There can be only one.
Niveous
Beat It
Instruments: vocals, songwriting, guitar
Submitting as: Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Niveous »

Denyer wrote:
Niveous wrote:Denyer: What's with the British accent?
I don't know. I guess I just picked it up living in a British nation for the past 20 years.
I just had never noticed it before on your songs. Perhaps I wasn't listening close enough.
"I'd like to see 1984 redubbed with this in the soundtrack."- Furrypedro.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Lucky Witch and the Righteous Ghost
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

One Glenn (me) to another (Case) -- great song! Love that bouncy bassline. boom-boom-boom-boom- 8)
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
Kamakura
Panama
Instruments: Drums, Guitar, Keys, Howling
Recording Method: LogicPro on a clapped out Mac, or Studio One on PC
Submitting as: Kamakura
Pronouns: he/him/idiot

Post by Kamakura »

deshead wrote:Kamakura: Eff, link isn't working for me. I'll try again later.
one too many http's
this works
http://www.kamakura.co.uk/nurein/kamakura_pmi.mp3
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

https://kamakura.bandcamp.com
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff
Pronouns: he/him

Post by ken »

Hey All,

I am finally getting to listening to everyone's songs. Overall, there is some really great work being done. I think Tex Beaumont and the Dirty Hearts is the overlooked gem right now, and I encourage you to take another listen. Those Ba Ba Bas are tight. Really a great song there pal.

Be well,
Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

Kamakura wrote:
deshead wrote:Kamakura: Eff, link isn't working for me. I'll try again later.
one too many http's
this works
http://www.kamakura.co.uk/nurein/kamakura_pmi.mp3
And you did tell me about this error earlier because...? Fixed.
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
bwell
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
Instruments: guitar, piano, bass, mandolin
Submitting as: The BeWells

Post by bwell »

Here are some of my thoughts and comments on the songs (in reverse alphabetical order):

Wreckdom - In the songfight landscape, the Wreckdom sound for me is right on the edge. This one is easily on the listenable side and I kind of liked it. I love the back and forth vocal approach. It could have used a bit more lyrically for me, but the sound is good and fun with nice production as usual.

Thornberry - I love so many of the elements that go into this song. Overall I definitely like it, but a few bits here and there don't quite work for me. This has a great classic feel to it. The instrumentation is good with some tasteful playing. I'm not so much a fan of that vocal quavering style, but your voice otherwise has a great tone and quality. The "how can my mind be made up today" part is my least favorite. With a bit more work and tightening up (especially intonation in some spots) this would probably be my favorite of the bunch. And I love that quiet ending with the repeated "pencil me in".

Tex Beaumont and the Dirty Hearts - I was expecting more twang with that name, but whatever this is works out alright. The sound is good and fun and the repetitive chorus bits fit in nicely with this style. This Tex guy is certainly a welcome addition to the mix.

Svën Müllët - Overall, this one is currently my favorite. Everything with the sound mixes together so well. Nice guitar playing and I especially love the bass tone. I also love the chorus lyrics. Great job all around.

Steuym - I generally like it. The guitars and sound maybe have a bit too much harshness and more live sounding drums would be good, but that doesn't really take away from enjoying the song. As usual, I like the accent here and nice decision on going with the twin guitar thing.

Sausage Boy - I feel like I'm not catching something with this song and the repetition. But the sound is pretty good. Not quite my style, but it's alright...I loved the hand claps.

Ross Durand - The sound on the claps (that phased sort of thing) is a bit distracting, however, I generally like this one. Building the instrumentation helps to add some nice variety and keeps things interesting throughout the song. The held notes are also a great touch.

Remiss - This doesn't work for me. The bar for nerdcore has been set much higher in previous songfight entries. Everything is a little too weak in the delivery and production, but at least it is short.

Octothorpe - While this has some nice touches and that unmistakable sound, it's not one of my favorites Octothorpe songs. I did particularly like the vocal delivery and the sound and playing of the synth. It's also nice that someone used the applause option for handclapping.

Noah McLaughlin - I liked the guitars on this song. This has a nice somber quality to it. The distraction for me is the effect used on the vocal. I like the lyric idea, but I'm not sure that I ever really connect with lyrics. After about three minutes it does start to feel a little drawn out.

Leaf 62 - I typically cannot get into that ska vibe, but this works well with the mix of rhythms and heavy guitars. Everything is pretty nicely done on this one...drums, guitars, vocals. Fun song and well done.

Ken - The acoustic and claps sound great. I'm not connecting with the song itself much, but it is nicely done.

Kamakura - This song has a little too much repetition for my tastes. I like the sound of the "pencil me in" part, but it leaves me wanting more variety instead of the same little part again and again. Overall I like the idea and the harmony part along with the handclaps. However, the lyrics don't draw me in and the repetition wears too thin before the song comes to a close.

Jolly Roger - Ah, now I get the tuning comments...yeah, take care of that part. Apart from the intonation and the sterile drums, the song itself isn't too bad. Nice vocal harmonies on the "ooo" sections. Keep working on the instrumentation and production.

Jim Tyrrell - I'm not so much a fan of plugged in acoustics and the electronic sounding rhythm, but the song is fairly tight and nicely constructed. Good work on this one, it's a solid song and is well performed.

Heuristics Inc. - This is a nice change from the typical guitar based songs here. The vocal effect isn't quite working for me, but the music otherwise sounds good.

Glenn Case - I really like the instrumentation and performance on this one. The song is pretty strong. I would like to hear the vocals done a little more cleanly, but overall this is a great effort.

Deshead - So much has already been said and I'd pretty much only be repeating that. Everything is done so solidly, it's a level that will be hard to surpass...another great song. I particularly liked the country feel of this one.

MC Paul Denyer And The Coaliton Against A Segregated Nation - This is decent for songfight rap. I like the delivery and accent. This is one of those styles I cannot properly appreciate, but this one comes off alright.

Calfborg - I like the feel of this one. The strings samples worked fine for me. I'm normally not that keen to vocal effects, but I think it helps a bit in this case. Nice little interlude there with the sample-like vocal sounds.

Bjam - This isn't too bad considering the last minute effort. Basically, this one needs a lot of cleanup. There's a bit too much sloppiness in the guitar playing and some vocal frequencies that could be tamed down (some de-essing in particular). I do like the lyrical take with the dance card, but I was kind of getting lost in following the lyrics while listening to the song.

The BeWells (that'd be me) - I wrote the lyrics with a different feel in mind and was going to take this in more of a country direction until I started trying out the harmony parts. Thanks for all of the comments. Pretty much all of the critiques touch upon the things I would have liked to revisit if there had been more time to refine the song. I double tracked every vocal except the bass (yes, too croaky in parts and I ran out of time to fix/hide all of that) and there is also an extra quieter pair on the lead vocal hard panned one to each side...so four vocal parts with nine tracks. When I started recording on Monday it rained all night and the sound bled into everything I tried to do. I finally gave up and opened a window to record the ambient rain so it had some sort of consistency, and it turned out to fit with the first line I had written. By the time I finished recording on Tuesday night I had a completely new set of rainless vocal takes but forgot to go back and try it all without the rain track.

Favorites: Deshead, Glenn Case, Leaf 62, Sven Mullet, and Thornberry
nyjm
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: acoustic guitar, electric guitar, synth, various MIDI instruments
Recording Method: Reaper, Line 6 POD, GLS Audio 57 and 58
Submitting as: noah mclaughlin, Ford's Theater Disaster, Juliet's Happy Dagger

Post by nyjm »

i'm so getting my ass kicked this round. it's been nice knowing you all... :-)

the bewells
+++ the vocal harmonies are just amazing; i am envious +++
--- sometimes the guitars seem out of rythm; the mandolin solo is too entative ---

bjam
/// rushed, but we all knew that; this just needs to be tightened up ///
--- there's something rather plastic-y about you guitar tone ---
+++ love your voice, as always +++

calfborg
+++ smooth opening grove +++
+++ subtle use of handclaps, very nice +++
+++ this sounds like it should be on the soundtrack for a david lynch film +++

MC Paul Denyer et al
/// proficient, even really good rap, but there's no really good hook here ///

deshead
+++ just awesome all around; love the tones on every instrument and the lead guitar fills +++
/// this is kind of formulaic deshead, though; i think its your vocal harmonies that i've heard in many of your other tunes ///

glenn case
/// so did you reference simon and garfunkel's "ceclia" on purpose? the bouncing pass and the vox harmonies remind me soooo much of that song. but it's all good - i love that song ///
+++ the break at 1:07 is awesome +++

heuristics inc.
+++ i love the percussion that bounces around from every possible angle +++
/// maybe this could rock out more/be a little darker; there's some unrealized tension in the hook ///

jim tyrrell
+++ great laid-back feel +++
--- the guitar tone is somewhat flat; not out of tune, just inorganic ---
+++ the keyboard part is a nice touch +++

jolly roger
+++ a very fine job with the drum programming; you milk every last bit out of hammerhead. could you program some drums for me sometime? +++
--- a much less proficient job on the guitar; for a drummer, you have some odd rhythm problems ---
--- your vox are often too muddy ---

kamakura
+++ very "medulla" of you; i love the all-organic concept +++
--- there's a little to much repetition, though; this tune needs some more variation ---

ken
+++ nice guitar tone +++
/// i don't know how i feel about the double-vox; it's a nice tone, but it's also kind of distracting ///

leaf 62
+++ love the guitar riff; almost ska +++
+++ and then the chorus busts out the rock n' roll; awesome +++

noah mclaughlin
/// it's no defense, but i'm almost in the same boat as bjam; i had about 3 hours tops to whip this together on saturday afternoon ///
+++ the vocal melody and guitar bit are modeled after leonard cohen, actually: "famous blue raincoat" +++
--- i suck at handclaps; the song would be better without them ---
/// i used the telephone vox and panning in the first two verses to give the effect of dueling voice messages; this song is about longing and disconnect ing ///

octothorpe
+++ what awesome fun; i especially like the speaking part/dialogue +++
--- the beginning is kind of confused; once the chorus kicks, the song develops a better flow ---

remiss
--- not really clever ---
--- lack of engaging rhythm ---

ross durand
+++ i'm always a fan your stuff; this just maintains your cred. great story/scenario, great guitar tone +++
/// you might overuse the handclaps here ///

sausage boy
+++ cool bass groove +++
--- repetitive ---
/// creepy/cool ending///

stueym
+++ rock! +++
+++ nice growl in your voice +++
/// could use some more variety in the vox, like some backing for the chorus or something ///

sven mullet
+++ nice clean electric guitar tone; hell, nice tones throughout +++
/// cool riff, but it's kind of generic; the breakdown solo raises the bar, tho ///
+++ i really like the subtle vocal harmonies +++

tex beaumont & the dirty hearts
+++ awesome "baaaabaaabaaabacking vocals +++
+++ definitely the most fun use of hand-claps +++
+++ it's really cool how you get a country-techno vibe for the last third of the song +++

thornberry
+++ someone already said, it, but very beatlesque - and in a good way +++
+++ a lavish and lush arrangement; it's amazing you put this together in only a week +++

wreckdom
+++ classic wreckdom anti-pop; gotta love it +++
+++ awesome water-cooler talk +++
Last edited by nyjm on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You sound like the ghost of David Bowie." - SchlimminyCricket | it was a pleasure to burn | my website | Juliet's Happy Dagger
Niveous
Beat It

Post by Niveous »

The judging is over on the Pencil Me In fight.

Thornberry takes top honors and earns Stage 2 immunity.

Remiss, Noah McLaughlin, Luke Henley, 15-16 Puzzle & Bolio have been eliminated.

<b>The Judges' Scores</b>
Total Points (out of a possible 96):
Thornberry -83
Wreckdom - 82
Leaf - 82
Sven Mullet - 82
Calfborg - 79
Glenn Case - 76
Jim Tyrrell - 69
Tex Beaumont - 68
Deshead - 67
Stueym - 52
Bjam - 48
Sausage Boy - 47
MC Denyer - 46
Ross Durand - 45
Jolly Roger - 43
The BeWells - 42
Kamakura - 41
Octothorpe - 38
Heuristics Inc. - 36
Noah McLaughlin - 34
Remiss - 16
Luke Henley - 0
15-16 Puzzle - 0
Bolio - 0

Juror #1's scores:
Wreckdom - 24
Leaf - 23
Glenn Case - 22
Sausage Boy - 21
Stueym - 20
Sven - 19
Thornberry - 18
Heuristics Inc - 17
Kamakura - 16
Calfborg - 15
# - 14
Bjam - 13
Tex - 12
Denyer - 11
Jim Tyrell - 10
Deshead - 9
Jolly Roger - 8
The Bewells - 7
Ross Durand - 6
Noah - 5
Remiss - 4

Juror #2's scores:
leaf - 24
sven mullet - 23
thornberry - 22
calfborg - 21
deshead - 20
jim tyrrell - 19
tex beaumont - 18
glenn case - 17
the bewells - 16
wreckdom - 15
stuyem - 14
ross durand - 13
denyer - 12
kamakura - 11
bjam - 10
octothorpe - 9
sausage boy - 8
heuristics inc. - 7
noah mclaughlin - 6
jolly roger - 5
remiss - 4

Juror #3's scores:
Calfborg - 24
Thornberry - 23
Tex Beaumont - 22
WreckdoM - 21
deshead - 20
Jim Tyrrell - 19
Leaf 62 - 18
Jolly Roger - 17
Sven Mullet - 16
noah mclaughlin - 15
Glenn Case - 14
Bjam - 13
Ross Durand - 12
stueym - 11
The BeWells - 10
Kamakura - 9
MC Denyer - 8
Sausageboy - 7
Heuristics Inc. - 6
Octothorpe - 5
Remiss - 4

Juror #4's scores:
Sven Mullet - 24
Glenn Case - 23
Wreckdom - 22
Jim Tyrrell - 21
Thornberry - 20
Calfborg - 19
Deshead - 18
Leaf 62 - 17
Tex Beaumont - 16
MC Denyer - 15
Ross Durand - 14
Jolly Roger - 13
Bjam - 12
Sausage Boy - 11
Octothorpe - 10
The BeWells - 9
Noah McLaughlin - 8
Stueym - 7
Heuristics Inc. - 6
Kamarura - 5
Remiss - 4
NUR EIN!
X-Tokyo
Mogosagatai
Mean Street

Post by Mogosagatai »

<b>Leaf 62</b>: Very cool song. Mighta been my favorite if not for kind of out-of-place chorus, which I don’t find very interesting at all. The rest of the song is has this waltzy-tangoish feel to it, which is bizarre for this crunchy rock. Then all of a sudden there’s this played out ZZ-Toppy chorus. But yeah, otherwise excellent song. The doubled vocals, the super-effective claps, the slick changes—excellent.

<b>The BeWells</b>: Very pretty as usual. Your songs are so warm and stringful—they’re like orchestras of gentle plucking/strumming/picking. I don’t like the vocals all that much—they’re a little over-the-top. Well done harmonies, of course, but it’s like you’re gushing out a little more gushiness than this song calls for. Also, that super low vocal is just distracting and a little annoying. I’d probably like this a lot more if there was just one person singing, with maybe some harmonizing near the end for a climactic effect. But yeah, man, keep up all the stringin’.

<b>Jim Tyrrell</b>: Milk for the soul. Or something. The song is quite good, what with that come-and-go piano, but then the “If it was up to me…â€
Last edited by Mogosagatai on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
sausage boy
bono
bono
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Terrible drum machine, even worse harmonica
Recording Method: Creative Recorder, ModPlug Tracker and Audacity

Post by sausage boy »

I only just returned from the place Sausage Boy goes and jumped on the computron to check how this Nur Ein shizz is going.

I am pleased and surprised so many people liked my song, and I feel forfilled that some didn't understand it or hated it. I shall contribute my AUST 5c when i have given all the tunes a listen.
Spud
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Bass, Keyboards, eHorn
Submitting as: Octothorpe

Post by Spud »

Mogosagatai - some good advice there. It shall be heeded.

SPUD
"I only listen to good music. And Octothorpe." - Marcus Kellis
Song Fight! The Rockening
Thornberry
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Recorder,, Vocals, Haromica
Recording Method: M-Powered Pro Tools 8 via Profire 2626
Submitting as: Thornberry

Post by Thornberry »

Ok, soooo sorry I am so late on these reviews...but two weekdays (inmy case two weekend days too) is just not enough time!:)

The Bewells - Pros: Nice stereo acoustic guitar production..with a little rain in the backround (or like someone else said, something cookin) I am surpirsed you got such a low score. I really think this is pretty quality...with some great harmonys.
Cons: It does drone on a bit long, maybe a little variance...besides a little meloncholy guitar solo (which wasnt bad...just added to the drawing on of the song)
The handclaps were: Non-distracting..but were an obvious add on because of the challenge
Summary- I liked it. I think you should have gotten a higher score than you did. But hey, got you through..thats the important part. Lucky this isnt a tournament where you get seeded or anything:)

Bjam - Pros: An interesting chord progression, not cookie-cutter by any stretch of the imagination. Your voice is appealing as always, although there will be a con to it (see below). This sounds like, with some polish, it could be the kinda song that plays at the end of 'Grey Anatomy' or something.
cons - as pleasing as your voice is, you missed quite a few notes..which with such an intimate song is really dangerous of making me tune right out. I think i read you were pressed for time, so kudos for getting it in, just hopefully next fight you can really let your voice shine by singing on key a bit more. It seemed like you were making the melody up as you went...kinda searching for notes sometimes.
The Handclaps were: Ghastly. Very very aware that it was an add-on-cause-you-had-to (as were most people i think...including me) but i think having them go throughout was a little mistake.
Summary: It was an interesting song, and there were parts that were nice, parts that were boring, but i think it will be a fine tune when you work on it some more, which i hope you will

Calfborg- Pros:Diggin the groove this is setting. The vocal effects are a perfect touch, as are all the sounds. The little OOO's are great. Your voice tone is so great for this song. Man, I usually dont even like this stuff..but i was a little dissappointed when it ended! Great job
Cons Man this is hard, lets see...your voice got slightly off pitch at times, um....man..i just cant think of much else. It was really really good.
The Handclaps were: were those handclaps? they sounded like snaps to me. Either way, they were non-abstrusive and went very well with the song actually. They sounded like the belonged
Summary: Awesome

MC....Nation- Pros - I think you accomplished exactly what you wanted to. As for me, I can appreciate it, but have a hard time enjoying it. Accent is pretty cool
Cons - Doing the doubling of the vocals the second half of each phrase is, i think, overused and doeesnt do much to seperate yourself. I thought the bass coulda kicked a bit more...but maybe you didnt want that.
The Handclaps were: Very fake...but obvious enough that it wasnt like you were trying to get away with anything. I think having SOMETHING beat where the handclaps were is a good idea, and in a re-mix id repace the handclaps with another sound.
Summary I wish I could give something more constructive than I have, but overall you kept the flow going well and sounded like you knew what you were doing.

Deshead- Pros - You're deshead. You have a world of talent behind you and you have by far the best production i have heard on this site, as well as one of the better voices. You actually are one of the people that drew me to songfight in the first place (that is, after my initial listen of some of the songs, you kept me coming back).
Cons You remind me of Coheed and Cambria. Not in that you sound like them, its just that they have a pretty unique sound but then they use it to death. You have the same kind of thing, you have a very deshead sound, but every song I have heard you do sounds just like that. Now, this is both viewed as a good thing and a bad thing by some. I see both ways, I really dont know if its really a con, just an observation.
The Handclaps were: Non-obtrusive. Didnt really add much to the song, but the important part for this fight, it didnt take anything away from it either.
Summary You are a songfight, and sidefight, superstar.

Glenn Case Pros - Very Bouncys, very 60's. A good catchy little pop tune. The little break down is a good way to break up the predicability, and it was the perfect length. Very nice work.
cons - I really shouldnt have done this "con" thing. Its really quite hard for some peoples. I guess the con is that it was pretty predictable, but hey, pop songs are suppose to be.
The Handclaps were: I really dont remember them, so they musta been good!
Summary Nice job all around.

Heuristics Inc. Pros I liked how you have seperate rhythem tracks in LR and middle
cons im sorry man, i just found this to be a little bland...didnt have much zest too it.
The Handclaps were: Well placed. Added to the song.
Summary You squeaked by, and I think you can, and think you will, do much better next time

Jim Tyrrell Pros - Very nice feel. Nice Melody choice over a nice set of chords. Adding the bit of piano sound was really nice. The synth hum..it will end up in my cons as well, cause I think it was a good choice, but (see below), the piano solo is a nice play on that keyboard. NIce latin jazzy feel to it. Your voice is spot on.
Cons Just that I thought the synth maybe was a bit much, and woulda been better if used a bit more sparingly
The Handclaps were Disposable, but didnt hurt the song
Summary Extremely nice work, in my top 3 so far

Jolly Roger - Pros - Very musically sound...all sorts of I-IV-V variations. Nothing wrong with that, i dont think, as long as you can do something ineresting on top of it. Which is semi-accomplished here. nice "ooo's" on bottom. Also a good use of stereo. and how your voice goes in and out of effect.
cons of course the out-of-tune guitar is really hard to ignore. Very distracting. Somehow, you gotta do something about that. Maybe for your next song, try something a bit more risky, like going out of such a standard chord progession, just to see what you can do (although it being monday, im sure your song is already written ;))
The handclaps were well placed
SummaryIt was stacked with potential to be a good little indie tune. Not bad work at all.

Kamakura - Pros Good harmonies..sounds like a college acapella band. Words are...interesting.
cons repetitive. Too much of the same.
The Handclaps were totally fitting
Summary not bad not great

Ken - Your songs not working for some reason. I listened a bit early, but dont remeber enough to give a full review. Sorry

Leaf 62 Damn, your isnt working either. I remember thinking yours was outstanding though. So...good job!

Noah McLaughlinpros you got the guitar to sound pretty good
cons very very uninteresting. I have to agree with judges decisions.
The Handclaps were out of place, but not horrible.
Summary Not my favorite

Octothorpe - Pros Cant get much more 80's than this.
Cons The 80's was the worst decade for music since...well maybe ever
The Handclaps wereKinda a cop out
Summary - Read above

OK, you may be noticing may reviews getting shorter and very uninteresting, for this, me and my droopy eyes say :Im sorry!!!!!

actually on second thought...im going to finish the rest tomorrow. They wont be worth anything if i try and keep going to tonight so:
Remiss, Ross Durand, Sausage Boy, Steuym, Sven Mullet, Tex.., and Wreckdom your time will come.......
ken
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, bass, drums, keys
Recording Method: MOTU 828x, Cubase 10
Submitting as: Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff

Post by ken »

I am glad I am not a judge. I finally finished listening to everyone's songs, and I don't know who I would vote off Songfight Island. If the other three folks had submitted, it would have been all the worse.

Good job all! One stand out track after the next.

Ken
Ken's Super Duper Band 'n Stuff - Berkeley Social Scene - Tiny Robots - Seamus Collective - Semolina Pilchards - Cutie Pies - Explino! - Bravo Bros. - 2 from 14 - and more!

i would just like to remind everyone that Ken eats kittens - blue lang
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs

Post by HeuristicsInc »

okay, here are my reviews. sorry about the lateness. it's been awfully busy around here. also, thanks for the suggestions... i think i will revisit my own "pencil" before too long and try out some of the suggestions i got.

with no further ado:

calfborg - hey, this is awesome. this is a case where i hear the song, look at the artist, and say, "whoa, this is calfborg?!?!". awesome. i especially love the backwardsy strings.

wreckdom - goofy and fun. the "iiiiiiiiiiiinn" parts are particularly odd. the lyrics remind me oddly of #.

stueym - some of the lyric lines are a little awkward. "are you scared of pens" ha. is "grasp the nettle" a saying? pretty cool, but maybe the guitar doesn't change enough?

heuristics inc. - mine. given more time i would have changed the chorus to have a couple more syllables here and there. feels a little awkward to me. the solo was the last thing i recorded and i think it adds necessary goofiness to the song. also, so far i don't think anyone else went with the title-double-meaning.

sausage - do you do songfights the same way you do remixfights? i like the rhythmic vocal thing. good keyboards. dunno about the lyrics. music is cool.

tex - bah bah baaaaahhhh. great. "as long as it's convenient" heh. love the blippy thing with the armageddon verse. this song bounces happily toward the cliff's edge. oddly catchy.

ken - your vocals are definitely quality. good, but it doesn't grab mem like it sounds great but i'm not excited about the writing.

bjam - nice. i am a fan of the simple handclaps usage. good voice.

sven - thass some good sounding vox. didn't go with the scheduling route, i see. heh, like the break there. good guitars. not too fond of the fadeout.

deshead - mmm, sounds good. i like how you pause after "i'm so awful." "it's ok" line is kinda awkward. those vocals are very nice sounding.

# - doesn't seem as polished as usual for you. i like the "chorus" section or whatever it is, and the multi-voice thing is working well. fun. some elements seem to be clashing with each other, not enough harmony between elements.

bewells - nice sound. the finger picking is good, and the vocals are especially strong. i want something stringsy in here. something more there. mmm nice ending. good feeling in the lyrics.

denyer - yeah, not too fond in general of the rap-fight ethic, but your flow and rapping are quite good here. i think you've come a long way since i first heard your stuff. good handclaps usage.

glenn - wow, great chorus. vocals sound great. love the rhymes, pen/again, stink/ink this is lotsa fun. awesome.

ross - wow, ticonderoga isn't working rhythmically. it really stands out. i like the held note on "luck" - good stuff. nice song. now that was the acoustic version... heh, ok, here's the real one. the handclaps seem sonically out of place. umm, they sound different from the rest of the sounds. i do like how they kinda get louder and quieter throughout. nice, i like this one better.

noah - yeah, this is awfully quiet. the vocals sound like they're sung over a phone, interesting. ooh nice echoes on the guitar. heh, now the vocals are stronger, that's actually a nice contrast. the vox seem to be overloading a bit nearer the middle. pretty cool. could use a remaster.

remiss - those handclaps are a bit out of time, aren't they? the lan party line is offrhythm... and the vocal is too clean. not bad, though.

thornberry - wow, the opening totally reminds me of some song from the 60's. oh, that swell here at 1:20 is awesome. the boppy feel is cool, but i'm not sure how it works with that swell. i'll wait to hear what else happens here. hmm, this song is definitely cool, but feels a bit disjointed from section to section. the electric guitar's a bit thin.

leaf - whoa, that was only 7 seconds - i think my file is corrupt. ok, got a new copy. ooh, that intro is awesome. hey, i love the vox. i really like the sound! and the vocal cadence... the guitars... this is awesome.

jimt - heh, what a change. almost loungy and a fun feel to this. i like the vocals/piano/guitar/claps all working together. hey, this song is great.

kamakura - hmm, not sure about the breathing and repeated vocal bit. the "pencil me in" i think is too big or it sonically takes over my speakers at work and i have to turn the whole thing down too much. it's pretty cool.

jollyr - vox are a bit low in the mix. this is weird but i'm hearing this being sung on a stage at a high school dance... er, that's not an insult or anything. oooohh oohhhhh is nice, i like that. i also like the change in the second half there. nice. hah, that wheeow! sound was funny and incongruous. ha, funny ending.

favorites: calfborg, hinc, tex, sven, glenn, leaf, jimt

this has definitely been a better listen than the main fights this week :)
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas