SpinTunes online songwriting contest subforum
BoffoYux
Panama
Instruments: Keys, Clunking, SFX and Strings
Recording Method: Audacity, Adobe, and other 'A' titled software
Submitting as: Boffo Yux Dudes

SpinTunes 22 - Meet the Contestants

Post by BoffoYux »

The SpinTunes 22 sign-up deadline has passed, the first challenge has been posted, and the contestants have now begun toiling to write and record their Round 1 songs. But who are these brave contestants? 44 artists and bands have a shot at becoming SpinTunes 22 Champion.
Continue reading to meet them!

Berkeley Social Scene

Bobby Frank

Boffo Yux Dudes

BYD is currently a triumpvarant from the Chicago, Boston and LA metro areas, using the internet to cast their vile and nefarious musings upon an unsuspecting world since 1986. At least they think so while they nap on their Lay-z-Boys and try to dream of electric sheep.
We're back to astound and amuse you for SpinTunes #22! with our various comrades to attempt to amuse you while being true to our Dr. Demento like, devil may care attitude about current affairs and EZ Cheese on a mock Ritz cracker.
Once again, if anyone posts an email to us at boffoyux at gmail.com, we will send you something interesting audiowise if you use the subject line 'Again? You stiffed us again and again the last time'. Maybe I'll send 3 things if we did stiff you. Or I'm just lulling you into a false sense of security...
YouTube | Website | Blog | Bandcamp | Twitter | Facebook

Brett Glass
Brett Glass is an inventor, engineer, author, computer hacker, amateur radio operator, composer, and madcap multi-instrumentalist based in Laramie, Wyoming. When he's not climbing roofs and radio towers to provide rural residents with high speed microwave Internet service (he started the first wireless ISP many years ago), he is a frequent performer at bluegrass, science fiction, literary, and comedy music gatherings.

Cairo Braga
Cairo Braga started making music right after their 12th birthday. Their father gave them a new computer and they discovered an intriguing software called Fruity Loops. This happened in 2002 and since then they've been teaching themself on music, production and overall sound/audio processes. With a boost from their years in college while getting a bachelor's degree in Image & Sound at the Federal University of São Carlos, they are now an independent artist who decided to make it for themself, aiming for self-expression through any art form they can reach and execute. They've been doing FAWM since 2014 but 2024 is their 1st attempt at SpinTunes.
Linktree

Cavedwellers

Chamomileon

Hoping to be a band, not a solo project this year.

Cheslain

Rockstar of my living room, mainly operating in bluesy rocky folky proggy music.
Bandcamp

chewmeupspitmeout
Hey, I'm Dan from Medway (around 30 miles away from London) and this is my fourth go on the Spintunes merry-go-round. I've been a regular Fawmer (sailingmagpie) and Nur Ein competitor for years. Previously, I released stuff as The Serviettes and I've recently formed a 60s psych/garage rock band called Strobe Light Fist Fight.
Instagram | Spotify

Cybronica

Cybronica is a veteran of the Spintunes, SongFight!, and Nur Ein competitions. They have competed with multiple groups, most commonly with Mandibles, and have served twice as judge for Spintunes. Excited to jump back in as a competitor, Cybronica is ready to bring it with their classic vocal-focused sound.
Instagram

never stop experimenting

dotuXil
dee microtones
new to lyrics and singing
YouTube | Bandcamp

Dream Bells
TikTok

Eric Novak

Falcon Artist

Friendly Wolves

Hailing from South Bend, Indiana, Angelica Frausto and Andrew Corporon create music that mixes the raw intensity of grunge and the sultry subtlety of bossa nova. They have two cats and a toddler.
Instagram | Bandcamp

Giraffes for Wings

Giraffes for Wings is one English teacher and a little spare time.
Bandcamp

Glen Raphael
Glen Raphael is just some guy, you know?
Bandcamp

glennny

Gorbzilla

Gorbzilla is getting grey, but is still rocking, and not always in a chair. His day job is waving his arms in front of children with noise makers, but he also spends time playing in a band, reading comic books, and watching bad movies. The Gorbzookies are grown, but Gorbzilla hopes his offspring can contribute to some tunes again soon.
Bandcamp

Governing Dynamics
Here once again with my little sad/angry songs and using more fuzz on my guitar than is probably technically necessary.
Bandcamp

Hot Pink Halo
All chorus all the time.
Website | Bandcamp

Hutch
"bio"? Yes, I'm alive

Ironbark
I am genuinely delighted every time Peter Lorre comes on screen.
Bandcamp

Jeff Walker
Four chords & the sometimes complicated truth. Amateur singer-songwriter type with Country/Americana leanings, a Georgia accent and whiskey marinated vocal cords, but too ancient to claim any kind of clever and original artist name. My third go at a Spintunes contest and aspiring to survive at least a round or two.
Soundcloud

Jordan Carroll
Occasional competitor, back to occasionally compete.

Joy Sitler
Joy plays a bunch of instruments and writes, records, and performs with Brain Weasels and My Broken Demo Tape. They also perform with My Own Desert Island.

Lucky Witch & the Righteous Ghost
We have been playing since 2016 and have 3 studio albums out. We do the grungy thing, the twinkly thing, the creepy thing, and the weird thing. Nivs plays guitar and sings, Brookes plays Omnichord and sings, Eric plays bass, and Jay plays drums. We are an acquired taste and a love it or hate it kind of a deal. We're cool with that. Some quotes by other people: "Jefferson Airplane meets the Cramps" and "Kraut rock meets They Might Be Giants".
Instagram | Bandcamp

Menage a Tune

I like to make up songs and I like to sing.. Sometimes I am fortunate and find a partner who can assist me. I have skipped a few Spintunes, but will try to create something to match the challenges this time!

Ominous Ride
We are merely hairless apes fiddling with a series of complex devices, trying to make sounds that extract and celebrate our irrevocable self-loathing.
Bandcamp

Rob Lyon

A funny guy that writes silly songs, from the Midwest USA.
Linktree

see-man-ski
Somehow, don't ask me how, I managed to win spintunes 19. Feel like throwing my hat back in again to see how much of a fluke this actually was. Since ST19 I decided to actually learn piano and have since got my grade 4 in ABRSM. Still can't sight read though, and loath it big time.
Bandcamp

Sober
A Texan in Maine. Upbeat music with depressing lyrics.
This will be his fifth time losing the SpinTunes competition.
Soundcloud

Stacking Theory
It's Sad Beach Music all the way down

SunLite
SunLite is husband, a father to two wonderful kids (3 and 6 years old) and an elementary music teacher, private instructor for tuba, and works a high school marching band program as an assistant director working primarily with the contras, pit percussion, and the program's sound design team.
SunLite has spent most of his time as a bassist in various bands including the styles of hard rock, metal, ska, and alternative and enjoys working with other artists on bringing their work to life.

Temnere
POWER METAL FROM OK
Bandcamp

thanks, brain
thanks, brain is a group of ADHD musicians whose respective brains often doggedly stand in the way of getting things done. thanks, brain.
Bandcamp

The Alleviators
Beka (vox/keys) and Travis (guitars of regular and bass variety) have prepared the following statement:
Two years ago, we wrote and released a song that could be interpreted as pro-AI. We deeply regret this error and the betrayal of our fellow humans against the looming automated menace. We have taken a seat and are listening and (hopefully) learning. Thank you for your understanding during these trying times.
Bandcamp

The Dutch Widows

The Dutch Widows is an increasingly baffling attempt to prove something to someone, but what and to who are not clear and are possibly unimportant anyway. Not Dutch and not a widow.
Bandcamp

The Moon Bureau
shoegazey dreampop vibes

The Pannacotta Army
Hi, I’m Tim and I live in Kent in the UK. I used to sing and play in bands years ago but now I make music on my own mostly and put it out on the internet as a hobby under the name The Pannacotta Army. I have a weakness for nice guitars and I own too many. I mainly write on acoustic guitar and though I try not to bind myself to one genre, I do tend to lean towards melodic pop.
I’ve entered the last two Spintunes. This one comes straight off the back of a hectic FAWM so I hope I’ll still have some fuel left in the tank.
Bandcamp | Song Fight

The Popped Hearts
just me in my basement making noise, have been described among other things as "they might be giants covering blink-182" and "a little pitchy"
Bandcamp

West of Vine
Boston-based 4 piece alt-country band, but for purposes of this contest likely a solo affair. Three Chords and The Truth, where "Truth" is an IPA from Rhinegeist Brewing, conveniently found two blocks.... west of Vine Street in Cincinnati.
Instagram

Winterloper
Based in the US. Long time listener, first time contestant. Ready to rock n' roll! :)

https://spintunescontest.blogspot.com/2 ... tants.html