What is dead may never die (Cemetery Island reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy
Pronouns: he/him

What is dead may never die (Cemetery Island reviews)

Post by Chumpy »

... but rises again harder and stronger.

Write your reviews of the Cemetery Island fight in this this thread.

Post your lyrics here.
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: What is dead may never die (Cemetery Island reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
reve
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Soldering iron.
Recording Method: Reaper.
Submitting as: R., Chth*.*, etc.

Post by reve »

Hello. My name is Reve Mosquito, and I was in this week with a track of homemade synthesizers into a tape recorder. Normally I enter with my pal Ujn, but I knocked this together right before the deadline. Anyway, to the reviews!

BSS
I think you guys should rename yourselves "Zerkeley Social Scene." That way the rest of us chumps don't have to listen to your excellent musicianship first and be reminded just how mediocre we are. As always, you guys come across as the apex of professionalism. Nicely done.

jerkatorium
Yes, yes, and yes. It's ironic that I threw my own track intentionally into muddy fourtrack hell, and here I am wishing that this was clearer so that I could more studiously wrap my ears around your beautiful track. Best song of the fight.

lojinx
When I was 16, I spent months looking for an obscure CD single (this was pre-meaningful-internet) of Kurt Cobain shredding feedback over a William S. Burroughs reading. I finally go it, and it was an awesome experiential moment. This is kind of like that.

magnetic letters
Obviously this is a vote. My only (only!) qualm is that it sounds like a synth'd accordion. And as an accordion owner, I take my accordions seriously. I like to think that you're just such an awesome accordionist that you make it sound like a robot was playing it. Either way, very well done. Kudos.

mellfiretrifecta
Hey, good job! Your guitar sound is super clear. For me, that would be bad, as I am terrible. For you, it really works and reminds me of how beautiful the instrument is. Nicely, done. Also, I like the key changes.

neurotypesamillionacc0
Right on right on.

Paco
Of all the like, super talented songfighters, I always have to compare you to BSS. Like, who's better in this fight (because y'all are in every fight) -- BSS or Paco? Obviously, you win because you don't have to divide your score. That said, this weeks' track even took some unexpected turns, so good job on surprising me even though I've heard (probably) hundreds of your songs. You are a national treasure, and I hope you realize how great you are.

Thee Majestick Glory of WreckdoM
As someone who's had a 20+ year relationship with Songfight, I have had the pleasure of watching the WreckdoM stretch itself, expanding to take on whatever new challenges appear. I remember the days when that super tight, A-List WreckdoM only came out for Nur Ein. But now it seems like every week we get the polished WreckdoM. Until you get weird and show us your roots. #WFL

Thank you all. You're amazing.
-- reve mosquito.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Basic rock, at a basic level.
Recording Method: Roland 2480
Submitting as: Paco del Stinko

Post by Paco Del Stinko »

Not an amazing fight, the strong few were really strong! Listened on studio headphones.

Berkeley Social Scene - Great start, very detective atmosphere. Very BOC at times with current airs. Chorus betters as it repeats, something too dino there. The BOC, perhaps. Solid, sounds great, not very spooky, it could be heavier than it says it is. More Archie than Freddy.

Jerkatorium - Wow. Very JM Chain, very you guys. I am in LOVE with the chorus chords, esp. where they sharp turn it. This is raw and loose feeling, but with a hook deep in your brain cheek. Great lyrics, more mysterious than spooky, music driving and grabbing. Get Moon to drum and you would rule the world. Psychedelic brain candy, love it. Very encouraging!

Lo-Jinx
- OK loop and mumbles exercise. I can't make out the story without reading it, although it reads very well. Maybe it'd be better over less percussive movements. More mood, mist. Great narrative ending pulled it off nicely. Vocal up, music back, excellent.

The Magnetic Letters - Right from the Zappa kids' album. Vocal work atop the tasty instrumentation is tops. Almost a theme song. it's lacking a horn-like element top the chorus. Twisty fun, the percussion percolates. May not grab but fascinates and makes you want to see. Complex and very clean sounding. Perfect length, disturbing story, I'm in!

The Mellfire Trifecta - Vampire start, Hammer Films. The progression 70's out and sounds nice. '78. The vocal parts are well done, if the lead is a bit too precise. Like, a ghost of a whiff of Tom Jones needed. Or, you know. More air, a bit of earth, flute flourish. Love what it does, take it around the block again to get a bit more comfy. Great structure.

neurotypesamillionAcc0 - Some hit, some miss. This misses more than hits, to me. Trippy, yea, thankfully not a long one. Too shuddery.

Paco del Stinko
- New strings on the Martin sound pretty good, I think. Metal Zone Waza into amp. Theremin double amped and mic'd. Liner noters. More time with lyrics/vocals might've helped. Maybe.

R. Mosquito - Vampire music at the nightclub. The saturated sonics are delicious. Simple points being made via melody, throb, lyrics, attitude. Direct and full of drive, love the simple hook. Something sexy about it, if a bit naughty. Love it.

WreckdoM - Heady start wades into an evolving swamp. Swirly take my hands of micky'd drink effect. Rises and falls, a sharper edge required at times. Thematic. Love the heady murk bridge, Sabbath's out greatly. Not a hooker or a sinker.
Last edited by Paco Del Stinko on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bringin' the stink since 2006.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Reve wrote:You are a national treasure, and I hope you realize how great you are.
Maybe I should be buried! :lol:

Nah. Don't want that. Cook me up or plant me under a tree, thank you. Just don't leave me in the can.
MellyP
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, keyboards
Recording Method: Spire, Reaper
Submitting as: mellfire, hoodmo, The Mellfire Trifecta

Post by MellyP »

Berkeley Social Scene: This is a great start. Every choice seems right instrumentally. Love the guitar parts and the bass sounds extremely clear. Drums are perfect. Really nice vocal – double-tracked I think? Maybe only sometimes. The harmony vocals are terrific and they add a lot, especially to the chorus. I like the lyrical idea. This is actually my favorite of the BSS songs I’ve heard over the past maybe year and a half. Extremely catchy. My only quibble with the cool bridge section is the pairing/rhyming of “wear” and “underwear” but the section's excellent, a useful and contrasting sidestep into Rocky Horror territory for a few bars and then the rest is so much more satisfying. I also like the spoken verse ending “…people are dying to get in” since it helps to keep things interesting for the full four minutes. Awesome song and a guaranteed vote from me.

Jerkatorium: I think this song is super well put together. I’m on board for the story. The singing and playing are first rate. I really like how you turned it from straightforward to chaotic at about the halfway point. I like the ending, which is very satisfying. I’m sure it is a choice to have it sound so “trebly” guitar-wise, and that may not be the right term, but I wanted it to be a bit less so. The chord structure seems simple at first and proved to be kind of ingenious. Good job.

Lo-Jinx: I really enjoyed the story as I read along. It was pretty hard to catch all the words otherwise. I like the musical accompaniment as well. It works. Not obviously frightening but off-putting in a good way. I don’t know that I would be inspired to do repeated listens on something like this but others probably would. Thanks for bringing something unique like this to Songfight!

neurotypesamillionAcc0: Thank you for bringing something to Songfight!

Paco del Stinko: The lonely guitar at the start was nice, but you jump into the surf and start wailing (not whaling) quickly enough – then you come back to the calmer waters every once in a while. These quick transitions definitely make me think of Yes, around “Fragile” time frame, but your style/singing/themes are more muscular here, more intense. This is a real trip. I feel that it must have taken a long time to write this music and a very long time to record. It’s really well done and it’s a vote from me.

R. Mosquito: I love the music here, but I can’t quite hear all the lyrics. I want to. What I hear sounds good, but it’s a bit muffled for me. I like the harmonizing vox. You combined industrial with horror and that's pretty cool. The vocal melody is really good. I like the percussion too. AND now I find I’m humming this as I work. Good job.

The Magnetic Letters: This doesn’t happen to me too often, but I definitely went to ‘meh’ on first listen to ‘very cool!’ on second listen. Consider me converted. The octave singing is effective, and the keys playing is terrific. This is great writing. You managed to elevate what could have been a simpler sea shanty to something far more substantial and musically challenging for the listener. How did you make that high octave voice happen? A definite vote here.

The Mellfire Trifecta: A bit different for us. Wrote the music first and kind of painted me-self into a corner to figure out the vocal line, so it’s very on the dot of the melody at times. Had a lot of fun though. Loving the Songfight!

WreckdoM: Oh yeah, super creepy creaking door – did you make it or find that sound? Nice drum playing all the way through, and guitar is really well played as well. Some tough parts in this one. Super groove. This is also a tough vocal to pull off, since it’s all over the place, up and down and intense and then less so. I liked this one a lot.
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

Jerkatorium win!
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

Congrats, Jerks!
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Chumpy
Twilight Sparkle
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bass
Recording Method: Logic
Submitting as: Jerkatorium, Chumpy

Post by Chumpy »

The Jerks are back with another reviews podcast, this time joined by legendary SongFighter Ken!

Here is how you can listen: You can skip to a particular section of the podcast by clicking on the links below.

INDEX: Spooky!
"I don't recommend ending on a bad joke." --ken
ujnhunter
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, Crummy Guitar & Animal Noises (especially Donkeys)
Recording Method: Reaper 5.9x, Tascam FireOne/Behringer UMC202HD/Avid Eleven Rack/Line 6 UX2, Win 7 PC / Win 10 Laptop
Submitting as: Cock, Chth*.*, D.A.H. (Der Alter Hahn)
Pronouns: His Infernal Majesty

Post by ujnhunter »

Woohoo! Love that podcast. :)
-Ujn Hunter
Photovoltaik - Free 6 Track EP - Song Fight! Liner Notes
Billy's Little Trip wrote:I must have this....in my mouth.....now.
Paco Del Stinko
Hot for Teacher

Bad news: the covid finally caught me. Had a good run, though. Good news: got to listen to the whole Jerks podcast. Great job, all, enjoyed it very much. Now back to feeling like shit. :cry:
WreckdoMelle
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Gibson SG, clarinet, tuba, bass guitar, baritone horn, mandolin, vox, sax (sorta)
Recording Method: Bitwig Studio
Submitting as: Brown Word and the Big Whine, sometimes WreckdoM
Pronouns: she/her

Post by WreckdoMelle »

Thank you all for the reviews, we appreciate the insights. Reve, haaa, yes and thank you! Jerks - a podcast about Song Fight? Awesome, and also congrats. And get well soon Paco. MellyP, the creaky door was a sample.
Brown Word and the Big Whine on Bandcamp:
http://brownwordandthebigwhine.bandcamp.com