Starsky & Hutch / Before Sunset / The Love Bug / Zorro /

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.
Jim of Seattle
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Keyboards
Recording Method: Cakewalk, EastWest Play, Adobe Audition, Windows
Submitting as: Jim of Seattle, Ants (Invisible), Madi Singer/Songwriter, Restless Events

Starsky & Hutch / Before Sunset / The Love Bug / Zorro /

Post by Jim of Seattle »

Starsky & Hutch
Saw it tonight on DVD. Enjoyed it way more than I thought I was going to. What worked specifically for me was the moments where they DIDN'T go for the gag, and instead gave the characters a moment to be real people. I was surprised to genuinely want S&H to get the bad guys and redeem their reputations. For a silly comedy, I couldn't find anything that was in that movie that didn't belong there. They managed to work the funny bits right into the story. Will Farrell was surprisingly restrained, making him funnier than I expected him to be. Also happy that it wasn't simply a "Ooh look we're spoofing the 70's" movie. Stiller and Wilson had good chemistry.

The exchange about Big Earl was the comedy highlight for me.

B+

Before Sunset
God DAMN but that Ethan Hawke is one annoying smug sonofabitch. Even more pretentious than the first one. Does Linklater understand anything at all about how to craft a story? What garbage.

HOWEVER, the last twnety minutes were full of lots of very convincing non-verbal communication between the two of them, and the sexual tension seemed very authentic, and I found myself pretty wrapped up ni that, just because I finally started to believe in the movie.

Bottom line: Those two are pretty decent actors when they keep their damn mouths shut.

C
Last edited by Jim of Seattle on Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Starsky & Hutch / Before Sunset

Post by j$ »

Jim of Seattle wrote:Does Linklater understand anything at all about how to craft a story? What garbage.
I agree with you for the most part, Jim, but have you seen 'Dazed & Confused'? His masterpiece, and one of my favourite films of all time. Can't stand the Before Sunrise/Before Sunset pseudo-wank.

Starsky & Hutch = big old OK. Didn't really feel the dynamic between Stiller & Wilson which would have made the 'aren't old tv shows funny & crappy' approach more enjoyable. Happened to see 'Shanghai Knights' last week, and felt that Wilson/Chan were a better combo.

J$
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

j$ wrote:Happened to see 'Shanghai Knights' last week, and felt that Wilson/Chan were a better combo.
They do make a fun pair. There was a second movie too, but now I can't remember if I liked it as much as the first one.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

j$ wrote:
Jim of Seattle wrote:Does Linklater understand anything at all about how to craft a story? What garbage.
I agree with you for the most part, Jim, but have you seen 'Dazed & Confused'? His masterpiece, and one of my favourite films of all time.
It's is an enjoyable film, but even there he can't tell a story. What makes DnC great is the characters (and the actors portraying them) and the fact that there's so many of them that 1) we don't have to really get bored of any of them, because we can just cut to someone else, and 2) we don't really care that there's no real plot, because there's so much going on.
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

15-16 puzzle wrote:
j$ wrote:
I agree with you for the most part, Jim, but have you seen 'Dazed & Confused'? His masterpiece, and one of my favourite films of all time.
It's is an enjoyable film, but even there he can't tell a story. What makes DnC great is the characters (and the actors portraying them) and the fact that there's so many of them that 1) we don't have to really get bored of any of them, because we can just cut to someone else, and 2) we don't really care that there's no real plot, because there's so much going on.
True. I guess I should have said he knows how to get around crafting a story in that film. When watching it, you feel like he's really focused his attempts to offer an alternative to linear plot structure. It may be a charade, but I don't mind being charaded for that film :)
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

HeuristicsInc wrote:
j$ wrote:Happened to see 'Shanghai Knights' last week, and felt that Wilson/Chan were a better combo.
They do make a fun pair. There was a second movie too, but now I can't remember if I liked it as much as the first one.
-bill
Shanghai Knights was the second. The first was Shanghai Noon. I saw the first and thought it was pretty tight. Didn't see the second. Reviews that bad scare me.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Please use one thread per movie, unless you're discussing the work of an individual.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

What if it was, like, a comparison of two movies that seem really different at first or something?

(Um, I'm not a mod or anything, I just think it'd be cool if someone did that.)

[Is that better, 15-16?]
Last edited by JonPorobil on Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

Way better.
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band

Post by jb »

Generic wrote:What if it was, like, a comparison of two movies that seem really different at first or something?
Yeah, that'd be cool. I guess what I mean is, let's not lump two movies together just because you saw them both over a weekend or something. Nothing against Jim, I just think that will be better for this forum over time, to go back and look at stuff. Already this thread is a mixture of comments on one or the other, and further diluted by my whingeing. So, that's all.

I didn't like Starsky and Hutch much. C+
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy