This could either be totally awesome or totally suck...

Organize yourselfs.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

This could either be totally awesome or totally suck...

Post by EightLeggedOedipus »

Hey dudes and dudettes, I want to make an album with you. Here's the deal...

It's all about ten (that arbitrary number of fingers that is the basis of Roman numbering systems). So here's the idea...

Ten personalities
Ten songs
Ten roles
Ten voices
Ten directors*
Ten themes
Ten titles

I know I'm going way out on a limb, but I think there's enough talented and creative people in this community to really make this buzz. Of course the ten titles would be songfight titles. But beyond that, it would be a strange community approach. For each song, there will be ten instruments. There will be ten themes that appear throughout the album (decided beforehand). Each song will have a "director" - the person who decides direction, gives feedback, and has veto power, but does not write or perform.

Ultimately, I really want to take these ten songs and have a real silver CD pressed and distribute 100 to each participant and we'll split the costs. I think it could be hot!!

Am I crazy? Crazy enough? Don't PM - Post!

(* - yes I know conductor or producer are music terms, and director is a film term. But I am imagining the director would be more responsible for the overall outcome than either of those two music terms connote)
Last edited by EightLeggedOedipus on Sat May 13, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

I 'll do something on it... I think... as in I'm interested... if time permits, blah blah.

YES. you are crazy. That's why it's gonna work!!!

..or peter off into nothingness...
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Re: This could either be totally awesome or totally suck...

Post by Eric Y. »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:Am I crazy?
entirely. if this gets off the ground, i'd volunteer to contribute something (but i don't direct well).
thehipcola
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: The things what make sounds.
Recording Method: LA610mk2 into UAD Apollo 8p into Cubase/LUNA/Reaper/Ableton/Reason/Maschine
Submitting as: thehipcolaredcargertFlamingTigershotpounderOGLawnDartsFussyBritchesGapingMaw

Post by thehipcola »

Crazy and cool... I'm in.
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

Count (get it?) me in.

I take direction well.
<i>"you kind of sound like Oscar the Grouch" -- Feldspar

"sounds like church camp stuff" -- Tricia </i>

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Glorious mess? Count me in ....

j$
Plat
Push Comes to Shove
Instruments: teeth and other bones
Recording Method: cubase, native instruments, waves, izotope, ears
Submitting as: The Cow Exchange, Eat It 'n' Mattress

Post by Plat »

Count me too! Metrically crazy.

Can you expand on what the "ten roles" means, and who is responsible for the mixdowns?
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

Plat wrote:Count me too! Metrically crazy.

Can you expand on what the "ten roles" means, and who is responsible for the mixdowns?
OK, so here's how I envision an example song

Here's an example of ten roles:

1. Director
2. Lyricist + concept
3. Keys + tempo
4. Turntables
5. Backup vocals
6. Lead vocals
7. Rhthym tracks
8. Arranging
9. Mixing
10. Post-processing effects

Now the director would be in charge of deciding these roles for each song, and the ten instruments, and the order things will be done. Of course, the director would also decide which instruments will be used, even though it might be differnet from the "roles"...

A. Analog synth pad (Role 3)
B. Distorted brass synth (Role 3)
C. Honky Tonk Piano (Role 3)
D. Sample from jazz record on turntable (Role 4)
E. Sample from children's record on turntable (Role 4)
F. Backing vocal in faux child's voice (Role 5)
G. Lead vocal (Role 6)
H. Electronic drum kit (Role 7)
I. Live bass through chorus pedal (Role 7)
J. Mic'ed hand drum (Role 7)

Of course (as I'm making this up as I go along) we would need to start with both an inventory of skills, instruments, likes, dislikes and abilities. And an establishment of the schedule of directors, liekly timeframes / conflicts / commitments.

It might take a few weeks before the first song is even attempted. We'd need to have an online meeting method (perhaps IRC) for discussing all the fixings for each track. I will probably set up FTP accounts specifically for this project when people are into it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see people are interested. Keep it coming.
<a href="http://www.mbeanis.com/0.html">Understand</a> my reviews. Voted best auto-wrecking record of 2005! "<a href="http://www.thedrinks.net/"><b>The Drinks</a></b>' - Grr!" available now.
Bjam
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: Singin', Guitarin', Mandolinin'

Post by Bjam »

Sounds cool. I'm in.
Songfighter since back in the day.
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Location: Northern New York-west of the Hudson and north of everything (except Canada-and those other places)

Post by Middlemarch »

EightLeggedOedipus wrote:
Plat wrote:Count me too! Metrically crazy.

OK, so here's how I envision an example song

Here's an example of ten roles:

1. Director
2. Lyricist + concept
3. Keys + tempo
4. Turntables
5. Backup vocals
6. Lead vocals
7. Rhthym tracks
8. Arranging
9. Mixing
10. Post-processing effects

Now the director would be in charge of deciding these roles for each song, and the ten instruments, and the order things will be done. Of course, the director would also decide which instruments will be used, even though it might be differnet from the "roles"...

A. Analog synth pad (Role 3)
B. Distorted brass synth (Role 3)
C. Honky Tonk Piano (Role 3)
D. Sample from jazz record on turntable (Role 4)
E. Sample from children's record on turntable (Role 4)
F. Backing vocal in faux child's voice (Role 5)
G. Lead vocal (Role 6)
H. Electronic drum kit (Role 7)
I. Live bass through chorus pedal (Role 7)
J. Mic'ed hand drum (Role 7)

Of course (as I'm making this up as I go along) we would need to start with both an inventory of skills, instruments, likes, dislikes and abilities. And an establishment of the schedule of directors, liekly timeframes / conflicts / commitments.

It might take a few weeks before the first song is even attempted. We'd need to have an online meeting method (perhaps IRC) for discussing all the fixings for each track. I will probably set up FTP accounts specifically for this project when people are into it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see people are interested. Keep it coming.
Wow. Sounds challenging, but fun. :) Hope it works out.

So, would you choose 10 directors, then they choose who they want to work with, say, from a list of willing participants?

<a href="http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/alb ... id=1503">G. Williker at Nowhere Radio</a>
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

This could be sweet ... I don't know if I'd be able to fit into any of these positions, but if I could find a way to actually help that'd be really fun.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

may i suggest spreading the assignments out a little more than a broad "rhythm tracks"?
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

tviyh wrote:may i suggest spreading the assignments out a little more than a broad "rhythm tracks"?
That would be up to each director, and his decision would be based on each participants' abilities, and time constraints. I imagine most tracks would have a separate drummer and bassist.

Although another approach entirely could be to have chorus musicians and verse musicians (each separate), or three or four movements. This is probably going to be CRAZY.
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

i'm interested!
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

I might have missed it, but were you planning on having the same 10 people on all the songs (with perhaps different roles on different songs) or different 10s?
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
catch
Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Post by catch »

This sounds complicated, but totally rad.
deshead
Panama

Post by deshead »

I'm interested in this too, 8LO
8LO wrote:Here's an example of ten roles:
Heh, that reads like the process we use when writing Gert songs (albeit with 6 roles instead of 10.) If our experience is anything to go by, this would probably run smoother if the director and "concept" roles are filled by the same person. Collaborative songs come together much more quickly when all the contributors have a fleshed-out song structure to work against.
EightLeggedOedipus
Push Comes to Shove

8LO wrote:the director and "concept" roles are filled by the same person.
Very glad to hear from you, Des. Waking Up In August is pretty cool. I especially liek the song about the bar (#10?).

Anyway, I shoudl have been more clear. The director is defintiely responsible for the song concept, as well as planning, scheduling, and follow-up. If Gert is an example, then I think this project would be more on the awesome side than the suck side.

Also, I had envisioned it being the same ten persons for all ten songs, although perhaps "understudies" would be a good analogy for bringing in other folks who might not have the means to work on all ten tracks, or to fill that many roles.
Caravan Ray
bono
bono
Instruments: Penis
Recording Method: Garageband
Submitting as: Caravan Ray,G.O.R.T.E.C,Lyricburglar,The Thugs from the Scallop Industry

Post by Caravan Ray »

I don't understand this at all - but I'd be happy to participate.
Give me a shout if you need me
HeuristicsInc
Beat It
Instruments: Synths
Recording Method: Windows computer, Acid, Synths etc.
Submitting as: Heuristics Inc. (duh) + collabs
Pronouns: he/him

Post by HeuristicsInc »

ok then, i could probably be an understudy but not an official-10-member (if you're interested).
-bill
152612141617123326211316121416172329292119162316331829382412351416132117152332252921
http://heuristicsinc.com
Liner Notes
SF Lyric Ideas
Reist
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Drums, Guitar
Recording Method: Yamaha AW1600, Reaper
Submitting as: Therman

Post by Reist »

I'd probably be a better understudy than anything else. If you need me, pm me. If you don't, I'll just cheer you on and buy a cd.
Middlemarch
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

Post by Middlemarch »

HeuristicsInc wrote:ok then, i could probably be an understudy but not an official-10-member (if you're interested).
-bill
Yeah, seeing as how it would be the same 10 people, I don't think I'd have the time for a major commitment, but like Bill, would be into being an understudy of sorts, playing 'minor' roles on a few songs.

Just curious: why not expand beyond 10 core players, inviting as many players as possible? I know getting 100 players would be near impossible, but it seems that the more, the merrier. Just a thought.