Hostess Mostess is (kind of) moving to Houston!

Links and other hanky panky that doesn't have to do with anything in particular.
Mostess
Panama
Instruments: Vocal, guitar, keyboard, clarinet
Recording Method: Ardour 5, JACK, Ubuntu
Submitting as: Hostess Mostess
Pronouns: He/him

Hostess Mostess is (kind of) moving to Houston!

Post by Mostess »

Hey which if any of our SongFight! crew lives in the Houston area? I am taking a job there starting this summer. I'll be back and forth between Texas and Michigan, but I'd love to meet up with any Houston-based fighters for a jam or a collab or a beer or a game.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Hostess Mostess is (kind of) moving to Houston!

Post by Sober »

I moved from there to Maine two years ago this month. What part of town? I've lived in the Heights, Med Center, Downtown, Pearland, Energy Corridor... moved around a lot in 8 years. I don't know of any other songfighters in the area; most of the Texas contingent was always Austin-based, with Wreckdom, Hell Yeahs, 1516, Abominominous etc (I think those are correct, or were at one time?).

I'm still connected with parts of the music scene there (mostly country). I can recommend studios, and local artists/venues worth checking out.

What you should do though is move to Maine 🤠
🤠
Mostess
Panama

Post by Mostess »

Sober wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:14 am
I moved from there to Maine two years ago this month. What part of town? I've lived in the Heights, Med Center, Downtown, Pearland, Energy Corridor... moved around a lot in 8 years. I don't know of any other songfighters in the area; most of the Texas contingent was always Austin-based, with Wreckdom, Hell Yeahs, 1516, Abominominous etc (I think those are correct, or were at one time?).

I'm still connected with parts of the music scene there (mostly country). I can recommend studios, and local artists/venues worth checking out.

What you should do though is move to Maine 🤠
Cool! My job is in Med Center so I want to live within transit distance. Maybe Montrose, or Museum District? I have time to figure it out.
And we will definitely be partly living in Michigan (which has a very Maine-like part).
My mom's side are all down-easterners! Hope Maine treats you very well.
"We don’t write songs about our own largely dull lives. We mostly rely on the time-tested gimmick of making shit up."
-John Linnell
Sober
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Mandolin, hammond, dobro, banjo
Recording Method: Pro Tools
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Sober »

Those are both great places to be if you can afford it. I was fully car-pilled, so I never once used any of the mass transit options, but I understand that bus and rail are both quite good on the west side of the city. Uber/lyft coverage is excellent - you’ll have no problem getting a ride inside the beltway 24/7. If you’re going downtown, it’ll likely be cheaper and easier to uber than to drive and find/pay for parking.

Enjoy the food. The only thing I miss about Houston is living in the #1 food city in America (fight me), and having access to much of that food late night. Things around here shut down around 6pm for the most part. You’ll also be near some incredibly breweries.

Oh, Houston is famously micro-fractured as far as like… dangerous neighborhoods go. So “med center” can mean hi-end living, or it can mean zombieland. Shoot me an address before you sign a lease and I’ll give you a 👍👎😆
🤠
Mostess
Panama

Post by Mostess »

Sober wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:49 pm
Oh, Houston is famously micro-fractured as far as like… dangerous neighborhoods go. So “med center” can mean hi-end living, or it can mean zombieland. Shoot me an address before you sign a lease and I’ll give you a 👍👎😆
Will do! I walked around a lot and took the Red Line up and down. Midtown was very much like that: one block cool, the next block sketch. I took lots of detailed notes.

I'll also hit you up for any music recommendations: venues, open mic nights, local bands, etc. Thanks for the wisdom!
-John Linnell