new wave feel. The growly Stranglers-like bass is nice as are the split pan guitars. The vocals are possibly a bit too low pitched and I get the feeling they would’ve sounded better with the song transposed to a higher key, or maybe if there was just some greater transition into the chorus.

Lichen Throat - I only just realised the pun in your submission name. This kicks off okay as a plausible 80s synth band (ala Depeche Mode) pastiche. Nice big gated drums, stabby bass, chimey synths, but when your singing comes in it shatters the illusion. I don’t believe vocals always have to be in tune, but I can’t even tell what the melody is that you’re going for. Even if you can’t hold a tune, you could really do with tightening up the timing (scansion?) of your vocals.

JTTJ – Well I love the intros, bridges and the verses. The guitars sound excellent and the arrangement is very cool with some nice touches – e.g. the distant heavily reverbed tinkling piano. Great treated vocals too. However, the chorus? (at 0.54 and 1.09) doesn’t really work for me though with that big throbby bass on an offbeat – feels like the timing goes wrong and the vocal melody get’s a bit wishy-washy too. Interesting and different though.

Max Bombast – Has a nice spikey sound and feel. Another very good production with a sort of modern-glam sound. It all sounds very sharp. Reminds me a bit of bands like Suede perhaps. Excellent vocals. I might perhaps complain that it’s rather short but in a week of 19 songs I’ll button my lip. Yet another definite vote.

Pigfarmer – Not that I’m a particular fan, or listen to his music much but this somehow is what I imagine modern Bob Dylan stuff to sound like. I think you handle the vocals rather well and the doubling/harmonies work. I quite like the song and it’s put together nicely. Maybe the middle eight is a bit throwaway.

Shade & Honey – I can’t say I’m sold on the telephone effect on the vocals. It can be an okay effect used in limited amounts - not sure about throughout the song. That aside, I do like the modern psychedelic vibe of the song along with the slow groove. The slow tremolo guitar is nice and adds to the laid back feel.

Wow (!) Signal – Not sure what to make of this. I guess it’s a sort of modern take on prog-rock. I can’t figure out if you want the autotune to be an obvious effect or not. The song doesn’t really float my boat but there’s nothing much wrong with how it’s been recorded, produced, etc. No doubt those more into the genre will like it.

Phlebia – This sounds very loud and compressed. I kind of like it for it’s power/noisiness and there’s some interesting textural vibes. The chorus is a bit Nirvana-ish, so no complaints there. It could probably do with being tamed a bit without losing the edge. I couldn’t listen to a whole album of it but my ears don’t mind one song’s-worth.

Night Sky – Aside from the bass and drums, I’d like to hear something more than the Doobie Bros guitar, which needs more finesse to carry the song, in the backing. Perhaps some electric piano or maybe if the bass had more movement it would help. The horn stuff is great. The song is okay, reminds me a bit of very early Steely Dan songs, though I’m not keen on the fade out.

Pannacotta Army – I kind of forced myself to do something featuring resonator slide – I’ve been meaning to for a while. I’d prefer this to be shorter but I didn’t feel I could cut any verses. I was unhappy with the resonator tone initially but it sounded better with some tinkering and when the other stuff was thrown in. I’d of liked more variety with the harmonica but was restricted by the key of the one I was using.

Lot’s of good stuff in this fight – I got four definite votes already and a whole bunch of others on the cusp, so some thinking to do
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Paco Del Stinko wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:22 am

The Pannacotta Army - .... I almost hear piano in here, but don't think there is, is there?
nope, just resonator...aside from bass, harmonica and percussion
Shade&honey
A New Player
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Tascam model 12. Reaper
Submitting as: Shade&honey
Pronouns: Mr

Post by Shade&honey »

the panna cotta army wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:40 am

Shade & Honey – I can’t say I’m sold on the telephone effect on the vocals. It can be an okay effect used in limited amounts - not sure about throughout the song. That aside, I do like the modern psychedelic vibe of the song along with the slow groove. The slow tremolo guitar is nice and adds to the laid back feel.
I agree with you 100% definitely gonna dial back that effect the next time I use it.
lichenthroat
Mean Street
Recording Method: MuseScore & Ardour or Reaper
Submitting as: Lichen Throat, Dimetrodon, Sparetooth, Dessert Tortoise
Pronouns: he/him

Post by lichenthroat »

I have positive impressions of all 19 of these songs. That barely seems possible, but it’s true. Great work, everyone.

Balance Lost—Nice solid stuff. Perhaps not the most memorable, but I’m happy anytime this is playing. The vocal fits well with the overall sound of the song. Your twin guitar mix is interesting without taking over the whole song.

Blonde and Bald—This reminds me of Nirvana Unplugged (really). I’ve had this song stuck in my head a couple of times this week, so you must be doing something right. The vocal could benefit from more experience, but you’re off to a great start.

Brown Word and the Big Whine—The unalloyed heaviness is a cool stylistic choice for this. It gets a little weighty after a while, but that fits with the lyrics, which I think I liked most among the John-Lewis-inspired takes. And I love the bridge (the musical bridge, not the Edmund Pettus Bridge). (By the way, I really liked your entry last week, even though I didn’t write reviews.)

Hardmonica—I’m clearly not the only one who finds this reminiscent of Jethro Tull, which is a pleasantly unusual choice for SongFight. I like the flute melodies, too, not just the concept of its use. You had a cool idea, you went for it, and it worked.

Jon Eric—The high quality of craft is what most stands out on this track. I don’t generally like this style of music, but I don’t mind listening to this song. And the polish on it is really impressive.

JTTJ—I’m nor sure I quite understand what you’re going for, but this is cool nonetheless. The effects on the instruments are tastefully and skillfully applied. It seems to drag a little bit about 2/3 of the way through, but it may just seem that way to me because of unfamiliarity with the genre. I like the last quarter or so.

Lichen Throat (me)—I was trying to write a song that sounded like Book of Love, which I’ve been listening to a lot lately. It came out closer to what I had in mind than what usually occurs. There are a few vocal moments I’d like to have back, but I’m mostly happy with this one.

Max Bombast—Nice hooks. Your style works well with the lyrics and song concept. Good stuff.

My Social Uniform—A few weeks ago, someone commented that reviews citing genre bias are a cop out, so I’ll try to do better than that, even though this is not a style of music that I tend to like. I do think that your execution is masterful. All the different tones and textures are done well, and you lay down a strong groove. I can easily imagine this being played in a club, and I’d be happy to dance to it, even though I may not have funk in my soul.

Night Sky—This is pretty earwormy, despite being out of my listening wheelhouse. It sounds organic and authentic. I’m not much of a horn aficionado, but you’ve used them well and effectively. Basically you’ve taken a bunch of things that I normally don’t like and have combined them into a song that sounds pretty good.

Paco del Stinko—This sounds like something that would energize the sleepy crowd about 3/4 of the way through an all-night dance party. Lots of buried nuggets. This rose in my estimation with each listen.

The Pannacotta Army—The execution is strong in this one. The repetitive guitar melody sets up a nice rhythm and never wears out its welcome. Nice mix.

Phlebia—Oh man, I hated this style of music when it was new. But I don’t hate this at all. Maybe you’re just better at doing it than its better-known practitioners. I just realized I was nodding my head in time to the rhythm. I’ll fully admit to not really understanding what’s going on here, but I’ll give you a tentative thumbs up.

Pigfarmer Jr—This feels like the last song of the night at the bar down by the county line. I think that’s sort of what you had in mind, so good job. Drums are good; you could even turn them up a little. The lyrics are sweet, especially the part in the bridge.

seemanski—The little tape-noise intro was funny and effectively set the stage for the song. This feels like it’s straight out of a 80s-movie soundtrack—in a totally good way. Center of your bullseye.

Shade & Honey—I’m guessing the thin-sounding vocal is a stylistic choice, rather than a limitation of your recording setup. Either way, I think I’d like this better with a fuller, richer vocal, especially since I think your performance is pretty good. I do like the feel of the vocal-0ver-shoegaze-drone. And welcome to SongFight!

Sober—I’m glad I don’t have to pick a winner in the Dobro battle, since both the songs are good. Your voice is just perfect for this. I don’t know if the rough edge is natural or an affectation, but it doesn’t matter, since it sounds great.

Sweeney Toad—I have a new favorite Sweeney Toad song; let’s see if I can explain why. I think it may be the chord progression. The music sounds good by itself, even before adding the wordplay. Good vocal delivery as usual.

Wow(!)Signal—Atmosphere is strongly evoked. It’s cool how you incorporate some more fragile-sounding vocal melodies in an otherwise heavy song. I have no idea what you’re doing or how you do it, but I like this.
CordSmith
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: guitar, bass, piano, drums, pennywhistle
Recording Method: Logic, Scarlett 18i20
Submitting as: Cord Smith, Skadaddle, Hardmonica

Post by CordSmith »

Great stuff everyone! So many submissions! It has been a while for me, but here goes...

Balance Lost

Nice stereo guitar separation. I love the vocal stylings on the verse, some nice delay/chorus going on there. It gives me a nice melancholoy feeling like I'm listening to some good Elliott Smith. The shortness of the song leaves me wanting more.

The Pannacotta Army

Love that old timey sound. The instruments are recorded so clean, it's like a professional recording. This reminds me in a good way of an old bluesy/rock band out of Boston called Treat Her Right (the harmonica too!) Great stuff. (Edit: Treat Her Right link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwz_u45XvHQ )

JTTJ

Bobbing my head and making "the face" when this kicks in at the beginning. Getting some TV on the Radio vibes here, love it. Very creative stuff going on here. I turned it up to hear everything. Love the corner that everything turns at the end. It's always nice to hear music that contains surprises.

Phlebia

Hell yeah, nice n' heavy, boiiiiii. I love how you dirtied everything up in production. This is a lot of fun. I would wiggle around to this on the smoky dance floor of my local goth club.

Hardmonica

This is me. It's not a flute actually, it's a pennywhistle. They're a lot of fun and sound great and cost like $20. I don't know why they don't make kids play these instead of those awful recorders. Yes, I've been listening to a lot of Jethro Tull. Aqualung 4 Lyfe.

Paco del Stinko

I like the secret agent sound of the music right from the start. I could see Guy Ritchie or maybe Edgar Wright setting an action scene to this--men in suits running from bobbys and russians down alleyways. I love the refreshing creativity here.

Blonde and Bald

This has all the classic makings of a viral kids youtube channel. Pay somebody on Fiverr to put cute animations to songs like this and retire on the beach.

Jon Eric

Getting some nice album oriented classic-rock vibes at the beginning. Like some Supertramp kind of production. This is made to be heard in an arena. Or ... a THEATRE. Some musical theatre influences here? Would like to hear some big vocal oohs and ahhs harmonies behind the catchy chorus.

Wow(!)Signal

Music and lyrics all done by a buddy of mine, I recorded and sent him the vocal track over the intertubes. What can I say, a new Hum album is out and this is very Hum-y. I think 99% of this was done on an iPad, which is nuts to an old timer like me. I like how this has the confidence to breathe.

Sober

Can't get enough of this old timey sound. Out the gate, I'm transported to sitting by a campfire with Tom Waits and a mug of whiskey. Love dat stereo separation. Not much to improve upon here.

Lichen Throat

Yes. I am transported to the 80s. Or back to dancing at my local goth establishment (we do have one here in Richmond, VA). Lighting effects abound. Vocals are perfect for this, could be a tiny bit lower in the mix. I, too, enjoy t-shirts with screen prints.

Pigfarmer Jr.

I'm a sucker for vocal harmonies. Nice mix of electric and acoustic guitar.

Seemanski

Love that cassette tape sfx. PHAT SYNTHS. I'm a sucker for those Depeche harmonies. Great song, great mix.

Shade and Honey

I love vocals with a notch-type eq going on. Love the ultimate alt rock sound here. This should be on the soundtrack to a Kevin Smith movie (one of the old good ones). There's a great overall vibe to this sound that transports me back to when I wasn't old.

Brown Word and the Big Whine

I want to hear this in a biker bar while a bunch of people are hitting each other with pool cues. The band keeps playing and everyone in the bar becomes drinking buddies by the end of the night.

Max Bombast

Love that guitar riff underneath the vocals. Good chorus and nice vocals. Great mix. I could go for a little more reverb or delay on the verse vocals. I think there's a nice bounce to the beat and the song could be a little longer.

Night Sky

Dem horns. This music is amazing, a really nice soulful vibe. I'd love some slapback echo on the vocals. Some record pops and snaps sfx at the beginning and end would be fun for this. Such a classic sound.

Sweeney Toad

I love this. I love it when folks color outside of the traditional songwriting circle. How many verse/chorus/verse rock-instrument songs can one person write/listen to? Thank you for giving us something different. Songs like this inspire me to take risks and try different things with my own songwriting. Nice sfx samples!

My Social Uniform

This is a lot of fun. I want to dance in my seat while listening to this on the radio as I drive to work (back when I wasn't teleworking ...) Great backing harmonies. Love that breakdown "my plans are solid gold ..." Lots of creativity going on here. Chimes?!? Good times!
Last edited by CordSmith on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shade&honey
A New Player

Post by Shade&honey »

CordSmith wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Shade and Honey

I love vocals with a notch-type eq going on. Love the ultimate alt rock sound here. This should be on the soundtrack to a Kevin Smith movie (one of the old good ones). There's a great overall vibe to this sound that transports me back to when I wasn't old.
Thank you. Im really in love with 90's early 00's indie alt rock and its the genre I want to explore. I know its kind of from days gone by, but I feel like there is a niche audience for the kind of vibe. Thank you so much.
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drums, Guitars, Keys
Recording Method: Focusrite + FL Studio
Submitting as: Phl*b*
Pronouns: bruh
Location: Not super far from Atlanta but definitely not Atlanta

Post by sleepysilverdoor »

CordSmith wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:18 pm

Wow(!)Signal

Music and lyrics all done by a buddy of mine, I recorded and sent him the vocal track over the intertubes. What can I say, a new Hum album is out and this is very Hum-y. I think 99% of this was done on an iPad, which is nuts to an old timer like me. I like how this has the confidence to breathe.
And I will point out to everyone else here: "Inlet" is a fantastic album, and everyone needs to check it out.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Pannacotta: Nice set of articulate, intelligent reviews. Well said, sir.

CordSmith: Gotta love Treat Her Right, man. Morphine too.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Note: I always appreciate all reviews, and the time and effort that go into making them. Meant no disrespect by singling one particular writer out.

That is all. :)
seemanski
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: Guitars
Recording Method: Reaper
Submitting as: seemanski

Post by seemanski »

Balance Lost:

Whenever I see your name I know I'm in for a treat. The tone on those guitars is great and I really really really liked that lead part in the chorus. The I/you balance in the lyrics is neat and the feeling I got when listening was that someone had a wrong doing on them and you are acting as the man in the middle.

Blonde and Bald:

This track has so much charm. I love how playful it is. It is very simple but it has a great hook, the drop is a really nice touch too.

Brown Word and the Big Whine:

I wasn't sure I was going to like this at first but when that chorus hit it changed my mind. Man, that is one catchy chorus. I can just picture people on streets fists in air and megaphones in hand. I think the drums could do with being brought up in the mix a bit to give it some more punch.

Hardmonica:

That flute, dare I say it I think it is a piccolo (I'm probably wrong though) is the real star of the show for me. It really adds character to the track and makes it stand out from the others. The vocals sit really nice over the top of it and has a great energy. Whenever I listened I just felt like I really wanted to see this live, it feels so organic and just kept seeing someone prancing around the stage with the flute or whatever it was, Jethro Tull sprung to mind (probably because of the flute).

Jon Eric:

My first post Nur Ein victory Jon Eric listen. I think that win has given you something, your kicking out some great tracks. The hey hey, ho ho bit caught me off guard at first, I was walking and I thought a dog was barking, I think it was because it was quite sharp but very low in the mix. Great music and really well mix.

I've come back to this a few days later after yesterday catching myself with your chorus stuck in my head. You do seem to have a knack for that though as I remember quite a few of your songs doing that to me during Nur Ein.

JTTJ:

This is certainly interesting, the intro with switch from a lonely guitar into the full band really packs a punch that I really wasn't expecting it. I thought it was going to be a lo-fi production but you really surprised me. The chorus is really disorienting and there is something about the timing of the bass that doesn't quite sit right with me. I do really like the feel of the track, it has a great spooky feel to it.

Lichen Throat:

Those bells are great, it has a real 80s feel, gonna go with Depeche Mode as a comparison, that I really dig. The little percussive bits that you do with the bells caught my ear when listening.

Max Bombast:

I had to watch your video before listening and putting my random musings. Impressive what you can come up with in an hour. I'm guessing you spent many more hours polishing it it sounds ace. I would love to record a video but I don't think you really want to see my ugly mug sat for hours slightly tweaking faders, cringing indefinitely and occasionally having a strop because it sounds bad.

I liked the song, I have definitely heard better songs from you before. The track feels rushed to me but that is not surprising, because it was.

My Social Uniform:

THIS IS ACE! A clear stand out track from the others. I could listen to this over and over again, and I have. It doesn't get old at all. I love the energy in your vocals and it makes me feel good when I listen to it. Really really loved this.

I have been inspired to try my hand at funk, I may regret it and trash it because it sounds god awful but this track makes me want to have a go.

Night Sky:

Cool vibe, it sounds like David Byrne is singing along to the James Brown backing track (I think it is the guitar that makes me think that). That saxophone and the brass instruments sound great.

Paco del Stinko:

This is really cool, I love the vocals, they remind me of Mark Lanegan. I really like the sense of urgency this track has, it makes me feel like I'm running away from the scene of a crime but loving every minute of it.

The Pannacotta Army:

Very very very slick. I really enjoy the guitar playing. The harmonica is a sweet touch, whoever you are singing about, sounds like a real piece of work.

Phlebia:

Grunge has a very special place in my heart and Alice in Chains are on the top of my list so this appeals to me as it reminded me of them in the chorus. Lacuna Coil was another band that sprung to mind when listening. There are some really cool distortion sounds and I really liked the rawness of the track. This just ticked the boxes for me based on my music taste.

Pigfarmer Jr:

This is really sweet song, a lovely song for your better half. I hope it earned you a few brownie points ;). It is very different from all the other themes going on in the songs.

seemanski:

That's me, if you hadn't guessed. I am desperately trying to pursue my love of synthwave. I discovered it about a year ago and have wanted to reproduce it ever since. I used The Comeback Kid by The Midnight as a starting point reference. I was going to reference track it at the end of it but I lost patience with the whole mixing process at that point. I am pleased with the overall outcome of this and enjoyed making it, which is always a plus.

Shade & Honey:

This is a really cool vibe. I like the distorted effects you have on your vocals. It has kind of a lazy appeal to it, I guess stoner rock is what I might label it as. I'm digging it.

Sober:

Ah man, I love your stuff. It has so much character and it is unbelievably well recorded. Throughout listening to this song I just had images of the O Brother Where Art Thou film. Man of Constant Sorrow, pah, they need to re-shoot and use this.

Sweeney Toad:

Loving all the chip tune, game boy like synths in the background. You have a very unique vocal style, the sliding part pre-chorusey bits are especially cool. It kind of feels like the end of the world but retro. I think the line "we're no longer human, we're good trouble" made me think of that. I could of course be talking absolute tosh though.

Wow(!)Signal:

Great build up, this has a very prog rock vibe to it but then it also makes me think of Tool, especially when that guitar kicks in and also the bass line in the verses. It's a very cool number, I must admit I would have liked a bigger end to it. I was waiting for a Parabola style guitar riff to slap me round the face. You do have the really cool guitar sound at the end but it didn't quite do it for, it was very very close though.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Late reviews again. Listening on my mix headphones.

Balance Lost: Cool stereo split with the guitars. There's a CKY quality to your voice, which I like. Is the bass fake? It sounds too uniform - randomize the velocity to humanize it a bit if that's the case. Stops are a nice touch, and I like the interesting bits of stereo ring out and delay happening during the drops. The snare is a bit thin. Overall a good demo-level recording.

Blonde and Bald: Joining Jim of Seattle and others in the tradition of Jr + Sr Songfighters. I won't say much here. Sounds like everything was recorded at once. The digital silence-then-paste at 1:00 is bad. Neat memory for y'all to have.

Brown Word and the Big Whine: I don't hate the reverb space. Need a lot more dry drum sound. Overloading the vocal in a few spaces. One of my favorites of yours as far as arrangement, though it could be shorter. The synth stuff before the (bad) guitar solo is really cool. As usual, my main note on vocals is to belt. You're getting closer.

Hardmonica: Generally speaking, reverb sounds great on flute, but I think it takes it too far out of the space here. Appropriately weird I guess, and the mix kind of feels like 70s psych. Maybe throw a little slapback on the vocal, or layer another unison take further back in the mix to fill it out a bit.

Jon Eric: The squashed snare bothers me. Rhythmically there's a lot of wavering, but by halfway through the song it feels like we find the groove. Mix is pretty flat and lacking punch. This has parts that sound like broadway musical, lounge, power pop - really disjointed. Vocal performance in the chorus is great - in other places it's more broadway, which I'm personally not a fan of. At times I'm reminded of Melody Generator's Space Cadet, which I love. First I've heard from you in a long time - good to hear you!

JTTJ: Fun disjoint-rock. Bits of SAIL, which is neat. This feels like a track #3 on an album that bridges the single in track #2 to the fan-favorite deep cut in track #4. Mix is decent, and I like the bits of space and sound design happening here.

Lichen Throat: Bleep blorp. Would almost like the snare to be super hard-gated. Your voice is definitely Tom Waits-ish, in that it's really not for some people. I am unfortunately one of those people for whom this is not.

Max Bombast: I'm sure others have pointed out the Take Me Home vibe. Your voice is great for this. I'm not liking the guitar tone - feels like it needs more stereo separation, and the particular fuzz or whatever isn't the best. A little more work in automating levels there will help them punch through as well. Good arrangement and track length. Nice little Jack White pop rock entry.

My Social Uniform: Great RHCP vibe. I'd maybe automate the ring on that snare - I love it for the intro, but it gets a little old. Kill the fake horns. Maybe do some dirty hammond instead. Some odd prosody bits lyric-wise. The delivery is obviously very good, but there's a little bit of a kidz bop vibe to the whole production. Like, I can picture you doing the Carlton in the booth. Definitely hate the castinets/snaps. There are lots of great ingredients here, but the bake is off. Everything is technically executed quite well, but it's like there's pineapple, peanut butter, and rosewater in the batter.

Night Sky: Marvin Gaye intro. Ack, tune that guitar. Maybe you tuned it and then put a capo on? Rhythmically there's a lot of wandering. Love hearing a real bari on songfight, though alto sax is perhaps my least favorite sound on earth. Some of your copy/paste points are obvious; do more crossfading. Apart from the novelty of a real sax section, this is thoroughly boring white guy blues. Mix needs a lot of work. Definitely some potential here though.

Paco del Stinko: There are parts of the instrumentals that reminds me of the Dead Kennedys, which is super fun. There's the signature Paco backing vocal on the chorus 🙄. Bring the hihat down a bit relative to the rest of the drums. Could have the snare punch through a bit more. As usual, lots of good pieces here.

The Pannacotta Army: Really fun. Dead ringer for some of the older Old Crow Medicine Show tracks. Would be interested to know how the harmonica sounds with a bit of amp burn. At any rate, it feels like it's slightly too up-front in the mix, and maybe panned a little too hard. Would like some stereo separation on the snaps and claps - either get a good stereo capture on those, or combine takes and split 'em. Otherwise it breaks the illusion created by the rest of the track - that you're not just a guy in front of your computer. Yeah, can really hear the room character on those - get funky with reverb, or maybe use a transient shaper and kill the sustain? Kick sounds just right for this, and I like the shaker/tambourine. Please do more like this!

Phlebia: I made some comments earlier this week in the discord. It's really fun to hear you try different stuff. The squeaky bass is amazing. Has a very Got the Life feel. The beat does seem to get lost a bit before the second verse comes back in. Would like the kick to punch through more - maybe duplicate the part with another sample that'll offset the distorted slap you're getting now. The second chorus sounds just awesome when it comes in. Doesn't feel like it's over 4m. Best I've heard from you.

Pigfarmer Jr: Mix is all over the place. Reminds me of old Ken. There's a lot of performance mismatching - like, the drums are playing like this is a Paco-level frenetic rock song, but the guitars and vocals are more smooth adult contemporary. The electric guitar tone is not great. Not everyone is playing the right note on that III or whatever chord at ~2:55. I've really liked some things you've done in the past, but this one strikes me as classic songfight meh.

seemanski: VVVVVV sounds make me happy. Vocals are just slightly too far back behind the synths. Pull them up and drop some tube burn or maybe some bitcrush on there. Would like to hear more cohesion on the chorus - some parallel movement in the synth would make it super catchy and impactful. As it is, the chorus doesn't really grab me. The pitches/harmony on the word "good" of "good trouble" feels off. I could do without the tape intro/outtro. Solid as hell entry from you as usual.

Shade & Honey: Bit of a You and Whose Army feel with the vocal. Mix is basically mono, and really lacks any kind of punch. Drums are starkly dry against everything else. Really, there are some neat sounds here, and a few hours spent watching youtube videos on mixing would make a world of difference. Bass and guitar performances are pretty sloppy in spots. Potential here.

Sober: First time writing something like this. Yeah, I broke my own rule of a too-long intro. This suffers from waiting too long to write - almost everything was written and recorded the day before the due date. By midnight, my ears were completely fried. If this ends up on an album in the future, I hear all kinds of things I'd like to fix. I will say I'm proud to have hit that A in my head voice - first time ever. Also, I hate drop D.

Sweeney Toad: Bring the ringy ride sound down, or dial back that ringing frequency. Appreciate the SMW samples. Frenetic, even unsettling. This lacks any amount of pop sensibility (which is fine!), and while a neat exercise, I can't imagine who your listener is that comes back to this for another helping.

Wow(!)Signal: Oh god the tuning. I just hate it. There are undoubtedly cool things happening in the arrangement. I would like to see a little more attention to detail in the drum programming to humanize it just a bit more. There are some spots in the fills where repeated hits are too similar in velocity, or where the turnaround lands in a way that feels cut and paste rather than a natural resolution. It's hard to identify exactly what makes it sounds fake, but like pornography, I know it when I see/hear it. Anyway, there are some good sounds and ideas here, but boy do I hate the decision to hard tune the vocal, and boy do I not care what your artistic reason for doing so was.

19 songs and not a single shitpost! Well done everyone. Max Bombast, Pannacotta Army, Phlebia, and seemanski shine this week.
🤠
SweeneyToad
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: FL Studio
Recording Method: Pro Tools, Soundforge
Submitting as: Sweeney Toad, Stylus Bazaar

Post by SweeneyToad »

jttj - this is awesome, it kind of reminds me of the pixies right in the beginning, maybe velouria. the vocals don't remind me of the pixies but they are really cool and have a cool effect on them. this was really pleasant to listen to. i think the chorus could have been improved upon, it just felt kind of lackluster i guess. this song was still pretty awesome though!

pigfarmer jr - niel young vibes, this song is pretty solid, so did your wife like the song? i'm guessing she did. I think the only thing this song needed was a kind of slightly trippy but not too trippy guitar solo towards the end, still a pretty nice song!

paco del taco - good to hear you back again with the david bowie vibes. this was pretty cool, i feel like it needed a little something extra but i'm not sure what. i like the chorus and the guitar solo was really nice. i think the little extra i'm listening for is just a little extra energy in your vocal delivery, like just a tad bit more and it would have been just right. this was pretty cool though.

hardmonica - what a funny band name, i like it. i like the little flute and it keeps reminding me of ron burgundy, and now i keep imagining that it is ron burgundy singing the song. i don't think i can properly review this anymore, like i just can't unsee it. lol i'm sorry, pretty solid song though!

seemanski - this makes me want to visit an arcade in the 80's, if i had a time machine i would probably do stuff like that the majority of the time tbh. this is pretty well done, sometimes when people do 80's style songs they can be kind of bad, but yeah this is actually totally rad. some of the vocals could be a little higher in the mix or maybe just need a certain effect to bring them out more. this did make me feel nostalgic and that is probably what you were going for, so good job!

john eric - really nice intro, feels like a song from a tv show in the 80's or really early 90's. this chorus is super catchy and infectious, i really like it a lot. sometimes your vocals could use a tad bit more energy i think but really it's not a dealbreaker. this was really enjoyable, good stuff!

brown word - loud and crunchy intro, sounds good though. cool riot grrl style vocals as per usual. when the vocals double up it sounds pretty cool. the chorus is fun. i think this song could maybe use some backing chanting style vocals, like civil rights, CIVIL RIGHTS! just a little bit though, not a whole lot, still pretty cool song though!

blonde and bald - these lyrics are too real. i'm currently writing a song about dogs so i'm finding this content super relatable. this kid did a good job, keep at it, lots of potential here i think!

shade and honey - i really like this a lot, it reminds me of one of my favorite bands Built to Spill. More like their early stuff or maybe something from their b-sides album, which is my personal favorite stuff of theirs. I really like the lo-fi indie rock sound you got going here, i feel like it could use something a little extra, like a trippy synth or just a weird electronic backing to come in at some point. awesome song though regardless! hope to hear more from you in the future!

lichen throat - i really like the music you have created for this, it kind of has an 80's vibe but doesn't exactly sound like an 80's song. what are those bell samples or synths or whatever? it reminds me of something from an 80's movie, i keep thinking of the movie Lost Boys. That was one of my favorite movies when i was a kid. i like your lyric about the never ending cookie jar. this song was weird and i liked it!

sweeney toad - i was trying to make a punk rock style song without using a guitar because i don't have a guitar and i don't know how to play one. i'm pretty happy with how this turned out. the lyrics are about some of the ridiculous conspiracy theories going around about the new vaccine, i thought it would be funny to write a song about it, so i did!

balance lost - epic intro, i like the bass line for this song. i like when you do the more high pitched backing vocals, it sounds cool as a contrast with your main vocals. you need more energy for the "woo!" if you're going to do a "woo!" you need to commit to it, go back and listen to song 2 by blur for context. this song was still pretty awesome though, good stuff!

max bombast - catchy riff, awesome energy in your vocals. i'm not sure i can find anything to critique here, this is just super solid. good job!

pannacotta - so i said shade and honey reminded me of old built to spill, well this reminds me of the solo stuff the singer of that band put out later on. this is really well done. i feel like this song would fit really well as part of a movie soundtrack. you should shop it around and see if you could get it in something!

mysocial uniform - this reminds me of a band i used to like in the early 2000's, i think they were called Junior Senior. It's really catchy and would probably get played a lot at dance clubs and stuff. I like the effect you put on your vocals at that one part, it sounds cool. Your vocal delivery overall is pretty excellent. i think the only thing this song is missing is a little talkbox break down for a section somewhere. good job on this one for sure though!

Sober - this sounds somewhat similar to the pancotta entry, it makes me want to see you two do some sort of dueling banjo live performance thing, that would be rad. your chorus is really awesome and fun. you have a really good vocal delivery, like it somehow sounds raw and polished at the sametime. i've only heard a few of your songs so far but this is definitely my favorite one of yours. i said pannacotta's song sounded like it could be in a movie, i keep thinking of yours fitting well in a videogame soundtrack, like red dead or borderlands maybe. anyways, awesome song man!

wowsignal - this is pretty nice, intro kind of reminds me of hum or something. i feel like when the song slows down in the middle it gets a little too slow, like maybe it should of picked up a little bit faster, i'm probably just nitpicking though, pretty solid song overall!

phlebia - man this totally reminds me of a very specific song but i can't place it. at least the intro does but i just can't think of what. anyways, this is a really cool entry from you. i like the little electronic sounds happening during the verses, it almost sounds like static electricity that you can hear, if that makes sense. anyways this was just a really dope song overall, good job man! p.s .now i think i realize what the intro to your song is reminding me of lol: https://youtu.be/vrSyrOaoAug

night sky - i like the horns, i feel like the vocals could use a little more energy. the horns really make this song though, the guitar riff is catchy and compliments them nicely. pretty groovy song!
Sober GF: I can't explain why but I hated it

Toby Rok: Sweeeney Toad...I can’t explain why, but I like it...

sweeneytoad.bandcamp.com
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

reviews reviews reviews

Sweeney Toad - Digging the Death Grips aesthetic, I want to hear some zack hill-esque drums on this. Engaging and delightful. Vote.

Pigfarmer Jr. - Sweet and sappy. I like the chord change at "kiss you". That great bass part gets my vote.

Phlebia - Jebus, I thought *I* had the most overcooked bass tone around here. This sound is HUGE. Great vocal, those chorus harmonies are sweet. Vote!

The Pannacotta Army - Well crafted and performed 12-bar. Great playing. A tad too clean for me.

Paco del Stinko - Delirious Paco goodness, I like those off-kilter guitars. The "I want good trouble" hook is great the but the rest of the melody wanders too much for me.

seemanski - Image

Balance Lost - Awesome jangly guitars and juicy bass. Great energy and melody. That tiny "woo" needed to be 900% cooler. Vote.

Lichen Throat - Lots of catchy melodies here, I like hearing your higher registers. These lyrics might mean something, but not to me.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - This rocks, and that chorus is catchy as hell and earns my vote. Drums sound like they're probably great, I can't tell because I can't hear them! Turn 'em up. "Sometimes the rules ain't in the right" is a great line. Too bad "Militarized police" doesn't quite scan.

JTTJ - SAIL! Gorgeous sounds in this spacious arrangement, this song is immediately arresting. The pop verses are pure earcandy, but the chorus leaves me a little seasick. The melody loses me at the end. Vote.

Sober - This has the grit that I wanted to hear in Pannacotta Army's song. Love it, this just oozes swagger. I like the story. Your voice is killer. Vote.

Night Sky - Man, I'd vote for these horns alone. Follow, listen and learn, love.

Jon Eric - These melodies are all great, but that chorus melody is top-notch. The emotional, beautiful bridge really puts this song over the top. Perfect arrangement with a strong ebb and flow. I just wish it all didn't sound so clean. Vote of course.

My Social Uniform - Woah, who is this? A great pop sugar rush. Sounds pretty pro to me. That lead vocal is A+++, some real bruno mars shit. You already know how good this is. Vote
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Early reflections: wow, 19 songs and none of them dogshit! Yay! Not all of them are ones I would vote for or ever listen to again, but none are just straight up bad. I’m not putting the same level of effort into these as I often do, so apologies.

Balance Lost - I don’t know what it is about the bass synth choice in this but something about the bass tone bothers me. As for the melody, it’s pretty good, though for some reason in the chorus I kind of wish it had a bit more dynamism to it? Like in the chorus, those higher notes in the backing harmonies I want to hear the melody move up there cause it’s a nice contrast. Or maybe just keep them more consistently present? And yeah, amp up that WOO! It’s not woo-ey enough!

Blonde and Bald - This is incredibly charming in a simple sort of way. Writing songs with your kid is always fun! Especially when they’re all about some doggies. What’s your favorite kind of dog? I like Scottish Terriers.

Brown Word and the Big Whine - It’s catchy in a retro rock kind of way, but not the sort of retro rock that I really love all that much. Probably the closest to the meaning of the title, since wasn’t he the guy who used the term “good trouble to begin with”. There’s a really flat bass note at 1:55 that bothers me. I mean I suppose it’s okay but this doesn’t do much for me.

Hardmonica - I love the flute, it makes me happy. Rock needs more flute. A few other people pointed out Jethro Tull but the flute style reminds me more of Herbie Mann. I like the verses more than the chorus, which doesn’t do much for me. Well, the second chorus came out a bit stronger. Vocals are mixed a bit flat for my liking. Like the muted galloping riff.

Jon Eric - We’ve already discussed this but I can’t NOT hear that one 90s alternative song with the marble mouthed sounding dude going “don’t worry about, blah blah out”. This could use a bit more bass. It’s crystal clear sounding but missing some low end. It’s catchy in a way that gets a different song stuck in my head. Instrumental is well done, I like the piano trills.

JTTJ - Everyone else keeps saying this reminds them of SAIL! But other than that chunky bass, (which reminds me more of Billie Eilish’s track “xanny” more than Sail anyway) nothing else really does. I love when it gets all tripletty and does the key change that sounds all spooky and such. Vocals are great, and the processing on them is pretty cool. The chords and synth textures have this kind of cool proggy feel at times.

Lichen Throat - I love the synth you have with this and this might be my favorite backing track of yours cause I really dig this sort of echo-ey synth-pop, not-dark-enough-to-be-darkwave, new-romantic whatever genre. Maybe more laser-ey tom sounds in the drums would have made it sound a bit better.

Max Bombast - Strong melody line, strong vocal performance. Like Jon Eric, it reminds me way too much of another song. Maybe not as strongly as his, but the riff of this is *very* similar to take me out and I can’t not notice it. But yeah, that high note in the main melody is a nice touch! I would have compressed the drums a bit more. But that’s just my stick. The “a little good trouble” has this sort of 80s pop attitude to it for some reason. I don’t know what it is about it.

My Social Uniform - Can’t stop won’t stop the beat can’t stop won’t stop the beat. Yeah I didn’t think of Jr Sr until Sweeney said it, but my wife said it was giving her major Jamiroquai vibes. The “HUH” understated little vocal tics are great and this is so slick and the vocals are great and this is funky and I love it. And the synths and the beat and the trumpet stabs and the little clicky percussion okay this is amazing.

Night Sky - There’s a couple noticeably flat notes in the intro with the sax that are bothering me quite a bit. It doesn’t completely ruin the song, but it doesn’t lead to a strong impression. Pretty standard 12 bar pattern. Points for sax though if only cause I don’t hear it all that much. The first “good trou-ble!” kind of reminds me of Abe Simpson. But there’s a sax solo, that’s neat. I find this song kind of boring. I find all 12 bar blues boring. My mom tried to get me into it as a kid...but it just never stuck. Sorry mom.

Paco Del Stinko -I really like how it ends on that false lead into another section. Nice and abrupt. Pretty good catchy tune, it’s got this kind of campy vibe to it that makes me wanna do the monster mash even though it doesn’t sound anything like the monster mash. Lyrics are pretty good, execution is tight. I dug the opening riff quite a bit. It doesn’t stick with me at all, unfortunately. :/ But I wanted it to.

Pannacotta Army - Yeah, you and Sober really landed in the same genre, and in the dobro-off I can’t pick a winner you both rule. I slightly preferred Sober’s tune but yours is pretty fantastic by itself, it’s got this great stomp to it that it’s irresistible. As usual, extreme quality and this is great.

Phlebia (liner notes) - It’s been interesting seeing what everyone compared my song to. Okay, the bassline was indeed Korn-influenced, undeniably. I did not have Alice In Chains in mind at all. I did not have Tool in mind at all, though in hindsight it’s kind of similar to “Sober”. I did have Led Zeppelin in mind, and both Paco and Sweeney picked up on that. I mostly had Make Yourself-era Incubus in mind for the chorus and lyrics. And I jacked the melody from a tune on the Tetrisphere soundtrack. I don’t know how I went from writing predominantly post-punk/darkwave inspired stuff to [nu|alt]-metal inspired stuff over the course of a year, but this is stupidly fun.

Pigfarmer Jr. - This song is sweet and well executed. I don’t really have a lot to say about it, other than I’d probably tone down the drums a bit in the chorus, they’re all crashy and sound like they’re trying to be all HEAVY RAWK but the song totally isn’t. All in all one of your more poignant offerings.

Seemanski - I love synths on this. I love the chugging synth bass. This is my kind of jam. Do you ever listen to the artists on Dais records? Because you totally should if you want to hear more stuff like this. The guitar solo is great, restrained, and effective. I would have mixed the vocals a bit higher for this style, that’s my main gripe if I had one. This is delicious. Maybe by the last verse the simultaneous guitar work and twinkle synths are a bit overwhelming? I like it a lot.

Shade and Honey - I like the tremolo on the guitar. Vocals are way too filtered. And that ride cymbal is too dry for my liking. I want to dig this more than I do but I think the mix lets it down a bit. Like all those tremolo’d guitars need to be higher, and the drums sound all boxy. Vocal performance is a bit flat in places. Like if you’re gonna do a song like this either strip it down more and make the mix super clean, or compress the mix, up the wall-of-sound aspect, and cover the vocals in reverb so I can’t hear you over the WOW. Right now it’s just awkwardly in between.

Sober - This is so good, that ⅞ is just inspired and I love it. This is has the best rhythm and your vocal performance is just top-notch and the instrumental is great. The chorus really reminds me of Black Water by the Doobie Brothers which I’ve already told you. I don’t know how to tell you to improve this so I’ll point out this is my favorite SF entry since Berkeley Social Scene’s “Four Corners” entry. Maybe some harmonica would have been cool?

Sweeney Toad - This is so manic and all of the yoshi spits are really helping with it. I don’t even know how I would describe this…I know “nerdcore” is sort of the genre you tag yourself with but it just runs headlong into the mania and over the top 8-bit sounds that it’s almost punky in its attitude. And when that synth comes it at the end I love the dissonance. I guess it could have a more coherent ending?

Wow(!)Signal - I liked the quiet brooding atmosphere of this but something about the structure kind of kills it for me. It feels like Superunknown with the riff at the start, and I want a bit more of that. But then it goes into the verse just in time to sap the momentum...I’d probably change the structure of this. Or add more words or something to the vocal melody. Like after the “over, over”, just go straight to a heavy bit cause you’re killing me with restraint. So many cool elements, but it’s just too meandering for me to say I like it. But yeah, this is like Soundgarden if they forgot to put any drive in their tunes.
"There's a lot to be said about a full-on frontal assault on the ear drums" - Pigfarmer Jr.
Shade&honey
A New Player

Post by Shade&honey »

@Lemmy I appreciate the feedback. All a learning process.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Sober wins, Phlebia is second place.

There clearly were some shenanigans happening, and while I can't say 100% for sure what was going on, (and it might not have even involved either of the folks who benefited from whatever was going on, necessarily) I can say 100% for sure that I did not like it and that all it accomplished was wasting my time, making it take longer for me to post the results, and therefore for me to update the whole site and get the new songs and new title up for everyone in the community. So if anybody reading this was involved, please stop. There is nothing worth cheating over here and all you're doing is inconveniencing me and everyone else.
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools

Post by Sober »

Sam, all:

I don't promote my songfight entries. Some of you are friends with me on various social media platforms, and I think you can confirm that I don't promote, or really post much at all. Any sharing I do is 1:1 direct messages exclusively with soundcloud links.

A lot of people know I do songfight, though. It seems clear that one or more people shared the songfight link, and that the virality or whatever you want to call it ended up shitting all over how the voting system is supposed to work. This was a really good fight, and the other songfighters deserve recognition. I'm happy to have all my votes voided.

I'm really sorry this happened, and it kills me that it created extra work for you, Sam. If you want, we can take a discussion of how to avoid this in future to private message. Thanks for doing what you do.

*edit to add: There is zero chance Phlebia had any hand in shenanigans. It seems likely that his song was included as a 2nd vote suggestion in a copy/paste message that got spread around.
🤠
sleepysilverdoor
Ice Cream Man

Um. Well, I *did* want to see Sober's song win, but he only got one vote from me. I'm a bit confused. Maybe Texan vote spammers really like nu metal? Well, My Social Uniform, since you didn't benefit from this weirdness, congrats on a natural 3rd? That was funky!

Sober, Sam...I wouldn't mind being roped in if you take that convo elsewhere.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

It looks like maybe Trump practiced here? What a lame-o.

And I'd like to thank my one voter. Unless it's a fraudulent vote, that is. Ain't mine, I know that!

Congrats to the top tier folks, any one deserved the win.
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

As someone who currently has a recorder head joint stuffed down the front of their bra to warm it up, I feel compelled to defend that slander against the recorder I saw earlier! Pennywhistles are great, but they're restricted to set keys. Kids learn recorder in school instead because you can play all the notes on a recorder and learn lots of different things about music. They're cheap (in mass produced plastic form, anyway), small and adaptable to a wide range of styles. Yes, it's easy to play a recorder poorly, and most primary school teachers don't know how to play it well, so most kids also don't know how to play it well. It's very possible to make a recorder sound amazing.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Sober: Thank you for being straightforward about it, and it's really not a huge deal, it's mostly just an inconvenience. Sounds like it was unintentional on your part. I'm always amazed to hear that anybody actually has any way to get 20-30 people to vote for them at all. I can't get my friends to do shit for me. :lol:
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Well whatever happened with the votes, in my book Sober was probably the deserved winner by a whisker, so I ain't got no complaints