Milemarker - And why they are better then you!

Talk about how awesome the new _______ album is.
slowRodeo
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Milemarker - And why they are better then you!

Post by slowRodeo »

Milemarker is better then you, it's best to just simply accept this now.

From http://www.epitonic.com:

Code: Select all

It should come as no surprise that Milemarker traces its roots back to the influential and amazing Sleepytime Trio. Fans of that band should certainly explore Milemarker's sonic blend of hardcore and hardware. But proceed with caution, for Milemarker is not interested in making you comfortable: they want you to confront some of your darkest fears and most closely held beliefs and reevaluate them.

The band's music defies simple categorization, incorporating elements of loud, angry hardcore with flawless New Wave-style keyboards and a healthy dose of attitude. On their third album, Frigid Forms Sell, Milemarker defies expectation, opening with a 30-second techno track that is utterly befuddling until it breaks into a chunky stream of guitars. In other places on the album, singer Roby Newton bends and folds her voice like a technologized Siouxsie Sioux. Newton's sultriness combines with Dave Laney's raw screaming power to give the songs a grandiose urgency. 
From Jade Tree:

The Story
Here's what little we do know about Milemarker: They consider themselves a collective as opposed to a band. To boot, they are alternately known as the Milemarker Collective, the Milemarker People's Liberation Army, or the Milemarker Entertainment and Reprogramming Consulate. All of the band's members and ex-members bear identical tattoos of a multi-headed Hydra branded with the inscription "Cut off one head and another three shall grow in its place." And, umm, apparently their live show has inspired more than one case of self-immolation.

Okay. Whatever the case, Milemarker have executed three albums for the cause; the last of which - an angular and future-rhythmic venture called Frigid Forms Sell for the D.C.-based Lovitt Records - was as inspiring a rock record as any of the classic revolution songs. And let's face it: records carrying a forward-thinking musical intuition and an atypical approach to political lyricism just don't come along like this every day.

Milemarker's first release full length for Jade Tree, Anaesthetic, ignites further speculation on their high profile ambiguity before lending credence to anarchist author Emma Goldman and the subversive mantra she coined several years ago: "It's not my revolution if you can't dance to it."

About their CD Satanic Versus:

Entitled Satanic Versus, the record is all about conflict. For instance, analog vs. digital: half the record was recorded by 2-inch tape purist Steve Albini(watching him fearlessly splice your tape with a razor blade is pretty amazing) and the other half was recorded by Milemarker with the ironically name pro tools computer program. The old vs. the new, technology vs. ancient tradition, new world order vs. fundementalism-- this seems to be shaping up to be the defining battle of the 21st Century. The record is about 34 minutes long, and was released on vinyl by czech label Day after Records, and CD by Jade Tree.
Milemarker Band Website

Songs to certainly check out:

Ant Architect

Sex jam two: insect insest

Frigid Forms sells you warmth

more songs and videos available at the Jade Tree website.

Feel Free To Futher Discuss Milemarker Greatness.
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous." - Smalltown Mike
c.layne
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: Fuckin VSTs
Recording Method: Ableton Live 11
Submitting as: c.layne
Pronouns: he/him

Post by c.layne »

better THAN you
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Re: Milemarker - And why they are better then you!

Post by j$ »

slowRodeo wrote:Milemarker .....

..... the band's music defies simple categorization.

.... They consider themselves a collective as opposed to a band.

.... pro tools.
Three very good reasons to assume they are shit.
Tonamel
Push Comes to Shove

Post by Tonamel »

How is Pro Tools "ironically named?"

I mean, it isn't exactly the hobbyist's program to just pick up and tinker around with.
slowRodeo
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by slowRodeo »

i believe it's because the so called professional musicians who record using it. they mostly end up sounding like crap. for the most part. and i know several who have just tinkered with pro tools. of course i could be wrong and probably am. it was a quote i dont know.

and yes they are better than ME.you know i didnt just find this band and run, or as close as you can to run on the internet, over to currently digging to tell everyone about them so i can be cool. i have found cool bands from this because as close as i can approximate that is what currrently digging is for and i wanted to share. so there.

obviously no one listened to them because no one made any comments on the actual band. cranky McWhinealots. gosh. i would have appreciated a "i listened to them they suck", but no. not even that.
of course now someone will try and be funny and say that next. and now that i've wrote this its rather unavoidable now isnt it.
go ahead, its ok.
"I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous." - Smalltown Mike
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

Well, I didn't listen to them for two reasons:
1. your "they're better than you" annoyed me. even if it's true you don't need to say it. poor, poor marketing. you turned me off of the band immediately.
2. i try not to download much mp3 at work.
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, programming
Recording Method: Cubase, Reason
Submitting as: Balance Lost

Post by furrypedro »

HeuristicsInc wrote:1. your "they're better than you" annoyed me. even if it's true you don't need to say it. poor, poor marketing. you turned me off of the band immediately
Imagine if the first exposure you got to your favourite band/artist was someone saying "they're better than you", and you'd dismissed them because of that. How silly would you feel (well, you wouldn't feel silly, but you would be missing out)

as for ProTools, I don't see what the whole beef is. If a shit band uses it they'll sound shit. If a good band uses it it'll sound good, and have sod all to do with the system they used. Sure, it may lack some warmth, but that never made or broke a record imo, but then I'm not an audiophile.

anyway, Milemarker are okay I guess. I only heard a couple of things on Jade Tree samplers and I was disappointed purely because I wished they sounded like the Appleseed Cast song 'Milemarker', which inevitably they don't. They struck me as the kind of band who are way more impressive live than on record. oh yeah, they had a track on that Michiganfest DVD, that was pretty cool. Sleepytime Trio on the other hand a fucking incredible (if you like that kind of thing :D )
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

milemarker are very, very middle-of-the-road midwestern emo with an occasional foray into postrock/electronica stuff, but their electronica is _hella_ cheesy.

there's nothing at all interesting about them other than a different take on the same ol' same ol'.

the bands that did it before them: giant's chair, roadside monument, cap'n jazz, braid, etc, all at least still had some edge of originality.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

EMo music. A-ok, it' s fun.

EMo style. Lick my balls. It's the new mullet... man, I loved that vid. Can't rememeber where it is..

Right. Emo. Eat My Opression.

I'm really making no sense am I.

Must be something in the water.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

or the beer. :)
"You’re a little like heroin..." - Smalltown Mike
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

something in the bong water, maybe. :D :shock:
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

Kweep wrote:Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or the beer.
blue wrote:Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

something in the bong water, maybe.
hah! i win!
Leaf
Jump
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

wow.

YOU BOTH WIN FUCKERS.

uh... I cursed.
blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

Kweep wrote:
Kweep wrote:Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:49 pm Post subject:

or the beer.
blue wrote:Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:50 pm Post subject:

something in the bong water, maybe.
hah! i win!
.. yours was quick but mine was funny.

i'll pm the adress where you can send my fucker, leaf.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

does almost funny get me a blower?
Leaf
Jump

Post by Leaf »

blue
Ice Cream Man

Post by blue »

if anyone listened to those mp3s and thought this would be a cool genre to check out, try Refused (http://www.burningheart.com/refused/), one of the best bands evar.
Kweep
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by Kweep »

blue wrote:if anyone listened to those mp3s and thought this would be a cool genre to check out, try Refused (http://www.burningheart.com/refused/), one of the best bands evar.
bad ass band fo' sho' but doesn't sound like the same genre...

i'ma get all songfight reviewy... but... the mix on the milemarker stuff is lame... the sounds are awesome, but the vox are way too low.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

blue wrote:cap'n jazz
blue wrote:Refused
why, of all the bands, did Milemarker get a thread started about them?

with Analphabetapolothology and The Shape of Punk to Come in yer pocket you'll have all the punk rock you'll ever need.

I was played some of that DVD the other day, that bit 4 songs into the London show where the singer gets his faced rocked off by the guitarists headstock is brutal.
WeaselSlayer
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Guitar, keyboard
Recording Method: Garageband, laptop mic
Submitting as: Luke Henley

Post by WeaselSlayer »

I like Pedro the Lion.
furrypedro
Ice Cream Man

Post by furrypedro »

I tried to like Pedro; I listened to his albums and even saw them live but it just never clicked with me. I think most of it is a bit too ploddy. also, when I saw them they were supported by Stapleton whom I love beyond all reason (they sound a bit run-of-the-mill to a lot of people) so I admit I wasn't really on their side for the show.

and I've never heard any Roadside Monument, but I should check em out cos I like Unwed Sailor and stuff
jute gyte
Mean Street

Post by jute gyte »

I like Pedro the Lion's lyrics but don't really get into the music.
"I believe the common character of the universe is not harmony, but hostility, chaos and murder." - Werner Herzog
jute gyte