I thought he stole my Marimba but it's (Not My Vibe reviews)

Discuss upcoming, current, and previous song fights.
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott
Pronouns: he/him

I thought he stole my Marimba but it's (Not My Vibe reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

And I still can't find my xylophone.
Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Pigfarmer Jr
Jump
Instruments: Guitar
Recording Method: Br-900CD and Reaper to mix
Submitting as: Pigfarmer Jr, Evil Grin, Pork Producer, Gilmore Lynette Tootle, T.C. Elliott

Re: I thought he stole my Miramba but it's (Not My Vibe reviews)

Post by Pigfarmer Jr »

Evil Grin bandcamp - Evil Grin spotify
T.C. Elliott bandcamp - T.C. Elliott spotify

"PigFramer: Guy and guitar OF MY NIGHTMARES." - Blue Lang
Lunkhead
You're No Good
Instruments: many
Recording Method: cubase/mac/tascam4x4
Submitting as: Berkeley Social Scene, Merisan, Tiny Robots

Re: I thought he stole my Marimba but it's (Not My Vibe reviews)

Post by Lunkhead »

Songs posted!
rone rivendale
Odie
Instruments: Electronica, nothing real
Recording Method: Fruity Loops, Goldwave
Submitting as: Rone Rivendale

Post by rone rivendale »

I saw only 1 set of reviews were done for the last fight so I hope me doing these will convince others to follow suit. Keep in mind I know very little about criticizing other people's work considering my own low level of knowledge so please don't be offended if you were nitpicked. Thank you.

Blue Hydra
Now I see why people criticized my One Minute Closer entry. This is too simple and too repetitive to be enjoyable. Definitely has potential to be a good song with more things added in between the bits.

Chris Club...
The guitar riffs are very Credence Clearwater Revival and I love it. The vocals however are a little dry. I know how hard it can be to record powerful vocals but feel hesitant because of your surroundings.

Freezing Hands
Very low key song. And kind of unremarkable. But also fluid and smooth. I'm stuck between liking and not liking it. Maybe if it kicked into another gear at the end, it would be great. Just a thought.

Hostess Mostess
Love the vocal range on this! Lyrics actually tell a story instead of feeling like they were placeholder'd in to fit the Fight. This is a must vote. Great job!

Hot Pink Halo
This beat is amazing. I'm partial to female vocals too so I dig this. Drums in a few parts kind of drown out the words though. Also a must vote!

Jeff Desantis
This is radio ready (in a good way). Vocals are mostly smooth. Backing track is a little simple but it works. A gem in the 'easy listening' station. Vote.

J$
So, your song wouldn't load for me. Interested to know if it's that way for everyone or just me? I streamed the playlist to do these reviews.

Pannacotta Army
"I'm just trying to impress you" You did. This is more my taste of music. I loved the solo. Nothing I can find to nitpick here. Obvious vote.

Rone Rivendale
First song in several months. I think it fits the music I've been doing since my 'comeback' last year. I'm ready for the mixing crits and the 'plosive crits. I'm voting for myself because duh, but I understand there's better music this fight. :)

Single Pint...
This is going to sound hypocritical since it's actually 12 seconds longer than my songg, BUT I wish this was about twice as long. What's here is amazing. Full of energy and magic. Still a vote.
From spoken word to actual singing, I can screw up any style with style. :D
crumpart
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Fuzz
Submitting as: Hot Pink Halo
Pronouns: She/her

Post by crumpart »

Thanks for doing reviews! I plan to sit down and do some on the weekend when I’ve had a couple more listens.
Devil’s got me Lindt! Devil’s got me Lindt!
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

rone rivendale wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:04 pm
J$
So, your song wouldn't load for me. Interested to know if it's that way for everyone or just me? I streamed the playlist to do these reviews.
It's working for me but if anybody else has issues please let me know so we can try to figure out what is going on.

Also thanks Rone for writing reviews!
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

Blue Hyrda:
The beat and instrumentation here are very cool. One of my favourites just in terms of ...vibe at least, but the "lyrics" are a real cop out. Just repeating the title over and over again is on the lazy side, IMO. (I'm aware that some people don't care about lyrics, apparently. I'm not one of those people.) I really liked this the first time I listened to it, but on repeat it loses its shine.

Chris Club and the Cabin Fodder:
Love the guitar tracks. The vocals are come in a touch hot. The off kilter doubling is a bit rough to listen to; I'd like those to line up more neatly. The experimentation with panning on the lyrics is unusual but interesting. This is very short. It sounds like the start of a song that you could maybe workshop a bit more.

The Freezing Hands:
That staticky beat at the start is fun. There's something happening with the mix where the volume of that sounds great, but then the lyrics hit and everything drops right down in volume. I enjoy all the instrumentation but the lyrics sound like a first draft and are a a bit lacking in effort for my liking. Cool sounding song in general though.

Hostess Mostess:
Lovely tone on those vocals. It'd be cool to hear this a bit faster and more energetic. That little instrumental break is pretty fun.

Hot Pink Halo:
This is me, with a song about our local racist, conspiracy theory addled bee keeper, who consistently seems to post left wing quotes on social media to justify her growing fascism. Also she has never once un-soured her facial expression or acknowledged me when I've smiled at her dog while out walking. Probably knows I'm an immigrant. Contains real live flute samples recorded through my vocoder pedal, which was immensely fun. My flute's name is Leon the Unprofessional. I bought it in France 10 years ago. I'm going to Paris in two weeks; what souvenir instrument should I buy this time?

Jeff DeSantis:
The lift on the chorus (pre-chorus? it doesn't quite feel entirely like a chorus with "but it all adds up to nothing" as a refrain line) is very swish. I like this one a lot. Grows with multiple listens.

Johnny Cashpoint:
Wait, has someone else done the Optional Challenge!!!?! Maybe I'm just daft, but I think this is the first song other than mine that I've heard a flute on! I like the beat and guitars on this quite a lot. The song itself doesn't really seem to stick with me, not sure why, could be genre bias, could be because the vocals are recorded/mixed in a way that buries them and makes them a bit difficult to parse.

The Pannacotta Army:
I love everything about this except the lyrics. I realise the title of this fight kind of boxes us in a bit to a particular perspective or bent, but the lyrics feel too much like "yucking someone else's yum", for want of a better term. Plus I just very much like Almodovar and, unrelated to that, am thrown for a loop every time I hear the kind of strange pronunciation of his name at the start there.

Rone Rivendale:
You know that you're popping, so it feels redundant for me to say it here, but, oof, those pops! We have some terrible, incredibly cheap microphones at our local open mic. They're very difficult not to pop on, so I've bought a couple for home (literally €12.30 each) and have been practicing my mic technique on them. I find that setting the mic a little lower than my mouth and singing over the top of it from a slight angle is an improvement. Love the little "are you ready? ok" intro part.

Single Pint of Failure:
That little bassline walk up. Chef's kiss. If I were to change anything I'd remix the vocals to be a little warmer and I would also force you to sit down and write the rest of the song.
the panna cotta army
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: egg shaker
Recording Method: Studio One/Mac
Submitting as: the pannacotta army
Pronouns: He he he

Post by the panna cotta army »

crumpart wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:40 am
Plus I just very much like Almodovar
Actually I'm a big fan too and have several of his DVDs - it doesn't bother me that lyrics adhere to personal views.
I've always pronounced his name like that...I guess I've never heard it spoken out loud before.
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

crumpart wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:40 am
Single Pint of Failure:
That little bassline walk up. Chef's kiss. If I were to change anything I'd remix the vocals to be a little warmer and I would also force you to sit down and write the rest of the song.
1. I knew the disco bass would woo you
2. I'm trying to build my own vocal chain instead of using Logic presets, and appreciate the feedback, thanks.
3. Yeah I know, I just had a thing in my head I needed to get rid of, and only a few hours to do it in. I would like to come back to this though and make it complete.

Thank you and Rone for taking time to write reviews, I was speaking to Sir Galahad the other day he said you two were the best people in a long time.
.sig
Lunkhead
You're No Good

Post by Lunkhead »

Single Pint of Failure wins!
gizo
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: i am mostly playing stringed ones, but I'll have a tilt at most
Recording Method: my method is to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. My wall is made of Logic on an old iMac
Submitting as: gizo : rackwagon (with Toshiro) : Late Heavy Bombardment : Stacking Theory

Post by gizo »

Wait, what!?
.sig
crumpart
Ice Cream Man

Post by crumpart »

OMG Giz! Congrats! You definitely have to finish the song now. 😜