Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Nur Ein XVIII Round Six "Question Mark"

Post by Niveous »

How will you handle Round Six?

Submit an original song by July 9th at 11:59 PM (EDT) that fits the following criteria

Title: Question Mark

Challenge: Answer Song based on one of your competitor's songs from a previous round

Send your MP3 to nurein.sidefight@gmail.com

Good luck!
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Re: Nur Ein XVIII, Round Six: "Question Mark"

Post by glennny »

Does "competitors from a previous round" include Previous Nur Eins?

Could we respond to Merisan? Puce? Boop Boop? Manhattan Glutton? (AKA: Moss Palace, Max Bombast, Jimmy Pesto, Grumpy Mike)

EDIT: Oh yeah, what about shadow entries? e.g. Crown Shy, may we respond to that?
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Re: Nur Ein XVIII, Round Six: "Question Mark"

Post by Niveous »

Only songs from this current Nur Ein. Shadows are fine.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

Re: Nur Ein XVIII Round Six "Question Mark"

Post by BoffoYux »

Tonight's LP will hopefully start around 10 p EST - Another Municipal meeting on the docket delaying our start time. Check in the chat if it runs a little later than that.

I'll also add the latest SongFight to the mix - so 7 SF and 5 Nur Ein tunes for your listening and dining pleasure. Drop in and remember to switch to 'LiveChat' so you get all the back and forth reviewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMpP7_D52ac
vowlvom
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar, keys, "other"
Recording Method: PC, reaper, ableton
Submitting as: Vowl Sounds, Vom Vorton
Pronouns: he/him

Post by vowlvom »

Cavedwellers - good song, particularly the catchy chorus. Mix feels a bit muddy, the vocal in particular gets a little buried at times. Lyrically, I'm a little mixed - some of the "answering" here feels a little... patronising? But the rhythms / rhymes / word choices in the chorus are fun, as is the lake evaporating to puddles. Still a song I found very enjoyable to listen to despite my complaints.

Ellipsis - combining all the challenges? You over-achiever. Of the five songs, this is easily the one I had the strongest emotional reaction to - it feels like an "answer" you've put a lot of yourself into rather than just riffing on the source material and that makes a huge difference. Really like the slow, sad melody and the production helps bring out the emotion as well as feeling like it's in conversation with the original song in an interesting way. Definitely my favourite in a strong round.

Glennny - this has a lot of good in it, I particularly like the twin synth / guitar lead work. It doesn't quite stick with me like most of the other songs did though, I'm not entirely sure why but in a round where my #2 - #4 songs were separated by tiny fractions, I found it harder to make a case (to myself) for this one.

Grumpy Mike - I've totally been on Team Grumpy the last few rounds but I couldn't get on with this one at all. The lead guitar feels meandering and sloppy, the sparser drum sections don't really work for me, the "dear sir" hook grated and I just cannot stand the full on rawk-vocals you drop into a few times here, sorry. I know there's some genre bias at play here but even taking that into consideration I thought the other songs had a lot more to offer.

Moss Palace - this is very Robyn, and I love Robyn. So I'm biased towards this but also I miss the glorious streak of melancholy that runs through most of her best songs. It's interesting hearing that sound used for such a warm and positive song, though. The production is very good although there's a few places where the rhythm of the synth-bass feels a little muddled to me, and I'm not sure why (maybe a compression thing?) - but generally really enjoyed this one.
glennny
Jump
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Dobro, Banjo, E-Bow, Glock
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene

Post by glennny »

Vom wrote:
Cavedwellers - ...... Lyrically, I'm a little mixed - some of the "answering" here feels a little... patronising?.......
Yes, you are right. It's supposed to be a father reacting to a daughter who has lost ambition. I was thinking about my son when writing the lyrics, he hates school, hates work, etc.

We often run into this problem where we write from the point of view of an unreliable narrator, we don't necessarily believe what we sing. It's just a character reacting to the character in the Crown Shy song.

In any case, thank you so much for the review!
Phillipso, Older Brothers, Semolina Pilchards, Zipline , Thank Glennny for the Frisbee, The Odoriferous Valley, The Worldly Self Assurance, Berkeley Social Scene, Very Gentle Knives, Daddy Bop Swing Set, GUNS, The Kraken Lives, Cavedwellers
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Post by Lunkhead »

It looks like the results didn't get put into the nure.in site for this fight.
Adam!
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Drum 'n' Bass (but not THAT Drum 'n' Bass)
Recording Method: Reaper + Stock Plugins
Submitting as: Max Bombast

Post by Adam! »

grumpymike wrote:a song
Where's the bass?

EDIT: I found it

https://songfight.net/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1858
Attachments
GrumpyMark.mp3
(8.61 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
grumpymike
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Rage and curmudgeonry
Recording Method: Zero-turn lawnmower
Submitting as: Grumpy Mike

Post by grumpymike »

Adam! wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:56 pm
grumpymike wrote:a song
Where's the bass?

EDIT: I found it

https://songfight.net/forums/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1858
Cool take on it! I love that descending line you added at the bridge and last chorus.