Go ahead, get it off your chest.
jack
Hot for Teacher
Recording Method: ProTools, Logic, Garageband
Submitting as: brody, Jack Shite, Johnny in the Corner, Bloody Hams, lots more

Karl Rove

Post by jack »

is a lying sack of shit.

put your money where your mouth is Dubya and fire him.
Hi!
Me$$iah
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: I just bought a 12 string and a stratocaster with a whammy bar
Recording Method: Sonic-Core
Submitting as: infrequently as ever

Post by Me$$iah »

Karl Rove a liar?? really??
I am so surprised, I mean he takes part in that great bastion of the truth (politics), doesnt he??
Well I leave this thread, shocked and stunned.
I mean a politition telling lies----I just cant believe it.

Just trying out some sarcasm on the internet...see if it really does get mis-interperated
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

martha stewart lied and went to jail. for far less than what he's lied about.

quid pro quo.
Hi!
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

jack wrote:martha stewart lied and went to jail. for far less than what he's lied about.

quid pro quo.
What's he lied about now?

(brief summary or link please?)
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8545657/
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162227,00.html

(I like the 2nd one 'cause it's FOX news ... Anti-Bush Administration stories on FOX mean Rove's really in trouble.)
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

NBC's Tim Russell looks like he's swallowed an owl.

j$
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Down in flames! He is the embodiment of everything Orwellian. Our country will be so much the better for having him gone.
Henrietta
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Guitar, Bass, Vox, Kazoo
Recording Method: None
Submitting as: Quimby, Nouveau Pauvre
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Henrietta »

According to Molly Ivins, Karl Rove built George W. Bush. If you want Rove fired, don't get your hopes up- he'd probably sooner divorce Laura. My money says Bush will only give him the boot if the Republican congress raises such a stink that Karl Rove himself advises him to do it.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

i completely agree with you henrietta. there's no way bush fires rove. absolutely no way. of course that makes him a lying sack of shit as well, but most of us already knew that anyways.

add one more lie to the bush legacy.
Hi!
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

The point isn't to actually fire Rove (though it would be nice). The point is to call for it until our lungs are sore, because it's probably the most just move at this point. And it won't happen. That's almost as good as if it did.

Besides, Karl Rove is basically Obi Wan Kenobi. If you fire him, he will <i>become more powerful than you could possibly imagine</i>. Okay, maybe not quite, but keep in mind that an unofficial position up the president's bum is nearly as good as an official one.
My money says Bush will only give him the boot if the Republican congress raises such a stink that Karl Rove himself advises him to do it.
Let's not hold our breath. The current media balance is such that pretty much anyone in the establishment has plausible deniability toward anything, if not in fact, then at least in the public eye. Watergate could happen today with very little backlash on the party. Every complaint, even the most legitimate, can somehow be characterized as biased spin. It's amazing, really. I remember people laughed about how Clinton was bulletproof by the end of his terms, but there's really no comparison. Something legitimate <i>could</i> have shot him down, but there's nothing short of a serious murder allegation that could put Bush into strong popular disfavor among his base. He's like some kind of Protestant American Pope at this point.
(It's ASL for "cow".)
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

Here's a well-written primer on the whole affair: http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/001356.html
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

abecedarian wrote:Down in flames! He is the embodiment of everything Orwellian. Our country will be so much the better for having him gone.
Orwellian. Thats an interesting word

Welcome to Oceania people. Who's our enemy today? Eurasia or Eastasia? Osama Bin Goldstein is still at large - time for the 3-minute-hate.

Old George will be chuckling in his grave. All animals are equal - but some are more equal than others
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

Dude, what was that, a medley?

It's only moderately accurate. Big Scary Government as Orwell saw it failed to account for the stupidity of man and the general inability of more than three people to ever agree on anything at once. Hanlon's razor comes to mind. Calling <i>bad</i> government Orwellian is giving it an awful lot of credit (unless, of course, you're being atypical and referring to <i>Animal Farm</i>, heh).

From what I can see, Rove is a master of politics. He turned an fish-tongued upper-class nitwit into a somehow-charismatic demagogue, and helped to reorganize events most favorable to the party into those that were topical. But really, he's just a tool--not a tool of effective government, but a tool of effective politics. All he can win for the Republicans is an election.
(It's ASL for "cow".)
mico saudad
Mean Street

Post by mico saudad »

Moderately accurate? Dude. An Orwellian government is all about bending and spinning objective truth and engaging in any means necessary to suit the designs of those in power. There is nothing moderate in Rove's, and this government's, inclination to do that. The only thing that currently prevents our entire government from being completely perverted are the checks and balances. That doesn't mean that an entire branch of government can't be perfectly well described as Orwellian.

On a side note, where is the outrage over lack of transparency in our government. Why do we accept that people in power hide the truth or lie to us. Are we only allowed to demand the truth when we have dmaning proof of corruption? The majority of Americans believe that Bush has deceived us about many things, but where is the outrage?

You guys are right though on second thought, no way Rove's getting fired. I'm way to optimistic about damning proof coming out and burning him alive.

He may not be a traitor for leaking the name of a CIA agent, but he is worse than a traitor for selling out the basic values of a democracy and then running a government that claims morality. All with a knowing smirk towards the bewildered herd. It makes me want to vomit.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

abecedarian wrote:On a side note, where is the outrage over lack of transparency in our government. Why do we accept that people in power hide the truth or lie to us. Are we only allowed to demand the truth when we have dmaning proof of corruption? The majority of Americans believe that Bush has deceived us about many things, but where is the outrage?
I think most people aren't bothered by the secrecy because if it's not in their face they don't have to think about it. Those who are bothered by a lack of transparency will always be in the minority because of this tendency.

It's almost (but not quite) like a parent whose daughter comes home in the morning in a wrinkled, torn prom dress. "Where have you been!? Wait, don't tell me, I don't want to know." The twist is that the government is more like the parent. Or maybe it's like a spouse who lets the other partner handle all the finances.

In any case, that's my theory. They don't care about not knowing because they don't *want* to know in the *first* place. :)
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
sparks
Push Comes to Shove

Post by sparks »

I agree that people don't <i>want</i> to know, but I'd say that most of the time it's not because they're afraid of the consequences (as in the prom dress example) so much as because they'd just rather not have to think about it. Given a simple, relatively happy answer and one more realistic, more complicated, somewhat darker, I think people tend to go for the former.

On top of that, you've got a large portion of the population that approves of the deception, whether overtly or otherwise, whether recognized even to themselves, and considers it valuable as a means to an end.

As for Orwell, Big Brother was deceptive, sure, and so is the administration--but then most government is, in some way or another. Some forms of deception are pretty benign, and others are pretty nasty. My main dispute with the 1984 comparison (aside from the cliche) is that we're dealing with a disorganized group whose main purpose is self-perpetuation. That's where 1984 fails as a work of political fiction: everything is incredibly, incredibly perfect. Deterministic. The real world isn't so fond of perpetual motion machines, and there's no perfect, sinister autocracy.

One thing I said may not be accurate: the people in power are very concerned with self-preservation of the establishment, but a good many probably have some misguided sense of righteousness. I guess whoever was <i>really</i> in charge in Orwell's universe probably had similar motivations, just as Stalin and Hitler surely did (not to make any overly-deep comparisons, thanks). Maybe what I really dispute is the comic-sinister impression left whenever talking about "Orwellian politics". Everyone has his own spin; these guys are just a bit less than tactful in the implementation. If you can see through it, it's probably not that Orwellian.
(It's ASL for "cow".)
Caravan Ray
bono
bono

Post by Caravan Ray »

1984 was a satire. What is disturbing is that much of the political climate that prompted him to write that is still with us today.
If George was still around, he'd now be sewing up a movie deal for "1984 - The Next Generation"
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

was watching a stupid morning debate show this morning and the republicans have already effectively blocked Rove from this bullet. Apparently no law was broken in reference to the identity leak of the special agent. It, and I'm only going by the argument given (and without homework), isn't illegal to reveal the identity of an agent if they are not overseas or something. Agent had been back in mainland USA for five years so there was no risk or danger.

Move on, nothing to see here...moooooooOOOOOoooooo
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I heard Karl Rove likes to poop and then smell his own poop.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

WeaselSlayer wrote:I heard Karl Rove likes to poop and then smell his own poop.
well, apparently dubya's nickname for him is "turd blossom"
Hi!
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

Cuz he sniffs it like a rose.
jack
Hot for Teacher

Post by jack »

a "turd blossom" is apparently a flower that grows out of cow patties in texas.

texans sure have dumb nicknames for each other.
Hi!