punch-drunk love

Because everybody thinks they have an opinion.

what is your recommendation for this movie:

go back to the used cd store and buy the dvd?
41%
rent it?
35%
look for it on cable?
12%
avoid at all costs?
6%
N/A (this option is for non-adam sandler fans, whose opinion doesn't count)
6%

Total votes: 17
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

punch-drunk love

Post by Eric Y. »

i haven't seen this movie, and i am looking for opinions on it.
the reason is, my sorta-kinda-girlfriend and i are both fans of adam sandler movies. even "50 first dates". yesterday we were browsing a used cd store and they had a copy of "punch-drunk love" on dvd. i asked her if she'd seen it and she said she hadn't (even though she's got a copy of practically all of his movies). she went to rent it when it came out, she said, but the people at the video store said it was stupid and so she didn't. and hasn't seen it still. i said that the same could be said about any movie he's been in, and she shrugged. anyway, please vote and/or share your opinion in this thread THANKS.
erik
Jump
Submitting as: 15-16 puzzle

Post by erik »

I enjoy Adam Sandler, and I usually like his movies.

I have seen other PT Anderson films. I hated Magnolia and I enjoyed Boogie Nights.

It wanted to see this film because I really was infatuated by the back story when I first read about it on the internet, years before the movie came out, and was eager to see its translation to the screen. I was disappointed that it wasn't used more and think that it could have played a more important part in the movie and really added something to it.

It has been said, and I agree, that Adam Sandler is playing the exact same character in this movie as he plays in all his other movies, just on the worst day of his life. Basically, Sandler still plays an understated mumbly-under-his-breath-aw-shucks everyguy who is a little shy and nervous around women and prone to manic temper tantrums.

If you'd never seen an Adam Sandler movie before, it would be a very effective look at a disturbed personality. But in light of his other work, it just feels weird. Some people think he pulls it off and that it's disturbing; I just think that he plays it too close to his other characters, and it feels like a failed attempt to be funny. I thought he should have done more with it, to just like freak the fuck out of everyone.

I thought everyone else in the movie was real good. The thing which kind of spoils PT Anderson movies for me is that they just end. Like, I sit there for a while, because I think that that can't really be the ending, because it has no more import than any other scene and there's no closure and it feels there should be some. Not that every movie has to have some sort of big grandiose ending, but I want something to tie off the film.

Overall, I liked this, but just barely, maybe like a C+. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is a fan of Adam Sandler's work. Or rather, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is expecting an "Adam Sandler movie".
jb
Hot for Teacher
Instruments: Guitar, Cello, Keys, Uke, Vox, Perc
Recording Method: Logic X
Submitting as: The John Benjamin Band
Pronouns: he/him

Post by jb »

This is not an Adam Sandler movie. This is a Paul Thomas Anderson FILM. Confusing the two will (most likely) not result in a pleasurable experience for you or your girlfriend.

I think Punch Drunk Love is terrific. Emily Watson is my faaaav'rite.
blippity blop ya don’t stop heyyyyyyyyy
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

Oh, and never refer to a woman as your "sorta-kinda-girlfriend", no good can come of it. I suggest "the girl I'm seeing".
Last edited by erik on Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

well, it's easier to say than "the girl who has been one of my best friends for many many years and is quite unhappily married for the time being and will be taking corrective actions in the near future once her financial situation is in order and who i have more or less been dating for the past few weeks although for obvious reasons i can't quite actually call her my girlfriend just yet."

[edit: gotcha.]
Last edited by Eric Y. on Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

15-16 puzzle wrote:I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is expecting an "Adam Sandler movie".
do you mean that in the same way that you wouldn't recommend "the truman show" to someone who is expecting to see a jim carey movie?
erik
Jump

Post by erik »

tviyh wrote:
15-16 puzzle wrote:I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is expecting an "Adam Sandler movie".
do you mean that in the same way that you wouldn't recommend "the truman show" to someone who is expecting to see a jim carey movie?
Yeah, I mean that in the same way.
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

My theory is that in Punch Drunk Love, Adam Sandler is portraying a borderline-autistic.

*******MILD SPOILER BELOW********

To support my theory, I offer the scene in the restaurant, where he is just completely overcome with everything and lashes out, destroying a bathroom stall. The soundtrack at that point becomes really harsh, each movement very loud, everything very shrill. This is kind of like some of the descriptions I've seen of how an autistic experiences the world. An overload of sensation, blocking everything out, so that the only way to contact the world is to lash out-- extreme reaction is needed to overcome the intensity of everything else, and know that the world is out there.

*******END SPOILER*********

That's how I watched the movie, and I was pretty much overcome by the whole thing, especially the love affair, and how gentle and patient she because, and how he grew over the length of the movie.

It's a moderately funny movie, and a tiny bit similar to I Love Huckabees, although much much better made, and much more thoroughly thought-out (it seemed to me).

If I were you I would separate this movie from Sandler's other work just as you'd separate, say, Spaceballs from The Elephant Man (which Mel Brooks produced).
j$
Beat It
Instruments: Bass, keyboards, singin', guitar
Submitting as: Johnny Cashpoint

Post by j$ »

Continuing in my theme of being diametrically opposed to just about all of jb's tastes (:) I thought punch-drunk love was a boring boring film.

I like Adam Sandler films, but I went to it expecting something very different because of tall the hype. So I didn't expect 'Little Nicky II' or anything. I found it incredibly boring, with flashes of nastiness just there to keep the audience from falling alseep.

[mild spoiler]

Like the bit when he goes crazy with the baddies with the lead piping. Or whatever it was *

[/mild spoiler]

There was no real link between the 'pleasant slow build of the kooky relationship' sections and the blitz of violent side moments. Most importantly for a relationship movie, you didn't actually like Adam Sandler's charcter. I think the problem for me was that it was half way between what it wanted to be and what having a big star like Sandler in it made it.

Good acting all round, though.

j$
starfinger
Panama
Instruments: electricity
Recording Method: traveler mk1
Submitting as: starfinger

Post by starfinger »

A+

i love this movie, and have watched it repeatedly, but yeah.. it's not an Adam Sandler movie.

-craig
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

I'm not a big Adam Sandler fan but I am certainly not one of the Hatahs. I've seen a good solid handfull of his movies and enjoyed them for the most part. For example, The Wedding Singer is an excellent film.

The one where he inherits a ton of money is very funny. Pardon the Rhyme
The one with Fairuza balk is also funny. But, I dig on Fairuza Balk so I'm biased. (Waterboy)

So, now you know where I stand on Adam Sandler. With that said.

Punch Drunk Love is an excellent film and not like anything he's done up to that point. I really really liked it. It's not nearly as mainstream NOR as funny as his previous films. It's not supposed to be. It's a very quirky film and I highly recomend it. For any of you folks who have ever felt eccentric surrounded by more well balanced people...this film is for you.

Good times.
tonetripper
Mean Street
Instruments: Bass, Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Sitar, Theremin, Lap Steel, Djembe
Recording Method: Cubase 6, Live 7, Reason 5, UAD 2, MOTU Ultralite, Mackie 1620i onyx
Submitting as: tonetripper, redcar, gert, draft and others

Post by tonetripper »

starfinger wrote:A+

i love this movie, and have watched it repeatedly, but yeah.. it's not an Adam Sandler movie.

-craig
Couldn't agree more Starf. I never went into this film thinking I'm going to see an Adam Sandler movie. This movie was all PT Anderson.

It was well directed as his others are and the characters and motivations behind the characters, from my perpective, had great depth.

I found it interesting JB that you would compare Sandler's character to someone who is autistic. I felt exactly the same way after the movie when I went to see it with my lady. I told her that I thought he was slightly autistic and we actually had quite a discussion about it. She didn't agree. So thanks for the ammunition. :wink:

This movie, along with Magnolia and Boogie Nights Rocks.

I think the thing I've always enjoyed about PT Anderson's films are the long steady cam shots. In all the movies there are these great long shots that, in my mind as a movie technician myself, are really hard to sync up with the cast and crew. The example I have of this is in Magnolia when they have that one scene where they move with the crowd, go into the elevator and hit the next floor where there is the game show or something or other. All the while with dialogue and movement of background. I heard that that one shot took two days to pull off as a oner. For those of you who don't know what a oner is, it's one shot that carries action with out edits. Brilliant piece of movie making. Rarely done in the hollywood format these days. For that I will always be a PT Anderson fan. That along with interesting stories and characters.

In Punch Drunk Love there are definitely a couple of examples of these long oners. As a sound man I love oners cuz you don't have to worry about overlap, background sounds interfering with edits and you know because of those thing that the crew is going to prolly do everything in their power to be quiet to get the movie magic going. Kind of like a one take wonder when creating music ie vocal take, cept with way more people involved in the technical process.

A +
Last edited by tonetripper on Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimtyrrell
Mr. Beast
Instruments: Guitar/bass/keys
Recording Method: Various. Mostly Garageband these days, actually.
Submitting as: Jim Tyrrell

Post by jimtyrrell »

I saw the movie at a friend's house, and went out and bought it the following day. A very cool film.
In retrospect, I probably don't NEED to own a copy of it; there are few movies I really feel like I need to own. But it is worth rewatching from time to time.
After seeing Punch-Drunk Love, I went and found copies of Boogie Nights and Magnolia and watched those as well. Boogie Nights was pretty good; Magnolia was better still; Punch-Drunk Love is my favorite.
Hoblit
Hot for Teacher
Pronouns: Dude or GURRRLLLL!
Location: Charlotte, NC ... A big city on its first day at the new job.

Post by Hoblit »

looks like I'm gonna need to ad 'magnolia' to the 'I don't gt it thread'
jb
Hot for Teacher

Post by jb »

Hoblit wrote:looks like I'm gonna need to ad 'magnolia' to the 'I don't gt it thread'
I don't think Magnolia is as universally liked as one might think. I know lots of people that don't like it much. I hated everything about it but the frogs and the songs.
Leaf
Jump
Instruments: Drums, guitar, bass, vocals.
Recording Method: Cubase
Submitting as: Leaf 62, Gert, Boon Liver, Leaf and Twig, Tom Skillman, A bunch of other stuff.

Post by Leaf »

hmmm.... punch drunk love... seemed more like a film about revenge and a lack of laundry skills...

I liked it, although I want to hate it, I watch it whenever it's on cable...worth seeing if only for it's demented perspective...
JonPorobil
Beat It
Instruments: Piano, Guitar, Harmonica, Mandolin, Accordion, Bass, lots of VSTs
Recording Method: Cubase 10.5
Submitting as: Jon Eric, Jon Porobil, others
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by JonPorobil »

Without having heard it elsewhere until Erik just now mentioned it, I walked around after seeing it saying the same thing: that Adam Sandler is still playing the same character he always does. Only this time, the world around him isn't absurd. It's not going to bend around him and be understanding and tolerant.

Spoiler Alert.

When he throws a hammer through a picture window, his sisters lash out at him. "What the fuck are you doing? What's the matter with you?" When he trashes that bathroom stall, he waiter kicks him out of the restaurant and he needs to explain to his date why they just got kicked out.

END OF SPOILER.

I thought it was a fine piece of cinema. Especially the sounds throughout. Those Anderson brothers certainly can shoot movies.
"Warren Zevon would be proud." -Reve Mosquito

Stages, an album of about dealing with loss, anxiety, and grieving a difficult year, now available on Bandcamp and all streaming platforms! https://jonporobil.bandcamp.com/album/stages
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

thanks everybody for your feedback.

i guess the response has been positive enough to intrigue me. i am a fan of more serious movies and a wide variety of non-sandleresque films, so as long as i go into it without any misconceptions based on the lead actor, it seems like i may enjoy it anyway. i'll put a review here once i've seen it.
Poor June
Panama

Post by Poor June »

ehhh it's interesting i guess... but besides one or two moments in the movie... it dragged... and was really boring... and kind of a let down... didn't think it was good at all...

i guess it had an alright story maybe... the xxx call service thing was funny...

ehhh that's just my oppinion
"You haven't been really bad in a long time." - jim of seattle

<a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/poorj ... htm">music page</a>
mkilly
Ice Cream Man
Instruments: guitar

Post by mkilly »

jb wrote:This is not an Adam Sandler movie. This is a Paul Thomas Anderson FILM. Confusing the two will (most likely) not result in a pleasurable experience for you or your girlfriend.
Yeah. It's a great film and I love it and I'd encourage a purchase of the film if one appreciates good cinema, but I wouldn't advertise it as an Adam Sandler film at all. Adam Sandler's an actor in this, but he cowrote "Gilmore," "Madison," "Big Daddy," "Waterboy," "Little Nicky" and "Eight Crazy Nights," and produced the films he's made from "Waterboy" onward (as well as crappy Rob Schneider crap like "The Animal" and "Deuce Bigalow.") PTA wrote and directed "Punch-Drunk Love," as he did with "Magnolia" and "Boogie Nights." So, yes, it's worth seeing, but not because of Adam Sandler.
"It is really true what philosophy tells us, that life must be understood backwards. But with this, one forgets the second proposition, that it must be lived forwards." Søren Kierkegaard
the Jazz
Push Comes to Shove

Post by the Jazz »

I went back and forth while watching this movie (at a friend's house) between "this is worthless garbage" and "this is pure genius". It really went from scene to scene... for one thing, I didn't realise it was going to be such a surreal film, I was expecting more of a middle of the road romantic drama. Also, what I heard in the papers about this movie when it was released was a lot of "oh, Adam Sandler, he's so great at dramatic acting," but really it was nothing he hasn't done before. He played his character in this movie exactly like every other character he played in his comedies, except only the awkward, depressing part and the really angry part. And not as over the top. That was my impression, anyway. A passable performance but nothing special.

So I really don't know what to think of this movie, and I don't think I'll watch it again, but it certainly did have something good enough that it's worth renting on the chance that you like it more than I did.

And screw The Truman Show - it's all about Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Let cake eat them.
Eric Y.
Ice Cream Man

Post by Eric Y. »

well while the polls strongly seem to suggest going gung-ho and purchasing the used dvd, but i decided to rent it instead. and bought a used copy of "50 first dates" for the girl i'm seeing. we haven't watched PDL yet but it's due by saturday at midnight so........

[edit: oh, i see that since i last checked, the poll has equalised between buy and rent.. so yay for me..]